Broken Boulder felsenherz
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
All Welcome 
set a day or two before the legion/rvw conflict but after the blizzard begins

below the boulder, mahler paused to lay himself down wearily. he intended to slumber a bit, having spent the last several hours traversing the tunnel to ensure it would not collapse or seal them inside. he had brought in what he had found unburied in the caches; even now, the gargoyle looked dismally at the tiny rabbit he had taken to his own rest.
but before he closed his eyes, he cast his gaze around for @Marble and for @Calcifer, hoping to answer any questions they might have about current goings-on.
[Image: 2711649b07fc604164cb120b1b417fa3cf47bccc_00.gif]
51 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Not going to lie a bit behind on pack events. This post might be a bit vague. I'll try to catch up before my next post.

Calcifer stood silent staring off into the rushing snow that blew through the air. It was his first winter and this... blizzard as they called it was something extraordinary and overbearing. It was fun to look at but Calcifer had to be reminded that he was not allowed to go out in it. The first time he had viewed snow he had been wary and protective of his sister before stepping out into it and letting it fall upon his face and tongue. He wanted to experience this blizzard much like he had his first snow. But he was obedient and stayed within the shelter.

Being in the shelter did allow him to be closer to the others within the pack. Though he appreciated the company of others, things seemed to keep popping up to keep him from it. This however had the opposite effect.

Due to a growth hormone disorder, Calcifer is very large.
He is the wolf equivalent of an 8ft tall man for reference
and has been mistaken for a grizzly bear in the past
but is closer to the size of a giant panda bear. XD

2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
theres a sitewide blizzard & not long after it began, mahler decided to go try to kick legion off their land so he could have it for rvw lol

star's son was quite a large child in a way the doktor did not understand. thus far it did not seem as though it overly concerned the boy; mahler watched him glance into the snow and taste it before returning to their camp. "it is a long wild out there, calcifer," the gargoyle grunted, rolling to a recline.
charcoal ears tipped in the pup's direction. "my mother used to tell me a story about the vay the vind howls in a blizzard. she said it vas the voices of the elders, telling somevone who is lost in the storm vich vay to go so they might find their vay out."
mahler wisely chose not to add that the aforementioned elders were said to be those lost in blizzards come to spare a living soul their fate.
51 Posts
Ooc — Raven
As he walked back into the shelter Mahler caught his attention. If not for his call to him Calcifer may not have seen the dark male. Calcifer's face lit up. A conversation with someone other than Mama or Marble. Calcifer had spent time with Mahler before, but any opportunity to socialize was someone was taken without hesitation. 

Cal trotted over to Mahler as he began his tale. A group of elders howling through the wind to guide those lost out of the blizzard. Cal turned his head towards the entrance and watched the wind rush by. "Someones lost out there? Shouldn't we help them?" Calcifer suggested worriedly for those who had lost their way.

2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
"i think they howl even if somevone is not lost," mahler said lightly. "i think it is just a sad sound." he smiled at calcifer, motioned the boy closer. "eventually it vill stop. and eventually the vinter vill pass. maybe vhen it is clearer out, ve should go for a hunt. how vould you like that?"
something thawing in his chest as he spoke to the child, some knot that had dredged itself there since thade had gone and phaedra had retreated.
51 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Mahler didn't say that there wasn't anyone lost in the blizzard, but he did mention that the wind would be howling for them even if they had found their way. As Cal looked out into the blazing wind he thought that it would be a tad humorous to get lost in the blizzard looking for someone who may or may not be lost. Humorous as it seemed, it was something to be avoided.

Mahler went on to say that this, along with many other things adults had told Cal throughout his life, would pass. Upon the change, a reward was offered. A hunt! Cal had done a bit of hunting here and there, the smaller game that wandered into the territory. He was not very skilled with agility or tactic, but if he got a chance to pounce or chop down on something it usually ceased its breathing.

Something that the adult hunted that was bigger and more challenging sounded fun. "Yeah I would!" Calcifer replied his tail eager and his grin large. "How long until winter passes?" he asked eagerly.

2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
"it can be many months, but listen. ve need only to vait until this storm goes avay," mahler explained. "i vill teach you how to hunt in the snow." it was a useful skill, and something fatherly in the gargoyle was pleased with the boy's enthusiasm.
it had been a long time since mahler had seen howl, and though he did not think ill of the man, he felt that the kaistleoki wolf had become a stranger to a boy who was in mahler's estimation a promising child. kind, intelligent, questioning. a credit to star, to himself, and to rivenwood.
51 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Months?! Calcifer thought. Only being 6 months old at the time a month was a long time, and several of them felt like forever. Luckily Cal could not have to wait 'forever' as Mahler offered to train him how to hunt once the storm passed. "Really?!" he said excitedly looking to Mahler as his tail thudded against the ground "Thanks Mahler!" 

Cal had 'hunted' before, or rather chased things around and occasionally caught them. But he hadn't had a formal training session before. He imagined putting his ear to the ground or leaping into the snow. Tactics he had seen other animals use, but unknown to him would likely not be successful for him.

"Can we make the storm go any faster?" he asked impatiently in his usual polite tone.

2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
"of course," the gargoyle rumbled, pleased at the joy in the young one. "unfortunately ve cannot. but ve can try to make the time go faster by telling stories." he crossed his wide paws, scarred now by many years of living and many miles of travel. "i think i vould like to hear vone of yours, calcifer, if you have time to tell it."
star's son and daughter were youngest-born to sagtannet, and some part of mahler knew he must seize upon this time. the children to come in rivenwood would not be fatherless, it was only that his blood would not be in their veins.
in the end, he suspected it mattered little.
51 Posts
Ooc — Raven
A small child-like irritated face came upon Cal's face when he learned the storm could not go faster. However, his face soon changed and turned to the side as Mahler suggested storytime with Cal bringing the narrator. "Uhh..." His eyes slowly wandered around the room as he searched the crevices of his mind for a story. He wasn't all that sure he could tell a good story, he hadn't been asked to before. "Ohh!" Cal exclaimed excitedly, "I've got one!... Wait. But you can't tell Marble about it. OK?" he asked looking up at Mahler.

2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
mahler grinned, a thump of his tail. "i shall speak of it to no vone," he assured calcifer, settling in for the tale. he wondered then if star would remain in rivenwood. thus far her loyalty had been assured, but he could not fault the woman for craving a stability mahler had thus far been unable to grant.
51 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Sorry for the delay. This thread got sorta hidden away. Feel free to wrap up if you would like

"OK" Calcifer said taking a deep breath in and out before the tone of his voice became serious. As serious as a little kid attempting to be serious could sound. "So you know how Marble likes to collect pebbles?" Calcifer asked Mahler redundantly. "She has me carry them for her. Most of the time they are sorta big so I don't worry but one time she gave me a small one. I didn't try to, but it slipped to the back of my mouth and I swallowed it!" he emphasized this clearly climactic moment. "I swallowed it, then I coughed, but I didn't tell her. I knew she would notice if one was missing and so I told her I needed water and ran to the stream. I got another pebble and brought them all back to her without her noticing a thing!" he said concluding the story of his most dastardly deed.

2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
<3 no worries!

mahler listened closely with a grin as calcifer began to speak in his childish way of his sister. marble did love her rocks and pebbles; the gargoyle scarcely saw her without them. to have swallowed one, however! he clucked his tongue and thumped his tail against the earth by way of applause. "that is marvelous, calcifer!" harrumphed the graf/
"very brave to have svallowed a stone and still run to get another," the man chuckled, shifting upright and moving to where he might closely monitor the snow. the wind continued to howl. "for such a brave child, i have a more perilous story," mahler laughed, and began again.
his tale-telling would go on until the storm abated.