Noctisardor Bypass hello, I watch you come and go
patron saint
are we all lost like you?
253 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Joining 
hopefully we squeeze in right on time...

They arrived at the borders a little after dusk.

He had waited until the others had left -- the others, simply Laurel and Xan -- and then, he had told @Kallik to say his own goodbyes, though there was little left living at Stone Circle to say goodbye to. Kove had chosen not to follow, and though Merrit wished to care for him, too, he knew Kallik needed security, somewhere safe. Kallik was a child - Kove, a grown man. An old man. Merrit had only stared into the face of one who toed the line between life and death once. When had looked into his grandfather's eyes, he had understood.

So they set off, he and Kallik, the two of them together, the final breath of Easthollow.

There was no pomp or fanfare to the announcement of their arrival. He encouraged Kallik to join him in calling for the leader of this place -- @Arbiter, as mother had told him -- and they settled in to wait.
with quiet words I'll lead you in
636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
He had nothing and no one to say goodbye to. He couldn't make himself return to Valette's resting place, he just couldn't do it. The numbness was cruel, he realized; all it did was delay the inevitable, making the onset of the anger and sadness hurt even more. There had been no warning. There had only been a random memory of he and Valette chasing rabbits—that had been a good day; he remembered how proud she had been of him. But that one memory had grief crashing down on him. He would never see her again. She would never be proud of him again. 

He was familiar with grief, but this time it was different. He had been so young when his mother had died. The sadness felt stronger now that he was old enough to really understand. At times, he felt like he might not survive how much pain he was in. 

By the time they reached the borders of Legion, he still had yet to say a single word to Merrit or anyone. He was practically despondent at this point—just going through the motions. So when his cousin urged him to call for the leader, he did. He released a quiet howl, his voice hoarse from disuse. Then he waited with a blank expression.
Inuttuk
Common
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Arbiter wasn't too far when the calls came up. They were unfamiliar to her, at least as far as voices went, so she turned her trail back to meet them. And as she approached, they were visually unfamiliar too, but on closer inspection their scent at least held some familiar tones. She'd been to their borders enough times over the last few years to figure it was probably Easthollow. 

Was the man then the son that Valette had spoken of? It wasn't like she was given a visual description -- unless she had and the writer hasn't gotten there yet. The other was much younger. So something else afoot? An inquisitive cant of her head, I am Arbiter, this is Legion. What brings you here? A simple question, but she'd best not assume. Never made anyone look good, after all.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
patron saint
are we all lost like you?
253 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Merrit had never met a wolf quite like Arbiter. She matched him well, size for size, and there did not seem a lick of her that was not strength and taut muscle. He would not have described her as beautiful; beauty was too dainty a word for the presence she commanded.

"Arbiter," he met her with a vacant dip of his head, "I am Merrit, and this," he tipped his muzzle toward his cousin, and introduced for him, since he did not expect him to say anything, after having said nothing since Valette had died, "is my cousin, Kallik." His ears tipped downward, the only betrayal of the sharp grief that passed through his chest and cracked his facade of stone. "There was an earthquake," he paused without wanting. Say it - but he had not yet said it aloud - and he still stole time, as long as he could.

"We are all that is left of Easthollow." Xan and Laurel sought different pasture. Ikiaq had disappeared, alongside Taktuq. Selamuit and Siarut? What of them? And what had happened to West, Polaris? Who would tell them, when they returned, and found Stone Circle vacant and abandoned? It was too much to think about right now. Kallik's safety was his priority, bringing him somewhere he would be protected from Ursus and the snake who led them.

But what remained? Arbiter would know, from his deflection. Surely. His mouth felt dry. He stilled, unnaturally.

"Valette is dead."
with quiet words I'll lead you in
636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
Their calls were swiftly answered by a stalwart woman who introduced herself as Arbiter. He wondered if she was the leader here or just one of the warriors protecting the borders. Regardless, her presence more the demanded his attention, and so he watched her with wary eyes, careful not to meet her gaze. 

He was thankful that Merrit took control of the situation, sparing him the uncomfortable task of talking. He wondered if he would ever be the type to take control like that. Or to demand attention like the woman who stood in front of them. Sometimes, he felt like he would be a mess of grief and awkward silence for the rest of his life. 

His thoughts returned to the meeting when his cousin began to explain why they were here. He wasn't sure he could do the same. Speaking of Valette felt impossible—too painful. And his declaration that Valette was dead was like a knife through his heart. It was like he was experiencing the traumatizing event all over again. He could see the stone fall slowly before landing on the matriarch of Easthollow. He felt sick and like he couldn't breath, but he was trying his hardest to hide it from his present company. He didn't like to be emotional around others, and he didn't want to give Arbiter a reason to turn them away.
Inuttuk
Common
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian

Hm. Not the name she was expecting. Actually, Merrit might be older anyway. But what he'd say next would only dredge up a few more questions she'd have, ones that she wasn't quite ready to ask -- they were comparatively unimportant, they would wait. More disasters.

It took a lot to make Arbiter be outright shocked or confused, at least enough for it to show on her face as it did now -- though still a subtle thing, it was Arbiter after all. The world was a foolish place, she expected nonsense, but not like this. A moment of silence, blink, while she processed this, I was just there not long ago to speak to her. And now she and how many others were gone? I'm sorry for your loss, she looked between them both as she said so. The boy, Kallik kept quiet. A tough time for him, understandably. If it's just you two, are you traveling somewhere? I had offered to help Easthollow. If you need refuge, you can come with my wolves. Arbiter had promised to help Valette however she could. Honestly, though, she hadn't expected it might end up being like this. Will expand on what the heckers is goin' on in the pack in the next post hopefully, clarifying that nonsense OOCly anyway.

Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC