Emberflame Ridge Broken Compass
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Limit Two 
For the first time ever in her young, short life, Malila had found that her world was completely ripped apart. Kaisteloki had crumbled, their members scattered to the wind. Her father had long been absent. Her brother, Mohe had gone missing. Worst of all, Blizzard conditions had overtook the land. These were no passing snow storms. This was monster, that seemed to go on and on, un-relenting. Traveling was risky at best.

But not all was lost. Even as the remnants of dried tears stained her cheeks, a familiar figure hovered at her side. Through it all, Malila still had her mother. Speedy. The nurturing and loving female she had known all her life, remaining a constant, even now. Deep in her young heart Malila somehow knew that her mother would never let her down. Never let her fall to ill. 

They had crossed through rugged and unfamiliar terrain. Weaving their way through the looming mountains of the Sunspire. The going was tough on her young body, her paws used to much softer, more forgiving earth and grass as opposed to the icy stone. Huddling close against Speedy's side, she peered up at her with an uncharacteristically pitiful groan. "It seems to go on forever. Will we ever make it out?" She complained, unaware that they were just cresting a ridge that would guide them through a slightly more forgiving but hardly welcoming patch of forest.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
She had three thoughts rotating through her mind as they hastily made their way into the mountains. The first thing she had thought once the initial shock of it all had worn off was that she needed to get as far away from Moonspear as she could manage. She had no idea what things were like there, but without the protection of a pack, she and her daughter were as good as sitting ducks. She would not let Malila pay for her past mistakes. Her second thought was that she needed to get her daughter somewhere safe as quickly as possible. But it was not such an easy task; she knew no one out here anymore. For the entirety of Kaistleoki's existence, she had stayed mostly there, raising her children and healing the pack whenever it was needed. she had lost any connections she had made while on her own and exploring the wilds. And the third and most painful thought regarded her missing son. They had been separated in the storm, and she could not drag Malila all across the lands to try and find him. She needed to get her to safety first, and then she would search for @Mohe. The decision tore her apart, but she felt like she had no other choice. 

She knew this was going to be a difficult trip for Malila; she had never traveled this far before and she had never suffered so much change nor difficulty—Speedy had always made sure her children wanted for nothing and that they always felt safe and content within their home on the river. She never dreamed they would be displaced and on their own in the middle of winter and in the middle of a never-ending winter storm. How could she have known? She felt guilty for sheltering her children so much, but she had honestly believed it was in their best interest. Now she wasn't so sure. 

The healer looked down at her daughter with sympathetic eyes. I know, sweetie, she offered, touching her nose to Malila's pretty cheek. We will. You just have to take it one day at a time. Focus on the steps you need to take now. She looked around. Their only saving grace right now was the heavy forest that spared them the worst of the storm. When they reached a heavily-covered region, she slowed. Do you need to rest for a little bit? She had to weigh their need to find safety with her need to care for her daughter who was not used to any of this.
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
She sighed, leaning up close into her mother's touch. She couldn't imagine what she would do if Speedy wasn't here. Probably panic and cry until she had no more tears left to shed. Her words were encouraging, but she found them hard to believe. "It's just so different than home. But I will try." She sniffed with a promise.

Malila moved slowly, letting her deeply rooted base instinct guide her. The rough terrain felt strange under her paws, but after many unsure steps, she began walking more methodically. Testing the earth gingerly for the best footing. One leg after another, while her muscles burned. Her delicate paw pads, so used to nothing but lush grass, were growing sore and raw. 

She squinted her eyes shut, not so much as to block out the discomfort, but the sheer lack of plant life in this forest. As an avid nature lover, it broke her little heart to see so many blackened trees. It was wrong...unnatural. The sooner they got out of here, the better. But who knew what waited beyond for them. She nodded, taking up the offer. "Uh huh. Just for a while. My paws aren't used to this."
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
I know it is, she said softly, her expression filling with sympathy and her heart with guilt. This is just one thing we have to get through. I promise it won't always be like this, she assured her daughter. Sometimes, we have to get through something difficult to find something good again. They couldn't control what happened at Kaistleoki, but she would ensure that they would find somewhere safe again.

Malila said she needed to rest and Speedy lead them to a small stream the ran down from the mountain. She was without any of her herbs; they had all been destroyed by the storm—everything she had worked so hard to build was just gone. And now she was unable to give her own daughter anything to help with her sore paws. Come sit in the shallow water, she instructed. It will help soothe your feet since we don't have any plants to help. The cool liquid would at least give her some relief.
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Malila nodded, swallowing a lump in her throat. "I believe you. I'll try and be strong, for you." But deep in her young heart, she was more skeptical. After having known nothing but a cushy life, now to suddenly be thrust into the bitter world, Malila would only believe it when she sees it. She has never experienced such before, but still held faith that her mothers words held promise. She had never let her down before, after all.

Guided to a chilly, gently flowing little stream, Malila was reminded ever so slightly of her beloved herbs and plants. Water was a giver of life, nourishing not just the flowers she loved, but all living things. She sighed at the memory of the fragrant herbs. Of their vibrant colors and textures. If only they could have saved some, they would have been such a source of comfort to the lone pup. She would have to make do with the water instead, and her memories. Gingerly she dipped her paws in, wincing at the sharp sting that ran through her pads and up her legs.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Malila's words had tears threatening to form in her eyes, but she held them back, not wanting to upset her daughter anymore than she already was. I know you will, she said with a loving smile. But even if you find that you can't be strong sometimes, that's okay too. Speedy didn't want her putting unnecessary pressure on herself. 

She winced when Malila winced, wishing she could do something more for the pain. when she settled, Speedy took a seat next to her and offered a few quick kisses to her cheek. I love you so much, the healer said. It wasn't a home or a warm meal, but it was important that she knew that.
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
She shook her head. "But I want to try. And I will, for you." She promised. With her mother sitting down beside her and offering kisses to her cheek, Malila instinctively leaned into the touch. The coldness of the water was taking effect, soaking into the worn skin of her pads. The ache was still there, but not as strong. Over time, Malila would discover that the more she handled rocky terrain, that her paws would toughen up as well. "I love you too. I am just glad I still have you." Her stomach clenched and she looked around, hopefully for the faintest trace of anything edible.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
She wasn't surprised to see the stubborn streak in Malila—she was her daughter, after all. Okay, sweetie. We'll be strong together. She had no doubt Malila would put all of her will into her promise.

Speedy looked down at her daughter's paws as they soaked in the water. How do they feel? she asked. The healer embraced her as she leaned into the offered affection. That was when she heard the rumble of her stomach. You must be hungry, she said, wishing it was as easy to feed her now as it had been when she was just born. I'll search around us and see if I can find something. There must be some kind of small animal she could catch—just something that could ease her daughter's hunger would be sufficient.