Lone Star Mountain kids on whizz
All Welcome  February 17, 2021, 02:12 PM
Haunt
Sapphique
Sapphire
Tracking wolves was really no different than stalking prey. Haunt spent quite a bit of time afield lately, determined to locate @Arbiter, @Royal and the rest of Legion. Today's search led her west, toward the mountains. When she realized she recognized her surroundings, it gave Haunt pause as she reflected on that fateful day when she and @Vex had been hunting for their father together. It was ironic in a lot of ways, she noted, even as she continued her solitary search for their mother and sister.

When dusk fell like a thick woolen cloak, Haunt decided to bed down for the night. As she looked for someplace to settle, she unexpectedly came across a pale figure curled up on the rocky ground. She went rigid and squinted, studying the sleeping wolf from a safe distance. Haunt deliberated between waking her or moving on without disturbing her rest.

Before she could arrive at a decision, the she-wolf roused and blinked sleepily at her. "Um," the stranger said groggily, pushing upright, "hello."

"Sorry," Haunt quickly said, "I didn't mean to creep on you. I was just looking for somewhere to spend the night when I stumbled across you there..." As she spoke, she slowly padded closer. "I'm Haunt."

"It's okay. My name's Meerkat," the sandy yearling replied. "What鈥" Her voice was cut off by an intense yawn. "Sorry. What brings you here?"

"I'm looking for my mother and sister," Haunt explained, diving into a quick rundown of the situation and including descriptions for each.

"Sorry, I haven't seen them," Meerkat said, shaking her head apologetically.

"What're you doing out here by yourself?" Haunt couldn't help but wonder, finally taking a seat.

"I'm on my way home from a trip to Sapphique," Meerkat shared.

"Really? That's where I live," Haunt interjected, then apologized and waved a paw for Meerkat to continue.

"Really?" Meerkat echoed. "I was actually trying to visit my dad there but it turns out he died a couple months ago. Um, did you know him, by any chance? His name was Kaertok."

"...uh..."

Eventually, Haunt managed to find her voice and articulate again. She and Meerkat stayed up until the wee hours of the morning, talking about their connections. Much as she hated talking about Kaertok, even indirectly, it was a little incredible to find out she had a half-sister. And though she got a strongly melancholic vibe from Meerkat at first, the discovery seemed to uplift her too.

They slept side by side, then Meerkat said she needed to get home to Firefly Glen. Haunt nodded farewell, lip twitching at the invitation to visit sometime. "Definitely," she said quietly as her older sister disappeared, Haunt pivoting to resume her search.
February 21, 2021, 11:03 PM
Arbiter
Lone Wolves

Things had become clearer in a way. It made some choices easier, and others harder, but being herself meant that regardless of difficulty, she made a choice and she did so decisively. It wouldn't necessarily make people happy, but that was the way things went -- the right choice was not always the one that brought smiles. She had the safety of the majority to think of, that and the future.聽

She was some ways off from where Haunt was, and not taking a route that would have taken her by if Haunt had kept static. Her path was headed towards Sapphique. Probably her last time by there -- they weren't really her allies and she had other plans. Sure, things could change, but it was more to pass information along than anything. It was the way the world worked. She walked on, through the lowlands and heading north.
February 22, 2021, 02:23 PM
Haunt
Sapphique
Sapphire
The morning sun peeked out from an otherwise overcast sky and Haunt paused to admire the tepid sunlight chasing away the craggy shadows. While she stood there, she decided it was time to send up a howl. She shut her eyes, pointed her pale muzzle toward the sky and let one loose. By the time her eyes reopened, the sun had slipped behind a cloud again.
February 25, 2021, 03:20 AM
Arbiter
Lone Wolves

The voice was familiar enough. She stopped, ears tilting for the source. She had the length of it to try to pinpoint where her daughter was -- a small spike of annoyance that it seemed even now that she couldn't stay home and safe. As the howl started to fade, Arbiter raised her head to reply, calling back across the landscape.聽

Arbiter had wanted to speak to her daughter, but she hadn't expected to run into her here. Would this save time? Probably not unless Vex was with her. Arbiter might not exactly be a picture of a good person, but she had her own standards and morals to work by. She walked slowly in that direction, then paused, looking for motion. It would be easy enough for Haunt to blend in with the snow unless she'd gone and gotten a dye job somehow. Arbiter herself would be easy to spot, out in the open, her few dark markings against the snow. It would be good to see her, even if the girl might not like what she had to say.
February 25, 2021, 12:22 PM
Haunt
Sapphique
Sapphire
The air grew chillier for the sun's absence but Haunt paid it no mind past an idle observation. She remained rooted to the spot, listening, just in case. She didn't really expect anything. Arbiter hadn't returned any of her previous calls, so she must be out of earshot.

Her heart leaped into her throat when a familiar howl rose up in response. Haunt immediately pinpointed the origin and raced in that direction. It wasn't too long before she saw Arbiter in the distance, walking slowly. Haunt scrambled toward her mother, stumbling on some loose scree and nearly eating shit before recovering at the last second and closing the distance.

"Mom!" Haunt said, immediately bumping her snout beneath Arbiter's muzzle. Despite their somewhat strained history of late, she was immensely glad to see her dam, and in good shape. "Vex and I went to visit at the bypass and鈥" And, well, the rest was obvious. "I'm so glad I found you."
March 02, 2021, 02:40 AM
Arbiter
Lone Wolves

She was glad to see her, and in one piece. But of course she moved with her usual patience and lack of rush. There were no emergencies any more. Decisions made. Of course she did give her daughter a visual once-over, a couple of wags of her tail in greeting with a brief touch of her nose to Haunt's forehead.

Arbiter filled in blanks, with a sense of聽derision at it all, And a man who had wanted to barter for land instead decided to show his scum-like colors and how little his words were actually wroth聽while I was searching for you. Before it had taken some effort to finally get him to suggest a trade that聽would have been to our benefit and worth the trouble, I'd have been happy to accept if he'd bothered. But no. And no matter what way things cut, the thing was that everyone had done the forgivable and done some fairly unforgivable things -- broken their word or their loyalty.聽And apparently some of the wolves of ours that had professed either fighting skill or a desire to protect their home ran whimpering.聽A scoff, It's bad when your brother is the only one with a spine. Warlock wasn't known for being the most brave nor bold.

She shook her head, moving on, Are you still doing well, then? And聽I was going to find you and Vex. Is he near? A quick scan of the surroundings suggested probably no. She didn't want to repeat things twice, nor did she think it ideal to just let her son hear things secondhand.
March 02, 2021, 10:15 AM
Haunt
Sapphique
Sapphire
Haunt listened raptly to Arbiter's every word, though she couldn't say she fully understood what had transpired. It seemed her mother had a history with the man who'd greeted herself and Vex at the bypass's borders. She'd been thinking of trading their land? Haunt didn't fail to notice the mention of Arbiter's search for her and how it evidently played a critical role in how this had played out in the end. She refused to feel guilty for that, though she understood how betrayed her mother just feel by all this, particularly her own subordinates' inability to defend their home in her stead.

"Warlock?" she wondered aloud, hoping he was okay. "Yes, I'm fine. No, he isn't with me right now." Haunt naturally wondered what Arbiter and what was left of Legion would do next. She could suggest they consider Sapphique, though Haunt coveted her independence and freedom there. Besides, she could not imagine Arbiter submitting to anyone, not even Erzulie and Rosalyn, so that begged the question, "Where are you living now?"