Noctisardor Bypass it's easy for a slip to turn into a stumble
you're the unbreakable heart
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
All Welcome 
Initially, Laurel had just wanted to make a good enough impression because she knew she could not show her true face. Wearing a mask was the easiest way to wriggle herself a way into the hearts of these wolves so that they would not cast her out so easily. Where she didn't have to try to be anything other than she was at Easthollow and stayed to herself most of the time, here she knew she needed to bring something more to the table. Over time and mostly, over moving here and talking to Mahler a little bit -- over opening up to him without feeling like someone was trying to pry her open like a stuck clam -- she found that keeping up the mask became easier, though, and that it was becoming harder to tell when she was holding the mask firmly in front of her true face and when glimpses of herself were showing. It was strange and confusing, but also nice in some way. A promise for a better future, perhaps.

The promise of flowers in spring made her feel unusually giddy. Even the fact that Xan wasn't here right now did not ruin that for her. Even though you know he abandoned you, don't you? Just like they all did. But there were other wolves, new wolves here, and perhaps... Perhaps some would bring her joy again. The thought was frightening, but exhilarating in some way too.

Laurel wandered along the Bypass' borders, on the western entrance. A cool breeze danced through her fur as she looked out into the world. Clouds were ahead, showing promise of snow in the nearby future.
Napatuqvik
Sangilak

“We are all eaters of souls.”

Dan Simmons, 'The Terror'

1,189 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Mapping the bypass proved to be a joy for Kigipigak. He had never beheld a place so full of life, at least not one that he had ever lived in.

His home village had been a place of constant cold; then there was the Watch, which had prolific trees standing proud around a massive lake, and that had impressed him to be sure.

This place, however, held even more than that. He spent many days investigating different paths and studying the topography between the scything mountains. During one of these explorations he came across a winding path that soon spat him out along the western edge of the bypass, and he was not alone.

The woman looked content to be on her own. She wasn't focused on the area around herself so far as Kigipigak could tell, and he did not want to disturb her. If he could move quickly and quietly enough perhaps they would pass by one-another and he would go unnoticed — but he wasn't nearly as quiet in his movement as he thought himself to be.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Laurel stared out across the lands ahead until she caught movement in the corner of her eyes. She turned her head and watched as a man came down one of the winding paths on the Bypass' mountainsides. She hadn't explored those herself, as she had not grown up on mountains and knew little of them. They were a bit daunting for someone in the middle of her life to try out now, although she had considered the thought. Maybe she ought to ask someone to guide her, some day.

Maybe him, said the voice, not in a helpful way — but in a way that suggested something else, that she wanted something else from him. Laurel gritted her teeth as she ignored the voice even as he added in sultry tones, dearest.

Instead she decided to focus on the wolf who seemed intent to just pass her by. There was a pit in her stomach; she felt as though she would crack from the pressure of approaching another man. However, Laurel pressed on, knowing she had to make the best of this new home. However much she loathed that, it included getting to know the rest of her pack mates. She had to push through this, somehow.

Her heart pounded in her chest and it must be clear to any wolf receptive of these signals just how nerve-wracked it was for her. There was a broad smile put on her face, a complete mismatch with how nervous she was, and she wagged her tail as she approached him and chuffed in friendly manner (unaware that he had thought to have gone unnoticed).
Napatuqvik
Sangilak

1,189 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Having garnered the attention of the woman, Kigipigak should have stopped to share a friendly moment with her. Instead he remained oblivious to the fact he had been spotted; he did not see her awkward smile or look up as her trajectory shifted. Kigipigak was focused on keeping a low profile and continuing with his work.

He drifted by her like an aimless cloud, leaving her to follow after him to try and correct his mistake, if the desire struck.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Did he... Ignore her? Laurel frowned as he moved by her, seeming oblivious to her presence. She'd tried to alert him by making a sound, but it went completely unnoticed by him. Laurel should've been relieved, but she knew that she should approach him, try to make some friends. Just pretending that all the men in Rivenwood did not exist would not make her any safer. If anything, it makes you less safe, dearest.

Hey, you, Laurel called after him, a bit sharper than she had intended. Even though being ignored was pretty much what she wanted, she could not help but feel just a tiny bit butthurt that he was ignoring her, too.
Napatuqvik
Sangilak

1,189 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Living here had not been a difficult thing, especially so with winter on its way out, and Kigipigak wondered if he would make an attempt to stay beyond the length of the agreement; he had told Mahler that he could provide through the chilling months and had in turn been given the go-ahead to put down roots. Now, unsure of his decision around becoming a father, Kigipigak had begun to overthink other aspects of his life here.

He was not bound to anyone with great strength. He had no aokatti here. No woman would seek him to father their children without commitment and Kigipigak did not know if he could pledge himself in such a way. The words of Sequoia ate at him; she had been straightforward in her assessment of him and while it burned to hear aloud, he now thought of those words and reflected upon them.

Hey, you, came a voice — drawing him from roundabout thoughts.

He staggered as he paused, turning to look around. The woman was standing just shy of his path; he must have passed her by without notice. Huh? Kigipigak murmured as he caught her eye. Did you need something?
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Laurel had at least expected her words to bring forward some interest. While she feared the interests of the man initially, now she felt scoffed at to not receive any of them. She frowned as he paused, murmured something, and then asked her if she needed something.

Being ignored was something that lay very dear to Laurel's heart, because attention had been so scarce and it was a way of showing affection. It drew her back to the days when Reek suddenly had eyes only for Jhala and his children with her. However childish, Laurel scoffed in irritation and said, Never mind, I thought I was talking to someone with manners, but I must've been wrong. She was new here, and he did not even consider that meeting her was in their best interests as well as those of the pack. What an affront. Laurel felt deeply hurt by this, though she did not yet turn to leave.
Napatuqvik
Sangilak

1,189 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Kigipigak was surprised by the woman's reaction. He likened the sharp tone and response to Sequoia's, and struggled to think of what he had done wrong to cause so much upset among the women of the village. The only one not to be bothered by him, so far, was Praimfaya; he had not done anything to cause this, and yet the same feeling of irritation carried from woman to woman. At this rate he would never be welcome here.

The tension in his shoulders grew as he stood there, feeling his feelings for the fleeting moment they passed through him. Kigipigak frowned. I did not see you there and I am sorry. He expressed somewhat icily.

I am on my patrol, but I can stop that if you would like something from me. My name is — he remembered how Sequoia had butchered his name and so he went with an easier thing, that which he was named by Kukutux: Kiggavik. it felt wrong to share this private name beyond his snow-sister.

There is a cache not far from here. Or, I could hunt for something fresh if you desire it. He added after a beat.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Even though an apology fell from his lips, it was clear that it was not genuine. Laurel's expression instantly hardened at his icy response, even though the words themselves had suggested apology. Laurel frowned and she felt guarded. All men were the same, after all, and this proved it. Just a crack in his mask. Who knew what he would do next?

Then he started to play the victim, saying that he was patrolling but he could stop it if she liked anything from him. Get over yourself, Laurel thought icily, and she felt further chilled to the bone by his presence. But at the same time she knew that she couldn't just tell him all that she thought. What if he acted on all of those things (she thought) he said if she did not please him?

Laurel's demeanour seemed to changed considerably after that, her posture crumbling, her façade breaking down into a second façade. She looked away as he introduced himself -- Kiggavik? It wasn't exactly like Sequoia's list, she thought, but maybe she was remembering wrong -- and then she said demurely, I'm Laurel. There was a tremble in her voice that suggested her fear, no matter how hard she tried to hide it.

Then he suggested that he could get her something from a cache or hunt her something fresh. Laurel further stiffened and she thought back to... When I hunted for you, dearest. It was the seal of our love. There was a split second of pure terror shining in Laurel's eyes at the suggestion, but it was only a flash before her gaze hardened again. Another layer of façade slathered across. No, that's okay, she murmured, appearing almost bashfully. To him it must seem as though there were two wolves living in one body. I wouldn't want to bother you further. You can go about your way. Laurel waited demurely for his response. Her heart felt like it would beat out of her chest. Please just leave me alone, don't hurt me, she thought to herself and she hoped that her act was enough to appease him.