who stole my toe?!
1,172 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
All Welcome 
Today was the seventh day.

Sialuk stared at the spear, broken. Taataa nor brataa had been found. If they did not come by dusk, they would begin to sing the death songs. The songs she did not wish to learn so soon. Today, she sought a meal for @Adrastus, hoping he might come with news of her kin. She wove through the trees, eventually tracking down and taking the life of a muskrat. It was thin and old, but it was what she could offer for his kindness.

She carried it to the base of the small mountain closest to Moonspear, and it was here that she waited with it, dusky yellow eyes keeping watch for the wolf who would return today. If he did not, she would take the meal for herself.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
165 Posts
Ooc — Jess
He returned to the ring of mountains following his search, having found little but the scent of creatures buried deep below the snow and rubble on the mountainside. There was nothing definitive about what he'd smelled- simply that it was organic matter, buried low beneath the avalanche. Those who had fallen to the mountain's shift would be buried at least until Spring, he figured- and even then, some of them might never be seen again if they were crushed beneath the shifted earth. 

Sialuk had promised him a meal, but he brought with him the remaining portion of the mountain goat's haunch, rather than coming back to her with no good news to trade for the offer she'd made him. The sun had begun t set over the mountains beyond them, to the West, but he picked Sialuk out against the snowy landscape easily enough and headed toward her. He felt a heavy ache in his chest, knowing she might have hoped to see him come, followed by one of her former packmates. 

He set the gnawed haunch down in the snow before him, and caught sight of the meal she had promised him. "I did not find your family," He said in a low, quiet tone. "It would feel wrong to take something from you as you grieve. I brought this- for you and Kukutux."
Moonspear
Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,172 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
As he approached with no black fur behind him, Sialuk knew long before he spoke that he had not found them. Taataa and brataa were gone. Eaten by the strange storm along with the rest. No more souls who had once lived on the spear still walked this earth. Tonight, she and anaa would begin to sing the death songs. The raindrop quivered, but she did not collapse under the weight of this news. In her heart, she had known, even though anaa had said to hold hope.

It is not take, but gift for you, she said, pushing the muskrat toward him. It was not much, but it was what was promised. We make an exchange of gifts. I thank you for searching. The star—did you find the one that lit up the sky and caused the strange thunder?

Speaking of this was easier than speaking of what had happened after. It was what Adrastus had gone in search of for his own reasons.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
165 Posts
Ooc — Jess
The corners of his mouth pulled down in a mild frown when she refused to accept his gift. Perhaps, then, it might take a bit more finessing to get her to accept it. She asked about the star on the mountain, and he shook his head. "The snow is too deep. I don't think it will be practical to search until the snow melts." He admitted. He felt that Sialuk had likely been brought up in a respectful culture- simpy by the way she carried herself, masked her grief, and approached fair trades, so in not wanting to seem impolite, he stepped forward to claim the muskrat she had caught for him. Not his favourite meal- but it would do. 

He stepped back, placed it on the ground, and then nudged the ram's leg toward her. "As proof that I can provide." He said. "I ask that I might remain in the area, with you and Kukutux, so that I might continue to search in the summertime. I can make myself plenty useful." He assured her.
Moonspear
Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,172 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
She pulled the leg of ram toward her with her teeth, placing a paw upon it out of instinct. When he requested to stay, Sialuk realized with sudden clarity why Raimo bothered her so. The dark fur had inserted himself into their lives. He had not asked permission, had not asked for their blessing, and had forced himself into a role of providing. The white fur, Adrastus, instead gently suggested such things, requiring consent before assuming what Sialuk and Kukutux might want or need from him.

This is most generous of you, Sialuk said. It will be blessing for you to stay until summertime. Whether or not he remained a part of their village when the days were longest, she did not know, but Sialuk found herself hopeful that the white fur might make a buffer between Raimo and herself. Perhaps Raimo could be taught how to be more pleasant as Adrastus was.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
165 Posts
Ooc — Jess
She looked somewhat wary, he thought, for only a moment- but to be fair, she was likely surprised to find someone so willing to join up with what was obviously a small family group. But Adrastus was a charitable fellow, who was concerned for the young woman's survival. He had yet to see any sign of Kukutux, wherever they were- and he found himself wondering if he potentially only faced Sialuk because Kukutux might have been shy or...Perhaps Kukutux didn't even exist. But given the fact that she accepted his offer, he had to assume that he would find the truth for himself. 

"Then I pledge myself to you, Sialuk." He said. He wasn't sure if he would be satisfied once he'd found the star, but at least until then, he could make himself useful. Perhaps in doing good for Sialuk, he might win himself some fortune for having performed charitable acts, and he might be rewarded with finding the star in the Summer. "I will stash this for later, and begin a patrol." He said, before he paused. "Unless there is something else you would like me to do?"
Moonspear
Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,172 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
It was strange to hear him pledge to her, specifically. Sialuk, still young, had always been considered mature for her age, but being thrust into this position would surely take a toll on her. She felt flushed for a moment, but she swallowed it down. Stash the muskrat so you may eat it later, and I will do the same with the goat meat. My mother, Kukutux, will greet you when the time is right.

Their grief would come in song this evening, and Sialuk knew that she would not wish to speak to anyone in the many days to come. Adrastus had been the last hope, and now that he had come back with no news of their kin and kith, she knew her worst fears had come to pass.

Take care, Adrastus. And meet with the others who have gathered here with us.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
165 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Her mother. That made more sense- and gave him a bit of relief to hear that while their pack had been split apart by the landslide, at least this little fragment of a family had been able to remain together. He could not help but wonder if Sialuk had other siblings, and perhaps a father who were missing- but he could not bring himself to ask. All he could do was assume that if there were any others, they had potentially been lost- in one way or another. The poor young woman and her mother had each other, yes, but they had likely lost so very much as well. 

"I will." He said. The muskrat would be hidden away, so that he might have something to refresh the energy it would take him to patrol and familiarize himself with the borders. He would give Kukutux space, as he felt it was likely on her schedule that their meeting would depend. But the others he felt certain he could seek out and get to know, while the village began to build itself.