Redhawk Caldera i hear the train a comin'
a boy named sue
17 Posts
Ooc — landry
Joining 
Tagging leadership ( @Towhee @Phox @Niamh ) but I welcome anyone to meet him!

Lenny did not like it out there.

All lone, all hungry, all so very cold.

This place's winters seemed far harsher than what he had experienced so far. So he would not like to cut it alone. Which meant he found his way here in a clumsy fashion. Not trained with the caldera's terrain, but having survived it nonetheless. Maybe a bruise or scrape here and there.

His sides heaved a bit as he looked at anything he could see. Signs of life were evident. Obviously so with the smell of well marked borders.

He tilted his head back to let out his unusual call before he flopped back onto his rear. A bit too exhausted for his liking.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,967 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She hadn't had a dizzy spell in a day or so now, yet Towhee still felt a little off and hadn't dared to move much or go very far. But it was only a matter of time before she fell prey to cabin fever and ventured out of the cave and made her way, slowly but surely, toward the borders. She couldn't stop glancing off toward Moonspear, her heart giving a squeeze as she wondered about Meerkat, Bronco and everyone else out that way. She still hadn't heard any official word.

Towhee wanted nothing more than to go straight to ground zero but she knew she couldn't, not in her condition. She was tentatively certain she was pregnant by this point too. Sometime in the past few days, her teats had decided to swell. She'd woken up to a scattering of fur on the cave floor just this morning. Despite that, she felt warm, which was probably what caused that persistent sense of malaise.

Abruptly, she found herself at the borders. And she wasn't the only one there. A little further west, she saw an unfamiliar figure. The Sovereign stopped, tensing. Should she approach, in her state? She deliberated a moment, then Towhee began marching toward the small wolf. He looked a bit like a coyote, which made her lip curl a bit as she came to a stop several yards away and demanded, "State your name and business."
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
a boy named sue
17 Posts
Ooc — landry
Oh boy, oh man.

This one looked all wolf. A real serious sort maybe? Especially with the way he had been greeted. Quickly he stood back up only to crouch real low to the earth. Bushy tail nervously swayed before it found a home under him. Tucked up against his delicate stomach.

'M Lenny. Head tilted...partially up and at an angle. Enough to provide her a view of his throat should she wish. Wanna join. Ain't like it our 'ere all lone. He explained with a nervous hum, eyes darted to look between her paws and the ground underneath him.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,967 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
If he was a coyote, even in part, there was enough wolf in him to behave appropriately in the face of her social cues. Towhee appreciated the immediate deference as he crouched, giving a subtle nod of approval as she ventured a little closer. She still didn't come quite near him, feeling very protective of the life only newly and tentatively confirmed as growing inside of her.

He tipped his head to expose his throat, which was unnecessary but also noted. "You don't have to hold your head like that. In fact, please don't. I need to be able to read your lips," Towhee told him, having missed whatever he'd said. "Face me and repeat what you just said," the Sovereign said evenly.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
a boy named sue
17 Posts
Ooc — landry
Slowly, his head turned and rolled back into a straight position. Then she said something more. That he had to face her and repeat himself. She read lips. Something he could only assume was like...a full on wolf thing, maybe. He didn't know because it was not often he 'hung out' with many of them.

Although he could not make himself look her in the face, his head was position to be directly at her so she could do as she had said.

Said 'm Lenny. He started off with, an uneasy sensation in his gut. Ain't like it out 'ere all alone. Wanna join.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,967 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Good, she thought when he turned toward her but kept his eyes low. It wasn't often that a stranger demonstrated such exquisite manners at her borders. She could even look past his resemblance to a coyote if it meant she would host someone who understood hierarchy so well.

"Thank you, Lenny," Towhee said, a little amused by that name for no identifiable reason. "This is Redhawk Caldera, if knowing the name of the pack you're trying to join matters to you." This came out dryly but, then again, so did most of her words. "What could you do for this pack, in exchange for membership? What are your skills?"

a boy named sue
17 Posts
Ooc — landry
That was a real fancy name. Redhawk Caldera. From her words he figured maybe he should have known to ask. Except he didn't and hadn't. It was not what he had been accustomed to. Most of the bands he clung on the outskirts to were a bit nomadic at times. No need for some fancy name.

Then she asked about his skills and that uneasy stomach feel seemed to multiple. Like it might have weighed him down deeper into the ground. Maybe if he crumbled apart he could get membership out of pity.

Probably not.

Mmm 'm good at scavengin' meals. Real good at runnin'. A pause. He had heard something fancier before. Some word some guys had tossed around. Scoutin'? If anyone knew the fancy name, he figured it'd be the one who seemed all wolf.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,967 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She hardly considered scavenging a skill. What canine couldn't hunt dead prey? And running wasn't important to her either. All wolves were capable of that too. Scouting had a bit more merit, though it was one of those trades Towhee didn't personally value as much. Especially with her own kids coming and going so much, she really didn't need any more of those.

"What about hunting? Guarding? Fighting? Are you any good at any of those?" she demanded.

a boy named sue
17 Posts
Ooc — landry
Oversized ears turned out at her demand. Lenny did not feel good at any of those things. He had not died yet, which should have spoke to something. Instead it hinted at the fact that he scraped by on others' existence.

Can learn. A pitiful answer and he knew it. Almost prepared to feel heat from her for such. Learn real good. Learn whatcha want. It would come out as more of a plead than any sort of offer.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,967 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She straightened a little at his response, ears pricking as if they'd picked up on the words. Of course, they hadn't, but his answer pleased her even more than the submission. Towhee licked her lips slowly, arriving at a decision.

"Yes, you can," the Sovereign agreed. "You do that, then check in with me in a month's time so I can see if you're making suitable progress." By then, she would be a new mother again, though she made no mention of that. "I want you to make a point to rendezvous with @Phox for hunting lessons and @Niamh for mercenary training. She can help with hunting too. You can also consult with wolves by the names of @Fennec and @Reyes for additional advice on fighting. Any questions?"

a boy named sue
17 Posts
Ooc — landry
She granted him approval, in his eyes. Agreed with his plea and fed him a list of names to learn from. A Fox and Kneev. Two other names as well if he needed more. At her own question he licked his lips and shook his head.

Nuh-uh. No questions. She had given him the tasks he needed to do. Still he did not move from his submissive spot and didn't think to speak anymore. Unsure of what else he could say.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,967 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She wasn't quite sure what he'd said, though she took it to mean "no" when no other words were forthcoming. "I'd give you a tour but I'm not—" Towhee almost said "well," then reconsidered. He was now a recruit, yet he was still a stranger. "—gonna," she finished instead, aware that she probably came across like an asshole. Oh, well. "I'm sure you can show yourself around," she added with a twitch of her tail meant to soften the unintentionally rough edge of her words.

With that said, Towhee turned to head back to the cave. She had come out here with an idea to patrol, yet she wasn't up for it anymore. This encounter had used up what little energy she possessed. "See you later," she tossed over a shoulder, deaf to any reply Lenny might make.

Welcome to RHC! I'll slap a title on ya. :)

a boy named sue
17 Posts
Ooc — landry
The thing was, he hadn't expected such a pleasantries and so he did not take it particularly hard when she declared she wouldn't show him about. Admittedly relieved by it too, less things to feel combustive anxiety about. He skittered off to skirt around the borders some more. He could see things from the outer edges and work his way in.

Thank you! Closing here. <3