Noctisardor Bypass i fell into my fear, and took a lie for a truth
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
<3

mahler perhaps was not surprised when laurel seemed reluctant to answer. the one she gave, however, was surprising; she seemed someone who avoided many types of conflict, even those imagined. and so, having seen for a split second the terror that she carried, he saw this as a good thing, that the woman did not feel obligated to accompany him.
wylla's voice rising with that again — mahler bid her good day with an answering rueful bow to his own mouth and soon left her alone, tracing his own pathway through the conifer woodland that bordered the lake.
there, alone, he brought the face most beloved in his heart to mind, and felt sorrow tint him again.
[Image: 2711649b07fc604164cb120b1b417fa3cf47bccc_00.gif]
you're the unbreakable heart
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Sorrow grasped at them both, for as Laurel sat there and stared at the lake, she suddenly felt very empty. It wasn't the same to be here without Indra. There was a budding trust with Mahler, but could she ever truly trust him? She wanted to, because she knew from experience that life would be hell if she could not, but she was not sure she could. Het resolve had been so strong, but now she wasn't so sure.

Because you know we're all the same really. Us men. Aren't we, dearest? Maybe that was why Mahler's departure made her so uneasy; it gave Iliksis free rein. No, she whispered hoarsely. She needed to believe that. Xan hadn't been like that. He'd turned her down when she was in heat. Peculiar, indeed, but then again... It felt as if he was looking at her, as if he was there and he was eyeing her up and down as if she was nothing but a piece of meat. A shiver ran down her spine. ... It's not like you're that pretty. Don't flatter yourself.

Laurel looked at the bluebird in the pine tree nearby, the one that Mahler pointed out. It did not seem so beautiful now, the future not so bright. A tear ran down her cheek. Light sobs of contained sorrow heaved her shoulders gently as a breeze danced through her fur.

Don't worry, dearest. You might be ugly inside and out, but at least you have me. You'll always have me.