Hideaway Strath in the truly gruesome do we trust
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
All Welcome 
When he'd entered the Strath Charles hadn't paid much thought to the skeletons by the pack's entrance and borders. Well, not actively, anyway. Now every time he thought about it he felt kind of weirded out, and he decided to check them out that day. Maybe because he needed a breather — in the form of the thought that he could leave this place any time he wanted, because the territory made him feel rather trapped — or maybe because he just wanted to be sure they were... real, or something.

He approached the skeletons decorating the territory's northern entrance cautiously. Scents of its leaders were heavy here. One skeleton was clearly of a large animal, though Charles couldn't quite place wha— the thing that killed Osiris and Leta —t kind of animal it was. Woah, that was weird, I spaced out there, Charles told himself as he blinked and looked away from the large skeleton, feeling a pit in his stomach as he forced the thoughts and images of Osiris and Leta from his mind. Then there were the other three, which were... Wolves? he thought to himself out loud, wondering whose skeletons these were (and not recognising that two were coyote and only one was wolf).
Healer & Shaman Priest
219 Posts
Ooc —
"And Coyotes" Came a deep voice as the over large white brute drew closer he was returning from the lands outside the territory, "I know bones well" Indeed the male had a wolf skull tied about his neck and it was filled with tidbit's of herbs he was intending on transplanting in the pack's Gaia's Alter never before had he such a rich area to cultivate.

He paused and looked over the male. This pack certainly did have it's share of hybrids, though that didn't bother him in the slightest. "I'm Vein, I'm fairly new to the pack, just about a month or so" He left his comment open ended hoping to garner some conversation from the male.
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
A voice joined in and Charles startled initially, but then forced himself to relax soon after. He glanced at the other wolf, who was coming towards the pack territory and seemed to be casually walking in. By his scent, he was probably a part of the pack. That was a relief; Charles didn't feel like he was looking forward to having to chase someone else out of here. He introduced himself as Vein. Charles got himself together and said with a grin, I'm Charles, the new fresh meat. As he said it he realised it could be misinterpreted and corrected himself, uh, recruit.

He glanced back at the bones and recollected the words that this Vein guy had said. Coyotes? Charles blinked and said, How do you see? What's different with coyotes and wolves? They look pretty much the same. Charles wanted to believe they were very similar, because Draper had said they were not, and, well, Charles wanted to believe he was as much a wolf as other wolves. He didn't want to be part dirty scavenger, even though he was...
Healer & Shaman Priest
219 Posts
Ooc —
Darn it make me go research then :D that was actually informative and fun

Vein smiled and moved over to the skulls even though he had a perfectly good example dangling from his neck with vines

He rolled the wolf over and carefully touched the back of the skulls head where the sagital crest was almost a fin looking shape on the back top of the head this would be just behind and yet between the ears if it had a pelt. “This is larger on a wolf” He moved to the coyote’s skull “This crest is far smaller in shape as well as size, on these two skulls and if you notice the bridge of the coyote muzzle is slightly narrower, the top of a wolves muzzle is broader.” He looked between the wolf skull and the coyote skull noticing something else “A coyote skull could be mistaken for a female wolf if someone doesn’t pay attention to the length of the muzzle, coyotes muzzle are slightly longer too.

Vein stepped back and appreciated the skulls for what they were “These were good offering to the gods, I think they were pleased.” He glanced to the male noticing for the first time the likeness he carried to a coyote, a hybrid then. He turned his attention to the Coy-wolf

Do not think to hard on your heritage; the gods and our pack does not care. There are even dog hybrids in the pack. The gods only care how well you serve them and I think by the sounds of it, our pack is much the same. Purebloods and those fanatical about ‘Pureblood’ are not favoured by the gods for very long; if they ever were.”   

Vein decided to ask since he was planing a ceremony soon. “Do you believe in the gods Charles?
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Much to Charles' horror, the other dude started to explain in grim detail the exact differences between wolf and coyote while pointing at the skulls in question. Charles felt his stomach sink and he nodded through it all, even though he felt even more uncomfortable now. Maybe he really was the only one who was holding on to the belief that wolves and coyotes were all just wolves, and coyotes were just.. well, smaller ones. Maybe he was just dumb.

He opened his mouth to ask some bullshit existential question about whether he looked more like a coyote or a wolf to this guy, whether he was a scavenger or a hunter, but before he could it was as if this guy already sensed it and filled it in for him. Creepy.

It gave Charles the chills, even though the words at their core were reassuring. He didn't know what a 'dog hybrid' was at all, so all in all it didn't make him feel much better. He also didn't know what gods were. He'd never heard of that before. Were the gods the pack's leaders, Charles could not help but wonder, considering they decided who was in favour and not?

Before he could fully try to process the words, Vein asked him if he believed in the gods. Charles swallowed thickly. He had told himself he'd be the cool dude in this pack, and would lie his way into fame like he had in Firefly Glen. But at this pile of bones, and with the threats that Nyra had given him when he'd lied to her, his courage was faltering. I... I don't know what gods are, the coywolf squeaked, suddenly feeling like a little pup again. He'd always been the dumb pup in whatever context. He'd always be the one with lacking knowledge and vocabulary and skills, because his mother didn't teach him much. Only Leta had made him feel capable at anything. She really saw him. And now he was alone again, and suddenly felt like a little boy again, totally clueless and much dumber than anyone else of his age — which was practically adult at this point.
Healer & Shaman Priest
219 Posts
Ooc —
Though Vein desperately wanted to know how this one was raised in wolf pack or by a coyote’s family group since rarely were coyote’s a real pack but rather a family group consisting of the mated alpha pair and several generations of their pups. He kept his questions to himself. This one seemed bothered, perhaps by his heritage or by the bones? he didn’t know. Were one of the bones that of a relative? 

Vein moved closer and nudged Charles cheek gently.  His voice deep and reassuring “Don’t worry, Sweetling, Worrying about things you can not change is a waste of time.

Vein lay down and shifted himself into a comfortable position, nudging the wolf skull full of herbs aside but making sure it didn’t tip over  “Would you like to learn about the gods? The great powers and creator’s of all things? I could teach you.” He wondered if he’d find himself on acolyte in this one or would he be squeamish about blood sacrifices?
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
When the other came closer, Charles' body stiffened. His tongue lapped out and tail tucked between hind legs as he expected a reprimand for his dumb confession. Punishment did not happen, which was both a relief — he didn't want the pain, his brain and his soul hated it — and a punishment on its own — his body ached for it, now more than ever.

Instead a gentle nudge that was eerie in its own way — Charles wasn't used to affection of any sort, let alone from a stranger — and then spoke words that held some soft quality, some caring. Charles blinked. Well, great, now he just felt worse about worrying because not only was it stressful on its own, it was apparently also totally pointless. Great.

He was asked if he wanted to learn about the Gods. Creators of all things? Charles blinked, wondering what a creator even was. He was not so sure he should say yes, but he nodded in the end, agreeing solemnly. Okay, he sighed, almost as if in defeat, but then he watched the man attentively, waiting for his first lesson.
Healer & Shaman Priest
219 Posts
Ooc —
Vein frowned slightly, noticing the sigh. He was a healer and though he knew the body well and could make one’s body do what he wished for the most part, A counsellor apparently he was not. He seemed to only be causing this one distress, which was far from what he was trying to do. He had wanted to make a friend perhaps share knowledge not force it upon another.

His eyes softened and his deep baritone rumble held regret “I do not wish to make you uncomfortable Charles, is there a different topic you’d like to discuss?” He remained reclined on the ground not one to waste energy if he could help it. The sun warmed his back, he sighed happily and rolled onto his back to allow the sun to warm his belly stretching out to expose himself completely to the sun, unconcerned that he was exposing his vulnerable belly to a potential stranger or attacker.

Vaguely he wondered if he had possibly angered the coy-wolf into attacking him.
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
The coywolf was totally used to having lessons forced onto him. He remembered so vividly all the times that he'd just be hanging at the borders and that old white guy Kove would show up and blabber about guardian things while taking him on a patrol. Charles didn't like learning things, because whenever his mother wanted to teach him things, it would usually end in pain, and the lessons were dumb and useless. She'd never even taught him to hunt properly, but she'd taught him enough lessons in respect.

So when the lesson was shoved off the table, Charles was visibly pleased. Really? he said with wide eyes, almost as though he found it hard to believe. Alright, yeah — So what do you do for fun here? Charles was curious, since this dude didn't seem very fun-oriented, and in general the pack seemed rather... broody, rather than safe. Maybe if there was something they could do for fun it could help him unwind a little and feel a little safer.
Healer & Shaman Priest
219 Posts
Ooc —
MATURE: Only ready further if you are ok with mild sexual reference

"Fun.." Vein rumbled, as if tasting the word for the first time, he was always to busy for fun, though he did enjoy his work so to him he supposed it was 'fun' but what drew a smile upon his maw was thoughts of Aerin, boy did he have it bad.

"Honestly I have not thought about doing anything without purpose for many years now," He glanced at his herb laden skull with plants that would have to be planted soon enough "What would you suggest?" Vein wouldn't mind taking a break as long as it didn't cost him his herbs.

He remained reclined and relaxed and allowed his eyes to roam the Coy-wolf's body, he wondered what Charles thought was fun? Sparing? Tag? Something more intimate? Would he himself even be interested in that? The apple of his eye was Aerin but he'd not reject the male for a little fun, Kynareth brought the idea to the forefront of his mind and he'd have to see eventually if males were just as fun.
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
'Many years' was Charles' entire life. He sure hoped he never got this stuffy, where he didn't even know what it was like to have fun. The coywolf scoffed at the sentiment. Then he was asked what he would suggest. There were a lot of things you could do for fun, of course. Charles himself was not that good at it. He remembered that he had stood atop the hill where Valette had slid down feeling weird, but when they had started to slide down, it was actually fun.

Since then he realised that having fun was actually something that was, well, great! He was still trying to catch up on his joyless youth, now.

Now, what should they do? Charles just wanted to get away from the pile of bones, really. Uh... We can run, or have a water fight, or find some good sticks, or whatever we want, the coywolf said in the end, and he decided to start with a run as he nipped at Veon's shoulder and then took off into the territory, unless other things were suggested.
Healer & Shaman Priest
219 Posts
Ooc —
Vein gave a longing glance at the herbs wondering if he should bring them along, however they would keep for a few hours yet. And this pack member was rather interesting, He’d follow and see where this went. Though waisting energy for no reason was against his better judgement when the chocolate dipped male nipped his shoulder he laughed whole heartedly and bounded after him. 

The over large white brute had to leap over bushes that Charles could easily duck under and swing wide around trees, he’d never be able to catch the coy wolf but laughing all the way.  He meant to jump between two trees and close the gap between him and Charles and somehow with a thump, got stuck.

He wiggled and tried to shove forward and that only earned him a more solid wedge his ribs being larger then his head. “Ah Charles?” He called out tried to hide the panic that threatened to come out in his voice
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
His initiation of play was positively received. Charles could hear Vein's heavier footfalls follow him. The coywolf used his size and talent for picking up speed and dashing — one of his few qualities, Charles felt — to an advantage, though he made sure to always leave enough space for Vein to catch up again. It was kind of fun just to run. The thought of being captured was daunting though, which was perhaps why Charles always made sure to stay ahead. Something in his brain warned him of the dangers of when the game ended. Perhaps because he had often ran and hid from Mother when she was in one of her moods.

Moments before it seemed that Vein was somewhere not too far behind him, but then suddenly he seemed to be gone. In the distance he heard the call of his name — it was only then that Charles realised Vein was gone at all — and his body took another few seconds to pick up and grind him to a halt. The coywolf looked over his shoulder and he turned around in the direction he came from.

There he found Vein stuck between two trees. It was quite a funny sight, honestly, and Charles didn't instantly think that it might be dangerous. He hadn't quite caught any panic that Vein might have expressed yet. Wow, you was desperate to catch me, right? The coywolf said with a toothy grin, and then he walked up to Vein. Despite not seeing any danger or harm in it, the coywolf did figure that they needed to get Vein out of here, somehow.
Healer & Shaman Priest
219 Posts
Ooc —
Vein nodded “Perhaps I was. This will teach me to ‘play’ ” He sighed and wiggled, feeling himself slip further down, his eyes grew wide and he whined just a bit, suddenly feeling trapped. This was not a clever two-legged trap but it was deadly just the same. He panted his distress, then braced his rear paws on the trees and tried to push himself out backward to no avail. He was well and truly wedged.

Claustrophobia began setting in and he wished he had some sort of calming herb so that he could calm down and think.   At least Charles had returned to him rather then leave him alone to has fate. That might had been what his long dead father might have done “What do you suggest Charles?” He was glad his voice sounded calmer then he felt. His maw parted and he continued to pant half from the energy he expended running and half from stress
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Charles grinned as Vein said that it would teach him to try and play. He said, somewhat teasingly, Nah. You just gotta be better at it. Then Vein asked him what he would suggest doing, which caused Charles to blink in surprise. He had no clue what to do, of course. Charles blinked and said, Me? He wasn't used to being asked to solve problems, or like... do anything important at all, ever.

I dunno, can you, like, move? I can try to push you? Charles was not very tall nor strong though, so he wasn't too convinced he could actually get Vein out of there.
Healer & Shaman Priest
219 Posts
Ooc —
"Humm... see if you can push me up and backward by my chest, I will try to back out, but I have slipped down to far to back out myself"

Vein looked about for anything that could be used as a tool in case brute strength was no going to work this time. His front legs were trough the pair of trees he was caught just behind them and he had indeed slipped down, the trees were tight and almost restricting his breathing now.

If Charles used his front to shove up and backwards on his chest, he'd pull backwards and hopefully back out of his predicament
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
It felt very weird having to do something important. Charles imagined that Vein would either get out by himself, or that the situation would just... fix itself some other way? Maybe he would call a leader? Someone else who actually knew how to do, well, anything right?

It was up to him, though, it seemed. The coywolf nodded at the plan, kinda glad that Vein had a better plan than him (he had thought to push him from the back). Charles moved up to the tree and he used his head and shoulder to push at Vein's chest. The physical closeness made Charles feel weird, but he kept pushing, while he called, Is it working yet?
Healer & Shaman Priest
219 Posts
Ooc —
Vein watched the Coywolf’s trepidation and he believed it was at helping him, He was a rather large male, he had hoped he had put the male at ease somewhat but perhaps not. However Charles did as he was bid and Vein watched the young man’s man dig claws dig into the dirt with the effort he put forth into rescuing him.

And the overly large white brute was ever grateful, perhaps she could get him to never speak of this embarrassing predicament to anyone. Realizing that poor Charles was trying to do all the work Vein braced his hind paw on either tree and pushed backward it seemed for a tense moment they were go going to get him free.

With a sudden crack, (possibly a rib of Vein’s gave way) and at then there was nothing holding him into the space, with their combined effort her practically flew backward landing in a heap and possibly onto of him?

He groaned softly laying still
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
When Vein finally came free, Charles launched forward and smacked his nose against the tree.

A sickening crack pierced the air, and Charles thought to himself that it must be one of the trees giving way. It must be.

Charles scrunched his smarting nose and he looked beyond the tree, where Vein was, at the very least, free now. And he was groaning, which meant that he was awake and alive. You alright? Charles called out to him and he walked over to check how Vein was doing.
Healer & Shaman Priest
219 Posts
Ooc —
Vein glanced toward Charles worried voice and that tiny shift caused pain to sparkle behind his lids. He lay back down suddenly very glad the other had not fallen ontop of him. He lay on his back in front of another but he lacked the ability to get up. The brute drew in a deep breath and regretted that action instantly too

"Nope" he whispered up at the sky unable to turn his head to look at Charles without moving his chest. "It will take time but I can't move for the time being," He grunted in a pained tone, refusing to whimper. "I might just sleep here tonight," He continued with the pained grunting voice. Never mind it was the middle of the day he wasn't about to move for a few hours.

"Charles might I ask one more favor?"He continued without waiting for an answer "Get me that skull I left behind there are a few herbs in it that might help with pain" with that he closed his eyes and concentrated on breathing around his broken rib trying to assess if it was just one or more
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
It seemed pretty bad if Vein couldn't even move. He seemed less fazed by all of this though, which surprised Charles. Somehow the fact that Vein was pretty calm about it though made Charles calm down, too. Uh, alright, he said, blinking owlishly as Vein said he would sleep here tonight. He then asked for a favour, and the coywolf nodded.

A skull, how gruesome. Charles nodded though. He didn't know much about herbs and honestly didn't really believe in them very much, but if Vein couldn't even move, who was he to deny the request? Yeah, okay, Charles said with a nod. I'll get 'em now. Charles started heading back to where he began to collect Vein's things then.

we can either fade it with Charles going off to fetch Vein's skull, or if you want to continue when Charles returns that's cool too :)
Healer & Shaman Priest
219 Posts
Ooc —
we'll fade it here we should have a knew one eventually Vein is fond of Charles

Vein drew shallow breaths and then tried a deeper one and winced oh it hurt, this wasn't a pain he could ignore like a random wound. This pain, it hurt with each breath he drew, he was afraid to move. There were two likely three ribs broken maybe on both sides, hence the level of pain.

At least he got out and would starve to death between to trees for all the good it did him. Fun was definitely No fun. He tried to listen for Charles but found his bodies response to drive away the pain was to sleep or perhaps he just lost consciousness he wasn't sure.
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
yes, i'd love another thread sometime <3

Charles nodded at Vein and he quickly rushed off to fetch the things that he was asked to get. When he returned, he found that it was hard to keep Vein awake. Charles didn't really know what to do, since he had no medical knowledge whatsoever. Honestly, he didn't know if any of the things inside of the skull even helped at all. Charles decided that he would just keep watch for a little bit, and when Vein came to again he would get out and let Vein rest up a bit more by himself. Just, y'know, making sure he didn't die in the meantime.