Duskfire Glacier Pushing Forward
stars cannot shine without darkness
469 Posts
Ooc — Mai
All Welcome 
OOC: For any Duskfire Glacier wolves! <3

With Spring having officially arrived, Tzila could not help but shake the feeling of unease that settled deep in the pit of her stomach. She was a female in her prime, having lived through three full years. She knew quite well what this time of year meant. Already, she could feel her skin beginning to prickle under her still thick, dark fur. With a clench of her jaw, she tried to ignore the emerging signs from her body. Thankfully, her heat was not upon her quite yet. Which was just as well. 

She still had more exploring to do in and around Duskfire Glacier. To forge stronger relationships with her packmates to be. To scout out potential recruits to bolster their numbers. Plenty to keep her busy and her mind well off the upcoming season she dreaded so. Today, her duty was centered on scoping out an ideal rendezvous site for the pack. A meeting place, where all could come gather, whether it be to frolic and relax, or to conduct important meetings, focused on more serious matters. Most packs had one and with her intent on seeing this pack sound in structure, she wanted to make sure they would not be lacking in a key element.

Arriving at the Greyfall Caverns, in her mouth she clutched the body of a red fox, newly dressed in his Spring coat. The vermin had been foolish to sneak into their territory, trying to scavenge out of their caches. The dark woman would not tolerate trespassers of any kind, be they wolves or otherwise. In the slaughter of the red furred vulpine, she had symbolically made a declaration. The wolves of Duskfire Glacier were not to be trifled with, especially her in particular. She was a proven warrior, having stood toe to toe with kin and foreign enemies alike.
Slipping inside the caverns while letting the sound of trickling water fill her ears in its melody, upturned silver eyes skimmed the interior while she placed the body down on a prominent stone slab. Recalling the time spent with Imaq skinning and butchering the ram, she settled down to do the same. Delicately beginning to peel at the undamaged pelt of the fox, to preserve it for later use.
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Tags for references

Another restless night dug at his eyes, irritating the delicate flesh surrounding but it was something Rye
was becoming accustomed to. Sleep was a pipe dream in itself, however that was not to say his body
never rested. It did for a few hours each night before something woke him, be it a nightmare or a
particularly loud owl, maybe even his own dopey mumblings. No matter how he awoke he would 
always decide to patrol the territory, keeping a weary eye out for intruders or fellow packmates out 
on patrol as well. Eventually sleep would return again to usher the male back into restless slumber for 
at most an hour or two. Never more, never less. 
Tawny irises peaked out of half lidded eyes to a sharp white coating his surroundings, it nearly blinded
him upon first glance but his eyes slowly began to adjust. The snow blanketed his body, near perfectly 
unperturbed but as Rye stood his body shook what it could off his body. The rest would simply melt 
from his natural body heat. After dusting off his sleeping quarters with his tail, Rye followed the borders
edge with the intent of searching for @Imaq or maybe @Iana. He scented the air for his packmates but 
only found something unfamiliar, a twinge of blood mixed with something completely new to the male.
Rye didn't like the smell of things, especially when it was unidentifiable, most animals had unique scents
but whatever it was was entirely new and wounded.
His black nose worked inches from the ground, following the scent a little ways further into the territory
and as he drew closer to a cavern, the smell got stronger, better defined. It belonged to a wolf but something
else accompanied it, before moving closer Rye took the time to thoroughly investigate the smells. It was better
to go in aware of what he faced than to go in blind. Unfortunately the second scent went unresolved but that
did not deter Rye from soldiering up and continuing his little investigation. Using his previous interaction with 
Imaq as a lesson learnt the male wouldn't jump to conclusions, alternatively he peered into the cavern. A dark 
female came into view, her fur a beautiful black with a tinge of red along her back shoulders. For a moment, Rye
admired the view but her vulpine friend quickly snatched his attention. They mystery scent was solved. 
"I see you have visited Imaq," Rye started, taking note of her actions but it was purely a guess, "Quite a useful 
skill to have yet something I doubt I could procure." He jokingly admitted with a small chuckle. The woodland 
male dipped into the cavern and stood just a few feet away, not wanting to over crowd the female. "I'm Rye by the
 way." He added, a small smile accompanying him after he spoke. How many more pack members has he yet to
 meet? Perhaps that will be something he could later ask.
"If you lose yourself, your courage soon will follow.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
469 Posts
Ooc — Mai
The shadow queen had never invested much time in the craft of procuring furs, but maybe, just maybe, the time spent with Imaq had sparked a budding new interest in her. It was unexplored, unique and it served a practical function. She would even dare say it was enjoyable, nosing through the foreign pelts of her prey or enemies. Here in a cave system such as this, where the ground was stony and more often than not, cold, by taking up such a hobby, she could at the very least, assure that her packmates would have somewhere to lounge in comfort.

Delicately, with utmost precision, she used the smaller of her front teeth to clasp onto the underside of the swift fox's chin. Firmly, but gently, she peeled the skin back and away, careful not to tear it in the process. She surprised even herself with how focused she was on such a task, in that she had only practiced it once, with Imaq. 

Her tedious work was interrupted by a voice, coming from the very same entrance in which she arrived. Dark ears flickering back, she paused to angle her head in his direction just so, offering him a side view of her face. Tzila, with her sharp, carved facial features and intense moonlit eyes against the dark backdrop of her fur, could understandably appear as intimidating to some. Which in her books, was not always a bad thing. Releasing the skin from her hold, she uttered a soft "Thank you" with a wave of her tail. Abandoning her work temporarily, she turned to approach the male by just a few steps, appraising him. He was average looking, boasting a coat of rich earthy tones and warm eyes. "I learned the trick from Imaq a little while back. She had taken down a ram. Had already begun the process herself by the time I arrived. Figured I would start on the right paw and lend her some assistance." She gestured with her muzzle back to the partially skinned fox. "But that fellow there...was stupid enough to trespass while I was out scouting for a future central hub." She smirked, pleased with herself that she had so conveniently managed to be productive. "Rye huh? I don't believe we have met, until now. I am Tzila."
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Forgive the super messed up indents here, I edited a profile setting. Hopefully it will correct itself next post!
Rye could never understand what possessed coyotes, foxes and other stray animals to venture into claimed
land. Their death would be guaranteed if caught and the likelihood of being found was near certain, their
own stench unfamiliar to the close knit group that resided within. However their own idiocy provided filling
meals for the pack, so Rye was not one to complain of their decisions. A free meal was a free meal, no matter 
how annoying it may be. That reminded him, he had yet to gather furs for Imaq, his bed had warmth but it had 
the potential for much more. The sleet was beginning to sap his warmth during the nights, even just one
water resistant hide would provide sufficient relief.
'Tzila', he repeated. Such an abundance of unique names, meanwhile his was drab and without character but
it was his last link to his true family so it was something he wouldn't dare change. However his possible 
future children would be spared of a dry name.
"Wonder what drove it to such lengths as to cross the border, surely he smelt our markings? I suppose hunger
would be the culprit." Rye shook his head. A brief memory crossing into his vision of being attacked by that 
dark haired female, Zsuzsa, at her own borders. His own stupidity nearly got himself and another killed. A 
small shiver wriggled its way down his spine and off his tail, the memory of utter hopelessness was starting to 
agitate him. Not wanting to dwell on that past Rye spoke up again, "Anyways, it's nice to finally meet you. 
Have you been here long?" He asked. 
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
469 Posts
Ooc — Mai
"Hunger and desperation were likely the influence." She agreed. "But at least he won't go to waste." She said, referring to his death in providing a fine addition to the pelts and skins the pack had begun gathering. "It is nice to meet you too." She returned, hoping that this casual meet up with Rye, one of her pack mates, was the start of one of many stronger relationships. "A little under two moons. I met Wintersbane shortly after the impact that befell Moonspear. Seems we both discovered it around the same time."

She turned to go back to the task she had started, of skinning the fox. But she paused, long enough to spare him a welcoming glance. "Would you care to join me? I may not be as good as Imaq, but I could show you some of the basics of the craft. It is...delicate work. But enjoyable, oddly." She laughed a little at her own words, wondering how Rye would take to the proposal.
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Rye was either dying while sulking in a pit of despair or he was completely fine when the Moonspear events transpired, regardless he had not a clue about what happened. Rye didn't know about much that happened in Teekon anyway, his circle was close knit without many tethers to the outside world. He was inclined to ask about what had happened but for the moment he would agree to Tzilas proposal. Although Imaq halfway showed him the craft, Rye got the feeling he was in for a more in depth understanding of Imaqs trade and Tzilas interest. "So long as I won't be in the way, sure." Rye offered an appreciative smile before finding a spot to sit beside the female.

"Before we begin, what's Moonspear and what happened?" He questioned. Rye was hesitant to ask but decided his curiosity couldn't be left to its own imagination. The way Tzila spoke of Moonspear gave him the impression something bad occurred. Doubt sprouted like weeds in his mind, he was beginning to regret his question as seconds passed, perhaps the incident something that shouldn't be poked and prodded at. 
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
469 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Tzila had also, been through her time of pain. Darkness and heartache still tried to reach for her. But here, in this ever growing environment of stability and promise, surrounded by honest, well meaning wolves, she was beginning to recover. Yet she would hold her breath, waiting cautiously to see what fate had around the corner for her. She was more guarded than before. Conditioned to be such thanks to her pre-written history.

"Of course not." She implored with a shake of her head. "In fact, I would appreciate the help. Anything if it works towards strengthening relations in the pack." A brief touch on what she was seeking here. A new start. But she would get to that later. She had Rye's question to answer in regards to Moonspear. She was a little surprised that he didn't seem to have heard of Moonspear before. It showed in her expression, but her features quickly smoothed over. No one could be expected to know everything and everyone in these wilds.

"Moonspear was a pack that resided on the east side of mountain range in the west." She explained. "From what I know, they were one of the longer lived packs and certainly the most reputable. Led by Hydra Ostrega and her family. Hydra and I weren't close...but we shared a deep connection nonetheless." She said, trying not to let the emotion seep into her voice, but failed at letting some slip through. "Wintersbane also knew her well. Better than I. A while ago, an impact devastated the mountain. I am not sure what the ultimate cause was, but it wiped out all unfortunate enough to be in its path. I was investigating the aftermath when by chance, I met up with Wintersbane. He was lucky to escape, which explains his healing injuries. I have found no trace of Moonspear or any other survivors since."
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away

Rye wanted to be useful, he craved it like a ravenous hound, to be needed by others when they wanted help was his ultimate desire. He would stop at nothing to achieve that and so, when Tzila expressed she would appreciate the help, it filled his chest with the warm glow of confidence. A small start but he was still grateful. With his pack being chalked full of specialties and basic trades Rye had all the opportunity he could want to improve upon himself with great ease and by all walks of life. He had come so far from such dark places. Rye thought back to the last few months with a somber overtone. Back to the fight he foolishly got himself into, to the long month of combating infection and starvation, the sickening agony of being utterly alone and finally his inaction when She needed him most. Rye could not say her name, the thought of her made his heart recoil and tighten, with his throat fighting the need to swallow down the lump in the back of his mouth. Still so much pained him but the solace he held onto was the lives he would save and the people he could do right by.
As Tzila began explaining the travesty that was the Moonspear impact Rye could feel the mood quickly shifting, a pit settled in the bottom of his stomach and weighed it down. Ears could pick up what the eyes could not, Rye heard the way her voice was subtly stricken with grief and suffocated emotion. He understood her hesitance to open up to a complete stranger and averted his eyes to, hopefully, take the pressure off her shoulders. Rye painted an image in his head of what Tzila described, an image of horror, death and destruction in the wake of the impact. He knew not what she saw but knew it would remain with her for the rest of her days, Rye only hoped it did not torment her. By the end the woodland male was rendered speechless, stuck in a cycle of shock and awe but also, in part, due to being unsure what to say. A tragedy like hers could not be consoled with words alone but he knew he was only a stranger, his word was all he had for the moment.
Rye breathed in deeply, his tawny eyes moving back to Tzila. For a second he searched for the right words to say and settled on, "I'm sorry for your loss. Words will never be able to repair or fix the hearts wounds but having someone at your side to share the burden certainly helps. I, as I'm sure others, are here. We are a small pack but we are together, through thick and thin." His voice was mellow, nearly hushed as he tried to sound sincere. He hoped it came across as such.
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
469 Posts
Ooc — Mai
The tale of Moonspear and it's ultimate destruction was but a small tragedy in her life. If only he knew, that it was one of many. That there were others, far greater than what she had shared. She sensed his sympathy and accepted the consoling words he offered. But the silence she allowed on her behalf, paired with downcast eyes, hinted that she had only scratched the surface. 

"Loss. It is a thing I know far too well. More than I'd like." She cut off, away from that, trying to return to the positive. "Here, maybe, I will find new hope." She thought back to the day she met Wintersbane, and she was grateful. "Wintersbane is a good man. He's instilled in me a new drive. Offered the stability I am looking for to make this work." She managed a slight smile. "All the wolves he has selected, seem to be of a strong, sound character." She let her eyes linger, silently thanking Rye for his patience and willingness to listen.
443 Posts
Ooc — Espero
Away
Can wrap this up if you would like, you can power play Rye and have him help her with the skin.

Tiny, nearly inaudible plinks of water hit the ground with repeated consistency. It was the only thing filling the silence between Tzila speaking and Rye was thankful for it, to him it gave a little reprieve from the heavy topic and provided a little anxiety relief from its consistency. He wasn't anxious because of her but rather because of him, he always had a nagging worry he might say something stupid during solemn moments. Thankfully Tzila appeared appreciative and that set his worries aside. "That he did." Rye agreed, returning the compliment with a soft smile. "A few words of wisdom was passed to me long ago, they have helped me in difficult times. They are, 'In the end it will all be okay and if it's not okay, then its not the end yet.'. Its allowed me to grasp onto a tiny sliver of hope in especially dark times." Although lately even that was beginning to lose the power it once held, perhaps it would help Tzila but perhaps not.  
So be strong tonight.
Remember who you are."
469 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Works for me. I will fade and archive.

The words Rye recited struck a chord within her. They resonated, in each corner of her mind. And they would settle, like dust to collect for the ages. "Whoever said that...they are wise. I will remember those words." She affirmed with a meaningful nod. "More so, thanks to everyone here, I cannot help but feel a sliver of hope. Ever growing." Rye didn't know the finer details of her past. Of the darkness laced within it. And she wasn't sure if it was best he did. But if she were being honest with herself, and wanting to be blatantly truthful with everyone here, she would have to bare all.

Someday. Today was not that day. Settling into a comfortable silence beside him, with dribble of water for background noise, she guided him back to the fox pelt. Losing any sense of time and feeling no need to be anywhere else, she memorized what @Imaq had shown her. With acute fine tuned precision and patience, she showed him the intricacies and techniques, step by step. At the end of it all, the evidence of their work in the form of draped fox pelt over staggered stones, left to dry out, told of these few hours together in company.