Noctisardor Bypass Mother Mary comes to me
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Trade 

She knew the leader had sequestered himself to the part of the territory where no others would be; it was a smart decision given his symptoms, but she couldn't fight the urge to check on him. She was a healer, and he was her pack now; there was just no way she would ignore the call to help and stay away. 

So she made the trek to where he spent his days alone and ill, ginger dipped in honey held carefully between her teeth. She had been pleasantly surprised to find the fallen beehive and had quickly taken advantage of the situation. She had made a couple trips and stored the honey combs in the herb den Mahler had shown her and offered to share with her. She had been busy since then, filling it with this and that, glad to have plants to tend and packmates to care for. It helped to distract her from the great loss she had suffered. 

When she drew close to his temporary den, she stopped and placed her mouthful near her paws. Mahler? she called out. She wasn't sure how upset he would be with her for coming here even though he clearly wanted to quarantine himself from the pack. Surely he would understand why she couldn't stay away.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
well, perhaps he could not seclude himself half so well as he had first believed. first laurel, and now
"speedy," mahler spoke, fighting the cough down. he had been caught off-guard, moongazing into the little creek once again. contemplative. almost a week with no worsening, and in these days he had found a combination of berry and mintleaf that seemed to tamp it down best.
she had brought something sweet-and-sharp smelling. he recognized it once as medicine of some sort, and relaxed the tension that had begun to creep into his stiffened shoulders.
mahler could not very well scold a fellow physician from her appointed post, and turned his head to cough downward, away.
[Image: 2711649b07fc604164cb120b1b417fa3cf47bccc_00.gif]
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Once he had acknowledged her presence, Speedy picked up the honey-covered ginger and brought it over to him. She sat it down next to him and turned to put a safe distance between them. The healer took a seat, her eyes looking him over for any obvious signs that he was succumbing to the sickness. Ailments like these sometimes took a while to clear up, and they often took a toll on their victim. That will help soothe your cough, she explained.

How are you feeling? the healer asked. Is there anything you need that I can get for you? Maybe he just needed some company. He was alone out here from what she could tell; loneliness could slow his healing just as much as any other danger. She believed that the mind and body needed tending regardless of which was weakened by illness.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
mahler felt her studious eyes upon him, and smiled inwardly as he began to lap at the concoction she had brought him. while he was not pleased by the sharp taste of the ginger, this was skillfully tempered by the sweetness of the honey. and true to her statement, his throat was indeed soothed of its tickle for the present.
"i vould like to rejoin the pack," he said simply. "i do not think i am contagious. i mean to go on a trip vith phaedra," mahler went on, crossing his paws. "rivenvood vill have a hunt vith duskfire, our allies. and i intend to introduce you to iana of that pack. she is also a healer."
a torrent of words. he appeared sheepish. "i am vell, speedy. just very avare of the things and the duties that have gone to praimfaya since i have been here."
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
She silently thought about his wish to rejoin the pack, frowning slightly in thought. He was a healer as well and certainly knew the damage he could cause if he was contagious, so she was willing to defer to him on this. She was still new here, after all—not that being new would stop her from speaking her mind when it came to the well-being of another, but she felt like she could trust him on this without knowing all the facts for herself. Alright, she said, nodding once. If you think you're no longer spreading whatever sickness you had, then I don't see why you can't rejoin us. She paused, a small smile lifting one side of her mouth. A trip with your daughter sounds nice too, she added. 

He had also told her of his plans for a pack a hunt and that he wanted her to meet the healer of their allies. Speedy nodded again. I'm always interested in meeting other healers and learning their ways. Plus, it would be good to be familiar if we ever need to work together.

She sighed a little, glad to hear he felt well but worrying over his words that followed. She was reminded of Ira, the memory squeezing her heart. Her former leader had always been more concerned with her duties than taking care of herself. I know you must have a lot to oversee, she told him. But taking care of yourself is important too, and I don't know Praimfaya very well yet, but I'm sure she doesn't mind taking care of things while you heal.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
he nodded beneath speedy's words. in a short time she had become very valuable to rivenwood, and this showed in how mahler was deferential beneath her advice. "you are right, of course," he sighed wearily. "vhen you have vorked long years, it is hard to sit still."
"praimfaya is young and vas brash vhen ve first met. but she has tempered. matured. i am happy to have her beside me." secretly he wondered what speedy made of the age disparity between the graf pair, for they were not a pair at all. and yet mahler knew as male head of rivenwood, there would be assumptions made.
"both she and sequoia vill be mothers this year," he said gently. "i am a midvife, but i vould like the experience of another voman who is also a mother."