Redhawk Caldera Follow your heart, little child of the west wind.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
When Meerkat ducked inside the Hobbit Hole, dripping wet from the morning rainstorm and announcing she needed to tell her mother something, Towhee immediately assumed the yearling might be interested in becoming Regent. Her heart leaped a little, since she thought both of her daughters were strong candidates. But it turned out that wasn't what Meerkat wanted to tell her. Actually, she declared that she was going to resume the search for @Phox after all and she was departing imminently.

After recovering from her initial whiplash, the Sovereign made Meerkat sit with her to be certain she really wanted to do this. After all, Towhee was hoping everyone could begin moving on, per the recent pack meeting. The yearling insisted she knew her mother wouldn't demand it of her and that she'd thought about it long and hard. She expressed sadness at missing out on more of her younger siblings' lives but she simply couldn't live with herself until she found them all some answers.

She left when the rain tapered away, after hugging and kissing the little ones and promising she would return with news. Towhee insisted on walking with her as far as the caldera's rim, where she remained standing now, watching Meerkat's silhouette disappear into the distance to the west.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Rue had given the little family some space while they were saying goodbye in the Hobbit Hole. Rue hadn't know Meerkat very long, but she had swiftly become Rue's favorite of the grown Redhawk children. The pups loved her, she was a dependable caregiver, and she made good choices even when she was uncertain. Meerkat's decision at the border with Sifaka was evidence enough of that. Thanks to her, they now had another able-bodied, experienced wolf in their ranks.

Rue had intended on recommending Meerkat to Towhee for consideration for the open Regent position, if she'd ever been able to get Towhee alone. Meerkat-- dependable as she was-- was so often there herself, and of course the children were omnipresent. They were at the stage where they unknowingly babbled everything they heard, usually at the worst possible moment (they had already picked up some of Towhee's more colorful language). So it seemed more or less impossible to have a private conversation over their heads and then have any guarantee that what was said would actually stay private. 

Rue gave @Reyes a heads up to keep an eye on the pups, and she then made her way, at her usual slow and shuffling pace, to the rim of the Caldera. She approached Towhee at a wide arc, so that the Sovereign would see the movement in her peripherals without being startled. Rue moved to stand beside the Redhawk leader, wordlessly joining her in watching Meerkat become a dot on the horizon. She wouldn't speak first, but she was here to support Towhee, if she needed it. Towhee was probably used to her kids coming and going by now, but with her recent losses, she might be feeling a little more raw about Meerkat's departure.
RIP & TEAR
49 Posts
Ooc — landry
Can be just a cameo if you all would like. :)

Of course he had been intrigued by the sight of the landform. He had spotted it as he had come down the mountains but he had been caught up in the care of his face for a few days. Helped by that kind woman not far from here.

He figured he could check it out on his wandering way. Except scent told him this place was not empty, and he was pretty sure that if he squinted he could see someone in the distance.

Maybe best to keep his own distance for now.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Not long after Meerkat vanished into the distance, someone approached nearer at hand. Towhee tore her eyes away from the spot where her daughter had disappeared, her orange gaze softening as it landed on Rue. She motioned the woman closer.

"I told her she didn't have to," the Sovereign said, perhaps unnecessarily since Rue had been more or less in the background this entire time, "but she basically told me that as much as she wants to hang out here, she can't rest until she finds her dad or at least some word of his whereabouts."

She meant to say something else, probably change the subject, but she saw movement near the horizon. Towhee's heart leaped despite herself. But it wasn't Meerkat with a change of heart, but a stranger. At least, she didn't think she recognized the figure as she squinted down at it.

Without really thinking, she found herself bellowing, "Can we help you?"
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Rue nodded. She had understood the gist of it all, but the finer points had gotten a bit muddled. Rue was still getting the hang of the way the Redhawks communicated with one another, and she tended to fall behind when the ptero-to-speech ratio swung in favor of the former. 

So, Meerkat wanted to locate her dad, who had gone after his mate and children. This was yet another example of the young Redhawk's leadership bent; a shepherd at heart, she couldn't rest easy until her whole flock was home safe. 

"She's my nomination for Regent," Rue remarked, but her words were drowned out by Towhee's shout. Rue squinted at the horizon, locating the stranger with interest. Knowing it would be up to her to dictate any shouted response to Towhee, Rue waited silently, ears at attention.
RIP & TEAR
49 Posts
Ooc — landry
"Can we help you?"

It seemed to be the question of the month. This time, the answer was clear in his mind.

No, He bellowed back, respectful despite the volume. Sight seeing. Sorry. He would wait to see if they had anything to say about it, otherwise he assumed he would be on his way. Unaware of the problems or current topics the caldera held within it.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He made a reply of some kind and Towhee looked to Ruenna for an interpretation before yelling, "If you have no business here, then scoot!" It was more of an encouragement than a demand, though Towhee gave him the beady eye from all the way up here.

Soon, she retrained her attention on Rue. "I actually asked her about that. She said she's not remotely interested in leadership," Towhee shared with a huff of laughter. It was a little disappointing, though she respected Meerkat's take on the matter. "What about you?" she couldn't help but voice the thought that drifted through her head. After all, Ruenna had been her Beta once before.

856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
"Just sightseeing.." Rue dictated to Towhee, her brow furrowing as she turned back toward the stranger. Standing firmly upon the rim beside Towhee, she imagined that the pair of them would appear intimidating enough to a lone wanderer. 

After the brief interruption, their conversation resumed.

Meerkat wasn't remotely interested in leadership? Rue let out a huff, equal parts amusement and wryness. Wasn't that always the case? Those most suited to leadership seemed very often to be the most reluctant. 

"She may change her mind, in time."  Priorities had a way of rearranging themselves, as wolves got older. 

Towhee's next question was not unexpected. Rue nodded thoughtfully. Towhee must know by now that Rue was here for her, in whatever way she needed her to be. A friend, advisor, beta, Auntie Woo.. she'd been all of it before, and she'd happily be any of it again. 

She dipped her muzzle in an affirming gesture.

"I would be honored," Rue answered. "But I would understand, if you wanted some younger blood." Or, you know, Redhawk blood. It was their namesake, after all. With so much of the pack being family, it begged the question of whether they would follow the outsider.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Rue mentioned a possibility that had occurred to Towhee too. It was always possible, though she was really and truly starting to understand that her children didn't necessarily subscribe to her visions for them. If Meerkat didn't want leadership, then she would simply have to accept that and support her in the things she did want to do. It sort of fell under the same umbrella as her oath to raise her youngest kids to understand that dispersal was just as viable an option as sticking around.

Pushing all that aside, the Sovereign smiled softly at her friend's counter. It immediately made her think of her recent conversation with Wraen. Could Ruenna be her "old cow"? Then she could fill the other position with a "young buck" (or doe; Towhee was an equal opportunity employer).

"Well, there's more than one position open and a wise woman told me it's good to aspire for diversity in leadership," Towhee replied, leaving it a little open-ended. Just like Meerkat and the rest of her kids, she wanted Rue to decide for herself without direct influence or pressure from her.

856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
"She does sound wise," Rue remarked, lifting a brow questioningly. Clearly Towhee had spoken to someone about this decision, but who was the confidante? 

So they were aiming for diversity, then? In that case, maybe the non-Redhawk had a shot. 

"Has anyone volunteered?" she asked. It would be easier to judge the potential leadership team for diversity if Rue knew who the others applicants were.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
"Nope," came Towhee's easy answer. At this point in time, no one had yet approached her about it. It had come up in casual conversation with Meerkat but that was about it. "And I'm kinda glad about that. I didn't want anyone to just jump at it all willy nilly. I want my second-in-command—my seconds-in-command? My second-in-commands?—to really think it through and want it, you know?"

She canted her head and peered at Rue, wondering what she might say next. She'd mentioned it would be an honor but did that equate to actual interest in the position? Towhee really wanted to fish, yet she remained silent, letting the she-wolf speak for herself.

856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
No one had stepped up yet? Rue's brow furrowed. Niamh and Phox left behind large pawprints to fill, certainly, but Ruenna had expected that some of the young Redhawks would be chomping at the bit to prove themselves. 

The implication behind Towhee's words was not lost on Rue. This promotion would not be like the other times-- those in which Towhee had requested that Rue fill a particular role or position. This time, she wanted Rue to say she wanted it. 

"I want.." Rue began, drawing out her words in a thoughtful tone, just to bait Towhee a bit. "I want.. to say it would be seconds-in-command. Not second-in-commands." A teasing half-smile pulled at the corner of her mouth. 

"I get it though," she allowed, in all seriousness. "You want someone to fill the role out of initiative, and not just out of duty." Rue paused, a bit torn. The problem was, she was all about duty. Ambition and self-promotion weren't really her wheelhouse, and yet those were exactly the things Towhee was trying to solicit. Rue let all of her breath out in a long sigh. 

"Let me do it. I-- I want it." Without a doubt, this was the most difficult thing Towhee had ever asked Rue to do. Will you be a baby daddy?  Sure. Will you be my Fusor?  No problem. Will you put aside your dream to become a mom this year?  Ouch, but okay, I guess. 

But this? Actually asking for something that she wanted? Out loud? Rue was neck-deep in uncharted territory here.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Rue seemed to be thinking out loud, judging by her slower cadence, and Towhee's ears were aquiver as if they were somehow picking up on every hanging word. When her friend simply corrected her grammar, she blew out a rude noise. She very nearly gave her friend a playful shove, though fortunately she remembered Rue's bad back and checked herself before she wrecked herself her comrade.

But she wasn't done yet. Towhee offered a silent nod at Rue's astute analysis of the situation. There were many reasons why a wolf might be interested in leadership and the Sovereign could guess at a few of them. She knew Rue was a very dutiful, loyal wolf with a heart of solid gold. Towhee truly believed she would want it not for herself but for the betterment of the pack.

Although there was one perk that Towhee imagined Rue might enjoy solely for her own sake: breeding rights. It would give her second dibs next season, first if Towhee decided she was done having kids (questionable). And, honestly, with Phox, Niamh and their litter in the wind—a brutal reality Towhee had slowly come to terms with by now—there might be room for more pups even this year...

Towhee could only grin when Ruenna reached out and grabbed the Regency, however haltingly. "Let me do it. I—I want it." "If you were anyone else, I might grill you a bit first. But you've been my sidepiece before and I already know you'll be excellent. Welcome to the role, Ms Regent."

856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Rue grinned as Towhee recognized her teasing, ceremoniously imitating the sound of flatulence. The grin felt odd on her face, stretching some very underutilized muscles-- smaller, subdued smiles were much more common to Rue.

Thankfully, Towhee would not draw out Rue's suffering. She bestowed the title immediately. 

"Thanks, Ms Sovereign," she sighed out, more than a little relieved that she would be spared the grilling process. Admitting her desire for the position aloud had been bad enough. Hamstrung by her own humility, Rue wasn't sure she had it in her to engage in whatever self-promotion may have been necessary if she "were anybody else." 

"There is one condition," Rue noted, a bit hesitant. Towhee probably thought she was about to bring up the pups thing again, but that would have to be a conversation for next year. Rue's time had already passed for this season. 

"..If you decide to promote another Regent, in addition to me.. then I'd like my own position to be interim. I'll only stand in as Regent until Phox returns." Rue swallowed. "When Phox comes back, if he'll take the position back, I just.. couldn't imagine leading while he is a subordinate." Rue's brow creased in concern. She was worried that Towhee might argue with this request, but this was ground upon which Rue would stand firm. 

This had actually been the driving force that spurred Rue to overcome her own humility and reached out to ask for the position. She could not expect that anyone else who was granted the Regent title would return it once Phox was back, and nor should they have to, but for Rue.. @Phox was her leader, just as Towhee was her leader. The idea of living in a situation where the roles were reversed was more than just uncomfortable-- it was abhorrent.

Ruenna experiences chronic lower back pain as a result of an accident from over a year ago. She moves with a very obvious, heavy limp.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
For someone who couldn't hear, Towhee listened very carefully when Rue mentioned a condition. She licked her lips, wondering what it might be. Before she could delve too far into it, her new Regent spelled it out for her. Her lips pressed together as she felt her heart squeeze.

She was touched by Rue's consideration. In fact, she couldn't speak for a moment. When she could, her orange eyes shone. "I appreciate that, Rue, way more than I could say. But there are actually three open positions, so if"—not when, not anymore—"Phox comes back and resumes the title, you can lead alongside him." And whoever else held the role, if anyone. "Sound like a plan?" Towhee couldn't know that her voice came out a little wobblier than usual.

856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Rue hadn't seen really Towhee emotional before, not that she could recall at least. So at first, she thought that the tightness in Towhee's expression was signaling her displeasure. As Towhee spoke though, it became clear that she was not unhappy with Rue-- in fact, it seemed to be the opposite.

"Yeah," she agreed, "Yeah, it does." Her expression broke into a genuine smile. After over a year of recovery and uncertainty in the wake of the landslide, things finally felt like they were getting back the way they were supposed to be. 

There was one question that still tugged at the back of her mind, and that was what they would do if Phox came back-- Towhee's use of the word if had not escaped her-- if Phox came back with Niamh in tow. Rue would have immediately stepped down for Phox, but she was torn about whether she might do the same for Niamh. Rue didn't know Phox's mate all that well, but she did seem to be pretty high-strung. Rue expected that if Niamh returned to find her position taken, it might come down to formal rank challenge. Wouldn't that be a sight? A wolf with a hurt back fighting a wolf with a hurt.. ... what was it she hurt in that fight with Reyes, again? A leg, maybe? Stars, Rue had trouble keeping straight all the drama of late.

Ruenna experiences chronic lower back pain as a result of an accident from over a year ago. She moves with a very obvious, heavy limp.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
"Good," came Towhee's reply, along with a soft smile, "that's settled, then." Perhaps that was the most clichéd thing she could've said in the moment but, oh well. Just because Rue's condition had stirred her emotions didn't mean the Sovereign would suddenly find profound words.

She squinted out at the spot where Meerkat had disappeared into the distance, wondering what the yearling would find. Would she find anything at all? More for her (Meerkat's) sake than anyone's, Towhee hoped she did. Then she could come home and stay, helping rear the latest batch of Redhawks.

Speaking of them, Towhee said, "I should probably go check on the kids. You coming, Auntie Woo? Auntie Woo-gent?"

856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
"I s'pose so," Rue answered, eyes lingering on the horizon for a moment before she turned to follow Towhee. Meerkat's silhouette had disappeared, as had that of the sight-seeing stranger. She raised an amused brow at Towhee's little addition to her nickname

It strained Rue's back a bit, but she set her pace to match Towhee's. She'd taken to routinely swimming in the Caldera's lake, and the hydrotherapy was doing her some good. The pain was still there-- Rue wasn't sure she'd ever be free of that-- but she'd managed to build up a bit of muscle tone, which made moving around a little less exhausting.

Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Perhaps the newly christened Regent might want to attend to some nonspecific leadership duties, Towhee thought. But Rue readily agreed to return with her to the Hobbit Hole and she snickered under her breath. Lately, child-rearing was the primary call of duty for the pack's leadership, which was really just what nature intended.

The Sovereign began leading the way there, minding her pace. She would've liked to say it was purely out of respect for Rue, though in reality, Towhee wasn't in any particular rush to return to childcare at the moment. She liked to savor her rare moments of freedom. If their trek took all day, well, that was okay with her.

Feel free to wrap or archive!