Redhawk Caldera It ain't fitting
51 Posts
Ooc — Eoran
Joining 
She had gotten too old for this life. Life had never been kind to Slate and she knew very well her chances of survival was swindling for each season she spent as a lone wolf. Her brown fur was starting to show her age and she did not like it one bit. So little had she done with her life, she had tried joining packs before, but to no avail. Her bitching attitude seemed to throw them off. She knew she could be useful in her own right; she knew a lot about the earth, it’s plants and their abilities, but hunting or fighting was no use anymore. She could do it, sure, catch herself a proper meal to survive, but that was about it. She was getting old, and she hated it.

She had sniffed about for territories for a few days now and finally come across something interesting. She curled her upper lip into a grimace. Urgh packs. How she dreaded that she needed one now when old age was catching up. She followed the trail of wolves going forward until the scent of border hit her nose. It was kind of hard to miss though, it was like smacking headfirst into a neon sign that screamed “PACK HERE” She licked her lips and grunted as if she had hit her head against something. She stopped in her tracks and wondered for a moment if this was a good idea or not. Point of no return maybe? She sighed and stretched her limps, feeling the ache going through her back. She had no real choice anymore, did she? The life of solitude had been most pleasant for her bitching attitude and her hatred for socialization, but here she was!

Here we go – She stuck her nose up in the air and gave a short and dry howl to however would be nearby. She stopped and then sat her butt into the grass and waited. Not much to do but actually wait for someone to arrive. She thought back on the one time she got chased off the border for something about – a star? She couldn’t remember, it was some mental dude talking about a star leading her there and then she had caused some kind of blasphemy about it. She chuckled at the memory. Ah good times. She was pretty sure she was better off not in that pack, but what about this one? Would they take one look at the aging wolf and turn her away? She hoped not, she might not be young and bouncing about anymore, but her logical head was functioning quite right. She had much to offer still.

Maybe she could interest them in a sarcastic grunt? A snarky comment? No? Probably not.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,967 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
As soon as she left Fennec’s den, Towhee trotted to the borders. When she arrived and saw a dark figure there, a growl rumbled in her chest. Feeling even more protective than usual, she strode toward the stranger with her head and tail both arched severely and a no nonsense expression on her face.

State your name and business, the Sovereign commanded, eyeing the other wolf even as she drew in her scent, analyzing the details it provided.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
51 Posts
Ooc — Eoran
A black wolf with markings of red and white approached Slate and did not seem friendly in the least. Slate had to restrain her face from scowling and succeeded. Instead she lowered her head slightly and gave out a clear statement. ”I am Slate. I seek a place to call home.” She wasn’t sure if this was it, the female certainly didn’t feel friendly or homely, but then again neither did Slate. She could hardly hold that against the other female if she didn’t feel like smiling and wagging her tail, fuck Slate couldn’t remember ever wagging her tail, so that was okay.

”I uh. I am good with plants, the earth, understanding stuff like that.” Stuff? God she was bad at socializing, five years since she had last made contact to another being and this was how she communicated. She lifted her head again and her tail was hanging in a relaxed position. She didn’t feel afraid or intimidated by the bulky wolf, she had seen no reason for the other one to act as if she wasn’t welcome yet.

”I’ve been alone most of my life, I think it’s about time I found a place to settle. I am not that good at uh. Words. I mean, words are fine, I am just not used to talking with others.” Well Slate now you sound like you speak to yourself instead. Way to go to sound batshit insane instead of a lonely miserable old cunt. She was about to speak again to try and salvage whatever she was doing, but realized she would probably just dig a deeper hole than she was already in. She shut her mouth and sat back down after standing and waited for the other one to ask the usual questions instead.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,967 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
It always threw her a little bit when a total stranger popped up at the borders asking to join. What made them want to throw in their lot with a pack when they presumably didn't know the first thing about it? If Slate had come here to ask questions and get a feel for the place, that would've been one thing, but...

Largely ignoring everything the stranger had said, Towhee demanded to know, "Do you know what this place is called?" Right now, the caldera wasn't hurting for members, so Towhee could afford to nitpick. And she leaned hard into that right, particularly with the pups in mind.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
51 Posts
Ooc — Eoran
The female didn’t seem to pay much attention to what Slate was saying and it worried her. She wasn’t doing so well, was she? She seemed to ignore whatever she was saying and just being in her own thoughts, maybe she had already made up her mind that she didn’t want to let Slate in. Not that Slate knew is she wanted in or not but being put into a little box with a label saying “no” was setting her off and kind of annoying her. She did her best to not let it stress her out or let it show.

Her question caught her off surprise and Slate almost wanted to say something sarcastic but bit her lip. Of course, she didn’t know the name of this place, did they expect her to? Was that part of the process of getting a new home that she had missed out on? ”No.” She wasn’t apologetic about it either, she couldn’t see how she was supposed to know this stuff beforehand. She almost didn’t say anything else but decided to elaborate a little.

”I was hoping you could tell me more about this place.” She didn’t like being put on the spot like that and it was getting harder to control her emotions but she did it anyway. Slate hated socializing for this very reason. Expectations of her was not something she had become used to, likely never would. She hated how others would stand there, expecting something of her, expecting her to say and do the right thing – that and people just sucked in general. They had hidden agendas, didn’t say what was on their mind, right out lied about it too. Slate looked at the other female and decided not to hide herself under some pretense of being a nice girl anymore.

”Look I don’t know what you expect of me right now. I am not good at people reading.” So maybe she could enlighten Slate a little in what was expected of her? ”I ain’t done this stuff much.” No shit Slate.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,967 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
No, she didn't know the name of this place. No shit, Towhee thought sarcastically. Before she could make an actual reply, Slate added that she hoped to learn more about it. No shit, the Sovereign thought again. Despite her unkind inner monologue, she opened her mouth to tell her just what she was signing up for without even reading the fine print first.

But her jaws snapped shut when Slate became catty before Towhee could get a word in edgewise. A warning growl eked from between bared teeth. Slate had arrived here with a disclaimer about her social skills but it wasn't the Sovereign's responsibility to tolerate them, much less accept them.

"You need us, we don't need you," Towhee reminded her coldly. "I expect consideration and respect, at the very least. Do you think 'I ain't done this stuff much' is actually an acceptable excuse? Do you think I'm just going to hand wave 'I'm not good at reading people' like social skills aren't the fucking core of a wolf pack?" she scoffed.

She could've—maybe should've—told her off then and there. Instead, Towhee went very still, waiting to see how Slate would react. There was still an opportunity to turn this around and win back Towhee's favor, although it was very slim. Did Slate have what it took to balance on that knife's edge?

51 Posts
Ooc — Eoran
Bitch.

How else to put it? She was being a fucking bitch about this and she didn’t need to be, Slate was done being nice right about now. The two bitches were up and about in their faces, and this would turn ugly real quick. Let’s not escalate the situation any further – ”I am sorry, if I misspoke then – but you need me as much as I need you.” Oh too late!

”Yea I am not good at this. Core of a pack thing, but I am fucking great herbalist. I could be the one saving your loved ones from an illness, I could mend a wound of your family. I am great at that. You need me.” Too bold, abort mission Slate! No? Too late she was standing now as the other wolf was turning more and more hostile in this situation and she wasn’t a fan of sitting if she might be chased off or told to leave.

Harsh words were exchanged here but Slate wasn’t sorry, she didn’t regret a word she spoke. She looked intensely at the other female who might outrank her, but certainly didn’t out-bitch her. She was in her own league in that aspect. She was feeling bold and determined, she was okay with being turned away now, she had made her point clear. This woman would be a goddamn fool for letting this chance pass up and Slate would be okay with finding a place that would appreciate her.

Just make up your mind, bitch.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,967 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
"Uh," Towhee corrected, actually laughing at the woman's gall right before her expression resumed its severeness, "no, we don't." If Slate said anything further, the Sovereign didn't see it (and definitely didn't hear it), as she was too busy flinging herself at the insolent she-wolf.

The mercenary didn't kid around. Although she wasn't necessarily aiming to kill, her jaws snapped in the direction of Slate's neck, sending a pretty clear message: Get out or die.

51 Posts
Ooc — Eoran
When the woman flung herself at her Slate jumped backward without a word, her ears pressed down toward her skull and a big scowl on her face. Was that really necessary? Was she out to kill her or something? She certainly aimed for it. Slate growled lowly and started backing off the border without turning her back to the female. Yea she wasn’t doing this shit, but she certainly wasn’t turning her back on this psychotic bitch either.

If she chose to attack again Slate would react, but if she didn’t Slate would turn around and run off. Tough luck, this was not a place for her if this was how she was welcomed and greeted. She had tried playing nice, without luck. Was there really any place out there that could tolerate Slate at all? Eh. Who knew she might die alone but so be it rather that than dying to some crazy woman.

If the other female gave chase Slate would turn back around, but if she left her alone Slate left the territory.

OOC: Done I think? Unless Towhee gives chase/attacks furhter?
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,967 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Aye, thanks for the fun thread!

To her credit, Slate retreated immediately after smoothly dodging Towhee’s strike. It always irritated her when she missed at close range, despite her masteries, but she hadn’t really been out for blood anyway. The move had served its actual purpose effectively.

As she moved away from the borders, Towhee’s orange eyes bored into her. But she made no move to shadow her steps, letting the trash take itself out.

She glowered until Slate disappeared into the distance, then stood there and lashed her tail a few times as she coaxed the tension from her muscles. As she relaxed, she started to chuckle, then laugh outright, over Slate’s words. She laughed all the way back to the hilltop over the Hobbit Hole.