Greatwater Lake THE WOLF AND THE LAMB
6 Posts
Ooc — Lex
All Welcome 
─────── The shadow of her savior covers her diminutive frame, the echos of starvation upon the loose furs. She's hungry, in the way only something so cruel and feral can be. All-devouring, wishing to consume everything within it's path without any thought. The hunger is cruel, but familiar. Ellansis does not call out to her traveling companion, does not risk the turn of a head to look at her. They've already taken in the runt of the lands, a curse in her own mind. If they were to turn, reflect the same despair that had solidified in her own eyes, she truly does not believe she could survive it. To weigh further upon Reign is not her goal, to burden this beast with her own woes and worries.

It leaves the she-wolf to peer elsewhere, a slight squint to keep the sun out of fragile eyes. It's a sight to alleviate any concerns, the water's reflective surface and the dancing ripples. It causes the cream-coated girl to pause, stilling long legs and simply stare. "I used to believe there were wolves in there. In the water. I thought they ate all the fish." It's unprompted, unnatural for the usually timid wolf. Yet, it easily escapes from the scarred muzzle and she forgets who she is, and where she is. There's a heave in her lungs, pushing pearled bones against the thinned skin and she takes a step forward. Outward, away from the shadowed embrace of Reign.

"Fish." As if the small cue can make any sense, but she's hungry. She's hungry and it's distracting her from the view and does she even know how to fish? Does Reign? There is berries in the land, but there is a vast lake that must surely hold scaled movements. There's a familiar pang in an empty stomach, and the collection of drool forming in her mouth.

Gross. She hopes no one notices.
( I WOULD LOVE TO BE RUINED
─────── IF IT MEANS I'M SACRED ENOUGH TO BE KEPT CLOSE )
5 Posts
Ooc — Lesha

They stay silent for most of today. It is almost unusual, as when it came to Ellansis they always had something to say to her. Simple things like telling her to watch her step, or telling her stories that they made up. Or simply talking to talk. It was new to them too, as they'd felt more comfortable fighting. Mindlessly so, but it felt better somehow than to act as if they were normal at all, when they knew they were far from. Their yellow gaze scanned the area, and though their guard did not fall, they watched quietly as Ellansis steps away. 

Their ears perk up, the slightest twitch at Ellansis' sweet honey filled voice, which leaves them calmer than they'd care to admit. "Wolves in the water would be quiet a sight." The beast of a wolf sits down, Their tail gently beating behind them, occasionally their ears listening out for threats though it only hears a familiar grumble. She's hungry, and they have to admit they are too. Fish, she says, and it takes a moment but they understand. Standing back up, they find themselves close to Ellansis again, but not directly focused on the scrawny she-wolf. They hadn't known how to fish very well. Sure, if they were hungry enough they could make due but this was one of those things that Reign didn't enjoy. The water.

They weren't a perfect daughter in this sense. They could swim, but not good enough to fish. And everytime they thought to, they pictured their head being forced under the cruel waved by a scarred paw. It leaves their body shivering, though they cannot tell. "I'm getting hungry, too. Fish for dinner than, huh?" They only began to hope that Ellansis didn't sense their fears. 

[Image: Untitled480_20210608054128.png]

CALL ME SOMETIME, PLEASE RING MY LINE ─────── 
( THEY/SHE - NONBINARY SHE-WOLF )

6 Posts
Ooc — Lex
─────── Her eyes do not leave the watery depths, flitting to welcome Reign beside her, but doing nothing more than that. Wolves in the water would be quite a sight, they would be, wouldn't they? But they were nothing more than imagined figments to take a young pup's anger out on. "I was angry with them. Thought they took all the fish and got fat. Turns out there just wasn't any fish in the lake." The memories are sparse and blurry, but she can make out a golden-furred adolescent nipping and screaming at the clear waters. To just share, at the very least.

She was hungry back then too. Ellansis wonders if, perhaps, she has always been hungry. If there has always been that deep-seated ache in her, a longing for something else that she could never figure out. The wolf submerges two of her paws in the water, allowing the cold to seep in and nip at her bones. Staring back at the blank-eyed wolf in the waters, a glaring resemblance of her.

It's only when the slight movements of thick fur takes Ellansis away from her endless staring, gifting it to Reign as dread fills her empty stomach. Reign never shook. Reign was the strongest wolf she's known, the biggest too. Even in those nights of freezing temperatures and quivering stars, Reign never faltered. Ellansis hadn't even felt a muscle twitch. She had asked too much. Reign had provided too much.

"You know, I can do it. Fish. I know how. I'm self-taught, I think." Her body maneuvers itself to try and block Reign from furthering themself into this endeavor. A silent plea of let me help, let me do this for you. To prove that she's not completely useless

She furthers herself into the waters, allowing for the lake to swallow up her ankles and lap for some more. "Just watch me. I'll throw them to you." Never a command, but rather a promise that Ellansis will catch them this dinner. She just had to catch that familiar glint shining through the smooth surface.
5 Posts
Ooc — Lesha

For her to admit her anger seems to confuse the beast, even just for a moment. They didn't think she was possible of harboring such hate that she finds herself snapping angrily at the water, snarling and cursing them to share the scaled water breathers that dwelled in lakes and rivers alike. Their ear twitches, and they straighten themself, quickly catching their weakness and they hate it. They couldn't afford to do that. Be weak. Show weakness. They had a feeling it would get them killed and oh, if they'd known how right they were, they would have been even more on edge than they already were. 

"I guess I can understand that. The anger." They admit, though they don't say why. While she cannot remember her past enough to speak on it, Reign is desperate to forget. With a growl and a roll of their eyes, they shake their fur out again, a common sign for them that they were getting agitated. It was not toward anyone but themself, and their gaze falls back on the beautiful canis in front of them. They can see she is doing this to prevent them from further extending themself, but what they can't understand is why. 

"You think?" They repeat. They didn't want her to risk her life for something she thought she could do, but they could see that she wanted to feel useful. Only of she knew just how useful she had been to Reign, by simply existing. She didn't have to prove anything, because Reign knows that she is stronger than she allows herself to be. I don't need you to do this, Ellansis. You being my friend is more than enough. They almost say, though they hold themself back, just offering the smallest of smiles. They have to believe in her, because they know she can do it, and if anything were to happen... they were here. 

"Okay, Ellie. Go ahead, my friend." Their voice softens, and they close their eyes for just a moment, head tilting as they smile. Their ears spin back, though, trying to make sure they were safe, even if they seemed calm. They just didn't let their guard down, and it isn't something they are willing to start now. 

6 Posts
Ooc — Lex
─────── There's a sheepish smile that graces the girl's features, Reign's surprise shifting into words that leave her silent. She supposed she could have understood it, had she still been that golden-pelted wolf from before. They would have gotten along better, Reign and that wild-furred girl. Could've been something great, rather than a wolf stuck playing babysitter.

"Well...I know how to fish. I just..." Just doesn't recall who pushed her muzzle down and instructed her to bite. Instinct or a downy-hided mother. She doesn't bother to finish her sentence, having already focused her attentions back to the gentle laps of the water. She has to do this right. Ellansis continues to stall, awaiting for the final piece of words to leave Reign because they simply wouldn't leave it at that.

Friend. The word is enough to send shivers down her spine and she is forced to bite back an over-whelming smile because when has anyone ever claimed her as their companion before? The way a pup will shake with excitement at their first real friend, that someone had looked at them and decided to keep them. Ellansis doesn't reply, but a half-tailed wag shows enough of her appreciation.

The woman continues to wade deeper into the depths, allowing the water to sink deeper into her skin and she has to suppress a shudder. It's a nice way to escape the heat, but the cold had often sunk its talons far deeper into Ellansis than any warmth. A scrawny pelt doesn't fulfill its purpose as well.

She stays still for a pregnant while, only to burst with speed and duck her head beneath the liquid mirror. A quick reveal of her silver-scaled catch, fitted with her own lopsided grin and a murmured, "Look! Told you! I can fish. Fish well." The water-bound beast wiggles in her grip, desperate to return to the waters but all Ellansis does is throw it to Reign.

Hopefully, they're a good catch.
5 Posts
Ooc — Lesha

It wasn't as if they doubted her. They didn't doubt anything she did, as they are a friend who encouraged more than anything, but they did worry sometimes, more than their brain would ever dare to register. Still, they watch, ears turning back because though their eyes are focused on their friend, their ears are focused elsewhere. They cannot afford to let their guard down, especially when Ellansis is doing something so dangerous. Even then, their brain drifts. They can't stop it, even though they desperately would have done anything to.

"Remember, my precious Reign Fall, this is for your own good."

"Not now. Get out of my head." They quietly beg, an aggressive look appearing in their muzzle. Memories. They need for Ellansis to hurry. Please. Their fears coated in anger and aggression would turn bad for anyone if they didn't get of their head. And in a state like that, they aren't sure if even Ellie would be safe. With a swift movement of their dandelion gaze, they blink and the memories fade, their jaw clamping around the fish that their companion had caught. 

Their tail wags, as they smile behind the wiggly water dweller. They drop it, away from the water, digging their claws in it to keep it from going anywhere. It is gonna die soon enough. "I see. You fish good. Better than I ever will, at that." They wag their tail again, with a smile, a gentle breath pushing past their lips. "Since you caught it, you get to eat first." They didn't even want it. Their appetite was gone, just that quick, and Ellansis deserved it much more than they had.