Broken Antler Fen She loves pop songs, and dancing, and bad trash TV
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
All Welcome 
Maia had never hoped to feel off before in her life, but as the weeks went, she found herself waiting with bated breath for any sign that something was different. So far, nothing. Had they done... enough? She'd enjoyed the time but after hadn't felt like it was any better than the closeness she and Eljay shared normally. She was glad that it didn't seem to mean much more to him than it did to her, but should she have tried a little more?

She didn't know if @Eljay was worried or not, she hadn't asked. They'd spoken of hopes and she did not want to dwell on the negative, not until she was sure.

Today she was skirting the fens, paws squelching slightly in the damp mud around the banks. In case things did pan out, she needed to up her storytelling arsenal. It had been a while.

Once there was a dragon that lived in the upper branches of a wide, enchanted forest, she started, speaking quietly to herself and looking up. He was the guardian of everyone who lived within it and chased any dangers away with his terrifying presence. But all who lived there knew that he was gentle. Hmmm. She liked the image of a giant dragon wound in the branches above, but she would need to pick a theme and a conflict. She thought on it, gaze distant as she allowed story to form in her mind.
Brecheliant
NPC
a hundred mini dreams and a healing scar ♥
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
-snatches up lonely thread-

Eljay didn't have worries like Maia's when it came to the conception; he'd never been faced with anyone that wanted pups but couldn't have them. Not that he knew of, anyway. His view was therefore innocent and open and he did not think of any of the potential pitfalls on the way before pups were even here. As far as he was aware, it started to get dangerous in the later stages of pregnancy and then the birth; not right now.

He was out scouting out one of the herds of deer of the Fen when he heard Maia's voice not far off. Presuming she was meeting with someone he initially decided to leave her to herself and her friend, but then as he turned away from her Eljay suddenly got an itch in his paws and could not help but turn around towards Maia again. With a spring in his step he headed her way, and as he approached Eljay smiled softly at her. She wasn't showing any signs of pregnancy yet, but that was okay, it could take a while.

To his surprise no one was there with her. Eljay asked gently, Telling a story to the forest elves? as he approached and nuzzled her cheek, unaware of how right he almost was.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
She wasn't expecting to be caught out here, though if it was going to be anyone, she was glad it was him. She laughed, only slightly self-conscious. If he thought she was a weirdo for being out here talking to herself, it didn't seem like it.

The tree sprites, actually. They don't like super dark stories, so I was stuck trying to figure out something exciting to tell instead. Maia hadn't been having much luck though. You couldn't really tell stories to little, little kids that had fighting and stuff, right? I mean, unless she didn't get super into it. It was hard to remember what her mom had done.

It's good practice. Just in case.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Eljay smiled when Maia said that it was the tree sprites. He didn't really know what those were, but mentally noted it. He should try to remember, before his children would start talking about sprites and dragons and he wouldn't have a clue what they were actually talking about. Any luck? Eljay asked her. As she said that it was good practise, he could not help but broaden his smile a little. Yeah. How are you feeling? Any, uh... Feel anything, yet? Eljay didn't doubt that Maia was pregnant, because he'd never really experienced problems with fertility in his pack himself, and it showed that he was confident of her pregnancy.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Not yet. I'm a little stuck on it. She smiled, but her face fell a bit when he asked the second question, and she shifted subconsciously away slightly. She knew it wasn't her fault but that didn't stop her from feeling a little ashamed anyway. No. Not really yet. She'd thought she felt something once or twice, but it was gone so fast that now she wondered if she was just feeling things. Especially with how hopeful she was, it wouldn't surprise her if her mind was just playing tricks on her somehow.

How long is too long? She asked, hoping avidly that the answer would be a good one and not already past.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
When Maia said she was stuck on it, Eljay offered, Well, there's time left. He smiled reassuringly. Maia then said she hadn't felt anything yet, and Eljay just nodded, not seeming too worried.

He only realised that Maia was maybe a little worried at all when she asked him 'how long is too long'. Eljay blinked in surprise, fell silent for a moment and then eventually he said, Are you worried about that? I... I don't know, I haven't really thought much about it. Every pregnancy is different. Most women show at some point, but some don't show anything until very late. Do you remember Towhee with Meerkat? So it's... I don't think that's something to worry about. I'm sure that it's fine. Eljay smiled, though it showed that he was a little concerned now that Maia had brought this worry up. What if? But why did she think that way? Was she worried because she felt that something was wrong?
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Uh, not really. I mean, maybe? She replied a little haltingly, suddenly pretty interested in the ground. It was embarrassing, knowing he was so calmly confident about it while she seemed bound and determined to imagine everything that might be wrong. It's just... Wraen can't. Which she's totally fine with, but, what if? I mean, I've never tried, so... she trailed off with a shrug and a self-conscious shake of her fur.

She hoped Wraen wouldn't mind her telling Eljay that, but she never really imagined them having secrets like that. Not saying anything would have meant she assumed he would do something with the information to hurt her sister and she couldn't even picture that. Honestly, he probably already knew; but Maia hadn't considered that Wraen might have spoken to Eljay about all that already.

I just want it so badly, but what if it isn't possible? To her horror, she felt tears well up, but she managed to keep them choked back. She didn't know where it came from, but all the sudden, everything felt entirely overwhelming.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Maia did seem insecure about this, and Eljay instantly felt guilty that he hadn't picked up on it before. In his mind, it had never been a possibility, but as Maia explained that Wraen couldn't have children, he suddenly realised where her nervousness came from. Oh, Maia... he muttered as he drew closer and nosed her cheek. I didn't know that. I get why you're nervous about it then. The words were gentle even though they could have been interpreted harshly.

I want it badly too, Eljay admitted after a short silence, and then he quickly added: But if it isn't the stars for us, we'll deal. Together. Alright? He smiled softly. Even though he was a worrier, in this case Eljay thought it was best if they just waited it out. Regardless of whether or not there'd be little Maia-Eljays, he'd love here anyway.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
She didn't like worrying him over her worry, and he was too good to her even now. She dipped her head and pressed it to him. No, I'm just being dumb and it's not a big deal. It was amazing to hear him say he'd be okay with the outcome either way, though. Rationally she knew he was better than that, but some part of her had worried if things didn't pan out, she'd lose him.

Fate is a funny thing, because a few moments later, something happened. Something shifted and Maia felt her lungs compress slightly, shortening her breath. Her eyes flew open and she stiffened. It only lasted a few moments, but she didn't understand what was happening. She'd felt weird once or twice over the past few weeks, but nothing this substantial, and now she was wondering if maybe something else was wrong with her.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
When she said that she was just being dumb and it wasn't a big deal, Eljay hesitated. He didn't like when Maia said she was 'dumb' and he felt like it was a bigger deal to her than it might be to him (or at least that it affected her a different way). He also didn't want to get into an argument over it, though, which was why he hesitated to press it.

I don't like when you call yourself dumb, Eljay said, his words an uncertain murmur that betrayed that he didn't want to argue about it. Maia didn't respond though; not with more than a gasp at least. What happened? Are you okay? Eljay asked immediately, his eyes searching her to see if anything was physically wrong as far as he could tell.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
She would have been embarrassed if she'd heard, but she missed what he said with the sudden sensation that briefly seized her. Something was pressing on her lungs and she spent a few moments gasping before it suddenly let up. I don't.... what was that? She asked, still a little breathlessly. She didn't expect him to actually know, it was more rhetorical than anything.

It was like something was pushing. She swallowed and her pulse picked up a little nervously. Was something wrong with her? Even with the previous talk, the sensation didn't scream "puppy" enough for her to put two and two together automatically.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Eljay didn't have an answer for Maia's question, and the worry remained in his eyes as he looked her over, but found nothing out of place. He was mercilessly at her hands, could only wait for her to elaborate so that he could decipher if something was horribly wrong with her.

She elaborated at last, and said that something felt like it was pushing. Pushing... Where? he asked with withheld breath, and Eljay looked inquisitively at Maia, waiting for her to elaborate. Could it be... the puppies?
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
It didn't hurt but it didn't feel great. The worst part was how much it scared her, though. She hadn't been sick or injured often, so when stuff like this happened, she tended to catastrophize. Like a good google search, her mind was running down all the worst things that could be wrong. She didn't actually know that many illnesses, but the worst was currently (literal) 'bug'.

Lower chest, she answered, throat tight. It stopped, but... that's worse, right? Why would it.... wait. Finally, a lightbulb clicked, and suddenly her expression shifted from fear to surprised shock.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Maia seemed not to realise what was going on until she described where the pushing feeling was happening. Eljay was about to ask if it felt as if something inside her was pushing, rather than herself, but then it seemed as if the lightbulb went on in Maia's own head as well and she figured it out. Eljay smiled at her and he said excitedly, It's the pups! and he moved in to boop Maia's snoot lovingly while his tail wagged in contained excitement.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
we can wrap this if you like! And maybe have a new one?

You think!? Maia's expression immediately transitioned from shock to wondrous excitement. She wouldn't have had any idea how it was supposed to feel having puppies, but it made sense. All the little things she'd passed off as herself just wanting it too badly... she didn't feel noticeably different, but there was a tidge of something there.

She waited, hoping that something would happen again, but for now there was nothing. Finally she breathed out a small sigh. Nothing again, but... that was definitely something. I think.... I think it's happening. Her eyes shone as she looked at him, tail swaying automatically with her happiness.

She wondered if there was a way to make them move, some way she could confirm it and let Eljay feel. Could you... I mean, can you tell? If anyone in the pack could, it would definitely be him, and she looked at him hopefully.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
yes! <3

Maybe Eljay just really wanted it to be the pups, but he felt confident with all his midwife experience that it must be that. It made sense, since she hadn't been showing at all yet and that was maybe a little late; but not everyone grew round in the same way. Towhee hadn't known at all on her first litter.

Eljay smiled brightly as Maia was swept up in the enthusiasm of the pups being really there. Maia asked him if he could tell then, and Eljay said, Well, I can try to feel. But the description — It sounds like it's the pups. He leaned down the side of his head to her stomach so that he could confirm. Hmm, I can't find anything yet, he said, But let's get back to the napping spot and try some more. Eljay smiled softly and he nuzzled Maia before heading the way towards their sleeping place so that he could try and figure out if it was truly the pups moving in there.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Maia nodded eagerly and followed. She was a little disappointed he couldn't right away, but if she couldn't even feel it, it made sense he wouldn't either. She'd try as long as it took, though; or at least, as long as Eljay wanted to.

She couldn't believe how incredibly lucky she was in all this. Not only was she maybe actually going to be a mom, but she had one of the best midwifes right here as a mate, ready to take her through it. She couldn't imagine how much more terrified she'd have been if she didn't know that and trust him so much.