Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,597 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
All Welcome 
Backdated to 6/21. All welcome, but please let Meerkat post first. :)

He was silent as he moved forward, nose to the ground. The last time he'd done this was the day Niamh left. He pushed it down. Down, down, down.

Later was the word that echoed in his head. You can process it later.

Phox was vaguely aware of @Meerkat's presence, although he couldn't let himself be happy about seeing her. That split second before he'd gotten what shall now be referred to as The News was the only moment he'd felt joy these past three months, and it had been ripped away from him immediately.

@Peregrine! @Prevost! If they were nearby, perhaps they could hear their names. Peregrine! Prevost! He would shout their names until his throat was sore; he knew that much. Phox couldn't stand the thought of losing anybody else.
player preferences
-speaking+ptero- -ptero- speaking
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She had resolved to do whatever Phox asked of her. Whatever he needed from her right now. No questions asked. That meant tamping down the overwhelming urge to run directly to the caldera to tell Towhee et al that she'd found him at last. Surely they would head home after they found the missing kids, with them in tow. It would be very bittersweet, though it would be a family reunion of a sort.

Meerkat frowned, pressing her lips together as Phox shouted the pups' names. He didn't seem to feel sorry for himself but she regarded him with utmost sympathy. He didn't know them but these were his kids whose names he shouted so desperately. They were her brother and sister, a thought which fueled her own, "PEREGRINE! PREVOST! CALL OUT IF YOU CAN HEAR US!"
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moonglow
Lambda
65 Posts
Ooc — Twin
he heard his name.

dad —? no, no. it didn't sound like dad. it was so loud, and different somehow — then echoed by a far more feminine voice that absolutely did not sound like mom. good, he thought with childish petulance, casting a glance behind him at his weirdo companion who he'd come to appreciate purely on the basis of them not being either of The Abandoners. @Buzzard wasn't exactly nice, or fun to be around, or —

okay, actually, buzzard kind of sucked.

it suddenly occurred to him that maybe whoever was calling him would be better company. they were calling his name, after all — so that meant they wanted him, right? he scrunched his face, thinking hard on the pair of voices that had materialized in the role he'd expected of his mother and father. well... maybe they were his parents. his new parents! mom and dad didn't want him, so maybe someone else had decided to take up the mantle.

that thought sent him running before he even decided to run, leaving buzzard in the dust. HI, he yelled as he ran; not the most appropriate greeting, but then, the feminine voice hadn't actually clarified what he was supposed to call out, and that was the best he had. peregrine was not a creative child. a bit advanced in his capacity for conclusion-jumping and unfounded resentment, perhaps, but thus far incapable of creating much other than imagined slights and scenarios of abandonment. right then, all he could think about was how he hoped his new mom and dad would be better than the last. maybe they'd take him back to the island.
Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,597 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
Meerkat called out for them as well, and Phox reeled at the thought of another endless search. The search that could have ended much sooner if—no, this was not the time for those feelings.

As luck would have it, Peregrine did hear them, and he came rushing forward. Phox could have died at the sight of him.

Peregrine! Are you okay? Is Prevost with you? he asked in rapid succession, checking the boy—his son—over for any signs of mistreatment. Thankfully, nothing stood out.
player preferences
-speaking+ptero- -ptero- speaking
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She wracked her brain for something uplifting to say to her dad while they looked. A thought hit her upside the head. She should tell him all about Caracal and the twins! Probably not Marten, not in these circumstances. But there was Killdeer too! Mixed as her own feelings were toward her nephew, surely Phox would enjoy hearing about his grandson.

She opened her mouth right when a boyish voice called, “Dad?” And then, from closer, “HI!” And suddenly a young boy stood before them, looking very much the Redhawk.

Phox moved in to assess the pup—his son—and Meerkat closed ranks too. There was no Maegi or Mou here to interfere, so after a momentary hesitation, she nudged his cheek.

Hi, Peregrine. I’m Meerkat, she introduced with a few jovial waves of her tail. There was still Prevost to find, yet she was so, so happy to see him. It’s so good to finally meet you.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
77 Posts
Ooc — mutton
dad—?

Buzzard’s incessant rambling finally came to an end when the kid spoke up. Dad? they repeated as they did a 360. They snickered briefly. I think you might have a couple screws loose. That’s what happens when you spend a couple days with a guy as annoying as them. But just as they finished that sentence the kid’s name was called out, followed by another much louder holler.

Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit. Fun’s over, search party’s here. Well, it was only a matter of time before some crying parent came looking for their missing crotch fruit. If they found a coyote near their precious brat, who knew what they’d do? Probably rip a tail off. Or an ear. Or both. They’d lose something, so best high tail it out of here right? 

Maybe Buzzard was the one with the screws loose, cause they chased after the kid. As they ran all Buzzard could think was: what the fuck. Why were they doing this? Risking their neck and for what? 

As the scent of wolf grew closer, they slowed down. Buzzard came to a complete stop when the trio came into view. They arrived just in time to hear the assumed-to-be father worrying over his patch of felt.

He’s fineeee, Buzzard called. Holy shit why are they talking right now? If Condor were here he’d smack the shit out of them and drag them away by the ears. Too bad the voice of reason was absent. Kid’s been following me for days. Kept him fed and breathing. No need to thank me.

Buzzard’s eyes shifted to Peregrine. One last look. Maybe that’s what they wanted. One last look at the most annoying kid before they went off on their again. 

So uhhh, I’d appreciate you not ripping my tail off when I leave. Right now. As they said this they were slowly backing away, and would soon turn and speed walk the hell out of here if they weren’t interrupted.