Haunted Wood I think I was wrecked all along.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,964 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Private 
She roused from her latest doze a little before midnight, some forty-eight hours after the snakebite. Things had gotten very dicey for a little while there, though now Towhee felt like she might actually pull through this. With that said, she had never felt worse in her whole life. The venom had really done a number on her and just because she'd survived it didn't mean she was out of the woods yet (quite literally).

Towhee dragged herself to the nearby water to soak her painful and swollen paw. She took a long drink too, which helped her actually perk up a bit for the first time since. She raised her head to look around for @Bridget, squinting in the darkness. Without her, she would've almost certainly died. Bridget had stuck by her side, fetching food and offering remedies when she could, nursing the Sovereign through the worst of it.

One day, when she fully recovered, she would try to repay her somehow. For now, she had one last favor to ask of her. It would definitely take all her strength. Towhee would need to get some more sleep and ideally some food in her before she undertook it, which meant it would have to wait until morning at the earliest, no matter how much she wanted to do it right fucking now.

"Bridget," she rasped, "tomorrow, I'd like to go home."
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Brecheliant
Family
797 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
She was right - it had been a long forty eight hours. Bridget was tired, hungry, and just dozing off when she heard Towhee splash into the stream. Her eyes shot open with a start and she sat up, yawning. Ah, shit.

She wasn't drowning herself, but was washing the wound instead. Good, it was a sign she was at least feeling better, but Bridget could tell still that 'better' was still a step below 'absolute shit'. Venom was nasty business and she still wasn't convinced it wouldn't turn.

So the last thing Towhee needed was to traipse across the wilds, even if she did feel the need to get home. I wouldn't suggest it. She answered plainly, shaking and getting to her paws. Shit, she was tired. Hard to sleep with the image of waking up to a corpse instead of a patient. Maybe the morning after, but you need to let it leave your system. Any physical activity or strain would only aggravate it, she figured. Frankly, you don't look up to it, and I'm not up to carrying you.

She couldn't force the woman to stay but she was bound to giving her honest opinion.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,964 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Bridget countered her and Towhee felt her heart sink a little, though it wasn't unexpected. She didn't have the strength to argue, nor the will. This woman knew what she was doing. As much as she wanted to get home, Towhee wanted to be alive when she got there.

"Okay," she said quietly, "then... can you please go to the caldera in the morning, tell them what's happened and where I am?" Maybe Towhee was flattering herself but she imagined the Redhawks were wondering and worrying, especially her kids. With Reyes out of the picture, they were currently down two parents. She knew they didn't want for substitute caretakers but she hated to think Caracal and the twins might feel abandoned. She would never, no matter how much they—and life in general—tried her sometimes.

Just thinking about it made her feel restless, an itchy heat breaking out beneath her skin. Tears sprang to her eyes. Towhee shifted in the wet grass beside the stream, withdrawing her leg and peering at her right paw. It looked mangled. She wondered if it would ever heal properly or if she was going to have limited use of it. With a small thread of horror, Towhee realized this might affect her ability to use ptero.

Of course, Bridget was right there to ask. And if they weren't going anywhere anytime soon and she had the wherewithal to ask, Towhee wondered, "Will this heal?"
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Brecheliant
Family
797 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Bridget didn't like that much better, but the caldera was close enough that the trip wouldn't be long. And she'd rather she go than this woman, plus the ease of knowing where her family was would be good. She wished, momentarily, she could inform Brecheliant as well... but she didn't have the luxury of that trip just yet. Just a short one would have to serve. She'd need to get back here.

Lucky break she'd been out gathering marigold.

Yeah, I can do that. She moved, gathering up a few of the flowers as Towhee asked her question. Carrying them over, she set them down to inspect it.

Everything heals. She answered patiently, though she was sympathetic. It looked pretty bad. This will. Will it heal the same? I'm not sure. You'll be able to walk on it at least. She'd never treated a snake bite like this and didn't want to make promises that weren't the truth. This will help.

She chewed the flowers, then layered the paste over the wound. If it got infected that was a whole other plight to deal with. Let that dry on some before you soak it again, alright?
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,964 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She wondered if Bridget would be reluctant to leave her by herself, though it should be a relatively quick trip. Fortunately, she agreed, and Towhee let out a breath of relief. She still wanted so badly to go home, yet at least her loved ones wouldn't be left hanging for much longer.

Bridget reassured her that it would heal, though it might never be the same. Towhee made no reply, holding still and watching as the pale she-wolf gathered up some flowers the same color as a sunset. Even in the dark, they were bright. She wrinkled her nose a bit when Bridget began to chew on them, imagining they didn't taste so great.

Towhee hissed sharply when the medic spread the resultant paste over the snakebite. "Fuck, that still hurts like a bitch," she said, letting out a shaky breath. "I mean, everything hurts but my foot, it's..." She paused, trying to come up with words to describe. "It's worse than childbirth."

She offered a small, grimacing nod when Bridget told her to let the paste dry before soaking it again. "Thanks," Towhee acknowledged, "for everything. I mean..." She glanced at the rippling water a few feet away, sparkling a little under the light of the waning crescent moon. "I'd be dead meat right now if it wasn't for you."

Her eyes drifted back to Bridget's face, studying the woman in the darkness, really taking in the details for the first time. She really reminded Towhee of Fennec and Meerkat, though her copper markings and lavender eyes set her apart. The Sovereign felt a great fondness for this stranger who had saved her keister.

"All I know about you is your name and that you're a healer," she mused. "Will you tell me about yourself?" She was finally conscious enough to pay attention and, despite the low light, their proximity allowed her to read Bridget's lips. Towhee focused on them, genuinely interested in learning more about her savior.

Brecheliant
Family
797 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
When Towhee agreed, Bridget took a step back and settled down again into a sitting position, sphynx-like. She could feel the heat of the stranger's eyes on her and appreciated it, but she was a damn professional. Didn't matter how much of a slice this woman was, no way she'd hit on a patient, especially without testing the waters first.

Childbirth confirmed what she remembered now. Towhee had children, a few, she recalled from the plea of the previous night.

There isn't a whole lot to know, she answered conversationally. I live in Brecheliant now, but I'm from the Court originally. My friend and I came here when our first pack scattered. She bypassed recent happenings, addressing the first part instead. Thanks for the credit, but it isn't a huge thing. No medic in their right mind would walk away without trying something. It's part of the job, and without it I couldn't call myself much of a healer.

She smiled, the warmth of amusement lighting up the expression genuinely. She wasn't a stranger to gratitude but hell, she didn't need any favors. She was just doing her job.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,964 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
The mention of Wraen's pack made Towhee draw in a sharp breath, a different brand of hurt spangling in her chest. That loss was still fresh, the pain raw. She almost dropped her eyes, still wet with tears she thought for sure might fall now. In fact, one escaped from her right eye and she moved to swipe at it before the agony in her paw reminded her to be still. She let out another hiss and just let the saltwater slip down her cheekbone.

All the while, she tried to maintain her focus on Bridget's words. She missed a few of them in her distraction, though she caught enough to garner meaning through context. She seemed like a very humble wolf, downplaying her role in saving Towhee's life and insisting there wasn't much to tell otherwise. The Sovereign cocked her head, sure that wasn't true, but it seemed like maybe Bridget wasn't the type who enjoyed having the spotlight on herself.

"Well, it may not be huge to you but it's absolutely huge to me. I'm alive because of you. More importantly, my kids won't be orphans." She ran her tongue over her lips, feeling a pang for them. Another tear escaped and Towhee switched the subject quickly, asking, "What court?"

Brecheliant
Family
797 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Bridget hadn't been there when Towhee came and, as a result, didn't know the relationship she'd shared with Wraen. When she caught the tears, she instead assumed it was the pain and made mental note to keep an eye out for anything that might help ease it.

The Faerie Court. It was an offshoot of the pack I grew up in, but it didn't last. Not like this one has. She paused, thoughtful. I think it's hard to force a family, yknow? Sometimes a pack gets along well and you really connect, and sometimes you look up to realize most everyone has already moved on.

She was glad for it. Despite everything recently she loved Brecheliant for what it was. That hit close to things she didn't want to speak much on, though, so instead she laughed lightly. So - what sends someone like you out picking fights with snakes? Did you deserve it, or do I need to go find the thing and make sure it apologizes?
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,964 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Under different circumstances, Towhee might've dunked on the pack's name. But all she did was tilt her head and pay attention to everything else Bridget said. Naturally, she thought of the Redhawks and how they were some sort of messy hybrid: tightly knit but explosively dramatic despite it... or possibly because of it.

When Bridget mentioned everyone else moving on, Towhee did glance away. She was sure the medic meant something slightly different but the Sovereign could definitely relate to that feeling, particularly lately. A lot of the time, folks left. Some came back. Others didn't, disappearing or dying. Towhee didn't know what was worse: closure or lack of it.

She only mused for a moment or two, looking up and realizing Bridget was saying something else. "—fights with snakes? Did you deserve it, or do I need to go find the thing and make sure it apologizes?"

Towhee understood it was meant as a joke, intended to offer some levity in a terrible situation. But her stomach clenched. Maybe the rattlesnake did represent some sort of karmic consequence, though she couldn't put her finger on any particularly egregious sin. And hadn't the universe already beaten her pretty soundly by now?

Shoving aside the slightly existential crisis, Towhee answered in the same vein the question had been asked with a simple, cheeky, "Yes." And even though she hadn't actually caught it, she managed to answer the first question by adding, "You know. I was out here 'cause my kids were driving me nuts. I needed a break. That's why I'm so grateful to you. Their last memory of me would've been me being moody and short with them before stomping off." This time, tears slipped out of both eyes at once. "Shit."

Brecheliant
Family
797 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
She watched, unruffled, as Towhee reacted and considered her question. She didn't respond until Towhee choked up and the tears started.

Hey, now it won't be. She moved closer automatically, closing the distance to comfort her best she could. Everyone has bad days. So long as you give them more good ones, they won't even remember the bad. Kids are pretty cool like that.

She wasn't talking from a place of parenting experience, but that didn't make a difference. It was hard to believe any kid could hold much against a mom who cared this much. You'll be back before you know it.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,964 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She felt a flicker of embarrassed heat lick through her belly at her uncontrollable display of emotions, not to mention her inability to get rid of the evidence. Bridget moved closer, taking pity on her and offering words of reassurance that made Towhee tear up even more. All she could do was blink and breathe.

Hope you’re right. And hope they don’t think I fucked off or something. I’d never leave them, Towhee whispered fiercely, her throat thick and her words even harder to understand than usual.

She really wanted to divert herself in the hopes the crying might stop, though Towhee was also genuinely curious about the answer when she asked, You a mom?

Brecheliant
Family
797 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
She assumed that her presence helped though it was hard to tell. She was no stranger to these kind of displays and there wasn't a hint of embarrassment or judgment as she said what she did. Even grown men sometimes couldn't help breaking down in front of a healer; she'd seen all kinds.

She shook with a quiet laugh and shook her head. You got me. No, I'm not a mom. But I had one, and much as we butted heads, I always knew she wouldn't walk out on me. You don't seem like the type of mom who could give that impression either. Bridget's mom woulda eaten her own tail before she let her daughter insult her with the thought of that. Damn, she missed her sometimes.

Your kids are young? They had a lot of new pups in Brecheliant, and a few moms. No, wait; one mom. She internally corrected and felt a pang. Maybe when all this was over, she'd let Maia go check in on Towhee. They could mom bond or whatever, talk shit about kids they wanted to murder so they didn't need to go seeking snakes to wrestle.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,964 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Bridget said no, then explained her perspective. Towhee knew it was extremely cliched, yet she couldn’t help but think she would make a great mother. She was humble, kind, with an incredible bedside manner. Most of all, she knew how to comfort and Towhee found some solace in what she had to say.

Have I told you yet that you’re a lifesaver? Towhee quipped rather than pry about motherhood. That was very personal and she still sensed Bridget preferred not to focus on herself much. Yeah, she added, drawing in a steadying breath, they’re only a few months old. And their dad is out of the picture. They have a lot of other relatives around but, you know… this is why I need to get back to them, stat, she finished with a sad click of her tongue.

Brecheliant
Family
797 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Might've mentioned it a few times, Bridget answered with a knowing smile. Careful, say that too much and I'll have to roll my big head to the Caldera tomorrow. God, good company, a caring mom, and witty. Instant crush material.

Young and no dad. That was odd, the way she did it didn't make it sound like their father was dead. Just no longer around. She was curious to know more but knew better than to poke that bear. Good they have relatives. Anyone in particular I should let know where you are?
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,964 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She braced herself in case Bridget asked about the kids’ dad. She didn’t, though she inquired after any particular names or faces to summon when she called at the caldera tomorrow.

My eldest daughter, Fennec. She’s one of my seconds. The other, Rue, is probably still out on the road. Meerkat might be too, Towhee thought aloud, her words interrupted by a sudden yawn. When it passed, she continued, listing off the name of pretty much every Redhawk. You can call for anyone and I’m sure they’ll pass the message along.

She fell quiet for a few breaths, thankful to note her tears had dried. Now her eyes felt dry, grainy and swollen. Towhee found herself blinking twice as much, which probably had something to do with how tired she felt too.

You can tell them, she began, only to be cut off by another expansive yawn. Sorry. Tell them I’ll be back soon, so they don’t have to come here. I mean, don’t tell them I forbid it or anything. I just need them to hold down the fort, you know?

Brecheliant
Family
797 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Towhee's yawns set off her own, which she tried to smother and only half succeeded. Things really were contagious.

I'll see who I get, but I'll make sure the message gets to her. There were plenty of other questions to ask and things to talk about, but this was going well. They were both tired and Bridget needed to find them food for the night, especially if she'd be leaving tomorrow.

We'll get you back there ASAP, and every bit of rest helps. Holler if you need anything? She got to her feet and stretched with an appreciative sound as her back gave a satisfying pop. Meantime I'm going to go rustle us up some dinner. House special would be anything slow enough to fall prey to her without too much of a chase.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,964 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She let herself feel reassured by Bridget’s words yet again. Towhee wanted to offer her more thanks for everything she’d done and had yet to do, though she was pretty sure she’d laid it on pretty thickly already. She didn’t want to make Bridget uncomfortable. Maybe before she fell asleep, she could brainstorm some other way to repay some of her kindnesses.

You got it, Dr Bridget, she replied simply, droopy eyes following the woman’s movements as she stood and stretched in preparation to go hunt. Appreciate ya, she couldn’t help but murmur, not even sure it would be loud enough for Bridget to catch.

Another yawn forced her jaws apart and Towhee unthinkingly shook herself, only to freeze at how much it hurt all over. She sighed through the pain before unlocking her muscles to carefully stretch into a more comfortable position and let her head drop to the cool summer grass.

Brecheliant
Family
797 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Got that right, she thought as Towhee acquiesced with her title, smiling and watching her settle in briefly before she turned to go. She missed the final comment but the sentiment definitely went both ways. It felt good to be able to do something. Tambourine, Wraen, Ibis... all of them dead before she'd even known to intercede. She didn't let it ride on her conscious but it was hard not to feel the regret of a healer who hadn't had the chance to even try.

If she could ensure this woman's children weren't left like Ibis', she would do everything she could. And the fact that she was enjoyable to be around only made the job a little easier.

Maybe, when everything was done, she'd have to make a few trips of her own to the neighbors. Just to make sure everything was fine.