Duskfire Glacier Extended Family
stars cannot shine without darkness
469 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Private 
OOC: For @Lane and the kiddos. Dated for the 12th.

As much as Tzila enjoyed spending time with her children, watching them grow by leaps and bounds, even a mother had her own needs to attend to. Unfurling herself from Makatza, Arius and Ensio, she rose carefully so as not to disturb their sleep. A sweeping glance of attentiveness found them still, bundled together, sharing their warmth. For now.

Ducking swiftly outside the exit of her den, Tzila darted out into the open beyond the caverns to relieve herself. As soon as she was finished, she swept back in. Breezing by her den, she peered in far enough for yet another check on her children. Finding nothing amiss, she took an extra minute to stretch, letting the muscle around her spine loosen. 

At that moment, her eye landed on Lane's personal dwelling. Ever since her own birth, she had not had a moment with the new mother. And understandably so, since she was busy with her own two, slightly older pups as well. Unwilling to stray too far from her own den but eager to learn of how the Medic was faring, Tzila called out in a soft tone, testing and listening, should Lane be awake.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Tzila's soft summons pulled Lane away from the precipice on which she teetered, straddling the line between wake and sleep. The young mother tucked Imaq's fur snugly around her sleeping children, not that they really needed it. Even if the weather hadn't been boiling, they were little heat-factories themselves now. The fur functioned more to keep them in place, rather than to keep them warm. Wayfarer would be detained wrestling herself out of the fur, which would give Lane a few more precious moments to herself before it was necessary for her to return and hunt down her errant daughter. 

Veteran had yet to find his feet. He preferred to sit, cuddled up with his mother, and watch as his sister made her endless laps around their chamber. Lane wasn't sure it had occurred to the boy that he could probably walk too, if only he would just try it. He seemed perfectly content to let his sister have all the new experiences and try everything out before he did. 

Lane stole away quietly, greeting Tzila in the main chamber with a weary smile of solidarity. They hadn't really checked in much, aside from nods and quick words exchanged the few rare times they had passed each other coming in or going out of the caverns. They were always rushed, knowing their children felt every second of their mothers' absence. 

"How are yours?" Lane asked, tone hushed. These caves did echo terribly. "Wayfarer's walking now." It was a point of pride for her, since it seemed like her firstborn was a bit ahead of the development curve. At least she was compared to Veteran. "Their teeth are starting to really hurt when they nurse.. does that mean its almost time for solid food?" Lane asked hopefully, seeking Tzila's wisdom. Once the children graduated to solids, Wintersbane would be able to help feed them, and Lane was sure that he was looking forward to being able to provide for the children more directly.
469 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Since giving birth to their children, both mothers understandably, had little time to spend together. This quick little break would do them good, allowing them to catch up on all the exciting news. Tzila had enough peace of mind knowing that she was close at hand, should one of her children cry out in need of tending to. An extra set of ears in the form of her own, or Lane's, was always a blessing as well.

She moved close enough to gently skim the leather like, cool surface of her nose against the fur of Lane's ear. She even threw in a quick, gentle nibble of grooming. "They are coming along nicely. Two boys and a girl, all healthy." She chuckled. "Though I can tell they already have their individual personalities." With their litters born so close together, the progress should be similar. She smiled, pleased at the news. "That is good. She...certainly sounds active." She laughed, putting it lightly. There were many hours during the day and night when she had been awoken by Wayfarer's voice. "Mine are just finding their feet too."

She sat on her hindquarters, taking in Lane's questions with the patience that a mother with some former experience under her belt had. "That's unfortunate. Discomforting, but normal." She shifted to the side, to allow her a glimpse of her stomach, where she too, was growing sore. "But not quite yet. This is more of a...transitional phase. Last year, my son didn't start on solids until eight weeks. A slow introduction is best. Letting them test small bits of soft meat, a little at a time, won't hurt. And when they aren't hungry, there are alternative items. Soft, flexible bones, feathers, skins or twigs. They need to get that gnawing energy out, so I like to give them plenty of outlets."
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Lane nodded along, although Tzila's prescription of eight weeks (eight weeks!) of nursing gave her a sinking feeling in her stomach. Surely that was overkill? Lane's own mother hadn't nursed last year's litter past five weeks, Lane was nearly certain. Lane wasn't sure she could even make it that long, given the prize she would receive upon weaning the pups: another scout's trip outside the boundaries of the Glacier. 

While Lane was merely enduring motherhood, Tzila seemed to be thriving on it. And why shouldn't she? She had everything she could want: a stable home, a position of respect, a  husband to love-- who also happened to be an alpha, and children to carry on their line. 

Their line. 

That reminded Lane. 

"Tzila, when your kids were born, you brought Wintersbane and Rye into your chamber..." Lane ventured, speaking slowly. She paused. She did not want to cause offense, and Lane was unsure whether Tzila considered Lane a close enough friend to ask about such things outright.
469 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Tzila wasted no time in receiving Lane's curiosity as well as addressing it. She knew that at some point, sooner or later, that she would have to clear the air with Lane about Rye. "I did." She got up and took a soft but meaningful step closer. "Listen. Ever since I have been apart of this pack, I have believed in being nothing but honest with everyone. So I won't lie to you and say there wasn't a reason I invited Rye into my den as well."

She sucked in a breath, dark ears flitting backwards in a show of uncertainty of how her friend may react. But this was better than keeping it bottled up any longer. "I had been waiting for the right time to tell you, and didn't want to add on any [size=small]unnecessary [/size]stress while you were carrying. But, shortly after Wintersbane and I courted, Rye found me. I...we both had a moment of weakness. They are both aware what had happened, and what it may mean. But we've moved past it."
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Even though it was what Lane had predicted, her stomach fell through the floor when Tzila made her admission. 

"Why would that stress me out?" Lane responded, trying to sound offhanded rather than defensive. Had Tzila guessed her feelings for Rye? Had Lane not hidden those as well as she thought? 

"So.. how did you do that, exactly? Move past it, I mean?" Lane was not the touchy-feely type, but it seemed like Tzila and Wintersbane would have to be especially detached to simply let go of each other's dalliances during the mating season. Lane thought this mostly because she was having such strong feelings about Rye's sexcapades. If Tzila had any insight that might help Lane get over her jealousy issues, she was all ears. She still had a few months to get through before the kids were old enough, and she could put Duskfire Glacier in her rearview.

Editing in a fade.

Lane and Tzila would continue to chat for a long time, despite that fact that they were interrupted by their children at regular intervals. Lane would come away from the conversation with a newfound respect for Tzila's maternal knowledge and a profound relief that she had the more experienced mother so readily at hand to provide guidance.