Redhawk Caldera متشدد mutashadid
Akashingo
NPC
279 Posts
Ooc —
Random Event 
within the woods they found many worn paths.

the scent of prey pervaded many of them; layers of wolf-scent, man and woman and even child together. enough for the jewel to think it was wrong to tread through it. keeping wits sharp, the roaming courtesan followed the drifting constellations overhead.

by morning they were faced with the sight of a mountain missing its head. peculiar; they would wonder if this was the cause of the smoke in the air.

winding carefully through the darkest recesses, jawahir prowled along the richly marked edge of the claim—wondering what secrets might be unearthed.
Daughter of The Bear
158 Posts
Ooc — Dai
Aliana yawned as she walked along the Pack borders, this was the second time this day. The norm. She usually patrolled two to three times out of the day before settling in for the day, maybe even four if she feels a bit paranoid. She had enough experience in doing this that she had built a sort of habit out of it - amble along a good dozen paces, stop, scan the horizon for any movements for a good minute, leave a scent marker then continue on. It is really easy when you think about it, all you had to worry about is the occasionally stranger wolf and-

Aliana’s train of thought squealed to a stop as her eyes caught movement, something - a figure - moving along the border's edge, not yet crossing it but obviously looking in, trying to see something beyond them. They had pups that were moving around and exploring - the last thing they need is some creep snooping around the borders. 
She was soon moving again, but her once relaxed walk quickly took on purpose, striding across the grass. The closer she got, the more she could make out the figure, she thought it was a wolf at first, but now she could see that they looked too small... Lanky and thin. Her eyes narrowed and she quickly picked up the pace, trying to close in on them before they noticed her large form charging towards them like an angry bear.

This is the law of the Jungle, as old and as true as the sky, And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree trunk, the law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

Akashingo
NPC
279 Posts
Ooc —
there are many scents here.
in a general sense, everyone is healthy. there are even younger, sweeter scents among the rest; though not all the markings carry this note, it is enough to tell the coyote there are children present. it is sensible to expect any thriving pack to have children, though the presence of this lingering information makes jawahir doubt their internal timeline.

anarkali spoke of breeding season. it seemed now that they had misjudged things, arrived too late. it would require them to adjust their plans.
still, jawahir was not bothered. men would need distraction from their hard work as husbands; wives too, given the proclivity.

there is little time to think on things further. the crushing of the undergrowth puts a halt on the courtesan's wandering and as they stop, rearing back like a horse with a strong bit tugging at their head, they see it: a massive shape and slick shadow forming and growing in the periphery.

jawahir slips back, bounding spritely in to shadow. the wolf will find them if they stop to think and to properly hunt, and in that time the jewel will ascertain the danger. they call out: do not worry, i only came for a look. your precious line has not been crossed, dear one.

perhaps it is unwise to call out when trying not to be eaten, but jawahir lived life on the edge.
The Phoenix General
180 Posts
Ooc — Cheeto

Coyote.

He could smell it from a mile away.

Sketchy, thieving creatures that were ecspecially dangerous in groups, Āzon had a difficult time trusting them after having not-so positive run ins from his more feeble youth -- one of which almost cost him his damned life. Ocassionally, they'd pass the areas near the Caldera every now and then, but this one's scent lingered too dangerously close near the borders for him to feel comfortable about it. So he followed suit. Straight towards the scent of wherever the lanky canine could've been lurking, and upon his approach he'd run into the barreling form of Aliana. 

A short chuff was offered in greeting as he slowly flanked the woman, with a sharp gaze to ask a simple inquiry. "Where?"

The Pheonix General
Daughter of The Bear
158 Posts
Ooc — Dai
She was halfway there when she heard Azon, she slowed only a little to listen before jabbing her snout towards the coyote.

"There." 

And with that, she continued, knowing that Azon was right besides her. Aliana didn't charge at the coyote, like it said it hadn't crossed the border but that didn't ease her somewhat aggressive posturing. Instead once they were face to face, she placed her large body right in front of the coyote's view of their Pack's land.

"Looking at what? Because there's nothing for you here..." She huffed. Aliana knew of no one who had any relationship with a coyote - friendly or otherwise - in this pack. So this was just some coyote having a gaze at their land. Why? It was weird! The equivalent of some stranger peering into your home through a window and knowing they're there.

This is the law of the Jungle, as old and as true as the sky, And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree trunk, the law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

Akashingo
NPC
279 Posts
Ooc —
the earthen woman spoke, though it was easy to tell that the quick, hushed tone was not for the ears of jawahir.
a second body made an appearance. this time the jewel was given a pale figure to examine; cream-coated which contrasted against the deeper browns of the woman. they both appeared irritated.
a sigh hums its way from the fernbed.
at you, my love. the coyote all but purrs from their hiding place.
—and the man, with his curious eyes. tangerine on one side, livid green the other. how wonderful!
careful, quiet steps carried the courtesan around the pair; they did not near the border but drew away from it with some emphasis, as making these beasts angry was not the goal.
well, not one of high priority.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Ruenna was also a creature given to careful and quiet steps, excepting the limp which dragged heavily at every footfall. She approached from behind the guardians, greeting them with grateful nods. Protecting the border was their job, and it was a job they had done well, but Ruenna had a bigger picture in mind. Aliana's assertion that there was "nothing here" for the coyote wasn't the whole truth. 

"Wait, please," Ruenna called out to their visitor, who appeared to be drawing away from the threatening pair of guardians. Rue limped out in front of the intimidating Caldera guardians, very unlikely to appear a threat herself. 

Her voice was calm, composed, and confident. It would be apparent that she possessed some authority here. 

"I have work for you, if that's what you seek," Ruenna offered. She was a well-traveled woman, and this was not the first coyote she had seen that sought out interaction with wolves. They usually wanted a trade, and many of the services they offered were less-than-tasteful, but their network was immense and their methods could occasionally be more effective than those utilized by self-respecting wolves.

Ruenna experiences chronic lower back pain as a result of an accident from over a year ago. She moves with a very obvious, heavy limp.
Daughter of The Bear
158 Posts
Ooc — Dai
Seeing how Azon has fallen inactive, I hope you guys don’t mind if I PP him a bit? Unless you wanna take that role @Ruenna ?I'll DM them on Discord so they know. It'll be nothing big - he'll be there and I’ll walk him out. Aliana can be skippable so I don’t halt up this thread anymore than I have already. Just tag me if one of your characters is talking to her.

A snort left Aliana’s big snout as her eyes squinted at the coyote. Flattery. At least it sounded like it to the Ursine woman, though whether the flattery was genuine or the ‘disarming’ kind escaped her. So she replies the best way she could.

“Flattery of any kind will only get you so far…” Aliana growled before she heard an approaching figure coming up from behind her and her ivory-colored companion and she looked back to see Ruenna, their Regent. She gives a nod back before Ruenna calls the coyote back before they could leave.
She had only known Coyotes that could be either desperate or bold but apparently, this Coyote did ‘work’... Guess it's better than trespassing and stealing food from wolves, less risk of death.

Akashingo
NPC
279 Posts
Ooc —
the larger woman appeared ready to give chase to jawahir. it wasn't until a third body appeared, striding from behind both guards and then out to the open space, that jawahir thought that an exit would be beneficial. they paused as the newcomer spoke, noting how both guardians eased as soon as they sensed this presence - and the voice carried an offer that piqued jawahir's interest.

though ill at ease, jawahir lingered.
what work do you offer? there were many things that jawahir could offer, depending on what the wolf so desired. this was a rare opportunity that they were glad to witness - focused utterly upon the exalted one.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
I think that it will be fine to pp Azon in the background!

"I have two opportunities," Ruenna began. She was not certain of the specialties that might be accessible to the coyote, so she offered two rather different paths. If the coyote allowed, Ruenna would approach so that they could converse out of earshot of the Caldera's guardians. 

"The first: I am seeking intelligence about a pack-- perhaps a former pack-- called Diaspora. Information concerning their whereabouts, or the location of either of the leaders, Stigmata or Mahler, would be rewarded." Ruenna had heard absolutely nothing about her former pack since her return to the Teekons, but she would rest easier knowing that they were truly gone. 

"And the second.." Ruenna gestured over her shoulder. "My back pain. If you could find me any solution, any sort of cure for this limp... I would be enthusiastic to try it." Ruenna inhaled, then let her breath out slowly. She had tried all the usual therapies and medicines available to wolves, and she was starting to think it was time to branch out. 

"I can meet you in the Bramblepoint woods north of the Caldera, on the first new moon after the autumn equinox, if that sounds manageable for you." Three months should be enough time for the coyote to come up with something.

Ruenna experiences chronic lower back pain as a result of an accident from over a year ago. She moves with a very obvious, heavy limp.
Akashingo
NPC
279 Posts
Ooc —
the coyote listened.
diaspora. a wolf called mahler. a cure for the pain which crippled the woman.
jawahir gave a single nod. i will look for these things. they did not ask after payment, or for elaboration upon this reward. an individual in agony would give much to be free of it.
a nod, and then they became a silhouette, elegant and retreating from the caldera and its inviting inhabitants.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
The coyote accepted these tasks with a brief reply, all the while melting away into the underbrush. "Thank you," Ruenna spoke, although by the time she had the words out she couldn't even tell if her errand-runner was still present to hear them. 

A small shiver ran down her spine; coyotes really were such unnatural-seeming creatures! After a long moment, Ruenna turned to rejoin Aliana and Azon. 

"You both did well," she reassured them. "You are absolutely right," she added, speaking towards Aliana, "Coyotes have no business sniffing around pack territory." She hesitated, knowing that she would need to provide some explanation of her behavior, lest she become the subject of pack gossip. It was a fate she was probably already too late to avoid. "My business with the coyote was personal, not pack-related. He should not be coming near the Caldera again." 

Ruenna had heard some whispers of packs within the Teekons that were sympathetic towards coyotes, even going so far as to accept coywolves as members. Under her leadership, the Caldera would never be such a pack. Ruenna was open minded to a great many things, but there was a line, and this was where she drew it. 

With a nod of finality, Ruenna shuffled off. She probably should have lingered a little longer to answer any further questions her guardians might have had for her, but honestly, she just didn't have the bandwidth for questions. Shame was already creeping into her heart around the edges-- shame that she had stooped to request help from such a distasteful source, but also shame that her requests had revealed her struggle with the mental and physical scars of her past. They were her burdens, and she should be able to carry them on her own. What a unfortunate moment of weakness!