Dragoncrest Cliffs i would much prefer to see the lovely
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
All Welcome 
gulls, wheeling overhead.
a mother's voice, calling for her young and musical daughter.
gone too long, and in the way of all the dahomey-rivaini sons and daughters to come before them.
all save regin. nieve. clementine.
erzulie pressed on as afternoon sun began to warm the sands.
[Image: F0ZZHqZ.png]
899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
the call sends an unexpected lump rising in her throat—

had her mother called for her this way?

Avicus lingers at the periphery, only approaching when the mournful song faded away. she breaks into a slow, ambling trot across the sand, tattered tongue lolling. 

it is far too hot, and has been for some time. she feels some sympathy for the wolves with thicker coats and heavier bodies than hers; they must truly be suffering.

she chuffs at the woman, falling into step beside her. a silent patrol partner, never offering the first word.
but see, amid the mimic rout,
a crawling shape intrude —
a blood-red thing that writhes from out
the scenic solitude
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
the nameless, wordless girl. where chacal's silence had eventually turned to singing, erzulie felt that the injury to the crimson girl's mouth might be permanent. still, she had the pragmatic hopes of a skilled medic. and even if she was correct in this, the world of their kind did not require speaking.
onward the harlot pressed, stopping to scent at a single strewn piece of browning seaweed, nosing it over to expose tiny crustaceans that milled to and fro. no tracks to be found here, only the eternal wonder of the sands.
she called for chacal again.
899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
nothing to be found for Erzulie, at least, but Avicus marvels at the creatures revealed by the leader's prodding. she snips at the crabs; they snip back, and after a pinch to the muzzle that sends her reeling back, hissing, she abandons that cause and follows after Erzulie, ears cupped at the howl.

who? she asks, pitching her voice over the waves.

the sand is soft and wet under her paws, and the air smells of brine and dead things. she knows there's fish in the ocean. she's seen them jumping, writhing in the shallows. every so often, she sees a big shape against the horizon, cresting, only to fall.

but she fixes her eyes upon this earthly woman instead, brows knitted in silent question.
the scenic solitude
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
"my daughter." erzulie's green-gold look moved to the one who had suddenly come up to join her. the wordless child of the sea. like a siren she was, without the malicious fire which often motivated the sea-folk.
but someone had scarred her. and someone had muted her. 
erzulie too wore the weals of conflict beneath her spiced pelt, and she was curious.
"my children be leavin' de nes' early," the obsidian said by way of explanation, her eyes growing tight with pain as she went on to search.
899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
her breath leaves her in a melodious sigh that she hopes—or doesn't?—Erzulie does not hear. but it's loud, nonetheless, and carries. she mouths the word, but it's garbled; fitting, isn't it. . . a daughter unable to voice her own title.

it's as if she's no daughter at all.

i hyeff' ear-yee, Avicus garbles, staring out at the waves. noh' my faul'. buh. . . i hhleff.

she has come to a halt, no matter how far Erzulie has traveled. her paws sink into the damp sand, this strange sensation of cool and warm beneath her paws. she steps forward, into the surf.

lets it roll over her paws.

you mihh 'em, she continues. i mihh' my maa.
the scenic solitude
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
it was not hard to parse avicus' garbled speech as long as one was patient. erzulie cast a sidelong look to her charge at the sigh.
the cinnamon woman too waded into the shallows, breathing out an audible sigh of satisfaction. "maybe it be de way of some children. what is best for de mot'er perhaps not always best for de daughter."
i miss my mom
tears suddenly stung the waterline of the obsidian's eyes. "what made you leave?" the woman asked, hushed as they both looked out to sea.
899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
she allows herself to draw close to Erzulie, hunkering against—or what they could pretend to be—the cold cut of sea wind. she breathes deep, taking in the salt. braced against the breeze, shoulders slightly shaking, holding back imminent tears.

my broh-yer, she answers simply. no'hhin foh' me theh'.

it's the way of wolf packs. at least to anyone writing about them. to Avicus, it had been a life-altering consequence, and she stood here now, in a different clan—family—geography—

too much.

she has always been princess. with her demotion. . .what now?
the scenic solitude
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
a brother.
erzulie went blindly into her first assumption. "ma fille, every woman in de worl' has de misfortune of knowin' de anger da come from being born second to a man." she turned her eyes upon avicus, lodging their shoulders closer in affection and faux conspiracy. "dat be why dey have no power here."
"sapphique has always been a place of mot'ers an' daughters." her sons had never stayed. perhaps it would be different for sobo and loko.
899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
interesting, that. she'd never perceived any inferiority to Aventus until she had challenged him. but it had been clear whose side her parents had took, and so perhaps. . . maybe it was destined to be so. she drinks in Erzulie's words, eyes solemn.

then a half-wicked smile slashes wide her muzzle.

no Aventus. no men. just mothers, daughters. strong, fierce women. it is the first time she's ever felt at home here.

goodh, Avicus replies, undeniably pleased. she returns the slight embrace, then pulls away; she's never been a very touchy wolf except with her dam. but Erzulie has worked her way into the girl's favor, and others here, too.
the scenic solitude
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
it was done then;
erzulie felt the mother-and-daughter locketing as swiftly as she had felt anything else.
chacal and solaire had sought their own fortunes. clementine and arcelia seemed content to exist where they were needed. nieve had disappeared; she had never forgotten it. regin; taken by the sea, and with it a portion of sapphique's heart. marisol, her french-tongued child — gone. reyes had come back but she had not.
coraline and mireille, too young to yet be known as her confidants.
and raleska, too soon one of the first graves upon these sea-cliffs; raleska, who had died so tormented in body and spirit.
releasing avicus, she drew a breath to clear misted eyes. "have you ever tasted de eggs of sea urchins?" she asked with a smirk.
899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
eek! this got lost in my threadlog. sorry!!

she's glad to let the emotional conversation pass by. at the mention of food, she shakes her head, and looks at Erzulie with questioning, slightly hungry eyes.

how we hunhh'? Avicus asks, ever-ready for a challenge.

she's seen eggs before, big and round, cradled in nests made of twigs. they're easy enough snacks, especially if the mother is away. and even if not, a bird plus her unborn young makes a tasty meal.

but she's never heard of a sea urchin. she wonders what kind of bird that is.
the scenic solitude
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
fading!

she grinned.
"come wid me."
erzulie would lead avicus not to a cliff-top but to the shoreline. to the rocks clustered at its edge, just off the beach. the water would not quite reach to their shoulders.
she pointed out the spiky creatures.
showing avicus how to collect one, she would guide them back to firmer footing and show now how to crack open the urchin, until the five sets of tiny yellow-orange eggs were visible.
rich fat filled with the taste of the sea.
erzulie shared a communion with avicus that day.