The Tangle i've been watching your kindness keep a lonely company
Private 
backdated a few days @Hyacinth

he hasn't been able to find raimo since the day he joined sapphique. his scent has faded from the territory, and zephyr has half a mind to say good riddance and leave it at that. but the man had given his word. so the wraith follows his scent past the borders of the coastal pack, thinking that perhaps an extended hunting trip has kept him away. it seems unlikely, but he might as well try.
common || « french »
268 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Though Hyacinth hadn’t fully recovered, he was heading down that path. The sickness that threatened to plague him more than it already did had slowly withdrew its painful claws. The wounds that littered his body did not reopen and bleed as easily too. It’s all thanks to the old woman. Her knowledge in remedies finally jump started the healing process. Her teachings were put into practice during the days that followed.

Now that he wasn’t practically passing out at every moment due to exhaustion, Hyacinth’s head was more clear. He’s back on familiar land, he knew from the sandy beaches. Closer now to the place he once’s called home. Most importantly, closer to his love. Where else would he go but back to Zephyr? Hyacinth had learned a thing or two about scouting back when he was with those pirates. Now all he had to do was find a landmark he recognized and go from there.

This, however, was no place he was familiar with. The terrain was unwelcoming and dangerous. More treacherous than any place he’d ever gone. Despite feeling less dizzy, he found himself stumbling over divots and cliffs.

Then, quite suddenly, his back paws lost their footing, and he slipped over an edge.

Nearly slipped over.

Much to his relief, he managed to entangle his claws into the earth he stood on just moments before. Panic set in soon after. 

Help! he called helplessly. I-I’m gonna fall, someone help!
help!

that single word grips his heart, familiarity registering without conscious thought. he moves toward the source of the cry for help, unthinking, until his gaze lands on a dark figure. the sight sets his heart racing, though he doesn't quite know why. he... can't remember.
but there's no time for memories now. he lunges forward, aiming to snatch the other man's scruff and haul him back toward safety. it doesn't occur to him that this might not be the best course of action, in his current state; no doubt he can pull it off, but if he stopped to consider the aftermath at all, he might think twice. he doesn't.
common || « french »
268 Posts
Ooc — mutton
He stared wide eyed through the gnarled shrubbery and prayed someone would burst through them. But there was no one nearby to hear his pleas. Hyacinth had just escaped death and he found himself in it’s jaws again.

A high pitched whimper came from him as he struggled to pull himself up. No matter how much he tried he just couldn’t seem to get a good enough grip on the ledge. Struggling only made things worse. He could feel himself slipping, and maybe he would’ve fell if had not been for the sudden aid.

Hyacinth barely saw the flash of silver, only felt his teeth grab hold of his nape. He was pulled up and away from the ledge. When he had finished stumbling forward, Hyacinth stood with his back turned from the edge. His legs shook and his breath was heavy.
the backlash is swift and unforgiving. his intended outcome is realized, and the man is saved, but zephyr quickly pays the price for overextending himself in the late stages of his pregnancy. his muscles scream with the effort, and pain lances through his abdomen, forcing him to a crouch as he backs away from the dark wolf. he tries to focus on steadying his breathing. you should... get away from the edge, he manages, strained and unwilling to see his efforts wasted. his gaze fixes on the ground between his paws as he waits for the pain to subside.
common || « french »
268 Posts
Ooc — mutton
He hadn’t even realized he was still so close to the edge until it was pointed out. His heart jumped up his throat as he scrambled away from danger. A hefty, relieved sigh passed through his lips.

Thank you. Hyacinth began to turn. Are you- The question came to an abrupt stop when he finally got a good look at the man who saved him. He’d changed slightly. More tired, bigger than he’d ever been. Despite that, Hyacinth recognized his face in an instant. 

Zephyr-! Tears welled up in his eyes as if his name were a cue. Thoughtlessly, Hyacinth bounded towards him.
nothing gets through to him past the haze, until —
zephyr!
and his thoughts are thrown into confusion. there is recognition, yet a lack; he knows this man, but he does not. his heart aches without knowing why. he flinches slightly from the approach, but he doesn't move, instead looking up to fix wide argent eyes on the dark wolf who is so filled with emotion at their meeting. he feels the ghost of that sentiment, too — but why?
how do you know my name? the words tumble from him unbidden, voice breaking slightly. i don't — i can't remember... it's foggy. pain lances through his skull as he tries to push through the fog, then disperses and softens into a tight, throbbing band over his crown. he remembers nothing... but he recognizes that voice, that scent.
common || « french »
268 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Hyacinth stops short just a few steps away when he sees his partner flinch. His tail that nearly struck each side of his ribs slowed a bit, and even more so when Zephyr spoke.

What? His smile is heavy now. He blinks in confusion. What do you mean? It’s.. it’s me. Phillip? Speaking the name he so desperately tried to hide lately made fear bubble in his gut. But that did not compare to feeling he got when he thought Zephyr had completely forgotten him.
he can see that his lack of memory hurts the other wolf, who identifies himself as phillip as if that should clear up the confusion. frustrated and aching for reasons he can't name, zephyr shakes his head. i'm sorry, he says softly, still straining to remember something, anything past the haze. i... i know you're familiar. i think... he swallows, painfully extracting the skeleton of a memory from the fog. he isn't sure whether it's accurate, whether he can trust it or not, given how desperate he feels to come up with something. but it's his only option. i loved you, didn't i? i — i think something happened to me... i fell... his brow furrows, head pounding now. i don't know. but i think i remember — that you were important to me, before. that much, he's certain of.
common || « french »
268 Posts
Ooc — mutton
He hoped that his name would spark Zephyr’s memory. That every moment they shared together would come flooding back to them. There’s nothing but an apology. Hyacinth’s throat goes dry then, and his tail falls slowly.

Not everything is lost though. There is recognition, though vague. There’s still hope. 

You did, Hyacinth whispered. There’s still hope. His ears perked up then and he took another step forward. And I loved you. I still do.

He took in a shaky breath. We- we met as kids. Near a lake? You said you knew me but I couldn’t remember. Did his sister feel this terrified when she realized Hyacinth didn’t remember her?

And we’ve been together ever since. We stayed at neverwinter for awhile until… u-until— Hyacinth proceeded to indecipherably stutter and trail off and stutter some more until he shook his head.

—Well w-we found eachother again. And we went to blackfeather. You told me you loved me. Said we would be partners for life. And a-and—

He choked on a sob.

Oh Zephyr, what happened? 

He knew he didn’t know the answer, but still desperately wanted an answer.