Grouse Thicket Sun it rises
136 Posts
Ooc — Teo
All Welcome 
Sunlight burst from the mountains. Golden morning light showered across the earth.

The hunter watched quietly from the thicket. Clouds were on the rise and would overtake the sun, Foxfur could see that. It struck him that it would likely be another day of tracking through rainfall. 

Had the masked figure not found the trinkets left behind with the Crow's scent upon them, he might have been frustrated. No, Foxfur found the nearness of his target to bring him motivation and peace of mind. He was tired after days of travel. The elusive reward was just out of reach.
Morningsong
Sage*
1,316 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Coach
he'd been wary to wander this far eastward, but to his surprise, any trace of the saints was faint. he sniffed around to be sure, but. . .nothing. still, he proceeded cautiously, knowing it could be a trap. even with his introduction—

orange within green caught his eye, a fiery flash, and he halted, chin lifting.

who's there? he demanded, puffing himself up to his full size. bones sinking as they may be with age, he still was a formidable creature—and the coloration of the stranger read 'fox,' even if the scent said differently. adi felt confident within himself that he could handle the challenge.

he strode up to the brush, lips curled, hackles raising in imminent challenge.
136 Posts
Ooc — Teo
A bold voice cut through the natural sounds of the thicket. The warrior paused and drew his narrow snout upward, sniffing deeply to bring the scent of wolf – lone wolf – to him. Blinking tiredly, Foxfur set his dusty brown gaze on the approaching shape.

The figure was athletic and sharp in appearance, even if a bit bold in approach. The warrior regarded him with a wary stare and a frown that suggested he was both guarded and mildly unimpressed.

It is I, Foxfur, warrior of the Starsea. I seek a runaway boy who deserted his duty.

Foxfur’s voice was rough, melancholy in tone, and quite tired. The brown of his eyes searched the stranger’s features as his body took a naturally defensive state. I do not wish to fight you, but if you insist it.
Morningsong
Sage*
1,316 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Coach
he let out a breath as the other spoke, shaking his head. i am too old to fight, ladka, he replied, and felt his lips stretching in a wide grin. he pushed his way through the brush to meet the stranger head on, chin gently raised in welcome.

and this boy you seek? aditya asked. what does he look like? i can keep my eyes out for him.

nothing much else to do here. foxfur was one of the only wolves he had seen around here; if they were to find a lost young warrior, this was probably the best place to look.
136 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The warrior’s tense shoulders sagged with relief. The man who had approached claimed to be too old to seek a fight. Foxfur did not wish to retort that warriors did not play by those rules, they fought when needed, they did not hesitate to lay down their lives.

Many thanks to you, the weary figure said, his rough voice cracking softly with the effort of speech. The boy I seek is dark and nimble with golden eyes. He will answer to the name Crowfeather. This information, Foxfur knew, would likely leave his lips a dozen or more times.

The boy’s scent had been there. The seer was in those wilds somewhere.
Morningsong
Sage*
1,316 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Coach
he shook his head. i know no one of that name, sorry, he said softly, eyes filled with empathy for the searcher. he'd been in foxfur's paws many times before, and it never got easier. perhaps that was why he struck out on his own—no one to look for, save himself.

but i will keep my eyes and ears open, aditya promised. there's a pack just southeast of here—

he paused, then, and cast a worried glance at the other wolf. they're not friendly, he warned, lips pulling taut in a frown. be careful. we're probably too close to their hunting grounds as it is. 

no saints scent here, but even so. . .there hadn't been in the place where nyra had attacked him. he fancied that they lurked in the shadows, waiting to strike. they're called the saints, he added helpfully.
136 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The other male was helpful, almost immediately upon finding that Foxfur would not be a threat to him. The warrior listened intently to the information he offered of a pack that was settled near to the area. The Saints was a remarkably peculiar name, but he did not linger upon this for long.

You are most helpful, Foxfur remarked with a small bow of his head.

Are you alone in this area right now? Or do you have a claim of your own?

Two questions that seemed valid. For someone like this male to be left to the wild as a lone wolf when danger lingered so close, it seemed a terrible risk. Foxfur wondered how many other packs existed in those wilds that would pose a threat to any who drew close.
Morningsong
Sage*
1,316 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Coach
alone, with no claim, he confirmed, though it may put him at risk. he didn't think so, though. the young man had an amiable face, and his quest was noble. aditya had never had any trouble from wolves looking for their own. 

he stretched and yawned, turning his head so as not to seem rude by gaping his mouth in the other's face. forgive me, i've been traveling through the night, he said, smiling sheepishly. i think i'll take my rest now.

adi cocked his head to one side. where are you bound next? i've traveled these lands extensively; i may be able to steer you clear of any other dangers—or toward friends. 

if they still existed. packs came and went. who knew if his allies still lived where he thought they did (or at all)?
136 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The warrior nodded his head, a grave expression found its way to his sharp features. He did not wish to imagine the hardships that the wolf faced when alone, and without a clan to return to when the challenges of the day had ceased. Foxfur knew that the life of a loner was not one to be jealous of.

When the friendly man stated that he might be able to assist with information regarding the surrounding terrain, Foxfur’s russet ears stood tall. The warrior nodded his head and glanced toward their immediate surroundings.

It is imperative that I speak with clans in the area, any who might have seen the princeling I’m searching for. I would like to avoid any hostile wolves, if possible. How long have you traveled here? Then, when Foxfur paused, it was with care. The dusty brown color of his eyes shifted to the man’s features thoughtfully. Are you bound as a loner for the rest of your life?