Duskfire Glacier she dances in a ring of fire
242 Posts
Ooc — R/Rachel
Private 
@Meerkat whenever you've got time :) (set a few days after this thread. I don't plan on adding Imaq to that thread since it was supposed to be a Coaching thread w/ Meerkat but I guess to explain why she isn't in that thread, we'll just say Imaq was outside the territory hunting or something like that.)

It had been something straight from her nightmares when Rye returned home with Sikuliak, ragged and limp with pain. Her son still could not speak clearly, rested and recovered in their den while both parents tended his wounds. She had left him there with @Rye (reference), reluctant to leave him even as he dozed fitfully. All the woodlander had said was that he'd come upon the pups brawling.

She went to Meerkat first for answers, wondering how the incident had started. She would need to speak with Tzila and Wintersbane soon enough as well. The mother did not plan to chastise them in any way. While it riled her maternal instincts to see her son in so much pain, she also understood that children were children. Perhaps Siku had started it in someway but Makatza was much older than he, she should not have attacked a baby and hurt him so grievously. It went beyond wrestling for dominance. They would all need to speak of what should be done about their children as a group. Perhaps Meerkat might even be willing to help them navigate this sticky situation.

For now, the she-dog trotted to the Counselor's den -- stopping outside it respectfully and sniffing at the air to confirm that the Redhawk was indeed home before calling out.

"...and all around was the bitter arctic cold and the immense silence of the North..."
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Would it be okay to date this for the 11th? Also, I may wait for that thread to progress a bit more before proceeding with this one but I wanted to go ahead and drop her in here. :)

The temperature had dropped quite a bit last night, so Meerkat had climbed into an old badger sett she'd found. Maybe she would use it as a proper den over the winter, at least when it was too cold to sleep out in the open by herself. There was something dreary about waking up underground, in the close darkness, and when her eyes peeled open this morning, she quickly scooted toward the light streaming into the den's mouth.

"Imaq," she blurted with some surprise at finding the exotic she-wolf standing just outside the door. She looked like she was waiting and Meerkat wondered if she'd called out to her. She hadn't heard it, either because she was half-asleep, half-deaf or probably both. "Good morning," she thought to tack on even as she fought back a yawn and tried to blink the grogginess from her eyes.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
242 Posts
Ooc — R/Rachel
that’s fine with me :)

The shepherd edged back half a step, cerulean gaze widening in surprise when the honeyed she-wolf’s fallow crown popped out of the den — like one of the little northern sparrows that dug burrows. She relaxed just as quickly, laughing softly at her fear. ”Good morning, Meerkat,” she returned easily, making room for her pack mate to climb out of the den, and was grateful that she could say the words fairly well — despite the heavy accent that warped her words.

”Imaq not mean to bother Meerkat. Imaq apologize.” It was not said as elegantly but she managed to get her point across at least. Selkie’s lopped auds fluttered with contrition at her presumption. She decided not to dally, so as not to linger and pester the younger woman.

”Imaq wonder…what happen with Siku and Makatza?” the Iota’s shoulders dipped with her octaves — which had grown light and soft as summer showers. She hoped that her words would not come across as accusatory.
"...and all around was the bitter arctic cold and the immense silence of the North..."
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
"You're not a bother!" Meerkat rushed to assure Imaq, abruptly certain she knew why she was here. The dappled she-wolf confirmed it in the very next breath, questioning Meerkat about the recent altercation.

The yearling's brow furrowed and she licked her lips, motioning for Imaq to make herself comfortable. Meerkat took a seat herself, trying to recollect the moments leading up to the contretemps so she could relay everything she knew to the concerned mother.

"I came across Liak just outside the den and noticed he was hunting a lizard. I was pondering turning it into a lesson when it must've bitten him because he squealed, so I went over to him. Makatza showed up right after that. She was immediately nasty, for lack of a better word," Meerkat said, blowing out a breath, "although I mistakenly believed it was just a play fight, at first." She felt her throat tighten with guilt.

Looking down at her paws, she continued, "As soon as I smelled blood and realized it was serious, I tried to interfere. I wish I'd acted sooner but I didn't know Makatza would behave that way. I'd never seen her before then and didn't have the first idea what she was like..." Meerkat shook her head. "I don't mean to make excuses, though. I'm sorry I didn't act faster."

Just like in the heat of the moment, she wondered where Rye and Imaq had been that day. Meerkat felt responsible for Liak because she had been there when it had happened, though she hadn't been formally tasked with looking after him, nor did she consider herself a sitter. It was easy to blur the lines, yet she was not a caretaker, but a teacher. She wanted to ask, yet she didn't want to accuse or perpetuate guilt. Surely the parents both felt terrible enough about the situation.

"How is Liak?" Meerkat asked.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)