Haunted Wood cold cold cold
15 Posts
Ooc — JT
All Welcome 
Jynx’s relationship with the winter season was complicated. She enjoyed it because it was visually pleasing and she loved snow, but she hated cold temperatures. 

Well, at least I have fur.

At the same time, Jynx was feeling a little lonely, but she was used to this feeling by now. Loneliness was one of the feelings she was most familiar with, if not the feeling she was most familiar with. She had been lonely ever since she left her pack to escape her cruel father. Even while she was in her pack, she had little friends, if any. No one really seemed to be interested in her.

Probably because I’m just some strange nerd.

As Jynx wandered the snow-covered forest, she wondered if perhaps someone would show up, and she could have a friend. Even just a small conversation. Anything would help her.
i don't think you understand
there's nowhere left to turn
walls keep breaking
time is like a leaf in the wind
either it's time well spent
or time i've wasted
don't waste it
an hour of wolves and shattered shields
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
his journey back from the quiet caldera took germanicus through the woodland once more.

it was far too quiet here to ever reach a lasting peace. but he would enjoy the moments while he could. 

for a long while the eagle was left with the sound of his own trek through the snow. he was alone with his own breath. 

alone with his own thoughts.

the distraction of wolfish movement was welcome. the imperator chuffed out a greeting.
15 Posts
Ooc — JT
Jynx was distracted from her own inner thoughts once she heard a chuffing sound in the distance. A tiny bit startled at first, she looked up and noticed that she had company. A bit of relief washed over her, knowing she wasn’t alone, but at the same time, that caused her to feel a little anxious, as she was almost always nervous around unfamiliar individuals.

Well, he doesn’t look threatening. I don’t think I have a reason to be afraid, right?

Being anxious around unthreatening wolves was very burdening for Jynx, as she knew she usually had no reason to be afraid. In fact, she figured the reason why she made very little friends was because she never bothered to try…because she was too afraid.

If I was better at interacting with others, then I’d probably have more friends.

Still feeling a little nervous, Jynx awkwardly looked around before forcing out a very shy “h-hello.”
walls keep breaking
or time i've wasted
don't waste it
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
this new wolf had a breathy voice lost to the sound of snow. germanicus swept his ears forward. the imperator's watchful yellow gaze swept for potential danger.

he saw none. and so his attention turned to the figure. "two of us might catch an easier meal than one." the man's invitation was brusque. he would only extend it once before pressing onward through the eldritch forest.
15 Posts
Ooc — JT
The mention of food was enough to make Jynx’s dark grey ears perk up. She hadn’t had a thing to eat for a while. Hunting as a lone wolf could be incredibly daunting for her sometimes.
I suppose the fact this wolf offered to hunt with him is another reason for me not to be afraid of him. I just have to make sure not to embarrass myself around him now.

In response to the stranger’s offer, Jynx gave a small nod before following after him.

“I suppose I could use someone to hunt with. After all, I am a bit hungry.”
walls keep breaking
or time i've wasted
don't waste it
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
it was decided then. the grey wolf moved to accompany him. the eagle began to search for prey-marks in the crust of the snow.

"i am germanicus," the imperator offered. quiet again. the limp of an elk staggered its tracks. but even crippled, a bull of that species would be too great for two wolves.

more searching brought him the path of a single doe. he was reminded of the last time that he had been here.
15 Posts
Ooc — JT
"I am Germanicus."

Jynx instantly added the stranger's name to her mental catalogue. It was a habit she had. She always felt it was useful to remember anyone's name in case she crossed paths with them again. She also just liked names. They were a beautiful thing to her. 

Jynx figured she would introduce herself as well. 

"Jynx." She said, her voice still slightly quiet, but loud enough to be heard. 

As Jynx followed Germanicus, she kept her blue eyes to the ground, keeping a lookout for any tracks that would lead the two to potential prey. Along the way, the path of a limping bull elk was found, which was dismissed, considering the bull elk would be too difficult to hunt. 

Eventually, the path of a doe was found. Jynx started to feel a small surge of excitement, knowing she would finally be able to satisfy her hunger. Jynx touched her nose to the snowy ground in an attempt to detect the doe's whereabouts. However, she let Germanicus lead the way, considering she wasn't exactly comfortable enough to lead the way yet.
walls keep breaking
or time i've wasted
don't waste it
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
jynx. it was a small name for a small individual. her nervousness was resplendent.

she followed behind him. he did not pause as the scent of their prey grew stronger.

the doe was blinded. she lowed pitifully, head lowered toward the snowy earth. perhaps it had been an infection. perhaps it had been an injury. the loss of one sense would make her unpredictable.

"i will keep her attention. wound her flanks. and stay behind her elbow. she will slice with her hooves given half the chance."

a pause. the silver eagle was off, a growl thrumming in his chest. the deer ran. the wolves must pursue.
15 Posts
Ooc — JT
Eventually, Jynx looked up as she spotted a doe in the distance. 

Finally. Food.

As Jynx observed the doe, she noticed that it was obvious something was wrong with her. The doe appeared to be blind. The doe having an impairment was both an advantage, but also a disadvantage. Considering the doe couldn't see, she was an easier target, but at the same time, this meant the doe was capable of being unpredictable. She still had her hooves, meaning she could use them at any chance, given the opportunity.

Jynx paid close attention to the instructions Germanicus gave her, making sure to keep them in mind. Once the larger wolf took off, Jynx followed after him, knowing it was time for the hunt to begin.

Make sure to stay behind her elbow like he said, otherwise you're putting yourself at risk of injury.

Jynx couldn't imagine what it felt like to get hurt by a deer, but she didn't have time to think about that. Remembering Germanicus' instructions, Jynx leapt for the doe's flank, behind her elbow. As Jynx's fangs pierced the doe, she could taste bitter blood.
walls keep breaking
or time i've wasted
don't waste it
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
the scent of blood pierced the air. 

the doe could not run in the enclosed forest. she bleated and lunged desperately for the imperator.

but she was wounded. and he was swift.

he circled. he let runnels of crimson from a dozen punctures.

eventually she slumped to the red and churned snow. the animal was not yet dead but life ebbed quickly.

the eagle looked at jynx. he sought to see if she was ready to make the kill herself.
15 Posts
Ooc — JT
It seemed like a matter of seconds before the doe sunk to the ground, severely injured. By now, the snow was tinted with blood.

I can't believe it. I think this is my first time actually hunting an animal this big.

A sense of pride washed over Jynx as she gazed at the bloodied, blind doe. Considering Germanicus wasn't making the next move, Jynx figured it was her time to finish off the doe. 

Perhaps this'll be a chance to prove myself to someone, which is something I've always wanted to do.

Jynx headed over to the doe's neck. She sunk her teeth into the neck in an effort to put an end to the doe's life. Before long, the doe made sounds that showed she was struggling as her life was nearing its end, and soon, she was motionless. Jynx removed her blood-stained jaws from the doe's neck, a smile forming on her face. She felt accomplished.
walls keep breaking
or time i've wasted
don't waste it
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus stood back as jynx cut into the flesh of the deer. there was a brief struggle. and then it was over. 

the eagle nodded toward her. "good hunting."

he stepped forward and began to butcher the animal, setting aside the choicer parts for his companion.
15 Posts
Ooc — JT
"Good hunting."

Jynx looked up and spotted an eagle above her. She was curious about what had brought it here. Was it a companion of Germanicus, or was it just some eagle who decided to show up and observe the two wolves?

Shyly, Jynx nodded back and responded with a "thank you", soft and quiet, but audible.

Jynx watched as Germanicus started to tear apart the deer, setting aside some meat for her. At this point, Jynx figured she would try her best to start a conversation, only because she heavily disliked awkward silence, and only because she felt slightly comfortable around the wolf. Jynx was selective with who she was comfortable with. If someone looked the slightest bit intimidating, she was afraid of them until she was able to realize they weren't so bad.

"So...uh...about that eagle. Are they a companion of yours?" Jynx asked, her soft voice still tinged with a bit of nervousness.
walls keep breaking
or time i've wasted
don't waste it
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
he glanced upward.

the bird reminded him starkly, harshly, of crowfeather.

he let out his breath. "only a fellow traveller wishing to share a kill with us."

the imperator stood. he flung a bloodied piece of meat against the snow.

"there. now he will be able to do that."

germanicus returned to the kill. "where do you mean to head after this, jynx?"
15 Posts
Ooc — JT
Jynx slowly nodded in response to what Germanicus said, regarding the eagle. 

"Ah, I see."

She observed as the wolf then tossed some bloodied meat on the snow for the eagle to eat. Being reminded of the food, Jynx took a bite of some of the meat. Her stomach was very satisfied.

"Where do you mean to head after this, Jynx?"

Jynx let out a small sigh, remembering the fact she was a loner with really no designated place to go. She didn't know what a home was at the moment, being she hadn't had one in so long. She never even had a permanent home in the first place. Teekon Wilds was Jynx's current (and most likely permanent) home, but in the sense of a pack kind of home, Jynx never had a permanent one. For now, Jynx was just traveling Teekon Wilds, making camp at random places for a temporary period of time, feeling terribly lonely.

"That's a good question. I...don't really have a designated place I plan on heading to after this. Being a loner is pretty tough sometimes. I just kinda travel wherever, and then settle somewhere for a temporary period of time, before moving somewhere else."

Admittedly, Jynx really wanted a pack. It would contribute to her feeling less lonely, but she was too nervous to ask directly, especially out of fear that her stay in a pack would only be temporary.
walls keep breaking
or time i've wasted
don't waste it
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
the other was nomadic. germanicus sensed behind the sigh that there was more unsaid. jynx did not seem built for this weather or long swathes of loneliness.

the imperator was thoughtful as he chewed. "what skills do you have?" he asked.

she was young but not so young yet that she would not have developed her own strengths.

he thought of tamar.

he thought of the price for her freedom.
15 Posts
Ooc — JT
"What skills do you have?"

Once Germanicus asked that question, Jynx perked up. She also felt a bit of hope. 

Maybe this is my chance to join a pack? Perhaps I won't be so alone anymore, at least for now.

Jynx was thoughtful for a few moments. She had been told before that there was a handful of things she was good at, but she was never sure if that was the truth, or if the compliments were just attempts at trying to make Jynx feel good about herself.

"Hm...well, I suppose a skill of mine is that I'm pretty knowledgeable. I've been able to help others with all of the information I have stored in my mind, even though I don't consider that information that very useful...but if it has helped others, I suppose that information isn't useless."

Jynx pondered again for a few more moments, trying to remember some other things she had been told she was good at.

"I've been told I'd be good for when it comes to actual scouting. I've scouted before, but more for fun. I'm good at finding my way around places as well, I suppose. I've also been told I'm a good hunter and strategic thinker. I consider my brain to be my best friend, so that makes sense."
walls keep breaking
or time i've wasted
don't waste it
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
as she spoke, germanicus thought of mereo and akashingo. sending her to either would have its own set of struggles.

jynx thought highly of mental acuity. with this he agreed silently to himself. strategy and hunting also caught his ear.

he thought quite objectively allowing a young woman among his equally young soldiers. she was soft and had not mentioned fighting as a strength of hers. her prettiness might very well serve mereo with pups when the time came, which he could not abide.

"what is your experience with medicine?" he chose to ask instead, continuing their informal interview.
15 Posts
Ooc — JT
"What is your experience with medicine?"

That question caught Jynx's ear. Although she never was truly a healer, she did have a fascination with medicine. When she was younger, she'd enjoy talking to the healer of the pack she had been in previously about various medicines. She liked learning how they worked. Although she wasn't an actual healer, Jynx's mind would absorb the knowledge she learned about medicines and herbs, so she would end up serving as a "substitute" for the healer. That had been an instance where Jynx's knowledge did come in handy.

"Well, I've never been an actual healer before, but I've always been fascinated by medicines and herbs. When I was younger, I'd often be with the healer of my pack, asking her about how certain medicines and herbs work. Because of the knowledge I had gained, I was actually able to temporarily take the healer's place when she wasn't able to help, in case she was sick for example."

However, Jynx wasn't completely sure if she actually wanted to be a healer. There were some things she couldn't handle, such as extremely serious injuries. She would be able to handle less major injuries, though, as well as illnesses. In Jynx's opinion, though, scouting and hunting were what she felt she was the best at, and better suited for.

"Personally, I'd say my specialties lie best with anything involving hunting and scouting. Although I'm mostly soft-hearted, I tend to be very protective of those I care about, which would include a pack, which means I am capable of putting up a fight if needed, even though I prefer to avoid conflict when possible."
walls keep breaking
or time i've wasted
don't waste it
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus smiled at her pronouncement. it was the passionate answer of the young. "if you do not mean to be alone, i know of two packs who might wish a joiner of skill."

mereo was not among these. he did not believe that jynx would be satisfied with the cold wet mud of the canyon or its cold-faced soldiers. furthermore, they needed a medic. but not one who was reluctant.

"the first is brecheliant. it is tucked into a fen and led by a pair of kind wolves. the second is akashingo. its leadership is not so kind, but i believe a hunter would serve well there."
15 Posts
Ooc — JT
Jynx paused to consider the packs that Germanicus had mentioned. Based on what he had said about the two packs, Jynx figured Brecheliant would most likely be the best match for her, based on how she was. 

"I think Brecheliant would be the best for me." She responded.

Jynx was incredibly grateful for the fact Germanicus was able to suggest packs for Jynx. Really, it meant a lot to her. Without his help, she would probably still be lonely. 

"Thank you, by the way. I'd probably still be alone without your help."
walls keep breaking
or time i've wasted
don't waste it
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"travel south," germanicus told jynx gently. "you will find them."

he stood and pushed away from the carcass. "the pleasure is mine, domina." the yellowpaint eyes were warm. "if you find yourself in the mountains called sunspire, seek mereo. that is where i will be."

he would help her to shelve meat here if she wished. and then he would press on.

the eagle sought many things.
15 Posts
Ooc — JT
I'll archive this thread after your next reply.

Jynx paid close attention to Germanicus' instructions, and a smile formed on her face.

"Thank you. I'll be sure to remember that."

Jynx's gaze shifted back to the carcass.

"Would you mind helping me shelve some meat here in the meantime?"
walls keep breaking
or time i've wasted
don't waste it
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
thanks for the thread! <3

he indeed did this for her.

they would work for some time, and then the eagle would bid jynx farewell.

he set his eyes toward the horizon and moved swiftly.
15 Posts
Ooc — JT
of course!

Eventually, all of the meat had been stashed up, and the eagle gave Jynx a farewell. Jynx said goodbye to Germanicus as he left, feeling very thankful for his help.

Now, time to go looking for this Brecheliant pack Germanicus told me about.
walls keep breaking
or time i've wasted
don't waste it