Duskfire Glacier Tungortok
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
All Welcome 
The days that passed had brought a change in the air, a cold that had settled across the stretch of wilderness and gripped its residents tightly. There were some who were invigorated by this shift in seasons and the scent of autumn fading into winter. It would not take long before snow would blanket the hills and mountains. The sounds of the world would be dampened by the weight of ice.

Issorartuyok had just finished his morning patrol of the borders when he began his search for the scout. The deep brown of his eyes scanned the glacier, settling on the few figures he could see mulling about to tend to their daily tasks. The bustle of the village was enjoyable to hear.

Trotting forward, Issorartuyok wondered if he would find @Meerkat tending to the children. Instinctively, the northerner began to trek in that direction. He greeted any that he passed along the way with a proud smile and a swelling of his chest. The man believed it would be a fine day to practice sparring.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Thanks for starting another for us! I'll archive the older one. :)

She would be lying if Meerkat said she didn't feel a little discouraged by the outcome of her fall festivities a couple weeks back. The cooling weather didn't help much with her mood. She began to feel a little listless as winter crept closer. What if it was as horrible as the last one? She dreaded it.

She also felt a little apprehensive about visiting the caldera. It was time, she knew that. It was past time. She'd missed so much, she knew. She couldn't quite bring herself to feel bad about that because, party notwithstanding, Meerkat had built a wonderful life here. But she worried about what her mom and dad might have to say about her timing. And what if she ran into Bronco?

Chewing at her lower lip, Meerkat padded around the melt water at the foot of the glacier, sighing every now and again. She didn't realize Issorartuyok was nearby and coming closer, her brown eyes skimming over the slight mist lingering just above the lake's surface.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
<3!

There was water ahead of him, he could see the glitter of light shining from the surface, even through the mist.

On the other side was a figure, shrouded slightly by the natural light that surrounded the area. The northerner was not shy about approaching. Once he had drawn near enough, her fragrance met his nose and he smiled warmly. It was pleasing to have found her so soon after thinking about her. Issorartuyok had started to wonder if the spirits were sending him signs, urging him to be closer to the scout of the glacier. The time spent with the beige young woman was always well spent.

Meerkat, Issorartuyok boomed in greeting to her, his bark sounding gruffly across the water. As the northerner drew in to approach, his large paws passed through the lapping lake water on the shore. The chill swept from his lower region to his chest and his skin rose in goosebumps.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
A familiar timbre gently tugged her out of her own head. Meerkat paused in her step, head swinging around until her eyes sought his familiar face coming toward her. Every thought about her upcoming visit home fell out of her head as Issorartuyok closed the distance, her heart suddenly beating a little harder in her chest.

"Hey... Tatkret," she found herself saying without thinking, a teasing glimmer in her brown eyes. Something else flickered there too as she felt a small jolt of jealousy. She couldn't help but wonder about the connection between him and Lane, though Meerkat knew it wasn't really any of her business.

Abruptly, she pulled her eyes away from his face and scanned the misty lake again. She collected her wits a bit—suppressing the little green monster chewing at the lining of her stomach—and then brought her attention back to Issorartuyok to add, "What're you up to today?"
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The large male was unbothered by her introduction. Tatkret was a much easier moniker for wolves who did not speak the northerner’s tongue. It had not been the first time he had offered it instead of his preferred name, but he was rather interested to know how Meerkat had found it out. Issorartuyok did not recall how Lane had referred to him, nor did he remember how Meerkat had reacted to it. The commotion of the young scout’s gathering had been enough to fill his mind. The chaotic nature of the child that had been there – the one who had been aggressive toward the other pups – was all that he had thought about.

I was looking for you, Issorartuyok answered her with an easy smile.

You said that you wished to visit your mother. I wish to plan this with you, the large male continued, his deep voice filled the space between them. I should like to visit the village of Moonglow on our journey back. Do you believe we can do this?
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Her heart fluttered and her next breath shook from her mouth. Meerkat drew in another, steadying herself and her silly reactions, though she couldn't help but return his easy smile. She also couldn't quite silence the bubble of hope and wonder that swelled in her chest. She couldn't deny she was developing some feelings for Issorartuyok, though she wouldn't act on them unless she knew they were mutual. Was there any possibility he might feel the same way toward her?

Meerkat couldn't tell, so she let it rest. She nodded when he brought up the visit to the caldera, going still when he mentioned dropping by Moonglow at the same time. She drew up the rough map in her mind, eyes closing momentarily as she focused. Her lips pursed and she hummed a moment before her eyes popped open again.

"It might actually make more sense to drop by Moonglow on the way there, since it's north of the caldera," the yearling suggested. She was eager to see her family but there was part of her that still dreaded it too, so she said, "Either way, I wouldn't mind." It would be good to see Kukutux and Sialuk, see how they were faring these days. And it would mean even more time spent in Issorartuyok's company.

"I was thinking of leaving in about a week. Would that work for you?" she wondered, tail swaying.
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The northerner watched as her face turned, thoughtful with pursed lips. When the young scout spoke again, it was to suggest that they stop at Moonglow on their way to her mother’s village. While the large male did not want to hurry their time visiting the moonwoman and her people, he thought it was perfectly reasonable for the glacier scout to suggest a more reliable course.

Meerkat stated that she wished to leave in a week or so. Issorartuyok nodded his head solemnly in response to this. Yes, a week will be plenty of time to prepare for our journey. The very idea of trekking across unknown wilderness in search of these villages was grounding for the northern wolf. He was pleased to feel a familiar thrum of longing, a need to explore. There was a great deal of pleasure knowing that he would finally have the young, speckled scout at his side.

We must inform the village leader here, yes? Tell him that we will not guard the glacier while we journey, Issorartuyok stated thoughtfully. His brown eyes lifted from Meerkat and searched the glacial terrain around them. In that moment, he realized that he had not seen the man called Wintersbane since his acceptance into the village. Issorartuyok wondered if this was a bad omen.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
"Yeah," she agreed when he brought up telling Wintersbane about their plans, "I'll make sure he knows when we intend to leave and when he can expect us back. I figure it'll take a week, maybe two if we really dawdle?" Meerkat gave him a cheeky smile, wondering: would he like to draw it out a bit?

"It'll be good to see them," she mused aloud a moment later, eyes fetching over the lake again, then tracking back to Issorartuyok. "It's been months. I've been so reluctant to leave since I got here... but it's definitely time. I actually feel like I could use a break from coaching. I feel like I started strong but now I'm flailing a bit, especially with Makatza..."
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Meerkat was a responsible member of the village, or so the northerner noted. She was quick to agree that they should inform their leader, offering to take the message to him with an expected return date. There was a wry smile that hung on her lips as she suggested the journey should take them no more than a week if they hurried and two if they took their time. Issorartuyok grinned happily, a chuckle bubbled up from his throat to meet her. Let us enjoy the journey. It will be nice to learn from the village’s most skilled scout, he answered her with a small nod.

It seemed that the prospect of visiting her family carried a strange mixture of emotions. The northerner glanced toward the scout with concern upon his features, a knit brow and a small frown. There was a heavy weight that sat about Meerkat’s frame, even Issorartuyok could see it. At the mention of her coaching duties, he lifted his head and blinked.

How might I assist you? Perhaps Makatza needs only a stern guide. It is difficult to train warriors to be honorable when they are filled with a desire to prove themselves, the large male attempted to console.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Although she appreciated his interest and willingness to help her address the matter, Meerkat sighed lightly and shook her head. "I'm not sure what she needs and, honestly..." She trailed off with a pursed lip, which she began to nibble. "I'm out of my depth with her. I've definitely dealt with squabbles between pups. But Makatza, she's..." Again, she didn't finish her sentence. Meerkat didn't know how to tactfully express her opinions on the child.

She remained pensively quiet for a moment longer before shaking her head again and saying, "Her parents need to address these issues, I think. I want to help but I'm just not experienced enough to handle someone like Makatza." Meerkat was certainly learning, mostly that she didn't have the first clue what to do with a child as evil problematic as the glacier's "princess."

"Anyway, I'd rather not dwell on it right now. I'd rather talk about our trip. Are you ready to meet the infamous Towhee Redhawk?" Meerkat quipped.
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Issorartuyok did not wish to push the matter of the aggressive child. It was not his area of expertise, and while he admired the fact that Meerkat was candid about her own strengths, he knew that it was not his place to urge her forward or backward.

At the mention of the woman Towhee, Issorartuyok smiled easily. It was nice to know that they would be accomplishing something that would bring peace to the glacial scout, something that would carry her closer to her family. Though he had always been rather independent, the northerner could not help but to reminisce over his own kin. He missed their smiling faces and their familiar ways. Though it was fanciful, he could not help but to entertain the idea of Meerkat meeting them.

I will bring honor to you, for her. You can expect nothing but the best from this one, Issorartuyok assured her proudly, lifting his head high and smiling down at the speckled young woman. After a moment, he lowered his large skull and chuckled softly – a rumbling noise filled his chest and throat.

I would also accept any tips you might have for first impressions.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Until he spoke about bringing honor to her, Meerkat hadn't realized she would essentially be bringing Issorartuyok home to meet the parents. She felt spangling all over her body as she shifted from foot to foot. Of course, it wasn't like that. Her head and her heart really wanted to gossip about it but, fortunately, he distracted her with a question.

A broad smile crept over her face. "I know it goes against the usual etiquette, but look her in the face when you speak to her. It's so she can read your lips. She's deaf." Meerkat's eyes crinkled with fondness. "If you want, I could show you a couple ways to greet her in ptero, which is our family's sign language. I bet that'd delight the hell out of her," the yearling said with a light laugh.
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The large northern wolf could not help but notice the fondness that swept over Meerkat’s frame when she spoke of her mother. It softened him, bringing memories of his home to the surface of his mind. The chilly mornings they had spent hunting together had been some of his favorite times, sacred moments when he felt he was the only child beneath her wing. It was vital that Issorartuyok showed Meerkat that he wished to be respectful – it was important to him that she knew how much he believed this journey meant.

Please, I should like to make a strong effort.

The man’s dark brown eyes were intent upon her. He leaned forward so that he would not miss a single thing Meerkat would share.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She smiled at his enthusiasm, then patiently demonstrated several different signs for "hello," "hey there," "what's up?" and so on and so forth. He could take his pick when the time came, use whichever one felt most suited to the situation.

As she showed Issorartuyok these signs, which were rather universal, it occurred to her that she was more than a little rusty. The movements didn't come as naturally and Meerkat realized—not without a sinking sensation in her stomach—that not only did it take much more effort to construct even a simple phrase, she'd also forgotten some words entirely.

Her jaw tightened as she felt a lick of shame in her belly. Meerkat had fallen out of the habit long before leaving the caldera, she knew, but she really hadn't realized she could actually lose the language if she didn't stay in practice. She made a note to brush up with her mom when she had the chance, then get back to using it more. Maybe she could teach the pups here, even though they didn't actually need it.

"Wow, sorry," she blurted after several moment's silence, "I got lost in my thoughts there for a minute." Meerkat shot her companion a sheepish smile of apology. "Anyway, I'm hoping you'll get to meet some of the others too. My family's pretty bigly." She was most excited to reunite with her parents and siblings. She wondered if Phox had made it home with the kids. She'd find out soon.

"Maybe we should go find Wintersbane now, let him know?" she suggested in the next breath, eyes gently probing Issorartuyok's face.
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Issorartuyok paid close attention to the movements that she showed, and he mirrored them as well as he could, for a large wolf who had never used such movements to speak. The northerner wished for Meerkat to know that he took her offer seriously. The romantic implications were somewhat lost on him, but that did not matter in the moment. He was touched by her candid nature, pleased to have found a friend in the village he had pledged himself to, and he found the scout to be a charming individual.

The future could change many things, including how a man might feel.

I think you should speak for us both. You have a better way with words, Issorartuyok said, a smile forming on the edge of his lips. The northerner would happily follow her to speak with Wintersbane, would nod his head cheerily at the news that they would travel together across the mountains and into the unknown. It was the happiest he had felt since he’d left his home.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
I figure I'd fade this, then I'd love another once the emergency meeting is sorted. :)

It was such a simple thing, yet her cheeks warmed at his compliment. She was an ambassador, after all, so knowing that someone thought she spoke articulately and civilly meant a great deal to her.

"Okay," she demurred, "but you're coming with." Meerkat couldn't resist the urge to reach out and poke him playfully, her toe tingling where it touched him. She gave him a winsome smile, then turned to begin the search for their leader.
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The northerner bowed his head in agreement.

Of course, he answered, voice tinged with the smile that lingered on his lips. The touch of her paw against him brought a chuckle rising from the man’s chest. Issorartuyok found that he enjoyed his time with the scout. Their journey across the mountain, to Moonglow, to Redhawk Caldera, would allow for the man to know her on a deeper level.

Issorartuyok could not help but think that the spirits had great plans for him. So, he followed the speckled scout and laughed at the things she said, pleased to have the company.

Oh, yes! I'll make one as soon as it's sorted. ^^<3