Dragoncrest Cliffs pay no mind to the rabble
21 Posts
Ooc —
Joining 
It had been weeks since the night Hollis had found the sick woman in the tangle. Once Haunt was in the care of the others who arrived soon after, Hollis had disappeared back into the grotto. It was there she remained, convinced she could take care of herself through the winter in such an environment as the grotto, a place so alive and thriving. She believed herself immune to loneliness too; she did not need anyone but herself.

The overconfidence of youth carried her through many days, and it was that same naïveté that would eventually bring her to the borders of Sapphique, humbled and starving. The dead of winter was still weeks away and yet she had barely lasted to the end of autumn. 

She did know better than to cross the borders, stopping just shy of them before singing to the sky. Her howl was urgent, carrying almost a whine to it; she had never been this hungry before. Fortunately, the honeyed-cocoa girl was still in good health, having just begun to lose some of the lean muscle that clung to her petite frame. 

Hollis sat on her haunches, and then lowered herself further to her belly, resting her head between her paws and emitting a soft huff.
Sun Mote Copse
Laird*
933 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Historian
Advisor
Therapist
The cold air bit at Njord’s nose. Waves of small rainstorms had dropped the remaining leaves from their trees and left them bare. Soon enough, however, it would be snow falling from the sky. It had been a year since joining Sapphique, and Njord knew his family would be safe nestled among the cliffside. Yet, winter often had terrible dangers… and he prayed a bear did not wander into their territory again this season.

He dropped off a small mouse for @Heiðr at the healer’s den. Her condition was improving by the day, though she was still in terrible shape. Suddenly, he heard a call at their borders – a pang in their voice.

Njord picked up his pace to meet them where they laid waiting. At first, the dark coat made him think of Angler… but this wolf was leaner, features more delicate. Her rose colored eyes reminded him of the charmed stone Kukutux had bestowed. He didn’t recognize them as the wolf who had discovered Haunt – they had disappeared into the forest too quickly.

“You ‘av found Sapphique an’ I am Njord,” he said with a swish of his red tail. “What do ya seek?” They had recently entertained Rosalyn and Erzulie’s families at the borders. Was this another relative? Or perhaps an emissary from another pack? Njord kept his guard up... thoughts of war in the South sat at the back of his mind.
Members of Sun Mote Copse are welcome to join all threads and power-play Njord (excepting injury or death) for cohesion and continuity, whether or not he's an active participant in a thread. Just tag me!

21 Posts
Ooc —
Sorry this took so long!

Hollis took several breaths of the cool, brine-scented air, trying to settle herself by listening to the sea breeze as it rustled the naked trees. Soon her nerves were eased by this cold wind; and this was good timing. A wolf approached, large and strong. It had been a while since she had seen the stranger last, and she may not have recognized him but for the shock of red fur covering his tail. This was the one who had come for the sick white wolf.

Nervously, Hollis took to her feet, her tail and ears lowered. With a glance she searched his cool blue eyes for recognition, but found none there. How could there be, with how quickly she had run from the scene in the Tangle.

"Hello," the young wolf spoke, gathering strength to her voice as best she could. "My name is Hollis. I have come to ask if I could... stay here in Sapphique. If just for the winter." She added this quickly. To ask for permanent residence right away seemed like too much. "I am a decent fisher and hunter, but it wasn't enough on its own. I'm terribly hungry."
Sun Mote Copse
Laird*
933 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Historian
Advisor
Therapist
Njord studied the loner as she spoke and saw no deception in her glassy, rose-colored eyes. The weather had already turned hostile as winter’s bite arrived. It would test the wolves of Teekon… the seafarer had lived through it once in these lands and he knew it would be nigh impossible to endure alone. She was smart to seek refuge with Sapphique.

However, the man inwardly disapproved of her suggestion of a seasonal stay. So many had passed through their borders – coming and going. Leaving for this or that. Or dying. Many died.

“’Ollis, it is nice ta meet ya,” he replied as his expression softened. He tipped his head to call for @Rosalyn and @Erzulie.

He turned back to the woman and spoke as they waited.

“We could always use more hunters as tha snow comes.” They had hungry mouths to feed and the large game of the taiga would be easier to catch in a group. “Are ya much of a teacher?” he asked, an idea striking him. “We ‘av young ones comin’ into their first winter an’ we’ll need ‘elp showin’ them tha way.”
Members of Sun Mote Copse are welcome to join all threads and power-play Njord (excepting injury or death) for cohesion and continuity, whether or not he's an active participant in a thread. Just tag me!

1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
erzulie had found the seaglass beneath the cold expanse of the winter sky.
many pieces of it glittered just along the edge of the waves. a particularly large portion reflected the woman's reflection back at her and for the first time she saw herself quite clearly.
the obsidian stared dismally into the saltmirror and observed how she had aged. lines along her mouth. a more reticent look to her face. how she had never been able to grow comfortable in rich flesh, but had remained spare and corded, as if the ocean itself had molded her into a sinewy slate of driftwood.
each hair of hers coated in salt. the ocean clung in all ways to erzulie.
she pulled herself away from the cursed thing. 
she had never seen any difference in rosalyn's gaze.
nor njord's.
and the obsidian wondered when she had become so vain. 
it was with this new and shaken awareness that she arrived to his call. her two-toned eyes were warm upon him, and fond. she turned them upon a creature of loamy confection, almost anguishing in her beauty, with a pair of blushed eyes; all of her, quite arresting in erzulie's heightened and loathsome state.
taking control of herself, she stepped to njord's side. she had come up upon his talk of winter. wolves who joined in winter were not ones she expected to stay through. and yet she had been surprised before.
she was silent, waiting for words other than her own. the inside of her skull pounded so powerfully.
[Image: F0ZZHqZ.png]
21 Posts
Ooc —
Hollis caught no indication of the man's concerns. in fact, he did not seem to want any further information from her, indicated by his call for leadership. when he continued, it seemed little more than a natural continuation of the conversation they had been having.

she could scarcely help her ears from lowering slightly when he mentioned that there were pups who needed teaching. hollis was too impatient a young wolf to bother with coaching an adult on any subject, let alone a pup. children were sweet, but so needy and so loud. 

desperate as she was to gain sanctuary from the cold and the hunger, she opted to lie. "Yes," she chirped softly, forcing a smile. "i'd be happy to help them learn. Anything I can do."

mercifully, the conversation ended when a third approached. though she bore some physical characteristics which challenged hollis' assumption that the woman was another pure-blooded wolf, these inconsistencies did nothing to detract from her beauty; it was radiant and commanding. Hollis shrunk reflexively, and there was a glint of fear in her rosy eyes.

"Hello, miss," she spoke, bowing her muzzle a little. "I was just talking to Njord about joining Sapphique. If not permanently, then just for the winter. I will hunt for you."
Sun Mote Copse
Laird*
933 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Historian
Advisor
Therapist
He could see Holliss ears fall, but Njord assumed it was only because she was a shrinking violet – not because she had zero interest in becoming a coach to the kids. She said she would do anything to help, and Njord believed her.

Erzulie arrived at Njord side and evaluated the stranger, who explained her situation. “’Er name is Hollis,” Njord introduced. He turned to the lone wolf then, “’An this is Erzulie, one of tha alphas ‘ere.” He said nothing more. The golden captain would have the final say.

1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
the beauty spoke. erzulie found herself in appreciation of the honesty and the upfront offer. "hunters are what we be needin'," she said in answer. "i imagine wid de snow we may have to hunt fur'ter inland. your skills would be wort'while there."
njord seemed approving.
erzulie chose to extend her quizzing no further. "everyone in sapphique learns to fish food from de sea. i will show you when you have settled."
she fought to remain tangible, not as aloof as she wished in the moment. "do you be havin' questions for me, hollis?"
21 Posts
Ooc —
she failed to realize that she had forgotten to introduce herself to the woman until Njord did it for her. she gave a small, assenting smile, but said nothing, waiting for the umber-furred leader to make her decision. when she did, relief washed over Hollis like the water of a warm spring. 

Thank you, Erzulie, she spoke, her tail swaying even as it hung between her heels. I don't have any questions at the moment... I am sure I will at some point, though. she felt a bit too wound up to think clearly about practical matters. instead, she fell quiet again, her gaze flickering from the male to the female as she waited to follow them into Sapphique.
Sun Mote Copse
Laird*
933 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Historian
Advisor
Therapist
Erzulie gave her approval. It would be good to have another hunter in the pack. Njord smiled. “I will show ya round Dragoncrest,” he said, gesturing their new cohort to follow. “An’ we can get ya somethin’ from tha cache ta tie ya over ‘till we ‘av a hunt,” he added, knowing the woman was hungry.

After they departed, Njord would show Hollis all the sub-territories and the dens: from the Roja’s place ,to where their graveyard sat at the edge of the cliffs, and everywhere in-between. He would also be sure to tell her the name of the wolves in their pack, as well as a description of each should she meet them. Then, he would leave her be to explore on her own a choose a den for herself.

1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
erzulie watched them go, but only for a moment. 
her own steps would take her to their private beach, and there she would swim in the softer currents and think of the year to come.
the obsidian, alone once more with the thoughts she did not wish to have.