Snowforest Taiga contagion
Wild Fauna
Shared Account
105 Posts
Ooc —
Random Event 
with winter’s chill brought the looming threat of death. it was common knowledge amongst the hooved beasts that roamed the wilds. they’d do the best they could to prepare for it. though this year they could do very little.

death swept through this herd slowly and silently. just months ago they blissfully grazed, filling their bellies with the last of spring’s spoils. then one by one they grew ill. one by one they were drained of strength. and one by one death took them.

another would fall today. a white-tailed doe. skin clung to bone. she could barely eat, hardly walk. she dragged herself at the back of the herd until the last of her senses left her and she could follow no more. the doe circled aimlessly through the flatland, more sluggish with every step. eventually she would collapse — and die there, if no predators came to take her away in pieces.

chronic wasting disease has started to spread among the deer, elk, and moose of snowforest taiga.

”in infected animals, cwd starts with a single abnormal protein called a prion, which causes lesions or holes in the animal’s brain, making the cerebellum and cortex resemble a sponge. the lesions cause tremors, chronic weight loss, and confused behavior, such as walking in circles or stumbling.”

written by the shadow
206 Posts
Ooc — Mai
OOC: Discovery by Ensio and Veteran. Powerplay of referencing Veteran with Ensio given by Zoo.

The ice and silver boy huffed forcibly, his steps heavy as he trudged along with @Veteran at his side. Together they had gone off on their own, outside of the protective boundary of the Glacier. Not to run off brazenly. And certainly not to go and find Makatza, his brat of a sister. In fact, if Ensio ever saw her again, he would promptly chase her off.

"...and like I was saying, she's a hellion! A psychopath. Can't be trusted. It would've only been a matter of time until she tore the pack apart!" He clacked his jaws, venting his still raw anger. He was close to Veteran. Protective, even. Their mothers may be different, but they shared a common father in Wintersbane. The difference in the bloodline on their maternal side was inconsequential to the boy. "I was sick and tired of watching from the side lines while she ripped everyone up and got away with it. I wasn't gonna stand for it anymore."

The cut on his ear was healing. It was no longer painful, and even when it had been, Ensio had shown no indication that it bothered him. In time it may scar over, or he may be left with a permeant nick there. Which was fine with him. A nice reminder of his resolve to come battering down on Makatza, whenever their paths crossed. 

He stopped abruptly, possibly causing Veteran to bump into him. He crinkled his nose at the smell. "Ewgh! Do you smell that?! It's worse than any bad meat I've come across!" He crept forward again, slowly. Instinctively cautious. Around a bend he spotted her. The form of the sickly doe, just as she collapsed in a heap of skin and bones. "Oh shit..."
190 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Veteran allowed his brother his rant. Ensio seemed pretty proud of himself for tackling Makatza that one time, talking it up like it was some breakthrough moment where he finally decided to once-and-for-all put his sister in her place. In Veteran's eyes it had been.. just a tackle. And then he yelled at her some, while adults were restraining them both. If Ensio wanted to fancy himself some kind of hero for sneaking in a cheap shot and then yelling some things when there wasn't really any danger of facing serious harm... okay then. Veteran had the scars to show for what it looked like when someone really stood up to Makatza. 

"Well, she still seems to like you. You know, she put your name forward to lead the pack..." Veteran reminded Ensio, teasing. If Ensio had really stuck it to Makatza, would she have done him that kind of favor? 

Their conversation was interrupted as they came upon the wobbling, sickly creature. It did smell bad.. like the animal hadn't been grooming or caring for itself. It collapsed in a trembling heap. "Shit!" Veteran said at the same time as Ensio. 

"If we kill it, does it count as our first deer hunt..?" Veteran questioned. It kind of seemed like cheating if the deer didn't even run...
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The children’s scents had left the glacier and ventured into the wilderness beyond.

Issorartuyok had stood where their smell had faded into the wild aroma of the taiga. He had watched with a stern expression, scanning the distance with the desire to locate the young protectors and will them back home with only thoughts. When he had waited for some time and they had not returned, Issorartuyok had left the glacier behind and had ventured into the world in search of them.

It was fortunate that the young were not so difficult to follow, or so he believed.

When the large northern wolf prowled upon them, he could smell the rancid infection from the trees. The scent made his stomach lurch. There were two of them, including the young protector Veteran. Issorartuyok softened slightly at the sight of the young boy. He imagined that Veteran was only seeking to expand his skills. The northerner had noted the boy’s scent upon the borders, and it made him swell with pride.

Young protectors, what have you found here? he barked softly to them, drawing near.
Don't fear The Darkness
238 Posts
Ooc — Liv
stressed low-muse noises

Eldritch happened to see the two pups traipse off, and dutifully she followed at a distance, close enough to come to the rescue if there was danger, but far enough to give the illusion of total privacy.

As Isso came upon the pups, the void-colored seer padded up beside the Northerner and looked out upon the collapsed herd of caribou.

"It smells of sickness...this could be detrimental for the pack." She murmured to the Alpha with worry.
Eldritch is fluent in Daedric (Valryian) thanks to Aerenys having taught her the language behind the scenes
206 Posts
Ooc — Mai
After blowing off some steam, Ensio was done running his mouth. His demeanor changed, to something much more serious as he observed the frail deer falling to the ground. Veteran's question set off alarm bells in his head. "No..." 

His hackles bristled and he took an instinctive step back. "Something about it...it's all wrong. I don't even think we should go any closer." Behind him emerged the voices of Tatrekt, the new Alpha and Eldritch. "We were out for a little walk. Then I just saw her. Stumbling, circling, acting all weird." He sniffed the air again, sharp glacial eyes darting up to the ebony woman. "So that's what that is. It's worse than anything I've smelt before." He wouldn't admit it, but he was relieved the adults were here. He wouldn't have to waste time rushing back home and trying to explain this chilling warning sign to the pack.
190 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Veteran wasn't sure what was more surprising-- the deer collapsing, or Ensio's weird reaction to it. He wrinkled his nose in confusion. 

"Why are you scared? It's a sick deer. It can't hurt us. I'm gonna go kill it!" He got about two steps before he heard Issorartuyok's voice behind them. He stopped in his tracks and turned around, and his gaze settled on the two adults. 

Aw, geez! So now they were letting him out of the pack borders, but they were going to tail him? He almost liked it better when he wasn't allowed to leave, and then he could just sneak out. Now these adults were going to step in and steal his kill, weren't they? 

Veteran was loosing patience with Ensio's strange fear. If Ensio was scared of deer, he didn't have to be a hunter. But if that was the case, he needed to get out of Veteran's way. 

"It's just skin and bones-- it can't even stand! We need to kill it. It's the kind thing to do! It's probably in pain. We're wolves, it's our job to kill sick deer, so they don't spread the sickness to the rest of the herd." Veteran was almost pleading at this point, looking back and forth between Eldritch and Issorartuyok. He was desperate to get a closer look, and to maybe have a chance at making his first kill.
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The dark figure of Eldritch appeared next. Issorartuyok regarded her with a kind smile, though the troubled expression did not flicker from his features. The scent of illness was strong in the air. It pricked the hackles on the northerner’s body, distressing him physically until he had grown into a bristling bear of a man.

The young protector Veteran was eager to end the animal’s life. He wanted to show that they were being merciful, keeping it from spreading to the other creatures that they hunted. Issorartuyok looked to the young man and frowned thoughtfully. There was a point to be made there. If they killed the deer and chased the others from it, would it spare them? Would it spare all of them the potential of disease? He was not certain.

We cannot be sure, Veteran. If we kill it, even to stop it from spreading, you cannot promise that you would not catch its sickness and carry it with you. I do not want my most promising protector to be devastated the way that animal is, he spoke sternly, motioning to the ill-stricken creature with a troubled nod of his snout. Do not mistake caution for fear. This was meant as a learning experience. He was proud of the boy, wanted him to keep such determination. Issorartuyok needed to be certain Veteran would not be at risk with such a headstrong nature.

Eldritch, we must inform the village. Everyone must be on alert.
Don't fear The Darkness
238 Posts
Ooc — Liv
short post on my end ;v;

Eldritch looked upon Veteran with a sympathetic gaze. She saw his desire to end the animal's suffering, but as Isso spoke his judgement, the Seer nodded firmly with agreement.

"Isso is right. We don't know how easy the sickness could spread to us." She rumbled, perking her ears as the Alpha said the village needed to be alerted.

"I'll go tell Lane. She may call a pack meeting." Eldritch responded, and took off at a fast trot back toward the Glacier.
Eldritch is fluent in Daedric (Valryian) thanks to Aerenys having taught her the language behind the scenes
206 Posts
Ooc — Mai
"I'm not scared." He shot back with a huff. "I'm concerned. Something is telling me to stay away from an animal so sick like that." He corrected. Isso and Eldritch seemed to echo his own reasoning, stating that airing on the side of caution was best. They knew nothing about the illness that plagued this animal. That if consuming the meat would mean becoming infected as well. They needed time to learn and to study this sickness, which was why informing the pack and having them on alert was a sound course of action.

Ensio though, through it all, grew bitter as the adults spoke. Neither one of them addressed or acknowledged him. Credited his cautious instincts. In fact, the new Alpha, who had no rights to the title, seemed focused entirely on Veteran. He was starting to think that none of the other kids, or maybe even his dad, mattered to this man if he was so single mindedly focused. Grumbling, expressing his ire at what appeared to be the circumstances with the prey (but truly with Isso himself), Ensio whipped around harshly and began to make the trek back home on his own, leaving them to catch up.
190 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Scared and concerned sure looked like the same thing, then, as far as Veteran could tell.  Veteran would have told Ensio so, if the adults hadn't arrived.

Eldritch and Issorartuyok took Ensio's side, and no amount of begging would sway them. Veteran's ears flattened in chagrin as Issorartuyok lectured him. He looked down, scuffing a front foot in the snow in frustration. 

"Do not mistake caution for fear," Issorartuyok concluded. 

"I'm sorry I said you were scared," he mumbled dutifully to Ensio, still looking down. He peeked up, and he realized that Ensio had already stalked away. ..What was up his butt? The adults had agreed with him, had't they? What did he have to be angry about? 

Eldritch also departed swiftly, leaving the mentor and mentee standing alone. Veteran turned his azure gaze back to Issorartuyok. "Should we go home too..?" he asked hesitantly.

Teo, feel free to fade and archive!
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Eldritch was swift to agree and volunteered to inform Lane of the sickness. The northern man nodded his head in thanks to her and watched the dark woman disappear back to the glacier.

The boys had shared a few words, but one of them appeared to be upset by something. Issorartuyok watched with concern as the cautionary child became sour, bothered, and then turned to walk back to the pack in a sulking nature. The northerner did not understand what had happened between the children. Ensio had displayed the correct amount of wariness for the unknown disease they had discovered. He had done well and Issorartuyok had hoped he would be pleased that they had agreed not to hunt the sick deer.

When Veteran asked if they should return, Issorartuyok gazed thoughtfully upon the boy.

Let us follow the herd a short ways. We can test your tracking ability. When we have a clearer idea of how many are sick, we can return and you will be able to report to Lane.

Then, the duo set out to follow the scent of illness. Issorartuyok was filled with worry.