Silvertip Mountain Most pitbulls are just three shih tzus wearing a trench coat
6 / 2 THREADS
506 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Tactician
All Welcome 
If you have time! Idk how our current one will pan out but need more awkward bear teens in my life!

The bleeding had already stopped by the time Aventus crossed back into Ursus territory, but he had already decided he was going to see @Arielle about it anyway. If she would have him. It was only a torn nail, after all, hardly worthy of even looking at. It was also an excuse to steal a moment of her time. Aventus only hoped she would not ridicule him for coming to her with such a minor complaint.

The sun was rising when he arrived outside her new medicine den. Not as nice as Evien's old one, he thought. That was just a dumb boy thought though. He had more or less gifted Evien's old home to her. He wondered if she liked it more. Because he gave it to her? Or in spite of that? Or maybe she liked this one more. Maybe she didn't like either of them and especially not Evien's because he had given it to her and then started being all weird. Maybe she was bothered by him. She hadn't seemed bothered by him, but maybe she was just being nice? Maybe she thought he was a terrible friend and wouldn't want to see him, especially so early in the morning. Maybe he should just go?

Giving his head a shake, he glanced down at his blood-soaked toe. Minor complaint, but the reason he wanted to talk to her was a little more important, so he forced his chaotic whirl of thoughts to some other corner of his mind and woofed quietly. Loud enough she might hear if she was awake, but hopefully quiet enough to not wake her if she wasn't.
355 Posts
Ooc — hela
omg always. i love them

Arielle was awake, and she heard the prince's approach from where she worked. If only he knew that he could literally have come here for no reason at all and she would have been happy to see him—maybe then he wouldn't be torturing himself over whether or not she liked him or the den he had offered to her. She did like it; in fact, she spent a good amount of her time there.

She paused her sorting of dead plants when she heard his call outside. She made sure to shake out her coat too, in case there were pieces of herb stuck to her. The healer was quite messy when she worked, but it only seemed to bother her now; she didn't want Aves to see her looking so sloppy. 

She poked her head outside and smiled at him. But then her face fell at the scent of blood. Are you hurt? she asked, worry making her paws tingle and her chest tighten. Aves getting hurt was something she worried about a lot, actually. Her eyes searched him for wounds but she didn't see anything until she caught the blooming of red on his toe. Okay, not serious, but still, the thought of him hurting in any way made her heart ache. Oh, she said. I've done that before, and it hurts pretty bad. Concern still creased the lines of her face. Come inside. I have something that will help. She would wait for him to pass through the entrance before following him in.
6 / 2 THREADS
506 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Tactician
Aventus fidgeted in place. No, no, he should definitely just go. Arielle had way better things to do than nurse some tiny, inconsequential boo-boo on his toe. He was just wasting her time coming here. She had her paws full with Merrick. He knew his father was unhinged and there was no herbal remedy for that, but Arielle was an amazing listener on top of her budding skill as a healer.

His thoughts screeched to an abrupt halt when her face popped out of the den. She was as clean and tidy and fragrant-smelling as ever, but for some reason he imagined her with bedhead and that little smile and it made his stomach do a series of cartwheels. It was a good thing she went right to business, else he might have stood there staring at her for a ridiculous length of time.

Oh, er, yeah, he said, wiggling his toe. The nail was barely hanging on. Stupid rocks. Hit it when I was hunting. This morning. It wasn't entirely a lie, but he absolutely could not admit that he had thrown a little tantrum when he could not find Moonglow's trail past the stream. That wasn't attractive. Not that he cared if she thought he was attractive. Since when did he care what anyone thought? Nope, not him.

It's not that bad, he said, tripping over his own tongue in an abrupt backpedal. She wanted to help him with it, and wanted him to come inside, and now he felt like a big baby for some reason. A big baby whose belly was full of hopping frogs. He hesitated to follow. This was all so horribly confusing. Really, I mean, if you're busy I can just go soak it. In the water. Yeah. It's nothing.
355 Posts
Ooc — hela
She hadn't expected him to hesitate. His torn nail was why he had come, wasn't it? But he was suddenly acting as though it didn't need attention and like his injury could be soothed without her help. It would probably be fine if it healed on its own, but she knew from her own experience it would be much better once the nail was removed and it would heal faster that way, too. Plus, she didn't want him to leave. No, stay. It's okay. I'm not busy, she rushed out. She immediately regretted her words. Now it seemed like she was just laying around being lazy. I mean...well, I was just sorting some of my plants, but I really don't mind helping. She smiled a little awkwardly. 

Come on; it will feel better once I'm done. I promise. This time she turned and disappeared inside, hoping to not really give him another chance to deny her offer.
6 / 2 THREADS
506 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Tactician
Sorting plants? That sounded pretty busy to Aventus. Definitely more important than his dumb toe. Arielle didn't give him much of an opportunity to protest again, though, so he ducked into the den with her, chewing on the inside of his cheek the entire time. He had a reason for being here besides his toe, he just couldn't seem to remember what it was at the moment.

His eyes adjusted quickly to the low light and landed on the little piles of herbs. Arielle was so organized! He had no clue what any of them did, but he could tell the dead ones apart. She must be picking through to separate those from the good ones. That looks like hard work, he said. Delicate work. Like her. She was fierce in her own way, but he was beginning to notice littler things, too, like how easy her smiles came.

He plopped his hindquarters down and lifted his paw for her inspection, still feeling a little like he was just being a big old whiner. I ... I admit I hoped to talk to you about something, too, he said, shooting a little sheepish smile of his own and thumping the floor with his tail. His eyes lacked mirth, though. He was still so angry with himself for Moonglow and Nyra, but it was important that he not let that affect Arielle. It wasn't fair to her.
355 Posts
Ooc — hela
She turned to face him once he was inside, glancing at the the messy pile of dead plants she had made. She shrugged a little. Oh, um, I guess, but I like it. It was like meditation for her; she could focus on the plants and let every other thought fall away. Usually. That would not be the case with Aves in her den, filling the space with his scent so it mingled with the smell of various plants. It was intoxicating. She looked closer at his nail when he offered it to her. It was barely hanging on, which meant he could easily snag it on something and cause more irritation. 

But when he spoke, her eyes lifted and were suddenly glued to the smile that tilted his mouth. His tail waved against the ground, and then she was eager to hear what he had to say. Okay, she offered. You can talk to me about anything. She looked back down at his toe. Also, I need to rip the nail off, and it's not going to feel great. But I'll make quick. She lifted an eyebrow, a silent request for permission.
6 / 2 THREADS
506 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Tactician
Aventus knew Arielle would listen. She was so good at that. She reminded him of his mother in some ways — maybe it was because Astara could not speak, but he always felt he could talk to her and she would listen and understand. He could talk to her about anything, about things he could never tell his father. Arielle gave him the same sensation of being safe with his thoughts.

Nevertheless, he puffed his cheeks out and dawdled for a moment, bobbing his head to acknowledge what Arielle intended to do. Maybe he could just talk through it. He steadied himself, paw still aloft for her, and then began. I've lost track of Nyra. If she was with Moonglow, she is gone now. They all are. The little time he had spent among the moon village wolves had shown him they had their own strength. It was strange to think of them dissolving into nothing. For that reason, Aventus was convinced they had migrated somewhere else, like when Ursus left Bearclaw Valley, but as to where they had gone, he couldn't even begin to guess.

Must have left a few days ago. I haven't the foggiest idea where they could have gone. I do not think the bear will be any help this time. Or any time recently, he thought, but felt it best not to share his doubts about their way of life. He heaved a quiet sigh. I was thinking maybe we could go to Bearclaw Valley for a little while and check in. All of us, I mean. This place is sacred to father but ... so much has gone wrong since we came here, and now he will be angry. I think it might be good to get him away for a little while.

He watched her with careful silver eyes, curious what she thought of his idea. It involved traveling in the worst season of all, and yet Aventus wanted nothing more than to escape the miasma that seemed to hang over Ursus of late. He felt returning to the valley might help.
355 Posts
Ooc — hela
With his permission, she walked over to a small pile of pre-moistened moss. Every morning she would take the moss she had dried overnight and and soak it in the creek. She would also collect more if she saw it. So far, the plant didn't seem to be affected by the cold weather. 

She brought it over and sat back down in front of his lifted paw as he began to speak. Careful to be gentle, she grasped the hanging nail between her incisors and pulled. The nail came off, she dropped it to the ground, and then quickly placed the cool wet moss on his toe. She would let it soak there for a few minutes to soothe the pain and to clean the area. Her expression was apologetic whether or not he expressed any pain. 

He told her that Moonglow was gone, which meant Nyra was gone. Her heart sank at the news. She immediately thought of what Merrick's reaction would be. The prince was correct: he would be angry, and she was not looking forward to it. She worried what it would do to the bear king; he had been so temperamental lately—not that she blamed him.

Aves worried the bear couldn't help them with this problem. The bear doesn't always guide us through tough decisions, she said softly. And sometimes we may not be listening. It was easy for her to get caught up in what all needed to be done; she thought it would be easy to miss the help offered by the bear. 

But his plan was a good one. It was winter, and the journey wouldn't be easy, but it wasn't like any of them were used to easy; life had been anything but lately. I think that's a good idea, Aves, she said. And you're right: maybe that will help soothe some of Merrick's anger when he finds out we no longer know where Nyra is. She inspected his toe for a second before adding: I miss the valley. It would be nice to spend time there. I think we all need it.
6 / 2 THREADS
506 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Tactician
Aventus kept his features carefully smoothed throughout Arielle’s work, even though it stung something fierce when she pulled his claw off. The most he showed was a glitter of pain in his pale eyes, and then she pressed the moss to his toe and it felt instantly better. He didn’t think even Evien could have done it as quickly or cleanly. She was good at her craft and he admired it.

Perhaps she was right and they weren’t listening to what the bear was telling them. Aventus tried his best, but at times, he was as lost as a little lamb in Merrick’s faith. Being raised with it sometimes wasn’t enough. Maybe they were meant to put this whole affair behind them and move on, but how could they do that? The Saints had murdered Astara in cold blood!

I do not think this place is good for us, he shared. This land is sacred. This was where my father first heard the spirit of the bear. Perhaps it is too sacred for us to live here. That may be why things have gone so wrong lately. He was no seer, hardly even a priest of the bear cult. These things were his father’s realm, not Aventus’. Arielle herself probably knew more than he did. He could never tell a soul that for much of his childhood he had pretended to understand and even now he was unsure if he did, but he knew the truth of it.

If they never came her, Astara might yet live. Asperas and Apophis might yet be with them. Bearclaw Valley had known scarcity, but so far the alternative was a lot worse.
355 Posts
Ooc — hela
He kept still while she worked, even though she knew it must be uncomfortable. Aves was strong; she knew this was nothing compared to what he could endure. Still, the thought of him in pain made her chest tighten. 

Once she had soaked the nail long enough, she removed the moss. The area still oozed blood, but that was normal. She was experimenting with a mix of plants to help wounds, and so she walked over to the rock where she had torn them up and mixed them together. Marigold to prevent infection, nettle leaves for pain, and oak leaves to help with bleeding. Arielle scooped a small amount into her mouth and chewed them into a poultice as she sat back down in front of the prince. Using her tongue and lips, she gently molded the mixture around the affected area. Come back tonight and I can clean it and place a new poultice on it; you should be fine after that. She smiled up at him. 

With the bruin-jaw's injury tended, she was able to devote her full focus to the conversation. I never thought if that way before, she said first, concern pulling her eyebrows together. Maybe this place is only meant for rituals and not for living. Maybe the bear is trying to tell us that. Why else would they have such misfortune here. Her face smoothed into smile as admiration filled her expression. You are listening.
6 / 2 THREADS
506 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Tactician
Arielle was only working. That was what Aventus told himself when she began to spread the poultice on his toe. There was nothing intimate in the way she kissed his flesh, but his face burned beneath his pelt and his throat felt tight. When she straightened up and instructed him to return later, it took every ounce of his effort not to look away as if he was ashamed. What little effort remained was used to rein in the compulsion to sweep her off her feet.

Listening. Right. He wasn't doing a very good job of that right now. He was so smitten and preoccupied with his nerves that he comprehended very little of what Arielle said. He opted for vague nodding. Bearclaw Valley was nicer than this mountain, he opined, thinking of the low light of Mosskeep and how lovely she would look in the shadows there.

Giving his head an unconscious shake, he inspected his toe and said, you are very good at this. I will be careful with it until I return this evening. The pain was little more than a dull throb now, a huge improvement already from the sharp stinging of earlier.
355 Posts
Ooc — hela
She was unaware that he hadn't been listening, not even when she praised him, and even more unaware of the nature of his thoughts. If she had known, she might have realized how often they aligned with her own. 

She nodded, her smile changing to something more wistful. I agree, Arielle told him. I would much rather spend the winter there. Up here it would be frigid. The memory of cuddling with the bruin-jaw in the thicket while they were looking for the saints flashed into her mind. If she were able to keep warm with Aves maybe it wouldn't be so bad. Her heart raced and she quickly pushed the thoughts from her mind.

His compliment only made her heart beat even faster. For some reason it meant more coming from Aves than it did anyone else. Her stomach fluttered. Thank you, Aves. The healer looked over her work, glad he would do as she asked. If it needs to be changed sooner, just call for me. As careful as he would be, he still might end up getting the exposed quick dirty before tonight when he was set to return.
6 / 2 THREADS
506 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Tactician
Arielle looked down at her handiwork and Aventus let his eyes rove over her shoulders and the slope of her neck and for once relished the hunger that writhed in his stomach. Even in the water, even in that tiny hollow, he had not paid so much attention to the inviting curvature of her body. What would she feel like below him, he wondered. Certainly not like the coyote had. Stronger. Fiercer. Warmer?

Aventus had to mentally slap himself back to reality when he felt his body reacting to his thoughts. He shifted as subtly as he could, wrapping his tail close to hide anything before she could notice. That was the easy part. Try as he might, he could not chase the hoarseness from his voice when he said, thank you, Arielle. He frantically began to think of his dead mother, willing her memory to put his blood to rest.

This, of course, resulted in a long moment of silence during which Aventus stared down at Arielle while trying his very best to see Astara’s face there. By the time he felt safe to stand, assuming she had not noticed in the first place, the silence had grown awkward. Um. Well, he said with a deep chuckle, I should go and see father. Tell him about Nyra. I will see you tonight?
355 Posts
Ooc — hela
Arielle had no idea anything was going on; she was completely oblivious to the reaction the bruin-jaw's body was having to his thoughts of her; she was completely oblivious to the fact that he even saw her that way. No matter how often her thoughts drifted to him and what it would be like to be his, she would never have guessed he felt the same. If she had been paying enough attention, though, she might have seen the signs; maybe she had but was too afraid to hope they meant what she wanted them to mean. 

The healer was staring pointedly at his injured nail, her face hot. Thankfully, he couldn't read her thoughts. She was so wrapped up in her own stuff that she didn't even realize how awkwardly he stared or how long they went without saying anything. When he spoke, she lifted her gaze and smiled. It's no problem, she offered in return to his thanks. 

His chuckle made her heart leap. Yes, definitely, she said, getting to her own feet. See you tonight. She wished it were for something more than tending his wound, but she would take whatever she would get. At least he would be here again. 

She would watch him leave before turning to clean up the mess and make sure she had enough in the den to treat him later, all the while her heart skipping at the idea that he would be back.
6 / 2 THREADS
506 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Tactician
Tonight, he repeated, lingering just a moment, warring with himself, before he took his leave from the medicine cave. In the chilly air it was easier to center himself and find the strength and courage at last to face Merrick and tell him that Nyra's trail had gone cold.