Coconut Grove remnants of home
8 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
Private 
only ONE participant, please!

Sweeping. Tumbling. Sucking water into lungs. Light, at first, and then darkness. Deep and crushing. 

Kailani had never known water like this.

She awoke somewhere else. Somewhere warm. Somewhere that reminded her of home. At first, she thought she was home. But this place smelled unfamiliar. She sat up, sand clinging to her wet fur, and knew that she was far away. She mourned the loss of her human, who would never find her here. 

But the smell of the coconut trees and the sharp tang of the ocean breeze was so nostalgic that she could not drown in sorrow for long. She picked herself up, shook out her fur, and set out to explore.
115 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
edit: whoops, didn't see the request for only one participant. the tag for Selena can just function as a reference.

Dash was tucked away among the coconut trees, curled up in a nest of sand with half a coconut in clasped in his forepaws. He slurped away at the coconut contendely, wondering idly if @Selena was still nearby. 

At first, he thought the person walking through the grove was the inky yearling herself, coming to join him, however as slivers of sunlight caught the newcomer's ruddy pelt, he surmised that this was someone entirely new. How delightful! He loved new people!

He stood, abandoning his coconut-half in the sand. He let out a light woof, tail and ears lifted on high alert. His stance would come across as keenly interested and playful. She had a rather exotic look about her, so he wasn't sure if she would understand the common-tongue, if he attempted to speak. His intention was to invite her closer for a nonverbal greeting, and perhaps for play if she was up for it.
8 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
Kailani's ears perked at the strange sound of slurping nearby, though her ears did little more than twitch up an inch, floppy as they were. When she made her way through the swaying palm trees, she stopped short at the sight before her. Here was the biggest dog she'd ever seen in her life. And he looked so... feral.

She took a step back, tail tucking against one leg underneath her, quailing in fear.

But then the creature woofed in a friendly manner, and although he stood alert, ears swiveled forward, he looked playful, as opposed to aggressive. 

Kailani stood rooted to the spot, trying to decide what to do. Should she run away, or return this creature's friendly gesture? She sniffed at him from afar, studied his stance a little longer, and decided that his greeting was genuine. With tentative, delicate steps, she moved toward him, setting her tail to a slow wag.

"H-Hello," she said in a small voice.
115 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
"Hello," Dash returned her greeting, delighted to hear that she spoke Common. That would make everything easier, wouldn't it?

She moved toward him tentatively, and as she emerged from the underbrush, Dash could see that she was more than just exotic. Why, she was the strangest-looking little wolf he'd ever seen!

"You're the strangest-looking little wolf I've ever seen!" he voiced aloud. His brain-to-mouth filter had never worked quite right, unfortunately. 

Whoops. That wasn't a very friendly way to greet a stranger, was it? 

"D'you like coconuts?" he tried again, nudging the coconut half toward the stranger. He then backed up a few steps, clearing making a peace offering to the little lady. Hopefully she didn't take too much offense. 

She looked a little too frightened to be tempted into play, but maybe she'd be open to a bite to eat?
8 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
"You're the strangest-looking little wolf I've ever seen!" the creature said.

Wolf...

"Oh," she breathed. "Y-You're a wolf?" She stared up at him, taking in his mass, his muscles. Then she looked around herself. Suddenly the warm breeze through the trees was not as inviting as it had been a moment before. She shivered and whispered, mostly to herself, "Where am I?"

Where she was from, wolves were little more than legends, and all canines she had ever met were other dogs, like her. They didn't all look like her, but they were dogs, all the same. She'd never met a real wolf. She glanced back at the man, swallowing, a strange fluttering nervousness flapping in her chest, like butterfly wings.

And then he said, "D'you like coconuts?" and pushed the coconut half he'd been slurping on toward her.

She blinked, flustered. "My human never let me eat these," she said, staring down at it. "He said they were... bad." What the man had meant was that the sugar and the coconut oil was bad for her, but she did not speak Human, and the only word that had stuck was bad. She lowered her nose and sniffed at it, giving it a tentative lick. It tasted sweet. She smiled, glancing up at the wolf. "Are you sure I can have this?" She had no intention of stealing a wolf's sweet treat away from him, terrified of the repercussions. Wolves were... vicious creatures, or so she had heard.
115 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
"Y-You're a wolf?"

"Sure am," Dash answered proudly. "We're all wolves, on this piece of coast." Although he was often guilty of speaking out of his ass, he was definitely knowledgeable on this front. He'd spent the better part of two years traveling up and down this stretch of coast. "Or, we were all wolves, until now.." It stood to reason that if the little lady hadn't immediately recognized him as a wolf, then she probably wasn't one herself. 

So that made her a... a what, exactly..?

Oh! She was a dog! Realization dawned as soon as she started speaking of humans. He'd never had much to do with the world of two-legs himself, but he'd heard stories about the canines they kept as companions, feeding and spoiling them over generations until they were scrawny, malformed, and completely devoid of natural survival instincts. Dogs.

"You're a dog, then," he voiced his conclusion aloud, stating the obvious. 

"Are you sure I can have this?" 

Dash mistook the question, assuming that she was asking if the food itself was safe.

"Well, it'll make your insides run a bit," he admitted, "But it's better than an empty belly. The prey in the area are dropping like flies from some disease, so it's about the only option..." He stopped himself, realizing that the dog might not understand conversation about prey and hunting and whatnot. "That is to say, our other food sources are drying up," he clarified.
8 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
Kailani suddenly felt incredibly uncomfortable, and fell silent as the wolf explained to her that every canine around here was like him. They were all wolves. All… except her. So, what did that make her to them? A friend? Competition? Prey?

She sank to her belly in the sand and stared at the coconut half between her paws. Suddenly, she didn’t feel very hungry, and the thought of “runny insides” didn’t help. Her stomach made a gurgling sound, probably from nerves, and she nudged the fruit away, the sweet smell making her feel sick.

“The prey in the area are dropping like flies from some disease,” the wolf said. “That is to say, our other food sources are drying up.”

Kailani took a deep breath and gazed up at the wolf from her position on the ground. She missed her human greatly, just then.  She glanced away, swallowing, and asked quietly, “Do wolves… eat dogs?”
115 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
“Do wolves… eat dogs?”

Oh... 

Oh. 

Dash's face fell as realization dawned. Wolves did eat dogs, in fact. And there were some mighty hungry wolves roaming around the Teekons, right about now...

If he answered yes, then the Little Miss would probably run from him in terror, right into the jaws of a much hungrier wolf than he. If he answered no, she would continue on her merry way, completely unaware of the threat that the wolves in the area posed. 

So Dash was uncharacteristically mute for a long moment. Finally, he uttered in a lowered voice, "Little Miss, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you might not be safe out here all alone. Not on this coast, and not in the rest of the Teekons either." He gestured vaguely at the surrounding lands over his shoulder.

"You'd best run on back to your human, and tell it to get you both the hell out of here." A human wasn't going to be safe here either, come to think of it, but Dash only really cared for the safety of this sweet Little Miss before him.
8 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
Kailani closed her eyes as the wolf's words sank in. She turned her face away, breathing shakily, shivering as fear set in. She had awoken in a place that reminded her so much of home, this sea-swept coastline full of palm trees, and uncharacteristically warm, considering the time of year. Now, every shadow cast by a tree or a bush, every rustle of leaves in the wind, seemed threatening.

"Look out there," she said to him, "to the sea. Look as far as you can, past the nearby islands, out to where the horizon is. That is where my human is--somewhere out there, in the vast water, on a boat." She took another shaky breath. "You probably don't know what a boat is, but it doesn't matter. The point is... I cannot find my human and go home. I am trapped here, now. With all the hungry wolves." A whine started in her throat, but she cut it off before it could become a howl of fear and sorrow. 

As she stared out at the ocean, the wind rustling her damp fur, she whispered, "I'm going to die here."
115 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Dash picked his way through the underbrush to draw up even the woman, who had the better view of the coastline from her position. He squinted across the sea, trying to imagine how Little Miss could have managed to get so very lost. He had absolutely no clue what a boat was, and even though he wasn't the sharpest banana in the bunch, he understood that Little Miss was very, very far from anyone or anything that might be likely to help her. 

Except him. He turned to her, sympathy plain on his features. "I know what it's like to be separated from the person you love," he told her earnestly. "I'm really sorry." Everything about the man looked wilted. 

He didn't hear the exact words she murmured to herself, but her sentiment was plain upon her face. Little Miss looked like she could very well be re-named Little Miss Hopeless.   

"Look here, Little Miss. You're safe enough with this old sea-cur. I'm a fisherman by trade, and I'm not in the habit of eating nothin' that's got four legs.. excepting maybe a boar every now and then..." Damn, that sounded good...

Before his mind could drift off track, he forced his attention back to Little Miss. "Name's Dash," he offered, one brow raised questioningly.
8 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
"I know what it's like to be separated from the person you love. I'm really sorry." 

And he looked so genuinely sorry that she could not help but give him a small, watery smile, despite the fear still clawing its way up and down her back, her guard hairs standing on end. 

He went on to tell her that she would be safe with him, and that he knew how to fish. She set her face into a grim expression, trying to suppress her terror, and stood up, shaking the sand from her her fur.

"Name's Dash," he said. 

"Kailani," she replied, though she was hardly paying attention to proper greetings now. "Dash," she began, her eyes faraway, looking out to the horizon. And then she turned to look back at him. "If you truly wish to help me, will you teach me? To... to fish. To hunt. To... to fight. I have only scrapped with other dogs before, and even then, not very often. If I am to survive out here, I suppose I must be... wild." The thought made her long for her soft fabricated bed back in her human's house. But, somewhere deep down inside herself, something exciting was stirring. She refused to die here. She refused to become meat. She would survive, and she would thrive. She gazed at Dash with open, honest eyes. "You must teach me to be like you."
115 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
She wanted to be like him? Dash almost spoke up to protest right then and there. He wasn't any kind of role model for anyone. Couldn't keep his sister safe, couldn't find her after years of looking, couldn't ever manage to make pack life work out... He could hardly get through an interaction with another wolf without driving them to violence. 

But this poor Little Miss Kailani, she had nothing... no skills and no instincts, save that plucky little nerve that had driven her to make this request of him. 

..Was this how his dear Melody felt, when she was left alone in the wake of the avalanche?  

Dash let out a long breath, and against his better judgement (who even knew he possessed better judgement?) he found himself agreeing. "I suppose I know a thing or two I could show you," he allowed. He smiled, albeit a bit feebly. What was he getting himself into, here? He could certainly try to teach the dog to be a wolf, but in the end, it was probably going to be a vain effort. She was probably going to end up dead, no matter how hard he tried to save her. Was he just setting himself up for yet another failure? Yet another heartbreak?
8 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
Kailani could see Dash's hesitation, but she only continued to stare up at him imploringly. She studied him, realizing with a rise of bile in her throat that he could kill her in a second if wanted to. That was why she had to learn. She had to learn to survive out here or she'd be dead in days. 

Finally, he released a long sigh and agreed to teach her "a thing or two."

She smiled, her entire back half wiggling as her tail wagged. "Thank goodness," she breathed, and in her excitement and relief, she pressed her body against his in a friendly manner, wiggling against his side. For a moment, she forgot how he dwarfed her, how his jaws could snap down onto the back of her neck. She forgot that, as a dog, she probably shouldn't be so physically friendly with him. Well... he might be okay, but others would not be. She'd have to learn to control herself.

She pulled back quickly, lowering her head in embarrassment. "S-Sorry," she stammered, and tried to think of something to distract away from her awkwardness. "Um... So, what's first?"
115 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
The hug caught him off-guard; how long had it been since anyone had actually hugged him? Like, completely of their own volition? Before he could even shake his surprise enough to hug her back, she was pulling away. Apologizing. 

He opened his mouth to insist that the apology wasn't necessary. The hug was nice. He'd liked it. No wonder humans kept these dog creatures around-- they sure had a way of making you feel all warm and fuzzy. 

But Little Miss Kailani was already asking what was next, so Dash would oblige her. 

"Err.. well, coconuts, Little Miss. Coconuts are first." He gestured down to the coconut half that she had abandoned. If she wanted the strength to hunt down meat, she needed to take it where she could get it. And right now, she had to get it from a coconut. 

"Sorry," he added, feeling it was his own turn to apologize. "A big part of survival is learning to get by on unusual fare." There would be no more bags of doggie chow for Kailani. That part of her life was over.
8 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
The two of them seemed to move on from the awkward hug fairly well. Dash quickly went on to tell her that she had to eat the coconut first, to gain strength for whatever else they were going to do.

She looked down at it and was glad that her earlier nausea seemed to have faded. "O-Okay," she said, and pushed away the thought of the coming diarrhea that might ensue from eating this. She brought it between her front paws again and lay down, twisting her head so that she could bite off pieces with her back teeth. After some experimental bites, she smiled up at Dash. "It's good," she said, and continued eating, her tail thumping contentedly in sand. After a few more bites, she asked, "After I eat, then what will we do?"
115 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
She seemed to relax, which was a relief to Dash. He hated seeing anyone upset, and this Little Miss sure was sweet-looking when she smiled. 

"Glad you like it!" he returned her smile. 

What was next? 

"Well, I could show you how to get one open. A coconut, I mean." He gestured down at the coconut half she was enjoying, which was perfectly split down the seam. "They don't come like that, I'm afraid." 

His emerald eyes drifted away to scan the floor of the grove, searching for a coconut that he could use for demonstration. "D'you see another one around here? They're round, and sort of hairy, and they fall off those trees." He pointed upward with a paw, indicating a palm tree.