Noctisardor Bypass creature comfort
Hushed Willows
Singer
96 Posts
Ooc — Y2K9
for @Laurel whenever you have the time <3

It’s been on his mind for weeks. The thought of fishing with his mother. To show her this newfound trade he’d picked up haphazardly. To do something with her. Anything
This fishing scenario he’d concocted brought him small joy, and he’d think of it on the particularly lonely days. He’d thought of bringing it up to her more times than he could count, but he always chickened out as soon as he approached her.
Not today, Abel thought, chest inflated as he made his way towards the family den. 
He’d gone over his line a billion times that morning.

Hey mom, wanna go to the lake?
Mom, let’s go fishing!
I was thinking of going out to fish. Wanna come?

… and a billion other questions along those lines.

all forgotten when he sheepishly peaked into the den.
Mom? Are - are you there?
you're the unbreakable heart
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
tag for reference!

As it just so happened, Laurel had been to the lake with @Indra III earlier in the day. She hadn't really thought to ask Abel to come along. Only when they'd been there, splashing about, she recalled that she had a son and that they could've asked him to come, too. Laurel had shown Indra different kinds of fish and patiently explained to her how fishing worked (they'd even tried a few times, but Indra hadn't managed to catch anything yet; understandable).

After their trip to the lake Laurel had taken a nap at the den, but unfortunately she was plagued by Iliksis' poisonous voice in her ears, making it hard to sleep. Don't forget your son, dearest. You know what happens to men who are mistreated by their mothers. I don't mistreat him, she snapped defensively to the empty space around her. Just leave me alone. A short pause before the haunting answer. Never, dearest. I love you too much for that.

Eventually, she drifted off to sleep, but she was awakened by another voice. Laurel blinked groggily and she turned her head around. After a short moment she realised that it was Abel calling out to her. What do you want? Laurel said impatiently, and she kept laying down for now; thirsting for more sleep, but also torn apart by guilt for forgetting Abel earlier.
Hushed Willows
Singer
96 Posts
Ooc — Y2K9
Whatever hope he had began to fade as Laurel turned to reveal her sleep-ridden features. It died off completely when she spoke to him.
Abel deflated, then stared down at his shuffling Well I… A lump formed in his throat. He wanted to turn and run as he did before, but it was much too late for that. He’d already woken her up, so better spit it out now than risk irritating her more.
Mahler taught me to fish. I wanna show you- Abel swallowed. -if you wanna.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Abel started with a stammered 'well, I' that basically said nothing at all. Well, go on then, spit it out, Laurel said impatiently. She blinked her eyes as she tried to wake herself up a bit more. A yawn split her face and then finally, Abel said that he had learned to fish from Mahler and wanted to show her.

This surprised Laurel. What? That your son wants to still spend any time with you at all? Honestly, she didn't at all feel like going back to the lake after she had spent such a large chunk of the day there with Indra. But... You also feel guilty, don't you? Laurel was silent for a moment as she considered what she wanted. She didn't want to go.

But...

You have to go, dearest. Laurel let out a deep sigh that indicated how she felt about all this and then she lifted herself off the ground and exited the den. Alright, let's see what you learned, she said, her response lackluster and her body language exuding that she wasn't very excited about this. He was being a bit of a bother, honestly, but Laurel knew that she had to give him some attention to make her guilt go away.
Hushed Willows
Singer
96 Posts
Ooc — Y2K9
Abel prepared himself for the inevitable rejection. An apology was at the tip of his tongue and he was ready to leave and try to forget this plan entirely.
Laurel’s response completely took him by surprise. She was unenthusiastic, but that hardly mattered to him. She said yes, and he could hardly believe it.
Really? Abel stared at her for a moment, wide eyed. Then he laughed weakly, cracked a smile.
He jumped away from the mouth of the den and pranced towards the river. He looked over his shoulder briefly and stated, Um, it’s - it’s over here. I can show you, And he was off again with a wagging tail and a smile on his face.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Even the way that Abel was happy about getting to show his mother his fishing skills annoyed Laurel. Guilt gnawed at her. She was supposed to love him just as much as Indra, but somehow he just made it impossible. Why wasn't he just a bit more confident? Why wasn't he... just a bit more like Indra? Laurel knew that it was an impossible standard to live up to, and she wanted to be more enthusiastic and loving and supporting towards him, but it was hard, because everything he did was just a reminder that he was not Indra.

Laurel followed Abel with a lackluster disposition. She decided to try a little harder and forced a smile onto her face as she followed her son down to the river.
Hushed Willows
Singer
96 Posts
Ooc — Y2K9
Abel would constantly look over his shoulder as they headed towards the river. Still in disbelief about the situation, he expected his mother to be leaving when he turned to her or disappear entirely. But she was there each time. Her smile was infectious.
Abel spun around for the dozenth time as they approached the river, grinning ear to ear.
We’re here! he blurted. That’s obvious, he knew. But he was so excited to be with his mother. Finally. And that manifested by the way he spoke out any thought that came to mind.
Abel bounded to the water’s edge. He leaned over, but quickly snapped up straight. :
Mahler said you have to stand up straight. And .. and he said watch the water. Real close. A sense of pride glowed within him as he was able to recall the instructions.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Laurel felt like this was a waste of her time, and she felt incredibly guilty about it at the same time. Abel excitedly called out that they were there, to which Laurel herself thought it was rather obvious. Without responding, she watched as Abel headed over to the water's edge and started to recite what he was going to do — or rather, what Mahler'd instructed him.

Hmm-hmm, Laurel hummed, trying her best to sound interested but sounding paying-attention at best. And then what's next? They were probably going to wait a really long time until the fish finally calmed down. Laurel herself had never been much of a fisher. She loved collecting shiny rocks in the river, both with her sister and her children, but fishing had never been her cup of tea. Too much time wasted just doing nothing.
Hushed Willows
Singer
96 Posts
Ooc — Y2K9
Now you gotta wait for a fish’s shadow. Which would, in fact, take a really long time if he kept fidgeting the way he was now. He couldn’t help it though. This was possibly the most exciting thing to happen in his entire life, and his body reacted accordingly.
Have you ever gone fishing, Mom? Abel looked up at her.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
As Laurel watched Abel fidget in the water, she said, Stand still, or they'll never come. Her tone was a little more strict than she anticipated. Abel asked her if she'd ever gone fishing, and Laurel said, I've done it from time to time. It had never really been her thing, but she wasn't going to tell her son that she wasn't all that good at it. It takes a lot of patience.
Hushed Willows
Singer
96 Posts
Ooc — Y2K9
His back straightened as a response to her command. So too did his guard. Abel bit his tongue, silently scolded himself, called himself an idiot within his mind, and turned his gaze back on the water.
Yeah it does, he whispered. I wish they’d pop up sooner. Dry laughter, then silence.
Long, long silence. He felt his insides burn as each moment passed. His eyes had gone blurry from holding them open too long. When he blinked he finally saw it; the shadow of a fish. But he was too anxious to leap for it.
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Wishing doesn't get us anywhere, Laurel reminded Abel. Only actions do. She watched as he continued, pleased that he was standing still a bit better after her reprimand.

It took a long time for a fish to show up. Abel looked at it, but it seemed as if he wasn't going for it. Go on, grab it! Laurel encouraged him, half-encouraging and sweet, half-commanding. She watched, actually feeling excited now, hoping hard that Abel would manage to impress her by catching the fish, though feeling deep down that he probably would miss it.

can you wrap this up or just archive it as is? <3 i'm wrapping up laurel's threads!
Hushed Willows
Singer
96 Posts
Ooc — Y2K9
yes ofc! sorry about the wait <33

Time closed around him. So too did the walls around his heart. His breath stuck to his throat and his chest began to burn.
Suddenly, his mother yells to him. ”go on, grab it!” It is the forcefulness in her voice that gives him the initial push into the water, but it is the encouragement that keeps him wrestling with the fish. With determination and a stroke of luck, the child was able to clasp it tightly within his jaws and drag it out the water.
I caugh’d id.., he mumbled through his teeth. He dropped it and stared at his catch with disbelief. Then a surge of warmth rose through his body. The corner’s of his mouth slowly tugged into a smile. I-I caught it! Look mom!
In that moment when he turned to see her face, Abel chose to see excitement in it. Even pride. And when they walked back to their home Abel beamed the whole way.
And for the first time in a long time he was happy.