Lion Head Mesa Sips froth from soft, warm joe
230 Posts
Ooc — hela
Private 
late morning, overcast, 55 F
@Arsenio

Sayf sat within the chilly water of the wellspring, cleaning his fur and entertaining the thoughts of a certain mazoi as they drifted through his mind. The giant had consumed much of his free time lately, not that the fellahin had any complaints. 

This morning had been spent with the pharaoh as he finally emerged from his and the queens quarters, ready to be worshiped again. Sayf had happily obliged, all the while keeping his secret promise to Sakai. 

But now he had some time to himself, and his chose to spend it tidying up his fur and preparing for the rest of the day. He assumed it would be back to business as usual now.
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The wellspring was a curious place. The Mazoi had only ventured there once or twice to bathe in the water when it was most quiet. Before, the waters had been warmer. Sunlight had been able to light them and fill them with a tepidness. As the season had changed, the waters had gotten colder. By winter, Arsenio was certain they would experience a rather frigid bath if they tried to wade into it. At least, he could count on it to invigorate him.

As the Mazoi prowled toward the wellspring, he heard another within the waters. The redstone guard pricked his ears forward, considering whether he was interested in spending time with the other members of the mesa. This contemplation held him outside the wellspring for several minutes until he swallowed his uncertainty and stepped inside.

Sayf, the Greek noted him with a warm tone. Care to have a guard join you?
230 Posts
Ooc — hela
Soon he was no longer alone. He heard the guard's deep voice and turned to smile at him. I'm always happy to have the mazoi join me, he assured his friend. 

He glided through the water, over to where Arsenio had just gotten in. The water is not as nice as it was, but it still does the job. Another smile. Would you like me to do that for you? he asked. The mazoi do not have to bathe themselves if they don't want to. Sayf was happy to serve the guard if he would let him. History had shown that the handsome man did not want from him what the rest usually did.
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The Fellahin was pleasant as he met Arsenio’s eye. Sayf moved over in the wellspring where the guard had stepped into the chilly waters. Almost in the same breath, he asked if the Greek would like to be bathed. It was suggested that the Mazoi did not need to tend to those needs on their own. The ice in the redstone figure’s eyes met Sayf before he shook his head.

No need, filos. I am a man who is capable of washing himself, even if I do not look it.

Arsenio simply did not want for the Fellahin to think he was open to their sweet tongues. Still, Tamar had easily swayed him. He thought on this for a moment longer than he should have before he moved deeper into the water and settled there. The guard’s eyes were fixed on Sayf again.

This will get too cold when the snows come.
230 Posts
Ooc — hela
As he had suspected, the guard turned down his offer. And as usual, the rejection made hurt bloom in his chest, but he was careful to hide it from the statue. It was the mazoi's choice, after all.

Sayf smiled apologetically and allowed him to put some space between them. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that you were not capable, just that you didn't have to if you didn't want to. He turned his gaze to the water and pulled some of it to his own chest before combing the plush fur with his teeth.

Unfortunately, he answered between his grooming. It will be a shame to be without the bathing pools during the winter.

He moved his focus back to the guard. Arsenio? he asked softly. What does filos mean?
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Bah, was a noise made just to assure Sayf that it was fine. There was no need for apologies between them. After all, I am just a servant the same as you, Sayf. You are not for me to use.

Arsenio did not like that any of them were used like playthings. It felt degrading, even from the perspective of a watcher. Besides, he was used just as much as they were. His back had begun to ache from the hours posted outside the queen’s door. She had been more active before the wedding. He wondered if she had settled down because she was planning a family with the Pharaoh.

Sayf pulled the man from his thoughts with a question. He wished to know the meaning of filos.

Ah, the Greek said with a thoughtful glance toward the other. It is ah… friend.
230 Posts
Ooc — hela
That is exactly what I am, Arsenio, he said, nothing negative in his voice. He stated it like it was a fact, because it was. The fellahin serve the mazoi as they do the pharaoh and queen, he pointed out. Bathing them fell under his list of duties, and he didn't mind doing it. 

He couldn't help the warmth that bloomed in his heart when he learned that filos meant friend. Sayf smiled. I am glad you consider me your friend, he said, the smile deepening the curve of his dark lips. I like to think of you as my friend too. He paused and looked sheepishly to the statue. If that is okay with you. He knew he had had been the one to suggest that they be friends, but he still needed to hear the words, just to be sure.
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Arsenio shook his head, as if in disagreement with the Fellahin’s assessment of himself. The Mazoi had never anticipated that he would have any of them tend to him in that way. He was not to be pampered, no matter what he did to serve the Pharaoh and his prized queen. Did Sayf not feel that he was demeaned in these tasks? Arsenio surely would have. He did not want to ask the slender thing if it was so. It would only grow the anger in his belly.

Yes, yes, it is fine, he assured the slim man.

The water sloshed up to his chest and he looked down at it.

Friends do not serve each other that way. They support.

Arsenio felt it was a fine line, easy to cross, but one that stood distinctly in his mind. He did not want Sayf to think the only way he was useful was by serving the Mazoi. The Greek man only wanted company and he feared that his time spent with Tamar would cause eyes to wander.
230 Posts
Ooc — hela
He was confused by his friend's words, and it likely showed on his face. He frowned and tilted his head a little. I'm not sure I know what you mean, he stated. You being my friend does not change my rank or yours. It does not excuse us from our duties. 

Sayf took a step closer, his ears falling. I know you don't want the things from me that most others do, but if you ever did, I would serve you willingly. It makes me happy to help others. To the fellahin that was how he could support his friend—that or any other way that was suitable to the mazoi.
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Arsenio shook his head again, still disagreeing with Sayf. He was giving himself away in this action, revealing that he did not condone the way that Akashingo was run. When he looked to the coyote and settled deeper into the bathwater, he smiled.

It is hard for me to say to you what I mean, he tried to offer, but he realized that there would be no real way to inform Sayf that obligations and assigned duties were not hand-in-hand with friendship. The Greek man could not say that he desired the same lavish things that the other Mazoi received. He did, of course, but not from the Fellahin and not from Sayf. He desired those things only from Tamar, and in turn he desired to return such treatment to her.

Sayf, I do not wish for you to serve me as you serve superiors. Only to be beside me as company. Was that better?
230 Posts
Ooc — hela
Sayf didn't want to push the matter more than he already had. He had just wanted to get his point across. But it seemed he had only made things more confusing for them. He frowned as Arsenio struggled to find the words to explain his perspective. The guard did not care about their ranks or what was available to him, which was difficult for the fellahin to understand.

But the mazoi's next words brought a smile to his dark lips. I can always be company, he assured his friend. Whenever you need it. 

The frown returned to his face as a thought crossed his mind Arsenio, why do you only want company from me? he asked, his words a little hesitant. He was worried the guard would confirm his fear that he had done something to soil the other man's interest in him.
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Sayf was polite with his answer, offering his company whenever the Mazoi might need it. Arsenio wasn’t certain that he liked that response, either. He knew it was better than having the kind young Fellahin offer himself the way he did to the Pharaoh. It wasn’t that Sayf was unappealing, only that the Greek did not look upon men in that way.

I do not gaze at men in that way. I need only companionship, nothing more. My heart is involved with another, and it would not be agreeable to do to you what I long to do with her. Of course, he had lied to many of the wolves of Akashingo and had told them that he had a wife and daughter in a faraway village beside the sea. When he spoke, he thought only of Tamar.

You are enough, this way. You are enough without giving yourself to me.

The ice of his gaze fixed on Sayf inquisitively.
230 Posts
Ooc — hela
The guard gave logical answers to his question. He wasn't attracted to men, which Sayf thought was a shame, even if he had turned down his advances. And he had a wife, he had mentioned her the first time they had met. He only wanted to be with her in the way Sayf wanted to be with him. But the fellahin respected his answer, and wouldn't push him for more. 

He stared strangely at the mazoi as he spoke of the coyote being enough as just a friend. He was unsure how to feel about the words, mostly because he never felt like enough to anyone, no matter how many times he gave them whatever they wanted. 

The fellahin finally looked away and down at the water lapping at his upper arms. He nodded after a moment. Okay, he said. 

Does something weigh on your mind today? Is that why you are in need of the company of a friend? Sayf would listen if that was what he needed.
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Arsenio did not know if Sayf had understood. The slender young figure looked down at his chest and watched the water lap against him with only one word in response. The mercenary did not want for the Fellahin to feel that it was necessary to do anything beyond conversing. Perhaps he did not understand that what the Greek man needed was to feel ordinary.

You know it can be lonely to be a guard sometimes, he said, voice sounding more cheerful than it should have for the subject. Sayf had asked if something weighed on his mind, something that he wished to share. There were many things, yes, but only few that he felt comfortable sharing with one so close to the Pharaoh. Arsenio did wish that Sayf was not as dedicated to the royal members of Akashingo, but there was nothing that could be done about it.

Sometimes I like to feel like I am just a man… who talks with his friends. Over anything, or nothing. It does not matter. It is enough to have you here. Arsenio grinned toothily at Sayf and splashed the water intentionally toward the slender Fellahin.
230 Posts
Ooc — hela
Sayf's expression turned thoughtful as Arsenio told him of how lonely it was to be a guard. He could understand; the mazoi was constantly surrounded by his charges, but often he was a fixture in the background. The fellahin wondered if any stopped and got to know the guard like he had. Of course, he had only been doing as pharaoh wished, but now he was invested for his own benefit. He felt drawn to Arsenio; he genuinely wanted him to be happy. 

Sayf chuckled as Arsenio splashed water in his direction. It was the first time he had seen the guard be playful. You are more than that, he said softly. But I am glad I can help you by just being here, Sayf told him. A forbidden feeling swelled in the fellahin's chest, one he would ignore. The guard did not see him that way, and Sayf belonged to another.
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
I will find a way for them to continue to be friends. >w<

I am glad, too.

The guard stepped from the water and moved to allow his frame to drip. The chill of it raised the hair along his neck. He shook his coat when he could not stand the cling of it and felt the water fly free of him. He had spent enough time bathing. It would be time to return to his post and to keep watch over the guests who visited the queen.

I will see you later, Sayf, the guard offered before leaving. He hummed a tune as he made his way back to his place.
230 Posts
Ooc — hela
yes! i would love that

It seemed Arsenio was done bathing for now. Sayf watched him pull himself from the water, careful to look away when the guard turned to him again. He offered a promise to see him later, and the fellahin smiled. Any time you would like, he offered in return.

Sayf remained in the water long after the mazoi had gone. When he could no longer stand the cold, he walked back to the shore. Now he would search for his own mazoi in hopes that he could warm him up.