Duskfire Glacier Ilik
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
All Welcome 
Wintersbane and his mate had passed.

Issorartuyok did not know how to feel after he had learned the news. He had only just spoken to the dark woman who was mated to the glacier man. She’d expressed concern for her children. Had there been something wrong? The northerner searched his mind trying to recall how she had behaved, but he had only sensed her stress for her loved ones. Perhaps her love for the man had carried her spirit with his.

The large wolf prowled the territory with his mind buzzing. Having Tuuluuwaq there was a comfort and ease on his heart, but the wolves of the village had just lost a leader and they would be in mourning. Issorartuyok knew that he should make himself busy, helping them to keep the village strong for the cold of winter was sneaking up to them.

Instead, the northern wolf searched for his apprentice @Veteran. He wished to see the young boy, to hear if he had learned of the herds and how his time had been spent.
190 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
I absolutely love Isso's idea for a feast/celebration of life, but I was hoping we could hold it in the Valley instead of the glacier? That way there can be a little more separation between the grief/mourning and the feasting/celebration of life. Message me and let me know what you think!

Their paths would cross as Veteran patrolled the glacier. His heart pulled him out toward the Moonglow camp, where there was feasting and singing and storytelling and laughter. Here, there was only grief and sadness. Veteran wished he could go and forget about it all for a while, but he had to stay until they held the death ceremony. It was already in the works. Mom and Issorartuyok would host a short, somber ceremony at the the burial site, there would be a pack howl, and then everyone would transition out to the Moonglow hunter's camp for feasting and a celebration of life for the deceased. He just had to hang on until then. 

Issorartuyok's form was a sight for sore eyes. "You're back!" Veteran ran to him, barking for joy even as tears streamed down his face. He would slow only slightly before crashing into his mentor's chest to bury his face. Truly, Issorartuyok's presence in his life was the only thing holding him together in the wake of his father's death. He still had a mother, and he still had a father-figure. Ensio and Arius had neither, and that was too sad for the boy to even comprehend.
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
I had planned on PMing you about it, tbh. I had only waited to see if it would come up naturally in one of our threads. ^.^ I think having them separate is a great idea. Let’s have the feast in the valley and the small ceremony at the glacier so they can sing for their spirits. <3 Would you like me to work on starting a meeting thread?

The boy’s voice filled the air. It drew the man’s head up until his dark eyes settled on the lean figure who raced toward him. As Veteran collided into his chest, Issorartuyok chuckled and wrapped his arms tightly around his apprentice’s figure. The large man allowed himself to fall back until he was on the ground. Veteran wept, and the northern man did not wish to disturb his grieving or to dishonor it. Veteran had done well in his absence. He had had made Issorartuyok proud.

You have done well, Veteran. You have protected the glacier as a man, the large male stated warmly. It is good to see you. And it was. Issorartuyok had been troubled by his trip with Meerkat. He had been left wondering, thinking frequently of her words and the words of her mother. He thought of the children that he desired and the upcoming season. Would Veteran have young boys and girls to impart his own wisdom upon? Issorartuyok could only hope so.

Tell me what you have accomplished. I am eager to hear.
190 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Absolutely! I think it would be great if Isso kicked it off, if you don't mind starting.

Veteran pressed into Issorartuyok, and his small body heaved with sobs despite his joy at being reunited with his mentor. It was all very confusing and overwhelming, and it took him a long time to sort himself out. Issorartuyok spoke to him when it was all winding down, and the pride Veteran took in his words almost prompted another round of tears, but Veteran was ultimately able to hold these at bay. 

He pulled away from Issorartuyok with a hiccup and a wet sniffle. 

"I camped with Moonglow and tracked the herd. We skinned the kills, and packed the meat in caches. ...I hunted a caribou with a Rivenwood girl. ..I patrolled the border, and I met your brother and sister when they came," he reported, searching Isorartuyok's face for validation. 

And I met a peach-hued princess, whose laugh is like music...

He would just think that last one to himself-- he didn't want Issorartuyok to think he had been distracted. 

"--I would have done more!" he rushed to add, wondering if he had done enough in Issorartuyok's eyes, "But.. um, after Dad.. you know.. Wayfarer needed me." They had needed each other really, but it sounded tougher saying it the other way.
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Issorartuyok listened closely as Veteran told him how he had spent time with the wolves of Moonglow and had hunted with Kigipigak. He had even met someone from Rivenwood. The northerner thought of young Heda fondly, wondering if both of his apprentices would work well together. Young Veteran had even met Tuuluuwaq, but the eldest of the Tatkret wolves pricked his ears at the sound of the young man having met his sister.

My sister? his voice was thoughtful.

Did she give you a name? For, he had not scented another of his siblings. He wondered if they had also met with Lane and had been granted access to the glacier. These thoughts raced away with his mind, leaving him to contemplate the reason for his kin journeying to find him. Issorartuyok could not help but to worry for their mother and father. He hoped they were well.

You have done well, Veteran. Your village needs you now more than ever. You are the blood of your father and you walk where he walked. You are how we remain close to him, the man said fondly, nudging his nose to the younger wolf’s cheek.
190 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Veteran dug into his memory. "Tuuluuwaq called her Nara," he noted. Another few seconds, and he had it. "Tan-a-rock!" he landed on the name at last, when his mental image of a rock laying out the sun finally clicked. He had taught Mom this trick for remembering names, and she was now doing much better with it. 

Veteran placed several licks on Issorartuyok's chin when he leaned in with the nudge. It was, perhaps, a bit of a childish gesture, but Veteran wasn't feeling very grown-up at the moment. "The village needs you too, Issorartuyok," Veteran insisted. 

A question hit him suddenly. "Is there a Northern word for mentor? A special name I can call you?" he asked. The hole in his heart left by Dad and Tzila ached to be filled, and having something special to call Issorartuyok seemed very important in this moment.
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Tanaraq was there?

Issorartuyok smiled softly to Veteran.

My sister Tanaraq. I wonder where she is now.

The brown of his eyes swept the distant glacier as he thought of his family. He wondered if all of them had ventured to him, if they had braved the journey together or on their own. Issorartuyok had missed them all. He had not truly allowed himself to dwell on them, knowing that it would make him long for the frozen tundra and the familiarity of home.

Veteran wished to know if there was a northern word for mentor. Issorartuyok returned his gaze to the young man and laughed. It was a warm noise that filled the air.

There is not a word for mentor, but one for teacher. It is ilinniatitsijuk. It might be hard to say, but I would like to see you try, the man spoke gently to the boy. He reached out to nudge with his nose. Something in him said that he had missed Veteran, too, while he had been away with Meerkat. There was a piece of him that longed to be a father.
190 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Issorartuyok inquired rhetorically after his sister, and Veteran felt a twinge of guilt in his heart. "I haven't seen her around," he noted, "I don't think she stayed." He trailed his gaze away from Issorartuyok's face. Veteran hadn't behaved in a manner that anyone could construe as welcoming, admittedly. ..He just didn't like strangers, or not the way his mom seemed to at least. And to be fair, it had been pretty dang suspicious for all of Issorartuyok's "siblings" to arrive when he was conveniently out of the territory and unable confirm their identities. 

That reminded him... he probably needed to find Tuuluuwaq and try to make up for his uncharitable behavior at their initial meeting. 

"Ilimniat-tit-sidjuk" Veteran echoed, his tongue glazing over some of the rougher sounds. "Iliniat-it-sijuk." He looked to Issorartuyok to repeat the word for him. "I'll get it," he vowed. Why did the Northern language have to be so dang difficult

Issorartuyok's nudge distracted him from his intense focus, and he chortled. 

"I should find Coach Meekah!" he realized with a start. If Issorartuyok was back, that would mean that Meerkat was also home. She would need a welcome-home hug from Veteran too! Offering Issorartuyok a return nudge, he asked, "Can I come to you later, Ill-nilly-nit-sijuk? To hear your travel-stories?" Mom always returned with stories when she had spent time on the road. No doubt Issorartuyok would have a few to share. 

fade? <3
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The northern man offered a hearty chuckle at the young boy’s attempt at the word.

Issorartuyok did not doubt Veteran’s words. He would learn to say it properly. It only needed some time and the young wolf’s diligent efforts. There would come a day when the northerner’s apprentice would be able to speak many words in the tongue of the northern people. Time would grant them many opportunities to grow.

At the mention of Meerkat, Issorartuyok found his smile fading.

Of course, the young wolf would wish to see his teacher. Issorartuyok could only think of the conversation he had shared with the glacial scout. The weight of his inadequacy hung upon his heart. Spring would be upon them before too long. It would mean the time for children and families. He could not help but to believe that he would not share in that delightful gift. This was not a welcome thought in the leader’s mind.

Go, yes, see Meerkat. I will tell you all you wish to know later.

The man nudged the boy again and watched as Veteran took off.

Issorartuyok did not understand why he felt so torn.