2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
Private 
this can be a quick thread! <3

"i have asked the pharaoh his price."

the imperator had persuaded @Arsenio out of doors for a patrol. he spoke only when the mesa was far behind them and they were alone.

"tamar must have a replacement of similar — appeal. or she must give children to akashingo."
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The soldier made their path across the mesa, out of the hearing range of the Fellahin and their interests. Arsenio followed him and listened. A scowl replaced the expression on his face.

That is not acceptable. It was spat at the ground beneath his paws.

Germanikos, you cannot agree with the way this man rules. He will become a danger to us all if he is to have his way. Arsenio had grown restless beneath the ruler’s gaze. He had lost his interest in remaining, in serving out any role that required him to bow to the Pharaoh’s wishes, or his queen’s. She was no better than the spoiled boy. Satsu was only being turned sour by the ruler’s doting.

And what if I ask for something else? Hm? What if I should ask for his head as payment?
an hour of wolves and shattered shields
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"he says she has been free to leave but has not."

germanicus refused to be cowed by the guard's righteous anger.

"i would not give the head of a sovereign for a servant who will not leave her servitude, no matter how i disagreed with him. you see what has happened when wars are fought for such reasons."

his words were firm. "why will she not depart this place? she chooses to be indentured."

"i am building mereo in the canyon." he studied arsenio. "come with me when it is finished."
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Arsenio’s gaze snapped to the man, wondering if he believed his words. Tamar could leave any time. Was this true? He thought to their conversations, and she had never truly admitted that she was stuck there. She spoke in ways that always brushed this aside, out of their reach. He let it happen. Still, he would not allow himself to believe that she would remain willingly, not when he promised her things beyond the mesa.

Germanicus then stated that he was building his station in the mountains, that Arsenio should join him there when it was completed. The Greek man eyed the soldier carefully. What had he meant in that? Akashingo was not a place that the guard wished to remain, but he did not want to be a servant to a branch of the Pharaoh’s rule, either.

To be a soldier for the Pharaoh? Or you have a new task for me?

Arsenio sought to clarify.

I will not forget the first, Germanikos. The task for which I have not yet been paid. When I speak to Tamar, I will return to you. I am growing tired of this place. What is your purpose in the mountain?
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"to be a soldier beneath me. ramesses has learned his lesson about outposts, i hope. mereo will be its ally. not its territory."

he looked to arsenio. "mereo will be a place of control for the mountains. we must have eyes in two regions if war is to be avoided. the saints are gone. but there is nothing staying their return."

he wanted more discipline in these lands. 

"den écho exapatísei akómi misthofóro.'" he saw arsenio's anger. but germanicus had not been untruthful. and he was willing to pay the first price of the pharaoh, for it would end his connection to akashingo and to the greek. they would both be free then.
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
It was a tactical move, to break away from the Pharaoh and act only as an ally to his cause. It would allow Germanicus some freedom from the culture of Akashingo, from the Pharaoh himself, and from all the things that existed around them. Arsenio did not know the Roman well enough to make the call, but the man’s plan suited him. His nature would do well in a mountain outpost, a guard over multiple lands.

Yes, very well.

The Greek’s icy gaze shifted away from the soldier. He was losing some of his steam. The hatred for Ramesses still burned hot in his stomach, but he did not know if taking the ruler’s head would bring his own death or the punishment of others. It was not just for Tamar that Arsenio sought to kill the Pharaoh. It was for his own pleasure, as well.

Tamar must go with. I will not leave her here. It cannot be. I will find one who will take her place. If that is what must be done. Arsenio would pay any price. He had given her his word.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus did not like the idea of tamar being brought to mereo. she would only serve as a distraction for the soldiers he meant to cultivate. but neither would he deny arsenio. there must be a compromise found. 

"the other fellahin seem content enough to serve. i do not think it will be hard to find another."

this was a roughened truth. it satisfied neither of them. but such were the tactics of political movement. 

"what do you wish to do when she is freed and you are no longer the queen's guard?"
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The mercenary sighed.

At one time, he would not have cared for the other Fellahin. They had been dutiful to the Pharaoh since the start. He had not taken the time to know them, to speak to many of them, or to share with them. They were simply things for the ruler to use. It had not been until he had been in the company of the Fellahin called Sayf that he realized there was room to care for the others.

Arsenio thought of Sayf taking Tamar’s place and his throat grew dry.

I should like to make her my wife, but I do not know if she will accept such an offer.

I should like to take her to the seaside and show her the ocean. I should like to spoil her, to love her, to make her smile every day with kisses and food and such devotion she would not know what to do with it.

But I will be a soldier to you, if she will know peace in Mereo. I will fight at your side, Germanikos… if she is treated well.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus nodded. "a soldier who wants other things will never be content." it was not a rejection of arsenio. but it was expectation. 

and there was time yet to decide.

he turned along the gentle edge of the red land.

"she will be treated well. i cannot promise peace." and again the eagle did not care for the idea.
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Who had said anything about contentedness? Arsenio scoffed softly at the soldier’s initial remark. The humor cast a smile to his features, and he shook his head. No, the Greek mercenary did not seek to be content with himself or his life. He was made to work and to be paid for his work, which was always good. The man did not have idle dreams of a simple future. He wanted only for Tamar to be pulled from servitude and to be given a chance at freedom.

She will be treated better than she is in Akashingo, and that is enough… to start. For that, I would gladly serve at your side.

Arsenio imagined that there would still come a day when he would long for the taste of salt and brine, when his roots would urge him to seek the ocean. He wished to see Tamar there. But as long as they were not stuck beneath the selfish rule of Ramesses, Arsenio could find patience for such things.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus heard the pledge in arsenio's voice. "very well."

he would need to work upon the logistics of children being born. he did not want their birthplace to be the canyon. it did not matter if the greek had thought of this. germanicus would, for he knew what the next season brought.

"return to your post. i will bring word when mereo is stronger."
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Arsenio nodded his head in understanding.

The redstone guard bumped his shoulder against the Roman in a show of camaraderie. The chilling color in his eyes fixed on the distant mountain, for only a moment.

It would be good to leave Akashingo behind. The Greek man could not help but thirst for the freedom that he had not known in months. After having spoken to Germanicus, Arsenio turned to search for Tamar. He wished to speak to her, to know if she was aware that she was not tied to Akashingo. As he prowled inward to the caverns, he wondered if she would accept the deal that had been established – another to take her place so that she could walk free.