Duskfire Glacier I've got this energy beneath my feet
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
Private 
He searched his brother out on this fine winter day. The snow fell lightly from the sky and painted the darker parts of his coat. It wasn't quite like home, but it was close.

The frozen grass crunched under his paws as he made his way through the ice fields. He had something he needed to discuss with @Issorartuyok, and he didn't think it could wait any longer. Tuulu could be patient at times, but he was not now. 

So whenever and wherever he found his brother, he would walk right up to him and without greeting he would say: Brother, I think it is time we discussed my rank. He had still held the rank of guest, and he was far from that. He had hunted for the pack and protected its borders; he felt he had earned a more stable place within the glacier ranks.
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
I knew I'd forgotten one! I'm so sorry. X__X<3

When Tuuluuwaq appeared to discuss his rank, Issorartuyok was surprised.

The eldest Tatkret regarded his younger brother with a small squint of his gaze and a curling smile. Tuulu had been there with them for a while. He had made a fine hunter of himself. He had worked for the village and for its people. It only made sense that he would wish to discuss his rank.

Yes, brother, tell me of your work and your wishes.

The northern man moved to make himself comfortable. It was time that they talked, anyway. Issorartuyok had wanted to see how Tuuluuwaq was getting on in the glacier, how he had managed to settle into his new home. The older man could not help but wonder if his little brother would find himself with itchy paws.
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
no apology needed <3

Tuulu settled in next to Isso as he asked for his plans. I have worked to help keep the borders safe and eliminate the sick caribou, he answered first. For him, it didn't need to be asked of him; he was living here now, and so he would protect the glacier and its residents. 

I only wish to have a more permanent rank, brother. I do not need anything special. He was not looking to be in leadership, nor did he think it was owed to him simply because his sibling was the alpha. I want it to be clear that I am a part of the village.
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Issorartuyok did not think that his brother’s wishes were unreasonable. He felt more that he should have taken a closer interest in Tuuluuwaq and his growth within the glacier. The youngest Tatkret had been a valuable member of their village since he had first arrived. Of course, he should want to be made a permanent member of their ranks, their people.

Brother, I believe you are a key member of our village. Your rank should reflect as much. This will be resolved immediately.

As the northerner regarded his sibling with the brown of his eyes, he felt himself swelling with pride. Tuulu was a good man. In time, he would make a perfect husband and father. Several thoughts buzzed in the back of his mind, but he settled for a comfortable subject.

You have decided you will stay, then? A smile warmed his dark features.
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
Tuulu was happy with his brother's answer. It was nice to know Isso thought him to be a valuable member. His brother's approval was very important to him. Thank you, he said, dipping his head once. 

To his brother's question, Tuulu smiled. Yes. This is my home now. Lane flashed in his mind; he had been serious about courting her, which meant he was serious about staying. And there was still much to learn from his older sibling.

I asked Lane if I could court her, he said after a moment. She requested I wait until after the funeral to ask her again, but she did not say no. She had seemed as though she wanted to accept, but he certainly wouldn't push her into anything, especially with so much already going on. I hope this does not upset you. His tone was lower, hesitant. He would hate to be torn between his budding but strong feelings for Lane and his loyalty to his brother.
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Issorartuyok did not respond immediately.

The eldest brother frowned in a thoughtful way. The last time he had spoken with Tuulu, it had been implied that the youngest son was not prepared to face the idea of a family. It was surprising that it had changed, that the only survivor of his litter would be facing the prospect of his own young ones, his own wife. Meanwhile, Issorartuyok had been left with nothing.

Why would it upset me?

The man’s voice was void of any emotion. The dark of his eyes watched Tuuluuwaq, searching the young man.

Why would you wait so long to tell me?

Issorartuyok felt his stomach tighten, but he did not allow for his emotions to feed into it. Tuuluuwaq would make a good father, he knew. Perhaps, the eldest Tatkret had never been meant to have a family of his own. Perhaps, he was only meant to be a leader.
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
Because she is your co-leader, he answered. I do not want to make anything difficult for you, he added. He didn't know how his brother would feel about him courting the alphess of Duskfire, knowing things could potentially be awkward for him if Tuulu and Lane didn't end up working out—the thought made his chest ache. 

He searched his brother's face for a moment. There had been no congratulations or further questions about what he had said. He only questioned why he would be upset. Are you okay, Isso? he asked. There had been little time for the two brothers to really discuss their lives. His older sibling had much on his plate, but maybe Tuulu should have reached out sooner.
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The eldest brother listened and nodded his head. Tuuluuwaq had put a great deal of thought into it. Issorartuyok regarded his young sibling with a smile that did not reach his eyes.

It would only be difficult if you sought to lead beside her, perhaps. I would need to find another home for myself. The northerner thought of his fondness for the glacier and its people. It was a sobering idea, the thought of venturing out on his own again. He believed he had found a place for himself. Then again, he knew that he would be proud of his brother. Tuulu was bound for great things.

All is well, my brother. Issorartuyok did not want his brother to share his burdens or to feel the weight of his heart. It was not right. I believe you will make a fine husband. You are a good man. Lane is deserving of a good man. The man nodded his head.

The weight in his chest grew.
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
Confusion filled his expression. I have no desire to lead, brother. That has not been on my mind. He had only just found his brother again, and he didn't want to do anything that would make him leave. But he genuinely was not interested in his brother's rank. Isso was a much better leader than he could ever be.

He appreciated his brother's words. He hoped he could be what Lane needed, but he was really just kind of figuring things out as he went. He had just been honest about his feelings with Lane and had been persistent in his desire to court her. He considered himself lucky that she had feelings for him in return. 

Thank you, he said. But he could see the weak smile on his brother's face. Tuulu knew him better than most, at least here, and he knew he wasn't keen on sharing his burdens with those around him. Do not do that, Isso, he said, his tone serious. I know something is troubling you.
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Then it will not be a difficult thing, Tuulu.

Issorartuyok had thought of it before his brother had admitted his intentions. Lane was a good woman. The northerner believed that she would not have a difficult time in finding a husband. He had wondered what it would look like if they wished to lead as a pair. The man knew that it was a simplified version of something that did not exist, but it stuck with him.

For all that he thought of his brother, Issorartuyok could not understand why Tuuluuwaq did not want to be a leader of his own village. The eldest Tatkret believed that he would have made a fine one. Even at his age, he was a respectable and honorable figure.

And he knew Issorartuyok too well.

There are dark times upon us, brother. The sickness in the herds is concerning. I want our village to be safe. I want our people to be fed. They have endured too much in this short time I have been here.

The man’s voice was somber. This was only a fraction of what weighed upon his soul.
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
Tuulu had felt the impending dark times as well. He knew the situation with the prey and he knew that the glacier depended heavily on the herds of caribou and deer. They were working to cull the ill beasts but what if they couldn't stop the sickness from spreading to all of the herds? It would certainly be dark times. 

I know, brother, he said. I am hopeful that our hard work will pay off, but if it does not, then we will figure it out. It might sound like a platitude, but it wasn't. And you do not need to shoulder all of this alone. I can help however you need. Even if that was just being an ear to listen. 

The pack is strong, Tuulu added. Even with all they had suffered. But I am sorry things have been so hard for everyone and that you have to carry so much.
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
You have helped already, Tuuluuwaq. You have been a good man to this village and to its people.

Issorartuyok wondered again if his younger brother was more suited for the role of a leader. The northern man could see the youngest Tatkret sitting beside Lane. He could see children at their paws. He could see happiness in the faces of their people. They seemed to real to him that he struggled to remind himself that they were only imaginings. Issorartuyok must trust his brother.

It will be better when we have found a new land for the village. Then there will be talks of families, of children. It will be a brighter time, he spoke aloud, hoping that it would ease his own troubled heart. Issorartuyok did not know what the future would hold for him. He was glad to have his brother beside him.
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
His brothers praise was greatly appreciated. Tuulu dipped his head. Thank you, brother, he offered. It is no problem. He was happy to help out; it was his home now too. And anything to lessen Lane and his brother's work loads was worth it.

Tuulu was looking forward to being in the new village. Things were stressful here, and he was ready to have more time to train and hunt, as well as see Lane. As it was currently, she didn't have a lot of free time, and he wouldn't pull her from her duties ever. 

He looked forward to there being children in the village. I hope some of those children will be yours, Isso, he said with a slight smile. His brother deserved a family; he deserved to be happy.
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
At the mention of children, Issorartuyok offered his younger brother a small smile.

I am not sure, Tuulu. I may be akkak before I am a father.

There was warmth in his gaze for his youngest sibling. The northerner could not hold his little brother accountable for his own faults. He could not blame him for seeking love for himself, either. These were things that Tuuluuwaq deserved, without doubt. Issorartuyok felt foolish for almost allowing himself to falter. It did not matter if he was unable to find a wife. He had a village to protect. He had family there.

I will be pleased to see spring, regardless.
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
Tuulu was sad to hear his brother speak that way about having children. Isso was a good man and a good leader, he believed his brother could have whatever woman he wanted, and he believed he would make a loyal and doting husband; he just needed to find a woman that understood him. Perhaps, he said, though children were not something he had really considered. Right now, his focus was solely on Lane and courting her. 

Has anyone caught your eye? he asked, knowing he might not get a straight answer. He was curious anyway. The moonwoman came to mind; Tuulu thought they had similar energies. He wondered if being leaders of two separate packs made things difficult, though. 

Spring would be a happy time, he was sure of it, no matter who brought new pups into the world.
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
There has been no one, no, the older brother answered with a warm smile. He did not want to share his burdens on those matters with Tuuluuwaq. It was not appropriate to wallow in his own misery and then to force his youngest and dearest sibling to join him. The northerner saw no sense in such a thing.

Come, let us walk and we will talk of your plans in our village. Which trades you might pursue, Issorartuyok offered. He swung his dark face in a direction that they could journey together in. He walked alongside his brother and shared a fine conversation. When they parted after their time together, Issorartuyok still thought of his troubles. But he knew that he was grateful for his brother’s support. It could be the only thing that mattered to him.