Duskfire Glacier sinaliarpok
367 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Away
All Welcome 
Set one week after this thread.
@Issorartuyok @Lane 

A week had come to pass. Much transpired between then and this cold, overcast winter's day. Keyni had been reunited with Kukutux, the Moonwoman she so respected and called a close friend. She had been shown their temporary camp, far away from their permanent home of the Spine. Had learned of the death and famine that crippled the Tagia, stripping it of all the resident large game herds. Had caught word of Moonglows allies; Duskfire Glacier.

The nearby clan, being affiliated so closely with the one she previously ran with, was new to her. Largely unknown. But for the very reason that any friend of Moonglow was a welcome guest, the Tundrian's interest was peaked. She wanted to check out the locals of the Glacier for herself. To get to know them, as Kukutux had. It would be prudent, she reasoned, while she was still in the area.

Having not yet made up her mind if she would rejoin Moonglow as a permanent member, but still confident that she was welcome, always, at their camp, Keyni pressed on westward. Through Killdeer rest, then the Hollows, until the steely glint of the Glacier caught her eye. She took her time along the way, observing with an unusually calm sweep of what remained of the now long dead herds. Nothing but bone and rot, seeping into the melt of the snow. Too putrid even for scavengers to eat. It unsettled her deeply, seeing the proof. Though, typical as her nature, the Tundrian woman masked any turbulent emotions. At the border, she paused a ways off and called out.
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Many things had gone into their preparation to move the village. Through it all, Issorartuyok had felt his mind buzz with countless thoughts.

There was a rush of relief when the sound of a woman’s voice filled the air. The northerner turned his eye to the borders of the glacier and began a swift trot toward it. The snow upon the ground and the chill of winter at his back was enough to fill the man with happier spirits. Issorartuyok’s breath rose in plumes as he traveled across the familiar terrain.

When the man set his dark brown gaze upon a cream-coated woman, it was with interest. She had stopped outside the marking of their border, and she had called to leadership respectfully. Issorartuyok was certain that he had never seen her, not in his time traveling. With the illness in the herds, he wondered why she might have braved the uncertainty, the fear of traveling without food.

Greetings, the northerner spoke as he drew to where she was.
367 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Away
Keeping details vague until the current thread with Kukutux progresses further. <3

Shortly after she announced herself, a dark figure materialized. They trotted at a swift clip towards where she waited. She scrutinized them in the distance. The dark coat reminded her of one or two faces she hadn't seen in a long time.

As he grew closer, coming to meet her, she realized that this was a man she had never seen during her time in the Teekons. Sharp looking, composed and presentable, but a total stranger. Having yet to get a solid read on his demeanor, hers remained neutral but open. 

"Greetings to you, as well." She started off, her voice even with the constant undertone of humble, but self-assured politeness she always used. "This is Duskfire Glacier, yes? Ally to Moonglow?"
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
"Yes, we are Duskfire Glacier," a familiar voice would answer as Lane appeared behind Issorartuyok. "Hi, Keyni." Lane's smile flashed briefly, but retreated quickly under the weight of her looming responsibility. "This is Issorartuyok Tatkret," she introduced her co-alpha. "We are Duskfire's alphas."

To Issorartuyok, she explained, "Keyni and I are old friends. We were packmates for a time." As glad as she was for her friend to meet Issorartuyok, Lane had hoped that his scouting party would have been departed by now. She wondered if the delay had anything to do with Tzila's boys, and whether there had been any hesitancy on their part when they were invited to scout for a new territory for the pack. 

Lane swung her gaze back to Keyni. "I had hoped to see you at the feast with Moonglow, but we must have missed each other." Lane was glad that Keyni had taken it upon herself to stop by-- it was always nice to see an old friend looking so well.
367 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Away
Before the yet to be named man could answer her query, a familiar face appeared behind him. The flash of a tawny coat, the soot like markings under the eyes. There was no mistaking it. Lane. Her jade stare brightened, then dulled at noting the fatigue creeping at the edges of her old friends face. 

Now having a name - Issorartuyok Tatkret- to put to the face of the dark man, she nodded to them both. "Good to meet you, Issorartuyok. And Lane...it has been quite some time. You must have done well for yourself to be at the helm of your own pack." She again felt compelled to move forward, to embrace her friend in a hug. But refrained, feeling that the mood wasn't right. There was an unease in the air. A tension. And not just surrounding the matter of the herds either.

Lane said she had hoped to see her at the feast. That she must've just missed her. Dark tipped ears swiveled back slightly, followed by a small shake of her head. "I am afraid not, Lane. You see, I only just arrived back in the Teekons just a week ago. There was an incident that forced my absence from Moonglow for a while. Kukutux and I have met again. It was through she and one of her followers, that I learned of the Glacier." And of the wreckage sweeping the Tagia, left unsaid.
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Lane approached and offered insight.

The stranger was a friend, then, and someone who seemed to have spent some time traveling in the wilds. The northerner was pleased that one of Lane’s kindred spirits had found them, but he was not certain what had brought Keyni to their borders beyond this knowledge. It was not until the newcomer spoke and mentioned Moonglow that his dark ears drew to a point.

Ah, yes, yes, his voice filled the air. You are welcome, Keyni. A friend to Lane is a friend to us all. And to know that you have met the Moonwoman is good, too. Issorartuyok thought highly of Kukutux and his co-alpha. The northerner did wonder if the woman at their border was one of the wolves of Moonglow, but he was not certain he had seen her before. The scents that she carried upon her coat were too varied for him to know.

Are you of Moonglow? Their village?

The man tilted his head questioningly.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Keyni complimented Lane on her position, which from the outside would certainly seem like a commendable achievement. Keyni had no way of knowing that Lane's ascension came as a result of tragedy and heartbreak, and it hardly felt fitting to accept congratulations. 

Lane almost thought Keyni would hug her, but the moment passed quickly. Perhaps Lane's old friend could sense her discomfort with the false assumption that Lane had "done well for herself." If Lane had truly done well, Wintersbane might still be alive. Tzila, too. 

Keyni explained that she had been called away on business outside the Teekons. It seemed that both ex-Firefly Glen wolves had dealt with their share of drama in their time apart. 

Lane wanted to inquire further about the "incident" Keyni mentioned, but Issorartuyok piped up at that point, and the conversation took a turn in a different direction. Issorartuyok asked if Keyni had rejoined Moonglow, and Lane remained quiet so she might answer.
367 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Away
Issorartuyok, Lane's leadership partner, was quick to affirm that she was welcome at the Glacier, as she was indeed a friend to both females. Her dark tipped tail swayed, brushing her ankles. "Thank you. It is much appreciated." She was left with many thoughts. Many tickling little questions. The very sound and form of his name. It's nature sounded so much like that of Kigipigak's. She wondered of Issorartuyok's origins.

His question of her affiliation with Moonglow presented her with an interesting challenge in answering. She pursed her lips, licking them thoughtfully. "I have run with Moonglow for quite some time. But the incident I mentioned earlier...it forced me away from them, unexpectedly." She reclined to her haunches on the cold ground, seemingly un-worried about what she was disclosing. "The short version is, I fell ill and lost my way. Kukutux and I have now since renewed our bond." 

Her eye met Lane. Her soft facial features grew more serious. "You are tense. Something weighs heavy on your heart." She observed. "I have seen the bodies. The death. This land is barren." A sigh and a shake of her head. "I heard all about the crisis you are facing, with the herds wiped out."
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Their visitor had run with the Moonglow village for a while. It seemed that due to difficult circumstances, she had been forced to leave them. Issorartuyok wondered if she had intentions to return. The Moonwoman would surely accept Keyni back into her people, or so he thought. Then, he wondered if the newcomer had ventured to the glacier in search of a different kind of familiarity. It was nice to have wolves upon their borders, but the northern man was still hurried by their goals to relocate. He had many things weighing on his mind.

Keyni mentioned that she had noted the dying herds.

Issorartuyok nodded his head with a small frown.

There is sickness in the herds. We cannot remain here. I have been scouting in search of a new home for our village. With Lane’s help, our people have been kept safe and sound. Soon, they will have new grounds to hunt upon…

The man turned his gaze toward his co-alpha and offered her a small smile.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Lane was relieved that she wouldn't have to explain the crisis in the herd to Keyni. At least her friend would not have come to their border expecting hospitality, when there was no spare refreshment available to be offered. Of course, that begged the question of why exactly Keyni had called for them. She seemed to already be fairy well-apprised on current events.  If it wasn't food and it wasn't news, what was she seeking? 

"We lost our previous alphas recently. We just sang them into the lights a few days ago." Lane supplied this piece of information when Keyni commented on the heaviness in their spirits. The deaths on top of the herd's devastation were a depressing combination, to say the least. 

Issorartuyok spoke, mentioning his scouting. That was good news-- it sounded like the mission was already underway. Lane expected that soon Issorartuyok's travels would call him far enough from the Glacier that she would be unable to meet border-callers, but she was no stranger to fulfilling this duty on her own.
367 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Away
She nodded stiffly, silently. All too aware of the sickness. She had seen it. Smelt it. "Kukutux told me of it. I knew something wasn't right the moment I returned." The pack could not remain at the Glacier. They could not survive off of mere rabbits and voles. The caribou and elk were their staple food source. A great understanding was within her green eyes. 

Then, more news. Sad news. "I'm so sorry Lane. Issorartuyok." Her head bowed slightly, eyes fluttering shut as she breathed a sigh. One of regret. But also of acceptance. Life and death went hand in hand, even if it would appear she were not profoundly moved by it. Getting lost up in the depths of her viewpoint like that, she knew, was best reserved for another time.

"Is this then, how you came to lead the Glacier?" Her eyes pressed between the two of them, searching. Straightening her shoulders, after they had answered, she addressed something else. An idea of hers that had formed. "If you don't mind, I would like to offer my services. I will stay nearby while your scouting party heads out. And, when the time is right, I can assist in navigating to your new home. The Moonwoman is aware that I have chosen to remain adrift, for now."
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The wolf called Keyni was quite kind in her remarks. The northerner found himself pleased to be in the company of his co-alpha’s friend. It was good to have those who cared near to them. The glacier would need all its friends and all of the strength of their spirits to get through the hardship they faced. Once they had made it to the other side, Issorartuyok believed all would be at peace.

You are kind, Keyni friend to Lane. I believe my mind would be at peace, if you could remain with Lane while I am away.

The man met the sandy-colored wolf with his gaze.

Issorartuyok worried for Lane. She had appeared tired when he had left scouting with Meerkat. Now, they faced uprooting their village and moving it to a new territory. Winter had fallen upon them. Their prey was dying in masses. The man believed that having Keyni there would help her. He believed that having a friend close would mean a great deal for the times when Lane would need to be strong.

It would mean a great deal… if you could help Lane. She is strong and she has a level head. She is a good leader. The people love her. She may not need many things, but more hunters and more guardians to help her protect while we are away mean a great deal.

The northerner’s gaze drifted to Lane. Worry was etched upon his features.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
"Is this then, how you came to lead the Glacier?"

It was. Of course it was. Issorartuyok did not address the question, and neither would Lane. Neither of them enjoyed that their personal success was steeped in tragedy, and the prospect of confirming it aloud felt unbearable to Lane. 

Keyni offered services that came across as just a  little bit vague to Lane. Perhaps Keyni simply sought shelter and companionship with Duskfore Glacier, and she was looking for a way to request these things? Lane did not wish to turn Keyni away, but she just wasn't sure Duskfire could feed another hungry mouth with their stores already stretched so thinly. 

"Um.." Lane glanced to Issorartuyok, wondering what he was thinking. Perhaps sensing her hesitancy, Issorartuyok took the lead in responding to Keyni. Lane almost felt a little bashful as her co-alpha sang her praises. Aw sheesh, Issor! If she hadn't known better, she might have suspected that she had two Tatkret admirers. 

Issorartuyok gently suggested that Keyni focus on hunting and guarding tasks, which greatly appealed to Lane. She nodded along eagerly. "It would mean a great deal," she echoed. "..If you could help me hold down the border and cook up ways to stretch our food supply." Lane tilted her head in questioningly, hoping Keyni would find these tasks acceptable.
367 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Away
OOC: We can fade here.

She looked between the two wolves, attentive as always. Though she lingered on Lane a little longer. She seemed to have less suggestions than Issorartuyok had, and seemed unsure for a split second. Her left ear twitched, thoughtfully. The Tundrian had shown up un-expectedly and had not exactly said what her intentions were, long term.

The dark northerner suggested she stay here while he and his scouting party were away. Lane would not be going with them and they could use the extra help, being one adult short. Lane echoed his thoughts in agreement. She nodded, easily. "It is settled. If that is what will help you the most, then I will stay close by and assist with watching the pack. I will do what I can to procure more food." She knew a trick or two. She smiled, slightly. "I am honored that you would both trust me with such tasks."
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
It was relieving to see Lane agree. Issorartuyok breathed a soft sigh once he saw the nod of her head, glad that he had spoken well and had not said anything that would have offended her. The man believed in his co-alpha. He thought she was a good woman with a strong spirit. Lane was vital to their village’s success and their growth.

Keyni agreed, as well. She believed that she could offer some assistance in the areas that had been mentioned. Issorartuyok glanced between her and Lane for a moment before he nodded his head.

Then you are welcome, Keyni. With a small motion, the northerner gestured for her to enter their village lands.

Issorartuyok lingered quietly on Lane, grateful for her strength, grateful for her kindness. The glacier and its people were fortunate to have her.