Redsand Canyon Accepting change is quite as important as defending the past
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
All Welcome 
set after this thread.

Ruenna led @Coriander into the canyon, smiling over her shoulder at him as the looming walls came into view. The canyon was a magnificent sight to behold, especially for newcomers who had not yet before seen walls of layered reds and golds.

@Glaukos had disappeared, but Ruenna had little doubt that he was nearby, observing from one of the concealed deertrails that zig-zagged up the towering canyon walls. 

Ruenna would give Coriander the tour, hoping to run into Germanicus along the way. She wished to introduce her husband, if he was available in the canyon on this day. 

"This is the opening to the soldiers' barracks," Ruenna told him as they passed a doorway in the side of the canyon. The soldiers occupied he living quarters closest to the canyon's entry-point, so they would be immediately available to meet any incoming threats no matter the time of day or night. "You can peek in if you want." Tamar had been busy making the space cozier and less austere, but it would still maintain the rather spartan air of a room that had no purpose other than for sleeping. 

If Coriander chose to look in, he would find the room empty of soldiers. They spent their days engaged in hunting, patrols or training exercises. The only Mereoan they were in danger of intruding upon was Tamar, who often stopped into the barracks during the day to change the bedding and freshen the space.

Ruenna experiences chronic lower back pain as a result of an accident from over a year ago. She moves with a very obvious, heavy limp.
21 Posts
Ooc —
Something about the scene felt mystical to Coriander, who had woven enough fantastical tales to spot when something is pulled straight from a storybook. He was led toward a canyon of vivid layered colors that made him feel terribly small with its towering walls, alone save the pale wisp of a woman who guided him through while smiling over her shoulder.
She certainly made an excellent tour guide. He glanced into the cave and found that the inside matched his expectations. Soldiers. Coriander was intrigued by the thought despite himself; hadn't he fancied himself one of those in his youth? He'd never had any formal training, though. Only a strong sense of responsibility to keep his family safe, and all the experience that had come with that over the years.
This place is impressive, He commented, noting the lack of diversity in the scent trails here. There were only a few, but some of them spoke of strong young men. The kind of wolf one typically pictured when thinking of a soldier. Very defensible.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
They moved on from the barracks, continuing to wind their way into the heart of the canyon. 

Coriander mentioned the canyon's defensibly, and Ruenna tilted her head in curiosity. "Do tactics interest you, Coriander?" she asked, wondering once more if Coriander might be interested in the guidance Mereo could offer in honing his skills. 

"It feels good to have a home," Ruenna noted, her relief evident in her bearing. "I suppose I'm wondering why you didn't settle in Brecheliant," she admitted. Was there something else he was seeking? Something that could not to be found in the borders of peaceful, familial Brecheliant?

Ruenna experiences chronic lower back pain as a result of an accident from over a year ago. She moves with a very obvious, heavy limp.
21 Posts
Ooc —
Tactics. He could only assume she meant battle tactics. War. The thought was still invigorating, even after all this time. It brought a slight smile to his face as he answered. I was, once. Like most young boys. But I haven't thought about it in a long time; I had to put those dreams aside as I found more responsibility elsewhere, The smile dissipated as he spoke, like smoke curling and fading into the air.
I guess that's a long way of saying yes, Another flash of a smile, bittersweet this time and gone far more quickly. As for why I didn't stay with my sister — it's a long story. The short version is that my family has seen a lot of tragedy over the years. Lots of death. His heart hurt, so much that he had to pause and swallow back the sudden lump in his throat.
I guided our pack; made decisions for everyone when I had to; kept them safe. Until I couldn't anymore, and then the shame of that brought me even lower. I decided I should take a break, and my siblings agreed, so I hit the road. Finding Maia and her family was a happy coincidence — but settling down with them would feel like a betrayal, He hadn't told anyone this story in full, not even Maia. But he didn't really have to, did he? She understood, he felt. It would be nice to have a purpose again, but I can't betray my duty to the family I left by settling down without them.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
As Coriander spoke up with his story, he answered both of Ruenna's questions in a roundabout way. He had been interested in soldiering, once upon a time, but then leadership responsibilities fell onto his shoulders and he was forced to bury his desires.

"Oh, Coriander.. I'm sorry," Ruenna spoke with empathy. She knew what it was, to feel like she had failed her pack. Redhawk Caldera had only just collapsed under her leadership, after all. 

She moved forward to place her paw over Coriander's in a gesture of sympathy and solidarity. It sounded very much like he was punishing himself for a situation that was probably not even really his fault. Ruenna might have said so, but she was trying to cut back on how often she offered unsolicited advice. At any rate, it did sound like he needed a break from his old life. Perhaps he worried that if he settled in Brecheliant, he would find similar responsibilities falling onto his shoulders, and history would repeat itself. 

"I wonder if you would like to train with the auxilia here," Ruenna mused. "It might be an opportunity to serve a purpose, as well as dig up an old dream." Not to mention, it would also relieve him from the pressure to settle down when he wasn't emotionally prepared to do so. 

If Coriander was truly seeking to punish himself, there would be no better place than Germanicus's grueling training sessions.

an hour of wolves and shattered shields
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
the imperator patrolled. his wife had departed for a time and he felt it was natural that eventually he approach the front of the canyon. she was more than able to travel alone. it had been her who had come to mereo, after all. he found her scent deepening and mingled with that of an unfamiliar creature.

another two bends in the stone maze of the place and he would come upon them.

the wolf who accompanied ruenna today was built for long running and had the watchful air of someone who had been alone. the figure was most notably male however. germanicus wondered if the sensation that rose now in his breast could aptly be called jealousy.

but the sight of ruenna's paw over the larger power held by this strange man forced the feeling to grow until it resembled possessiveness. chastising himself, the imperator approached the pair with a polished gait. germanicus showed no outward sign of what his eyes had beheld. the imperator came to stand nearer to ruenna, greeting her with a softer look before turning his attention on the man.

"welcome to mereo," the eagle said quietly, expecting that his wife would introduce the two of them.