Redsand Canyon ornatus
an hour of wolves and shattered shields
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
All Welcome 
today he searched for @Malila, the girl unfit for plebian or his military.

aware that she was here on a gracious contract, the imperator was firm as he routed her out. "come with me," he would order when he had found the maiden.

germanicus intended to take her to their sparring ring. as with aquene, he would drill her and assess her skills, even if she denied that she had any.
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
When the Imperator found her, Malila heeded his command promptly. So far she had never been complacent in answering orders or summons. It wasn't about to change anytime soon. What had changed some, was her attitude. When she emerged from her den and fell into line behind him, her eyes were colder. Her silence was stiff, quite unlike her usual mild mannered self.

Clearly, she had not gotten off to a good start here. The only silver lining she found was in Aquene. She almost regretted stopping at the borders. She was even half tempted to try her luck on her own again. Following him until told to stop, she said not a word.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"i am certain that lady ruenna has told you what is expected in mereo." it was not a statement. if malila seemed more sullen than usual the eagle decided it was because she was only a starveling girl. with better food and consistent guidance, she might become more.

"today i would like to see where your skill with fighting ranks. everyone must learn to defend themselves. but if this is not something you are able to continue, then you will be sent back to the plebians."

there she would choose the second offered route or make her plans to leave.

the eagle paced to the center of the ring and nodded at malila. "attack."
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
She stopped in front of him, nodding in affirmation. "She did, yes." Falling silent again, eyes of blue and yellow watched him with little emotion as he explained why he had brought her here today. He wanted to test her fighting skills. See what she knew, or didn't know.

At this, she relaxed, only a little. "This is what I want. I've known for a long time that I've needed this." For her, Germanicus was not an easy wolf to talk to, so she would spare him any further details. Surely he did not need to hear her emotional reasoning and story behind why this was so important to her.

Ordered to attack, Malila was completely clueless as to what she was doing. Her childhood had been largely lacking in any play or sparring sessions, with the absence of her brother or any age mates. The girl had absolutely zero experience. But as with all things, she did not hesitate. Openly, she ran at him, jaws parting. She tried to grab for a shoulder or a leg, which she figured, may be a good starting point. In her eyes glimmered a plea. Teach me.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus side-stepped and tossed malila easily. she gave far too much away and an enemy would not be made afraid by her scared eyes.

"keep your chin tucked. decide what you will do before you do it," the eagle called to her across the cold red sand as he stepped back a second time.

"again," he ordered. she was a poor fighter indeed. but even the poorest could be gladiators with the proper training. and the imperator was aware he could provide this.
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Malila was indeed, a piss poor fighter. But, she was also a fast learner. Tossed aside, she rolled into the ruddy dirt, grunting. With her small frame, she was lightweight and easy to dislodge. Beside an ache in her muscles, she was undamaged as she got back to her feet.

Ears pricked, she honed in on the Imperator's instructions. Chin tucked. Think before you act. This time, she did not immediately charge him. She looked him over, how he held himself. Trying to find the best opening or angle of attack. Going for his face, she decided, was out of the question. That was the dangerous end, and she was too inexperienced. 

Slower this time, she went for him. She tucked her chin down as told. She feigned a snap at his foreleg again. In a rush of paws, she tried to skirt around from behind, to grab a haunch.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
this time malila paused — but too long. germanicus allowed her teeth to graze his foreleg. but when she moved serpentine, he whirled with her.

this time his muzzle struck down, hard, aiming between her shoulderblades.

"you are fast. do not rely only on your speed."

now the imperator rushed her, swinging his body broadshield as he often did, intending to crack against the full length of her own small frame.

no cruelty. no mercy.
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Inside her head the gears were turning, clicking. She was trying to piece every new tidbit of information together and learn from it, when corrected. Her speed, was noted. Advised not to depend on. Making a low sound of affirmation, she nodded firmly at this.

Her teeth had grazed his leg. However, she had not anticipated him spinning around with her so swiftly. That was her error, she learned. He swung his bulk at her, careening his side against her flank. She cried out, stumbling. To her credit, she did manage to keep her footing. 

The tiny flame within her began to spark and grow. She tried something, unsure of the payoff. While he was close, she swung her jaws at his shoulder, to bite down. Not wanting to take a second blow, she stepped back, turning her body out of line with his.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
malila's teeth tore through the heavier pelt of his silvered shoulder. as with aquene, germanicus brought his shoulder up in a bruising clip.

the girl spun away from him. good. she was learning. germanicus was pleased.

"defend."

he followed the momentum of her retreat with a controlled lunge, one that meant for his muzzle to end with a grasp upon the place between neck and shoulder.

there was no reprieve in war. germanicus wanted to see where her limits were.
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Her blood was pumping hotly, her muscles twitching in agony. But in the thrill of this training session, she found that she almost liked it. It was like a missing piece of a puzzle in her life that she had finally found. Happy that her teeth had hit, she got a knock to the chin. That smarted, but she only grunted, determined not to let the pain shake her focus.

No sooner had he ordered her to defend herself, and he was coming for her. Using his muzzle to strike at the soft spot between her neck and shoulder. She whirled back, in towards him this time. Recognizing that she was smaller in stature than he, she ducked down just a little. She used the said shoulder he had his eye on to try for a strike at his jaw, to set him off target. If it worked, she made to back away, out of immediate striking range, like before.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
malila took pain well. germanicus was growing more amused as their spar continued. internally he expected that she would now join the soldiers. he wished her to spar with glaukos specifically.

he snapped sideways with the intent of clipping her muzzle. when malila pulled away again germanicus too put space between them.

"know when to stay close."

germanicus snapped forward, a taut bowstring. he crowded malila, muzzle swinging for her nape. the maneuver out would be hers to plan. he wished to teach her sacrifice now.
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
With a small mouthful of dark fur, which she spat out, she hadn't expected the clip at her muzzle. She cried out, more in shock than in pain. Her first instinct was to return the blow, but Germanicus had distanced himself. The he was at her in a rush. Invading her personal bubble. Taken aback by the abruptness of his move, she was too slow to evade the clutch of his jaws around her nape.

Now in a rather difficult position, scruffed, she struggled to think. But, found that she needn't. She tried letting herself go down naturally, with the momentum. She snapped at what she could; his chest, neck or leg. Whichever was closest to her that she could reach.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
the girl dropped. her teeth scored his chest.

germanicus released her with an approving growl.

"be quick to rise. this position leaves you very vulnerable."

but their sparring today could be ended. he signalled this with a wave of his plume and stepped back, inviting malila to rise.

"you did very well for this first time. you will have much soreness for the next days."

his gaze was appraising. "when you have recovered, seek me again. tell me your decision: will you join the auxillia or will you remain a plebian?"

the question was rhetorical for now. the eagle did not want an answer.
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Malila hadn't been sure if her latest move would work or not, or if it was even the correct one. The whites of her teeth grazed his chest, sending a flicker of satisfaction through her. Then release. The session was over. She shook herself off, nodding again, to bear in mind his advice. 

Her sides heaved with her labored breathing, while she struggled to catch her breath. "Thanks. I'm...surprised I did as well as I did." She admitted, daring to even crack a thin smile. The young woman wasn't built to fight. This day would leave her with much to consider. "I will. I have some serious thinking to do." She said, obviously not totally settled on either path yet. She lingered, sitting gingerly. "What...would you advise I do differently next time? Where were my mistakes, and my strengths?" She pressed. In doing so, Malila showed she was serious about being educated. It wasn't just a spar she wanted to walk away from. She wanted knowledge, too.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
the imperator had not been prepared for a conversation quickly afterward. "you are a small girl and you will be a small woman. that is your weakness and it is permanent." 

he would allow malila to think him harsh if necessary. "what matters is that you use to utilize your increased speed against larger fighters. you have demonstrated an ability to learn this. but you give far too much away in your first attacks. do not strike until you have committed to a plan."
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Malila did think he was harsh. But she did not hold it against him. Even in her youth, she saw that it was because he needed to be. Any well disciplined general training the newest recruits had to hold nothing back. To point out errors, to expose weaknesses. All so they could be refined. Corrected. If Malila wanted to defend herself, and more so, fight, then she needed to know her strengths and weaknesses.

And, as he clarified, have a clear game plan. Her size worked against her. Her plotting was too obvious. Instead of looking dejected, she tipped her chin up in a miniscule show of pride. "I will remember that. All of what you showed me today." Moving to exit the arena, she paused, seeing if she might be dismissed. But she also inched close to place a nudge of deference at his jaw, should he allow it. "Thank you."