Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,939 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
Following the meeting, Meerkat now recognized most faces by sight, most individuals by scent. Still she sought to introduce herself to every comrade on a personal basis. Today’s endeavor led her around the shore of Glintwater Lake, weaving between the sweet-smelling pines in the general direction of the tunnel which led to the bay.

Before she reached it, she came across a mother weasel carrying a small baby in her mouth. Perhaps her den had been discovered by another of Sapphique’s wolves and she was in the middle of relocating her litter. Meerkat and the mustelid each froze, the wee kitten squirming where it dangled by the scruff.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
38 Posts
Ooc — Y2K9
Hermes could not leave the gathering faster than he did. His contained energy had filled to the brim, and he was more than ready to spill it into busywork. 
Busywork. It kept his mind silent in the weeks following the storm.
The boy marched through the tunnel, stopping to mark every so often. It was unnecessary really, but Hermes believed he was doing good for Sapphique.
Along the path towards the lake, he spotted a woman. She’d attended the meeting not too long ago, but Hermes hadn’t noticed her. He hardly noticed anyone within the crowd.
So she was a stranger then. And it was his duty to find out more of her.
You! he shouted and raised his chin high. State your name!
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,939 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
For a solid minute, they just stared at one other. But then someone shouted and Meerkat looked over to see a young wolf approaching. And when she glanced back, the weasels had vanished.

Pivoting to face the shouter, she found herself being confronted by a gangly youth painted in an earthy palette. She remembered seeing him at the meeting, standing beside an androgynous youngster the color of a stormcloud. They were younger than Njord’s offspring, though she knew next to nothing about them otherwise.

Meerkat! she announced, humoring the young guardian and raising her forepaws. Meerkat Redhawk, resident Granite. She badly wanted to ask him his own name, though she held off for the moment, waiting to see if he would interrogate her.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
38 Posts
Ooc — Y2K9
Woah. He actually got the answer he was looking for. With no fuss? That was unexpected to say the least
Ah, w-well. Meerkat Redhawk — Clearing his throat rid of some of the initial surprise. Meerkat Redhawk! And just like that he’s back to his militant attitude.
I know all the names around here and I ain’t ever heard yours. So you must be new. He paused. Right?
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,939 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
There was a distinct lack of edge to his commands, despite his bravado. It endeared her to him, though Meerkat continued playing along. She couldn’t help but think how much Towhee would approve of this youngster’s interrogation.

Right! I’ve only been here, mmm, two weeks or so? she replied. You know all the names? I’d love a list, starting with yours, Meerkat added with a bit of a cheeky smile.
38 Posts
Ooc — Y2K9
Yes, I knew it! He whispered to himself. Had he a fist he would’ve pumped it. An enthusiastic nod will do.
If it was a list she wanted, then a list he would provide. 
My name is Hermes Vael. His chest proudly puffed out. Brother of Dionysus Vael and son of — The boy’s throat ran dry in an instant. His gaze betrayed his confidence stance.
He cleared his throat again. Um well, I’m not allowed to say my dad’s names I don’t think. It’s a self made rule. And it was an excuse to avoid thinking about them.
Then there’s Erzulie and Rosalyn. I’m sure you’ve met them. This beach is theirs ‘n they got lots and lots of kids.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,939 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
He began a grand introduction, complete with his chest puffed out proudly. Meerkat found herself liking him more and more, though her smile froze when he said he couldn’t share his dads’ names. Was that one dad with more than one name or several dads? And why couldn’t he say? She was so curious.

It’s really nice to meet you, Hermes Vael, she said, trying to gauge whether he’d mind if she asked about his dads. Her counseling instincts were certainly kicking in. We don’t have to talk about this if you’re not comfortable, but do you have more than one dad? Only, I’m asking because I have two dads too, two moms as well.
38 Posts
Ooc — Y2K9
He didn’t want to talk about them. Her question did not change anything. Despite that, he spoke, albeit with a bit of hesitance. He felt this indescribable need to. It’s only out of courtesy, he told himself. Besides, the question was only surface level.
Oh yeah, I have two of them just like you. No moms though. Not even one. He’d never given that much thought, and he probably never would.
But you have two? And two dads too?? I thought everyone was supposed to have two moms or two dads n’ that’s it.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,939 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She knew—perhaps better than she really wanted—how Erzulie and Rosalyn came by their children: through donations like Njord’s. But how could a wolf not have a mother? Two men would still require a surrogate of some sort. Meerkat’s curiosity only grew, though she wouldn’t badger Hermes about it. Perhaps Njord would know a bit more about all this; she would ask him about it later.

I think you can have any number of parents, she mused, although two is pretty standard. I’m just lucky. She grinned. So, are you close to your brother? You said his name is Dionysus? Where is he today?
38 Posts
Ooc — Y2K9
Lucky? he thought, and further wondered how so. The question was on the tip of his tongue, but he swallowed it down as soon as the conversation led to his brother.
Yeah, we’re close, he confirmed with a brisk nod. Then his lips pursed and his brow furrowed. He could be anywhere for all I know. He’s always running off somewhere and I’m the one who has to chase him down. He shook his head and sighed weary breath.
You know he ran all the way to the taiga once?
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,939 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
As close as they were, he said he didn’t know of his brother’s whereabouts. Meerkat chuckled as he affectionately ranted about his sibling. She wondered if maybe Hermes was the slightly older of the two, always looking out for the wayward Dionysus. It kind of sounded that way.

That’s quite a ways, speaking as someone who’s made that trip a few times, Meerkat rejoined. Why’d he do that?

While Hermes regaled her with tales of his wayward brother, Meerkat listened attentively, though it was admittedly a little distracting when the weasel reappeared, sans her tiny offspring. The snakelike rodent began chittering at them in a fashion that Meerkat could only take to be chastising.

I think she’s in the middle of moving her babies. We should get out of her way, Meerkat said to Hermes, motioning for him to follow her and just hoping he wouldn’t be tempted to hunt the critter. If they captured her, that would kill her litter. That struck her as both counterproductive and cruel.

And maybe we can chase down your brother while we’re at it, hmm? she suggested, giving the young man a gentle poke as they moved away.

Wrapped this for us. :)