Duskfire Glacier holding the matches
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Lane tipped back her muzzle and called for @Issorartuyok, trying to keep her anxiety from her voice as she lifted it up. She did not even know if her co-alpha had returned yet, although several of the kids had been back for a while now-- Veteran included. Perhaps Issorartuyok had dropped the kids off off and then departed for Rivenwood's hunting grounds, needing a heavy meal after the long scouting expedition. Lane knew that she was always famished herself when returning from a long trip. Salmon eggs, berries, carrion, and small game would not have cut it, and unfortunately that's all that the Duskfire wolves had left to survive upon. 

She had heard nothing from @Tuuluuwaq and the group she had sent to help Rivenwood, and this drove her absolutely crazy with worry. Her chest ached for every minute she had to spend separated from Tuuluuwaq, wondering about his safety. She had kicked herself over and over for sending him, even though he was the best person for the job objectively speaking. 

@Druid was gone. Lane supposed that the Rivenwood girl could not stand waiting around for a verdict any longer, and Lane understood that intimately. Lane only wished the girl would return with news.. and so she could have her bandages refreshed, of course...
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Lane’s call reached him and pulled him from his tasks.

Issorartuyok had spent a great deal of time in preparing their people to move, in keeping the stocks of prey as full as he could manage. They did not have their caribou, or the deer, but he had found several rabbit warrens. The northerner was worn to the bone from the efforts of their relocation. He had many things that weighed upon his mind, but none of them stopped him from turning in the direction of his fellow leader’s voice and setting a brisk pace toward her.

When Issorartuyok drew near, he lifted his head to the woman and offered a gentle smile. It was good to see her. He remembered the words his brother had shared with him – Tuuluuwaq sought to court Lane. The eldest Tatkret wondered if that meant there would not be a place for him, when the time came for them to make a family. Would Tuulu not suit the role of a co-Alpha better than Issorartuyok?

Lane, I believe we should be ready to depart soon. Have you seen the young ones yet? They were strong and good in the journey. You should be proud of your son Veteran, and of your daughter Wayfarer.

The northerner stood awkwardly, waiting to hear what she had to say.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
"I am proud of them. Thank you for keeping hem safe." Issorartuyok's words were a reminder of what was most important. As anxious as she felt now, she knew it would be so much worse if the safety of her children was also in question. 

"I agree. It's time to go," she voiced. Their stores were depleted, and what they did have left was bad on their tongues and worse in their stomachs. 

"It's only.. something's happened," she admitted. God, she was sick of being the bearer of bad news. "Rivenwood suffered an attack recently. I sent a group of wolves out to help them when I got word-- @Tuuluuwaq was in charge, and I told him to take @Kigipigak, @Keyni, and @Ensio. I still haven't heard back from them. Not even Ensio, who was supposed to be the message runner." If the adults were needed to stay and assist the wounded, or if there was any sign of danger, Ensio was supposed to come back and report the news. 

Where were their packmates? Were they okay? Lane was incredibly anxious, especially since it had been her decision to send the scouting group instead of going herself. If anything had happened to them, it was ultimately on her.
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The man bowed his head to her. He did not believe he could have returned if harm had come to her children. Issorartuyok thought highly of young Veteran. He had grown fond of the boy. The young defender had a way of bringing happiness with him, on every word that he spoke. Each adventure that the dark young man embarked on was met with determination and kindness. The northerner did not think it was possible to be any less proud of what Veteran had accomplished. Seeing Wayfarer take on tasks in her own way had been rewarding, as well.

When Lane spoke of something that had happened, Issorartuyok grew somber. The weight inside his chest was suffocating. The man’s dark eyes locked with Lane’s.

Rivenwood had been attacked.

Issorartuyok thought immediately of Heda. He wondered if she had gone back, gone to see her family. Fear spiked inside of him. He would not have her harmed. He would not stand to see the young woman injured. Lane’s words only grew more dire. Ensio had gone to Rivenwood. They had not come back. The northerner could not hear past the beating of his heart within his ears. Had Tuuluuwaq been bested?

I must go search for them.

Issorartuyok could feel the words fighting to be spoken. He could not hold the lump in his throat down.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Lane nodded, fighting the instinct to resist sending yet another wolf she cared for off to whatever uncertain fate awaited in Rivenwood. Of course Issorartuyok felt he had to go-- Tuuluuwaq was his little brother, after all. 

"I don't know how far they got... I don't even now how many of them ended up going. I..." Lane gritted her teeth. "I haven't been able to really keep tabs on everyone's comings and goings, with all the scouting efforts going on, and distant hunting parties, and the visitors.." Her words sounded very much like she was admitting to failure, and she hated it, but she she knew she could be honest with Issorartuyok. And she honestly didn't know who was here, and who wasn't here anymore...

...Except for Meerkat. Meerkat definitely wasn't here. Her departure had been amicable, but very certain. Lane knew she would have to tell Issorartuyok that Meerkat had left, but.. maybe not right this moment?
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The weight in his chest only grew as Lane continued to speak. She talked as though she had failed her people, had done something to cause the travesty that had met their village. The northerner looked to her with concern on his dark face. The brown of his eyes was stricken with worry, but he did not wish to leave her without some show of comfort.

Tuuluuwaq arrived in his mind again. The words his brother had shared about seeking to court Lane caused the man to feel uncertain. He had already upset one of the women in the glacier. He did not feel that it was wise to risk it again, to be forward with his words.

Lane you have done well. These are terrible times for our village, but you have been a good leader to them. You are still. You are adored by your people. I can only hope to be as good, one day.

The man’s voice was rough, but he spoke honestly.

Issorartuyok breathed a sigh through his nose. He wondered if making his home with the people of the glacier had been a wise choice. Once, his future had looked so promising. With tragedy licking at their heels, the northerner could not help but feel that he was to blame – for all of it, but most of all for his own suffering.
604 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Medic
Ambassador
Ranger
Issorartuyok was kind to offer his words of comfort, especially when it was so easy to tell that he was eager to be off once more. However, there was a hint of self-depreciation in his praise, particularly as he noted that he hoped to be as good as Lane "one day." 

"You already are as good, Issorartuyok. Better, even." There had never been any doubt as to who between them was the trueborn leader. "If I am adored--" Lane wasn't sure she would have used that word herself, but so be it-- "It's because they know me. I've been here. 'Still,' as you put it. You've been doing really good work for our people, but it's been out of sight. Maybe sometime soon, we can switch roles.. and I'll do some scouting while you hold down the fort." 

A wry smile found her expression. There was irony in her suggestion, given that Issorartuyok was about to dash off again. "Bring our people back safe. Once they're all together--" Wait, wasn't there a word for that..? "--Once they're atautsikut, then.. then we'll talk more about how we're going to lead them." 

Lane fell quiet. She dipped her forehead to give him an encouraging bump on his shoulder.
389 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The man did not want to argue with Lane. He did not agree with the words that she shared, though. It was clear that the people of their village saw true strength in her leadership. Issorartuyok had been a fine addition, but not one that they would seek for their problems.

It was not the time to debate these matters with her. The northerner simply bowed his head and splayed his ears. There was a burning in his throat that was difficult to swallow.

Yes, I will remain in the village once we have found our home. My paws no longer seek to travel. I wish to grow the strength from within, he agreed with her on that, at least. It must have been difficult for Lane to remain behind in the glacier while their prey was dying off and the village starved.

I will return swiftly.

Issorartuyok bowed his head and departed without another word. He wondered if Lane’s approval of him had been earned, or if it was merely a show of her kindness.