Blackwater Islands You’ve got your powdered lies
"YOU WAKE UP IN THE DARK AND HEAR THE SCREAMING OF THE LAMBS..."
376 Posts
Ooc — Malia
Warrior
All Welcome 
Forward dated a few days from their last thread! <3
@Arashi

The brindled brute has been thinking about his most recent fight. The one with the would-be-Saintsman. The older wolf was strong, fierce even. Sure, Alduin was pissed he basically got his ass whooped, but despite his anger he is able to recognize skill. That man has it. Alduin wants more. More what? Abuse? Bruises and injuries? Maybe. But he also wants a sparing partner with just as much skill or more skill than him, for he is still young and he still has more to learn (as his father used to say after their spars). 

So Alduin would walk this way and that way, lowering his a black tipped nose to the ground and raising it up in the air to catch the man’s scent he knows well by now (he stunk like him for a solid day after their brawl). 

Eventually he would catch it, be it on the wind or on the ground, and he would follow it obsessively. Though his leg hurts like a bitch, (and he’s walking with a moderate limp now) that doesn’t mean he can’t battle or train more. He just has to push through the pain — it makes him stronger after all. 

When he finds him, his bloodied gaze would zero in on the agouti man like the predator he is. Instead of vigorously attacking him like his silly brain is trying to tell him to, he would saunter over to him just as confident as he was before. Though this time he holds his head high, different from his usual resting position even with broad shoulders. Stopping a comfortable distance away Alduin would finally speak.

“You.” He says, still unaware of his name. “I want you to teach me all you know. I want to train with you.” Comes his deep, Smokey timbre. His words would almost come out as an order, but not as forceful as one.
[Image: dezcpd0-1faedfae-e3b1-4dc1-b270-4056322a...TmEKLfHlyM]
239 Posts
Ooc — Heretic

Arashi had little to busy his mind. Since the day of his squabble with Alduin, the many wounds he carried had slowly begun to heal. There would be permanent scars, but it wasn't like he already had them. 

Even when sore and tired, muscles needed to be kept moving; to be kept strong. The hound had been aimlessly wandering the beaches of the isle. A sudden voice, however, forced the return of his attention.

"You." Well, well. Speak of the devil himself.

The man with agouti tones turned, tail lashing outward briskly. He too held his head high. 

I am not a 'you'. My name is Arashi. Learn it. Remember it. Use it in the future. So Alduin wanted a mentor, eh? First, he would need to be taught what it meant to respect a teacher — starting by knowing of what title to address him.

There was a part of him that doubted the boy's sincerity. Did he truly wish to learn, or was this game to seek revenge for his loss?

Why is it that you come to me now? Days ago you would have liked to see me dead; to see my blood bathe the grounds on which you walk. What makes today different? Arashi was stern and cold, but he truly meant what he asked. If the boy really had the desire to learn, then perhaps he would get what he wanted. 

376 Posts
Ooc — Malia
Warrior
The second Alduin gets one word out to him, he’s turning around and glaring right back at him. Tail level with the horizon, Alduin’s eyes shift over to the fluffy limb then back to the other’s eyes. His own expression is set in a scowl and it only deepens when he’s finished talking and the hound begins speaking.

I am not a 'you'. My name is Arashi. Learn it. Remember it. Use it in the future. He spits at Alduin like he’s some sniffling kid. Which only makes Alduin scoff in reply. At least he knows the bastard’s name now. Not that he was going to care to learn it.

Only he continues, Why is it that you come to me now? Days ago you would have liked to see me dead; to see my blood bathe the grounds on which you walk. What makes today different?

At that the corners of Alduin’s lips tense, as if he’s about to smile. His eyes are still dark, but his scowl is less present. Rather his eyes shine with muted amusement and he’s barking out a humorless laugh — rasping and rough.

“Today is not different, Arashi.” Alduin rumbles, practically spitting his name. “But I can see you have skill. I want to learn how to fight bigger opponents that don’t hold back. Simple.”
239 Posts
Ooc — Heretic

The boy's eyes resembled its own snarl, far before the time when the sound itself could be revealed. It never did, much to the hound's surprise. 

This was a game alright; though, it wasn't quite the type Arashi had surmised. 

There is only a laugh, replacing the opportunity for the boy to lash out against the harshly presented speech. A crude sound — a shrill echo that threatens to burst his eardrums. If it weren't for their current circumstances, he may have even been tempted to challenge a rematch, regardless of the fact he had been the triumphant.

You laugh; yet, I see nothing amusing. You really want to know how to defeat an enemy? Take things more seriously. That spar before was a joke to you.. this conversation is a joke to you.. I am a joke to you. When will you get it through that puny little brain of yours? You continue to gamble your life as if it means nothing. Perhaps if you spent less time trying to drive others as mad as yourself, you may learn to open your eyes and use more sense than your thirst for blood. Lesson number one.

376 Posts
Ooc — Malia
Warrior
Arashi does not find this amusing. How unfortunate. Alduin clearly does though. Alduin has quickly realized he likes riling him up and watching him go. It’s clear he has no sense of humor and that’s really saying something if it’s coming from the king of dry ass humor himself. Alduin doesn’t find many things terribly funny, but he does find things mildly amusing

Only when the other male goes on his rant, it becomes more and more clear that he does not find Alduin amusing in the slightest. Alduin listens to every single word though — attentively so. He shows his adapt listening skills by cupping spotted ears forward and never breaking eye contact. He speaks of respect, so Alduin would only give him enough to run with, only to rope his feet and yank him onto his side at the very last second.

One sentence really stands out to the hellhound though, You continue to gamble your life as if it means nothing.

Alduin doesn’t want to laugh, but he has to. This man doesn’t know anything about him and that is very clear. So he would release a huff of breath from his nose, a noise that could be considered a laugh (albeit a small one).

No one’s life means anything.” He’d answer back. “It doesn’t matter how one views things. It will not affect them from achieving victory.” 

His father, Kynareth, is a great example. The man never fucking takes anything seriously. Always has to make a joke about something and yet he is the greatest warrior he knows. Though his humor is sickening and dark (and rather goofy at times) he has never met a man who has killed so many in his six years of living. It’s truly impressive to Alduin — an inspiration. 

Still, Alduin will throw the old dog a bone.

“Fine then, you want me to open my eyes?” He questions with a pinch of sarcasm. “Then show me. Teach me. Maybe I’ll just learn something from your mad rambling.”
239 Posts
Ooc — Heretic

Alduin listened, yes, but there was still doubt clinging onto Arashi. The boy would say he was sincere, but he still did not take it seriously. He continued to not take the hound seriously, which would later leave him rotting in a pit he couldn't climb out of.

So that is what you choose to believe? Tell me, then: if, the other day, you would have died — what would the entirety of your life have meant? Nothing? Wrong.

From what I can gather of your recent mannerism, you crave to kill and for the purpose of this "Listener". You are her puppet, and she is your master. The recent time of your life has been spent doing her biding. You have been growing to know war, blood, chaos; and nothing but. That is the definition of your life. That is what your life has meant. See the difference, or must I elaborate more? Lesson number two.

There was only a brief pause before Arashi continued; hardly enough time was given to reply. Alduin could not answer. Not yet. He needed to hear it all.

The only reason you continue to tell yourself that a life means nothing is so that you will feel nothing when you take it. Is it that knowing a life had purpose would haunt you once you've stripped away the soul it clings to? Do you fear to know who and why you have killed? Is it just better to see a blank figure, to then dismember?

Let that sink in. His mind crooned, pupils dilating as they searched. He watched for any hint of reaction or hesitation that could have insinuated what of it he said was true.

376 Posts
Ooc — Malia
Warrior
So that is what you choose to believe? Tell me, then: if, the other day, you would have died — what would the entirety of your life have meant? Nothing? Wrong.

Alduin squints his eyes at him slightly. What’s he getting at? Is he trying to teach Alduin the meaning of life? Or maybe the value of it? Alduin doesn’t want that. He wants to learn how to take a life — how to steal it. Still, the question begs an answer in his own mind. What if he would’ve died the other day? Well. Would Alduin really care? He’d have been dead. He would’ve been stuck in Banesteppe’s unyielding grasp no matter what happens to his forsaken soul. So, in conclusion, Alduin still does not care if he dies — despite how grim it sounds. Though he does not actively seek death, he actually believes he cannot die. For the only way for him to do so is if Banesteppe permits it. 

Yet, here Alduin is trying his hardest to be polite and respectful and not interrupt. So he remains silent.

Only then he speaks of his Shadow and that’s when Alduin listens to every single word. He speaks of Alduin being her puppet and she the master. He can’t completely disagree. Nor does he disagree with the following words either…

You have been growing to know war, blood, chaos; and nothing but. That is the definition of your life. That is what your life has meant.

This is true. He has been taught nothing else besides it. Especially by his father. This is all he knows. This is what he was born for — war and chaos. To be the reaper in living form. And now with Banesteppe’s presence it (along with his mental state) has only gotten worse.

He carries on after a brief pause and that’s when shit really gets deep. His words are meaningful, but Alduin cannot relate to them. They are powerful, but the hellhound does not reap their benefits. For he has been taught that life means nothing when taking it from another since he could walk. 

To him, another’s life truly means nothing

For only those lives he cares about mean something to him. Even then, the meaning of life there and the purpose of it is lost to him.

During all of this his face would stay remotely neutral, besides the occasional squint of his eyes or furrowing of his brows in an attempt to see from his point of view. He would even take a moment to contemplate said words, really taking them all in and thinking about it. He doesn’t shift his eyes from the other man’s own the entirety of the time either, noticing how his pupils blow wide at the end of his speech. He meets his calculating stare and hums low in his throat, a sound of contemplative acknowledgment.

“War, blood, and chaos is the definition of my life. You are right.” He states. “I hope it remains that way. Peace is too quiet for my wandering, sick mind.” His Smokey voice is low. He knows what he is and he knows what’s wrong with him, but this man doesn’t know half of the fucked up shit about him — especially the entity that hangs on his shoulder with a chain lead around his neck. 

“It is not the listener I am a slave to. It is something else entirely. Something — someone — much worse.” His voice would adopt a grim tone to it — a dark one.

“As for my outlook on another’s life you are wrong. I do not tell myself anything to make it easier to steal another’s life. I don’t have to. I feel nothing. I have no sympathy for them. Because of this I have no fear of taking their life. I am meant for this. Born for this. A slave to this. And I remain so until I die.” He is deathly serious as he says this. If this man wants to know more about him, then so be it. 

For all he has told him is true. He does not feel anymore. He doesn’t care what happens to those he kills or maims. He doesn’t care if their loved ones weep at the loss. He doesn’t have empathy for them. He is a selfish beast. He likes to watch the flame snuff out behind their eyes. He is a monster and he’s convinced nothing in this world could convince him otherwise. So he might as well hone his skills to become unkillable. To become a worthy opponent and deal death to those that toy with it.
239 Posts
Ooc — Heretic

Holy crap that was a lot of dialogue... LOL. So sorry for the headache.

Each had their turn to listen and talk. Points were made; accepted or denied. 

Arashi then had a new mind; a different view of the boy. Though he couldn't quite put a foot down on what,.. it was there.

I understand where you come from. I know what it means to be taught to feel nothing, to be driven to kill and crave the sensation. If it was what you used to believe, that I am a Saint? Don't. I've taken more lives than I can count and done so on the behalf of those who bade me do so. It was the hope that, in this, Alduin would find some sense of similarity, rather than continue to assume that they were so different. 

You say you feel no sympathy, nor fear. This can come as an advantage. It makes it easier to kill without caring; but, it can also get you into a lot of trouble. If you become so blind and ruthless towards death, you may end up killing the wrong people. And no, I don't mean this by way of morals and justice. I say "the wrong people as in those who will hunt you down and won't stop until you are dead. The hound gave a short pause, studying Alduin to see if he was truly listening or paying fake regard to his words.

You act as though you aren't afraid to die. If it is your time, it is your time... Arashi shook his head slightly, blinking before returning a cold gaze upward. Don't think like that. You've made it clear that chaos and blood is your fate — your future. You won't have a future if you're dead; will you? Remember what I said before about being a puppet? Have a mind in regards to that concept: puppet and puppeteer. What would be more beneficial to them? You staying alive to be their executioner, or being dead? Then again, if you prefer to be dead... then, by all means, continue on spreeing in baths of blood as you please.  

With this, I only intend to teach you to pay some form of regard to the enemies you make. Where you think you may have only made one, you could have made 100 more. Families grow tighter, as does allies and friends. Kill one and you'll have to kill them all before you're free of the noose they've knotted for you, and you alone. 

By now, the encounter had drug itself on so long that Arashi's feet had become sore. It was only with the silence that the hound realized that he was still standing. Thus, he would allow himself to rest a bit, lowering over his quarters before continuing.

I will teach you to fight; enemies both big and small. I will teach you to see weakness and use it to your advantage; but, only if you truly admit to understanding what I have just said. I did not relay that entire speech just for you to shrug it off like it meant nothing. There is a reason I told you — the reason being that I once made the same mistake and almost lost my life for it. And unlike you, I care to live. Also, one more thing... if I am to be your mentor, you will treat me as such. I don't give a shit what your rank says or who you answer to. What I teach won't be free. I won't be tossed around like a bag of bones by you or anyone else on this forsaken island. You will respect me and listen to every word I tell you. If you don't, I'll walk away like this conversation never happened and you can either learn from someone else, or screw up and get yourself killed. Is this understood? Nostrils flared as the question was spat out before the boy. Arashi didn't even need a "yes" or "no". By body language alone, it would be known which the boy would choose. Even a single sign of dismissal and the man would walk away with no further use here.

376 Posts
Ooc — Malia
Warrior
LMAO no not a headache at all I love your writing <3

I understand where you come from. I know what it means to be taught to feel nothing, to be driven to kill and crave the sensation. If it was what you used to believe, that I am a Saint? Don't. I've taken more lives than I can count and done so on the behalf of those who bade me do so. 

Alduin would listen dutifully as he speaks and tilts his chin up slightly at his words. Not in defiance, but to the fact that the two may just be able to relate to something. Perhaps they aren’t so different after all, it’s just their big, dumb, male egos that keep making them butt heads.

Still, the other man continues to speak strongly and Alduin continues to listen…

His next points are good ones. Alduin will admit to having experience by making many enemies out of one. His father mainly. The man makes enemies faster than he makes friends and his carefree and I-don’t-give-a-fuck nature is mainly why. Alduin though, he just remains unseen — unheard. He blends into the night, only travels when it rains — he takes precautions. He doesn’t have the want or need to interact with those outside his circle unless it is necessary for a mission. While his father usually likes to do everything himself and use his strength against most — Kynareth’s mouth got him in trouble much more often then his actions did.

So Alduin would file those words away for later. He would heed his word in that regard. Alduin nods his head to show this, his eyes hard with interest — with understanding. 

He goes on about the puppet and the puppeteer metaphor. Sayin Alduin shouldn’t be so frivolous about the idea of whether he dies or not. Making a point by sayin he’s more use to his puppeteers if he is alive. Sadly, he isn’t wrong there, but Banesteppe wouldn’t give a rats ass if he were to die tomorrow. Shit, after everything, that entity will probably be the one who kills him. So, therefore, the hellhound isn’t so sure if he will be able to change Alduin’s mind in that regard, but it doesn’t seem to be his main focal point.

Eventually, Arashi lowers his haunches to the ground and Alduin follows suit. His sitting stance, wide and dominant by nature. Though his head is in more of a relaxed position, slightly hung from his shoulders but upright enough for it to be obvious he’s still listening.

I will teach you to fight; enemies both big and small. I will teach you to see weakness and use it to your advantage; but, only if you truly admit to understanding what I have just said.

At that, Alduin would nod once in approval, but doesn’t do anything else while he listens.

Also, one more thing... if I am to be your mentor, you will treat me as such. I don't give a shit what your rank says or who you answer to. What I teach won't be free. I won't be tossed around like a bag of bones by you or anyone else on this forsaken island. You will respect me and listen to every word I tell you. If you don't, I'll walk away like this conversation never happened and you can either learn from someone else, or screw up and get yourself killed. Is this understood?

Though Alduin could do without the man’s attitude, he understands his desire not to be disrespected by their fellow pack mates. Alduin requires the same thing and he only gives respect to those who offer him their own respect. 

So finally Alduin would speak, his eyes never leaving the others own. “Understood,” He would say deeply, “if I respect you, then I expect the same of you.” That’s the hellhounds only stipulation: mutual respect.
239 Posts
Ooc — Heretic

Alduin listened intently. This allowed some form of contentment for the hound.

"Understood." The boy eventually crooned, tone deep and full of what was assumed to be sincerity.

Then, "if I respect you, then I expect the same of you." It seemed fair, surely.

Such can be agreeable. However, should you come to break these terms, you will later reap what you've sown. I can be a fair man, but towards those that betray my trust and go against me.. they'll have hell to pay until I'm satisfied.

376 Posts
Ooc — Malia
Warrior
Alduin would nod easily, almost casually to his words and finally stand. Perhaps they might just get along, but the other wolf seems just as insufferable as Alduin seems to him. He will see how long it lasts. Though Alduin may try not to catch his ire, it seems it is easy to catch. They will have to see.

So Alduin hums out an affirmation. “Then it is settled. We will start tomorrow.” He suggests. Or even today if tomorrow does not settle well enough for the brute.
239 Posts
Ooc — Heretic

This will be the last from me. I'd say it went rather well for them. Looking forward to see what comes out of all this! ^-^

"Then it is settled. We will start tomorrow."

There he went. Taking the lead, as always. Wasn't that meant to be Arashi's responsibility?

He should have added a few words in retortion, but decided to keep his mouth shut. A simple grunt would be enough to display the displeasure.

Don't be late. The hound muttered with a flick of his tail. 

Not another word was uttered. Arashi gave a brief, second grunt before turning and stalking away.

376 Posts
Ooc — Malia
Warrior
EEE same I’m excited! Thank you for the fire thread! <3

The man grunts out his displeasure, but tells him not to be late anyway. To which Alduin hums out a sound of acknowledgment.

“Wouldn’t dream of it.” He says with a touch of his usual sarcastic humor. 

Despite his outward show of not being entertained by him, he finds him fun to rile up. Still, he would wonder how this would turn out tomorrow anyhow. 

With that he would walk away to do whatever Alduin does. Slightly anticipating how tomorrow might go.