Lion Head Mesa I never can quite seem to pull my weight
Riverclan
NPC
909 Posts
Ooc — Teo
All Welcome 
The dark figure moved slowly through the halls of the mesa. He was not sure if his pace had been decided because of the weakness in his leg, or if it was the fact that he dreaded going to visit the Pharaoh. As Crowfeather trudged through Akashingo, he kept his head low, and his eyes averted from any who might pass him by. The shadow had grown used to being by himself. Even Gucci had been absent. And why should they want to speak to him anyway?

As the dark figure stepped into the Pharaoh’s throne room, he was breathless and tired. It was the furthest that he had ventured on his own without the aid of someone else. Crowfeather could feel his pulse quicken in his throat. His tongue felt fat in his mouth. He lingered for several seconds until he had managed to gather himself and collect his breath.

Pharaoh, I- I’ve come to see you as you asked.

The shadow’s golden honey eyes looked to @Ramesses.
Ghost
1,354 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Therapist
Rogue
"welcome, prince." ramesses motioned to belen. she began to create a quick pallet for crowfeather, and when she was finished, motioned that he should sit. only the delight in her eyes spoke for now; the girl was pleased to be included.
she stood back as pharaoh seated himself and regarded the seer. "akashingo has its first successful expansion in mereo. we have allies in brecheliant." before the man were several stones. the largest represented the mesa. the smaller two were the emblems of the outpost and the fen pack.
"ursus. brecheliant. redhawk caldera. and now the druids. that is four kingdoms and i am certain there are others." ramesses lifted his lapis eyes to crowfeather. "i meant for sabah to head my designs. but it will fall to you. i would like to develop north, toward the lake and the meadow. there is a woman here. maegi. she and i once lived together upon an island. she has come here to akashingo not only for respite but because she seeks her homeland. she says it is very close."
"i want you to speak with her and see if its claiming might be overseen. if she is amenable, spend your days together. she must have a map within her mind of her own birthplace."
ramesses was silent, allowing crowfeather to mull over all he had said.
Riverclan
NPC
909 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The prince did not like how Belen fussed to make a place for him. He watched her, anxious. The dark figure thought of the short amount of time they had spent together. Even when the young woman pulled back to show him his seat, Crowfeather looked to her nervously. He took the spot she had made and muttered a quiet word of thanks to the girl.

Ramesses did not spare any time before diving into his plans. He spoke of their allies. Crowfeather listened, surprised that Akashingo had managed to make friends out of so many of the other clans. Of course, he did not ask questions or make comments while the Pharaoh spoke. The shadow only listened quietly, swiveling the dark ears atop his head as new information was provided to him.

The Pharaoh wanted Crowfeather to oversee the claim that might be made on Maegi’s homeland.

Nervousness bubbled within him. How had he traded one role of importance for another?

Where was Germanicus?

I will speak to her and ask her of her plans. You wish for this to be another branch of Akashingo? Or just another alliance? Crowfeather spoke with a heavy weight on his words. He did not understand what the Pharaoh could see in him. The seer had never been given such an important task before.
Ghost
1,354 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Therapist
Rogue
"well i suspect that the roman does not practice our ways in the sunspire," ramesses said lazily, unwittingly echoing the seer's own thoughts upon germanicus. "i would not expect it of maegi either, only a promise to support her claim in exchange for marriages between the children of akashingo and those of her own land."
"jawahir has not yet returned." pharaoh was thoughtful. "the jewel must be encumbered. perhaps by another wolf." time had dragged on and no word of the wife for the boy. ramesses trusted jawahir but he was himself impatient.
"maegi is someone with a good knowledge of darker plants. it would be a benefit to both our homes if the knowledge was shared."
he sat back and watched crowfeather with the expression of an indulgent cat.
Riverclan
NPC
909 Posts
Ooc — Teo
At the mention of Germanicus, Crowfeather’s heart leapt to his throat. His eyelids fluttered over his golden gaze. He did not want to show it. He wanted to take the Roman’s words to heart and conceal his emotions away from those with prying eyes. Ramesses did not seem to care about the reactions his words might cause. He continued to talk of his plans.

The Pharaoh wanted the children of Akashingo to be paired with those of Maegi’s claim. Crowfeather struggled with this concept. His mind still lingered on Germanicus, on his face, his lamplight yellow eyes, the sound of his voice. The seer knew that he should pay attention. He was being given a task. He did not know how poorly Ramesses would respond if it was not followed perfect. Crowfeather was not eager to discover, either.

I will speak to the lady Maegi. I will learn what she knows of dark plants and bring that knowledge here… perhaps I will arrange for her to teach Tavina? Crowfeather tilted his head to the Pharaoh, wondering if this was at all appealing. As for Jawahir, the seer was not certain what he might say. He did not know why it was important if the jewel returned promptly or not. He had almost forgotten about his promise to meet with the woman who was arranged as a wife for him.

If Jawahir does not return?
Ghost
1,354 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Therapist
Rogue
ramesses nodded. "now you are speaking as a prince." pleased with the development of these events, he leant back and thought of jawahir. "my jewel will return. jawahir enjoys the travel. the roaming. wild in spirit, that one." the embrace of the hebsut was sorely missed. but this did not show upon his face.
ramesses pinned crowfeather with a long look. "germanicus will return. he is in the employ of akashingo and can be recalled whenever there is a need."
was there?
a pause followed. pharaoh went on. "there is also the matter of your betrothal. you are a seer. do you know what it means to find an auspicious date?" the astrologers worked with the priests in his homeland; here it may well be different. 
the cruelest part of ramesses wished to invite germanicus for this alone; to end he and crowfeather once and for all.
Riverclan
NPC
909 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The shadow’s ears splayed atop his head at the man’s words.

Even in the Starsea, Crowfeather had never been much of a prince. He did not know how he might grow to be one under the rule of Ramesses. He was not certain that he liked the idea of the mesa’s ruler teaching him how to be a true royal. It made him feel uncomfortable in the worst ways.

When Germanicus was mentioned again, Crowfeather’s ears drew to a point. He could be summoned if it was needed. The shadow did not wish to tell Ramesses that he wanted the older man back in the mesa. He did not have a viable reason for it, not beyond the incessant thrumming of his heart and the aching in his chest. So, Crowfeather nodded his head in understanding.

At the mention of his betrothal, the shadow felt his hairs rise creepingly along his neck.

I- I said that I would meet with her. I do not wish to set a date until I have determined if she is- if she- he was growing afraid.

If she is suitable for me. Crowfeather wished that he could have been more daring.
Ghost
1,354 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Therapist
Rogue
ramesses laughed aloud but this time he did not press crowfeather. "i have no argument with that. i trust jawahir's judgement but perhaps you have not seen the jewel's work." or any work, for that matter, any pleasant task. he knew enough to be aware that crowfeather had not yet called sayyadina to his bed.
so he remained a chaste virgin. and presumably the hebsut was not returning with an experienced woman, but a suitable bride. "akhtar, our new priest, practices atop the mesa. he is a holy man and you might find his company rather grounding."
and yet even the sacred wolf had fallen between belen's pretty charm.
it turned to sport silently in pharaoh's mind, seeking who might fell crowfeather first and prepare him for the wedding night that would surely come.
"what shall we speak of next? or shall we dine, prince?"
Riverclan
NPC
909 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The man’s laugh startled Crowfeather, but he did what he could not to flinch or shy away from it. He would prefer the Pharaoh stay pleasant and cheerful, if he had to have Ramesses for company. A pathetic smile was forced onto his dark and narrow snout.

The Pharaoh moved on to speak of a man who had made a home for himself within the mesa’s boundaries. He was described as a holy man – a priest – and it was suggested that Crowfeather seek him out to be grounded by his words. The shadow was not sure that was what he wanted. He did not think that his head existed in the clouds, not nearly as much as it had before he had left the Starsea.

We can talk… or- or eat. I think I could do both.

Crowfeather awkwardly cleared his throat.

What was your home like? Like here? Have you carried it with you?
Ghost
1,354 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Therapist
Rogue
a gesture to belen. she disappeared and reappeared with tavina. both bore meats of at least two kinds, and these were arranged upon an eating-mat before crowfeather's seat. ramesses reclined opposite akashingo's reluctant prince and smiled.
the physician departed.
belen returned to her place in the corner of the room, ready if she was called upon again. her eyes rested once upon the dark shoulders of the prince but she glanced away swiftly when ramesses glanced in her direction.
he smirked. curious.
"i was always a prince. always destined for this. but where snow falls outside our lands, none falls in the place of my birth. i have brought my gods and my language to this place. my children will be reared and educated as i was. their existence carries forth my lineage, which in turn was given to me by my father."
he leaned forward to pluck a piece of rabbitflesh. pharaoh chewed thoughtfully. "the queen has her own influence here. she speaks a different tongue. i want our children to learn her ways as well. it is good to be well-rounded; it means that my daughters will be expectant of a royal treatment when it is time for them to leave akashingo."
Riverclan
NPC
909 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The dark figure watched Belen hustle about, arranging them a place to eat with the woman who had tended to his wounds. Crowfeather did not much like how they fussed. It made him uncomfortable in ways that he couldn’t fathom, couldn’t place in his mind. When Belen had taken her place in the corner of the room, her eyes upon him, the shadow felt his ears fall flat – apologetic. Crowfeather did not see the smirk that played on Ramesses’ face.

When the Pharaoh spoke of his childhood, it was to say that it was very much like the place he had formed on the mesa. Crowfeather eyed him curiously. He spoke of gods and the legacy of his father. There were only bits and pieces that the dark figure could truly understand for himself. It seemed like a world that was vastly different from the one he knew.

Ramesses spoke of Satsu in a way that was surprising to Crowfeather. He said that her culture and tongue would be honored, too. The seer did not voice his disbelief, only because he was not sure it was grounded upon anything. He was also certain that he did not want to stick around to find out if the Pharaoh was true to his word.

It’s good that your children will be cared for that way, the shadow commented quietly. He picked at a piece of meat. Satsu seems like she- like she really cares about you. She also seemed like a different wolf to Crowfeather, but he had started to wonder if he had judged her too soon.
Ghost
1,354 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Therapist
Rogue
ramesses could arrange and order all he might, but it was not what he truly wanted in this moment. the pharaoh desired conversation, joviality, ribald jokes, all of which crowfeather was neither willing nor able to supply. "she is very loving and a credit to her rank. i could not have chosen a better queen."
it remained to be seen whether or not she could grant him sons, however. ramesses' lineage must be solidified and then hotly defended by strategic marriage. the children born this year would be the seeds for a greater kingdom and a stronger hold upon this corner of the teekons.
pharaoh was certain that the prince did not want to talk about the fellahin, his intended bride, nor the happenings of the palace. he was restless and sulky; assigning him a project would not dispel this. it would have to be a true and great distraction.
"will you tell me of how your people studied the stars? we believe that Nwt, Coverer of the Skies, stretches out her lovely body against the heavens, and it is from her figure that the light comes."
ramesses was quiet then, searching for any change in crowfeather.
Riverclan
NPC
909 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Crowfeather nodded his head in agreement.

Perhaps, Ramesses did love Satsu the way that she needed. She seemed to have grown to care for the Pharaoh a great deal. The seer knew that he could not hold onto his feelings of uncertainty. He had not known the queen for long enough to say that she had changed. He had not known the Pharaoh long enough to say – for certain – that it was he who had changed her. They were only glimpses at feelings, things he could not confirm.

When the Pharaoh wished to know about how Crowfeather’s people had studied the stars, the shadow tensed.

The stars are spirits that have lived and p- passed. Warriors, leaders, medicine wolves, pups. If they lived their lives for their clan, then they would eventually become one with the Clan of Stars.

Was there any real study that was involved? Crowfeather was not certain. He thought that he could share some of their ceremonies with Ramesses to answer his questions.

We do not study so much as listen. The shadow looked to the gold-draped leader. There is a great distance between the land of the living and the Clan of Stars. Our leaders, our medicine wolves, and our seers are the ones who must learn to listen closest. In the Starsea, there is a cave that glitters with rocks. It was there that we would communicate with the Clan of Stars. What they spoke of in that cave would not be shared with the Pharaoh.
Ghost
1,354 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Therapist
Rogue
to crowfeather's lot, the stars were those who had gone on. ramesses listened with a pointed interest. to become a star meant that you had done well in your life. 
the ruler was also aware that he was unsure he had heard the boy speak so much to him. it was a fruitful, intriguing sensation. and it was apparent that akashingo's prince had a great love for his home.
it was unfortunate that in ramesses' position, he would seek to hold crowfeather here for as long as he might.
pharaoh did not speak for a long while, lending the information the weighty contemplation it deserved.
"is there any practice or place you would like to replicate here?" he offered, lazuli eyes roaming crowfeather's face with the same intrigued ardor that had always remained upon him in the prince's presence. "i know you are not comfortable here. i know that you feel trapped and without the roman."
"but akashingo has always been a place to satisfy desires."
ramesses tilted his head quietly. "any desires."