Redsand Canyon Living right now, well you can call it disillusioned
356 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Joining 
@Phox had discovered where @Towhee was and Tierra followed, but she rolled in fashionably late.  Despite wanting to find her mom and reunite with both her AND her siblings, there was no way she was going to seem overeager.  Obviously she was very much an adult and, as a result, way too cool to ever be freaking out at the thought of missing out on family.

But for a wolf who was playing it cool, she was pretty quick to jog up once Mereo was in her sights, and her mom's familiar scent set her heart to pounding excitedly.  She had to be excited - she picked out her mom a solid two seconds before she noticed just how many guys had also marked this border.

She gave her fur a good shake and comb before she sat down, taking a breath and sending up a call.  She didn't direct it towards anyone in particular.  Her mom wouldn't hear it, first off... but secondly, if she didn't call for either her mom or her uncle, maybe she'd get to meet someone new.  Someone cute.
-Signing.- | Speaking. | -Signing & speaking.-
an hour of wolves and shattered shields
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
was there no end to the family of his praefectus? 

this child he recognized from his meeting with the first. the rest had come later. and now another. but the eagle was not dissuaded but amused. 

he answered the call with a prompt step and stood regarding the girl. "this is mereo. but i have a feeling you are already aware of that name."
636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
Whatever his restrictions were at this point, Kallik was ignoring them for the most part; he felt like he was healed enough to resume his regular patrols. 

So he heard the call from the stranger and immediately headed in that direction. He hadn't met this girl before, so to the scutarius, she was a stranger. 

The imperator beat him there and was already talking, so in the soldier's usual way, he came up beside Germanicus, holding back a little to show deference. His icy gaze remained fixed on the stranger as he waited for her to speak.
Inuttuk
Common
356 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
She wasn't disappointed. Tierra straightened as someone came to her call, someone who definitely was handsome, but immediately came off as a little stiff. She smiled in the coyest manner she could, then stood up and took up a more casual stance.

I heard that I have family in the area. I'm here to see them, but it's nice to meet you too. Her eyes flicked sideways, taking in the other wolf as well. Both of you. She wasn't expecting any trouble and nothing about her bearing said otherwise. She wasn't used to having to defer or show proper respect at a border and her inexperience showed.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
he was unsure what to make of her smile. his features did not shift. so she was here to visit. but her greeting encompassed the two mereoans. "i am germanicus and this is kallik. we are soldiers here in the canyon." he paused. "are you one of towhee's children?"

to him there could be only one explanation, what with the rash of family members at their borders as of late.
636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
Kallik remained his usual wall of ice, his gaze fixed on the woman. He made no acknowledgement of her greeting. He only wanted to know why she was here. 

The imperator introduced them and then asked if the stranger was one of Towhee's children. Maybe more of her family wanted to join them. She reminded him a little of the Praefectus. 

He was here simply as a guard, so he said nothing. He only waited for the woman to answer Germanicus' question.
Inuttuk
Common
356 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
The back one was quiet and neither seemed moved much, but Tierra wasn't put out. The opposite, really. If it had been too easy, she might have lost interest, but this was a pack with at least two wolves who she could see as a challenge. Who knew how many more there were? Soldiers.

It's that easy to tell. She replied, then nodded. Obviously you can't call for her, but I'd like to see her if that's okay. And maybe stick around. Are Sphyra and Caracal here too?
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
When Towhee came around a bend and spotted Germanicus and Kallik with a guest at the borders, she immediately thought Sphyra had come back to join ranks, after all. But as she hastened her step, she quickly realized this was Tierra, seemingly bringing up the rear of Phox’s caravan.

Hey, you! she called out to her daughter, her tone as flat as ever but her face full of affection. How long had it been since they’d seen one another? There was only one appropriate answer to that question: too damn long. She nudged Kallik’s shoulder as she passed and dipped her head to Germanicus before slipping her muzzle against the yearling’s ear and murmuring simply, Tierra.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"sphyra visited. caracal i do not know." 

towhee arrived then, affectionate with her half-grown child.

"tierra has expressed interest in staying." he fixed his gaze to the child. "if you do not know what role you want to take, we have commoner ranks. you will be called plebian and it will be the matrona to whom you report."

the girl already had a good referral for herself in towhee.
636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
Tierra confirmed that she was related to Towhee. She wanted to see her and expressed interest in staying. The imperator seemed to accept her easily enough, likely because she was related to the Praefectus, he thought. 

The nudge offered by Towhee as she arrived went mostly unacknowledged aside from a flick of the ear on the side she was on. 

He kept to his watchful silence as Towhee greeted her family member. There was noting so far that required him to speak, thankfully.
Inuttuk
Common
356 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
-Mom!-. Tierra made the sign with an aggressive amount of enthusiasm before she flung herself into her mom's hug, completely ignoring the other two for a moment. Then she shoved back, so Towhee could see, and launched into a quick tirade that Germanicus' words would easily carry over.

-Dad said you moved! What happened? I found Uncle Phox and he helped me figure out where you were, but dad didn't know. Did you fi-. Tierra cut off, mid sign, as Germanicus finished. She kept signing, but slipped easily into speaking along with. -Plebian? You have to be joking? Mom, what the-
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Towhee was a practiced—and adept, she liked to think—hand at following multi-directional conversations. But seeing her daughter after so long effectively distracted her, so she missed everything the Imperator said. She only caught Tierra’s response because it was signed as well as spoken, though she wasn’t entirely sure she followed.

Glancing between the two men and her daughter, Towhee tried to piece together the contextual clues. We had no choice but to disband in the fall, she answered the yearling’s overarching question, then paused, lips pressing together momentarily.

She didn’t blame anyone, least of all Tierra, though being grilled about it lately was starting to irk Towhee a bit. If only they’d been there, they’d know the answer to that question, and the pack never would’ve had to break apart in the first place. And why did everyone keep insinuating she should’ve hand-delivered the bad news, as if her entire life hadn’t been falling apart at the time? The Redhawk bit back a sigh, pushing away the unpleasant reminder and focusing on the rest.

What do you mean about joking…? she wondered, genuinely thrown by this comment in particular. Tierra had mentioned the word “Plebeian,” so Towhee thought to add, That’s the civilian rank here in Mereo. Your Auntie Woo is the leader of the civilians. Germanicus here is the Imperator, the leader of the soldiers. You can pick either/or, though it’s a bit like I ran things at the caldera: you’re expected to choose a trade and hone it to better the pack as a whole. That is, if you’re here to join? she finished on an admittedly hopeful note.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
356 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
If Towhee's annoyance showed at all at the questions, Tierra didn't notice and blew right past it.  The question she'd cut off was actually it Towhee had found a new guy here, since... well, seemed likely, right?  But (probably for the best) she was completely sidetracked from that venture.  If anything, she was grateful her mom hadn't gone to let them know... would have been pretty awkward for her, seeing as she hadn't been where she said she was going.

-It's terrible.  You're telling me anyone here is okay going by that?  Seriously?-. Tierra chose (wisely?) to sign it privately to her mom.  She liked the idea of hanging out more with the soldiers side of things, on face value, but her mom's mention of trades brought that crashing down a bit.  Sphyra had always enjoyed sparring but Tierra absolutely did not.  Not when she didn't have to, at least.  She let out a small breath, but didn't roll her eyes.  What's so important about trades anyway?  Boring.

-I could hang out. But I definitely want to see what other ranks you have.- She eyed Germanicus and Kallik surreptitiously again. If Auntie Rue was here, and leading, that was more bonus points on top of the ones she already saw. This place already seemed way more interesting than Brecheliant, no offense to her dad. Everyone there was way too... parental? There was no one she felt like she could be friends with. Maybe she'd find someone here. Or at least get to say hi to her siblings again.

-Do I need to do anything, or am I good then?-

She looked between her mom and Germanicus expectantly, waiting for an invitation and never considering that he might have something to say about it otherwise.

I figure since it's the two of them talking i would hop in with another post to give others something to respond to. Tap me if that isn't okay and I can remove this <3
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"you might indicate if you would join as a commoner or as a soldier."

his eyes had watched the rapidfire movement between towhee and her daughter. and he had seen rather than heard the scorn in the younger's demeanour.

privately as more and more of her family assembled, germanicus wondered whether or not they would be loyal to mereo or to her.

he came to flank the praefectus now. it was time first to temper the child's expectations with those of his own. whatever she had lived before would not be brought here.
636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
Kallik had no idea what to make of the signing going on between the stranger and the praefectus. He had only seen it from time to time between the matrona and Towhee, but he certainly couldn't decipher the gestures. 

The imperator was on top of things, though. He requested the girl state what her path would be here, and Kallik could hear more than sternness in his tone. He had been on the receiving end of the imperator's annoyance more than once, so it was easy to pick out. 

The soldier continued to watch on, not adding anything to the conversation because it wasn't needed right now.
Inuttuk
Common
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Towhee still didn’t follow. Was Tierra picking on the name of the pack? It was kind of cutesy, she supposed. It wasn’t until the girl’s next remark, made out loud, that it clicked. She didn’t like the term “Plebeian.”

If you don’t want to be a Plebeian, then you’ll have to train as a soldier. As much as I’d love for you to stay here, it’s not a decision to make lightly one way or the other. Whatever side you choose, you’re going to have to put in the work. It’s a pretty serious commitment.

She touched her muzzle to Tierra’s temple, her eyes cutting sideways to actually catch Germanicus’s words this time. He spoke succinctly, instructing the yearling to declare her choice. With Sphyra and even Caracal, it would be obvious (soldier and civilian, respectively). But she couldn’t be sure what Tierra might pick.

Towhee waited, tail flicking, nodding at her daughter. It was up to her if she wanted to pledge her fealty and which path she wanted to walk if she did.

356 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Sure.. She listened to what they were saying, but it wasn't in her nature to take much of it too seriously. Living here would take about as much work as living anywhere else - as much as she was willing to put in. And this older guy didn't scare her. Maybe he talked all gruff and whatever, and was looking at her like she'd just stolen his last rabbit, but she knew he'd come around sooner than later. No one ever stayed upset with her long.

Ugh at those choices though. She wasn't about to go around with the name plebian, not even if it meant she could avoid this guy in favor of Auntie Rue. The name just elicited a shudder of negative connotation for her. Besides, a few more pluses in the soldier column - soldiers and the fact that maybe, when Sphyra came back, Tierra would actually be able to put her on her ass. Or at least hold her own.

Fine. I'll try soldier. I don't have to, like, fight anyone to get in though, do I? She eyed Kallik, standing silently behind Germanicus. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, getting pinned down by him.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"sparring is not a requirement to enter mereo."

he would have his hands full with this one.

"but you will be expected to spar and to grow in your fighting. you will be expected to spar with each of the other soldiers. you will be assessed and put upon a path for it."

he did not want to disillusion tierra, but he wished her to have full understanding of what exactly she intended to enter.
636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
Kallik could already see that this girl lacked many of the things it took to be a soldier in Mereo. She was blood of Towhee, though, so maybe the soldier just needed to be brought out. The imperator would definitely bring it out, that or she would see she wasn't cut out for it. The life a soldier in Mereo was not something to take lightly, and it was not easy. She would see that for herself soon enough. 

The scutarius watched her for a reaction the the imperator's words. 

He was eager for this meeting to be over so he could return to more important things. There was no danger here, and that had been his main concern. But he woulnd't leave until they were done talking.
Inuttuk
Common
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Tierra spoke with a glibness that did not necessarily suit the ways of Mereo, though she took after her mother that way and Towhee had carved out quite the niche for herself here. The Praefectus shot her daughter an encouraging smile, hoping the yearling would be shown a little grace while she adapted to the pack’s unique structure but, of course, expecting that Tierra would be brought up to snuff promptly in the days following acceptance.

356 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Yeah, sure. She answered quickly, and while she wasn't all that fond of fighting, she liked at least a bit of the sound of that. She'd have to fight every soldier, and that meant she'd meet every soldier. How many were there? Every single one strong, brave, stoic.... oh, this was going to be fun. And even better, when it came to fun, she could bet she wouldn't have much competition in a pack as stiff as this one.

Clearly she was set on it, whether she'd make it or not would have to be seen. Right now she was sure it would all be fine and way easier than they made it out to be. She'd slide right on through with the minimum effort necessary and catch as many eyes as she could while doing so.

She waited impatiently, wondering if there was anything else they could possibly need after that. Yeah, test her, whatever. She was a badass. She'd be fine.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germ out!

"very well. i will see you in the morning, auxillary."

the imperator nodded once to towhee, then turned and moved at a crisp walk away from the pair.

he must see that both their loyalties were to mereo.
636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
With the imperator's departure, Kallik would also take his leave. 

Whether or not the new auxillary was cut out for soldier life remained to be seen. Soon they would spar, as long as she made it that far in the training. 

Kallik would turn and trot off unless stopped.

last from me <3
Inuttuk
Common
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
In the few heartbeats between Tierra’s, “Yeah, sure,” and Germanicus’s, “Very well,” Towhee wondered what she would do if her child—or grandchild—ended up not making the cut. They were grown, meaning she was no longer responsible for them. They were responsible for themselves and must put in the work. She could vouch for them, but only to a point.

Hopefully Tierra, Killdeer and any of the other wayward Redhawks that found their way here would be able to manage themselves in Mereo. She didn’t particularly want to find out what happened otherwise. Pushing the thought from her mind, she grinned when it became clear Tierra would be afforded the chance to carve out her niche here, just like her mother.

Come on, I’ll show you around the place, she said, stepping up close and slinging an arm companionably around her daughter’s shoulders for a moment before releasing her. Welcome to your new home, Towhee quipped, nodding her head before taking off toward the innermost reaches of the canyon to begin the grand tour.

I figured you can wrap or just archive here! I would love another mother/daughter thread soon! :)

356 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
wrappin <3

This was going to be interesting, to say the least. -They seem... nice,- Tierra couldn't help but quip after both other wolves had left. It wasn't so much the words as the expression she gave while signing. Nice wasn't exactly the word she'd use if she was being honest here. -It's good to see you though!! I can't believe you joined another pack, that's insane! I want to hear everything, like what made you join here? And who here is actually cool? They can't all be like that, otherwise I'm totally changing my mind. And you'll just have to send me letters somewhere else.- In the flurry she gave her mom a cheeky smile, then impulsively reached out to give her another hug.

She'd pump Towhee for more information as her mom showed her around, hanging on everything that had happened with the right degrees of amazement, sympathy, and excitement depending on how her mom seemed to feel about it. She tried to pay attention to the tour as well, but honestly... what was so special about a canyon anyway?