Redsand Canyon Put it in your pantry with your cupcakes.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,964 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
The wound on her leg itched fiercely but seemed to be mending well enough. Figuring it would be a good idea to let @Aquene examine it again just to be sure, Towhee made her way toward the tablinum after finishing her patrol.

The midday winter sun broke through the cloud cover and stroked her back like warm breath. Towhee sighed, sensing spring in the air. That made her thoughts turn toward Maxim and all the possibilities of the future.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
They hadn't not seen each other, but Killdeer had only vaguely heard of the brush-up between Towhee and the lovers. He spotted her from a little ways away, and loped toward her, trying to make his gait large and somewhat ungainly so that she'd spot him before he'd startle her, sneaking up.

Once they were face to face, he gestured toward her injured leg, then returned his eyes to hers in concern. -Are you okay?- he asked, lapsing into ptero. It was getting easier with practice and proximity to his grandmother, but he still struggled over some more complicated concepts. -I heard a little about what happened.-

Part of him wanted to tear the dude a new one for hurting his gramma, but he knew it wasn't his fight. Killdeer instead walked beside Towhee, face still drawn and worried.
my monsters are real; they're trained how to kill
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
It had taken time for Aquene to accept the fact that she was with child… and furthermore she needed to figure out how the hell she was supposed to be a mother… was she even old enough? Her scent had started to change, and Ruenna knew which meant Germanicus no doubt knew but apart from Kallik she had not told anyone else. Sure, she knew others became mothers younger than her. This was not her first heat cycle… but fuck if she didn’t feel unprepared for it in every single way. She had been on the way back to the tablinum from the border, having collected some roots that grew along the trail.

She spotted Towhee moving towards the Tablinum, along with another she had yet to meet. She moved up, her head dipping down to look at the injury and how it was healing, stepping so that Towhee would be able to see her maw. “Were you looking for me, Towhee?” Her head tilted to the side.
Aquene speaks both русский язык and Common. She does not carry a Russian accent. Her knowledge of Russian is not common knowledge.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,964 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Speaking of the future, Towhee’s tail waved when Killdeer bounded into her view. She went to offer him a nudge when his words gave her pause. She peered down at her leg, then up at him, curious what he’d heard.

What mattered more was reassuring her grandson, I’m fine. It’s just a flesh wound. But in case you don’t believe me, I’m head— Before she could finish her sentence, Aquene appeared on her other side. Towhee jumped a little, then laughed.

Hey, Aquene, have you met my grandson? This is Killdeer, Killer for short, the Praefectus introduced with utmost fondness. And yeah, I just wanted to check in with you, make sure everything looks Gucci. They weren’t quite at the tablinum but she stopped to hold out her foreleg for examination.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Aquene reminded him of Towhee, but with more dark. And younger. And not related. He goggled at her for a moment before returning to comprehension of language, soaking in the words and replying again when he was able.

Oh, okay, good, he said absently to Towhee, and then turned to the young woman. Nice to meet you, Aquene. He gave her a timid smile before falling back.

He'd remain crouched nearby, waiting for his grandmother's exam to be over. All the while, golden eyes raking over the healer with interest, and also to the heights of the canyon around them. He was still getting used to the place, after all.
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
A flesh wound. Aquene snorted softly. It was a sex injury was what it was… it was just that Towhee hadn’t been the one trying to get any. She had heard the comment as she was approaching. The question fell and her brow raised, eyes widening slightly. “Killer?” It was a rather… violent nickname… but perhaps that was just a cultural difference. Perhaps killer meant something else in these lands. He seemed friendly enough. “It’s nice to meet you. I’m Aquene, Mereo’s medic.” She explained with a tip of her head. Perhaps the man would take after his grandmother and know to seek her out if he ever needed treatment.

“I can look at it again… unfortunately I think this is the price you pay for trying to interrupt my husband and I.” There was a light tease in her voice as she made her way into the tablinum. “Is something about it bothering you? It appears as if it’s healing nicely.” It was, as the woman would say… ‘Gucci’. “If it’s still hurting I can give you something else for the pain while it heals?” She suggested with a frown, her mind half hazed and distracted at the thought of the children growing inside of her but trying not to show it. It was a conversation she might have broached with the praefectus but she felt self-conscious with the grandson sitting outside.
Aquene speaks both русский язык and Common. She does not carry a Russian accent. Her knowledge of Russian is not common knowledge.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,964 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She noted her grandson’s slightly bashful demeanor in front of Aquene, which delighted Towhee. She threw the boy a fond look as he backed up a few feet to give the women space to discuss.

Nope, she answered the first question, adding, and that’s all I needed to hear, when Aquene said it appeared to be healing nicely. Towhee snorted at the obvious joke. And nah, there’s no pain. I was just playing it safe, she said by way of explanation.

Towhee was about to look over at Killdeer when something caught her attention. She was pretty good at reading faces for obvious reasons and she suddenly noticed the tension on Aquene’s. The healer’s lips were pulled down in a frown and there was an odd look in her eye.

Is everything okay with you? she asked, trying to keep her voice low but probably failing.

660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
Her grandson remained outside of the den and Aquene was admittedly okay with it. It gave just a little more privacy. She was not certain the boy would want to hear all of the nitty gritty they might get into. Many a lude conversation had happened in the tablinum by Towhee’s influence. She just hoped that Killer’s presence outside made things a little more tame.

The question came and she shifted and nodded. “I… yeah.” She trailed off awkwardly before offering a shy smile. “I… am just a little nauseated is all.” It likely wasn’t all that difficult to figure out why given how often her and Kallik had been known to go at it. “And pregnant… definitely pregnant.” She knew that the other woman had plenty of motherhood experience of her own… Aquene was almost relying on it. She had no idea what she was doing so surely Towhee would have some pointers, right?
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,964 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Before Aquene even opened her mouth, Towhee knew everything was not okay. She immediately wondered if it had something to do with that horrible giant at the borders. But surely she would’ve heard about it if he’d made a comeback and, in any case, the healer didn’t leave her hanging long. She said that she was nauseous, then gave an explanation for it.

Towhee met this declaration with a blink, her head rearing back a little bit. She hadn’t even realized the healer had gone into heat. More importantly, she distinctly recollected their conversation from less than a week ago. “First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes Kallik with a baby carriage…?” “No, I still don’t think that’s in the cards for the season. I don’t think that we are ready for that.” Did that make it an accident? How had that happened? When had that happened?

Probably because they were in the tablinum, an unbidden thought came to her. Was there something, some plant, the healer could take to end an unwanted pregnancy? Even after all these years, she could still picture Raven’s lips as they formed the words, “If you want me to, I know of some plants that will... end a pregnancy.” So much had changed since then, yet Towhee’s stance on termination hadn’t budged one bit. She wouldn’t entertain the suggestion, much less mention it out loud.

What she did say was, Hol’up, are you sure? If you’re nauseated, maybe you just ate something rancid. Have you tried eating some grass?

660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
Prevention was one thing, but termination was something she had never allowed herself to consider. It had been such a taboo from the moment she was born though she knew there were ways. She refused to do that. If she had considered it, not even her husband would have gotten to learn that she was pregnant in the first place. They were doing this. They were going to be parents, they just didn’t quite know how yet. She could see the shock on her features and then she was asking if Aquene was turn. The woman’s brow furrowed, confusion and slight contempt. “I’m a healer, Towhee. Of course I know the difference between food poisoning and being pregnant.” She stated flatly. It was her job to know.

“I’m pregnant… Kallik and I are going to be parents.” She had figured out in that moment that the chaos of caring for the Matrona, her anger at the Imperator, and Towhee’s own interruption into their day with the ambush had resulted in her not dutifully taking her preventative measures… it was something she was certain of. It had been her fault. She had messed up by forgetting, but she strangely couldn’t find herself to regret it. It was terrifying… but also exciting, in it’s own way. “Any pointers for me?” She asked, a nervous smile on her features because she really hadn’t a single clue as to what was happening.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,964 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Towhee’s lips formed a moue of surprise when the healer rebuked her for double checking. Maybe she was a healer, but hadn’t she mentioned trying to suppress her heats? The Praefectus didn’t doubt her skills, she just felt as though the younger woman was jumping to conclusions when other possibilities made a lot more sense. Aquene had never been pregnant before, right? Anyway, how could even the most expert medic be so certain this early?

She wanted to point this out and reassure the Plebian that it might not be a pregnancy, yet Aquene said it again with such firmness that Towhee didn’t know what to say. Aquene was clearly utterly convinced, for whatever reason. Although the Redhawk still privately thought it was way too soon to call it, she decided to just go with the flow here.

Aquene wanted pointers. Towhee tried to reel in her surprise and organize her thoughts. I still think eating some grass wouldn’t hurt, she quipped, then held up her paws before the medic could take offense again, not that I’m a medical professional, of course. It just always worked to settle my stomach when it was upset for any reason.

660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
She could see the mental gymnastics working in the other woman’s head, or more of, the quip followed by an almost defensive gesture in the woman’s mind. She sighed softly. “I missed a few doses… when I was suppressing my heat.” She explained in the hopes it would make more sense to the other woman. She had spoken of it, of course, but it hadn’t meant it was foolproof. She’d needed to be diligent and with everything going on she hadn’t been… and now, she was convinced that she was indeed pregnant.

She frowned at the advice. “Grass? Any kind of grass?” She’d never heard of such a treatment before. She had other plants for nausea… “I meant more of the… how to successfully raise a child without completely ruining them in the process…” She added after the fact, a frown on her features. She hadn’t exactly had the best role model in that regard. Her mother had done her best but her father had certainly done enough ruining for the both of them. And she knew Kallik really didn’t have all that much experience with a health home life either. Oh, what a set of parents they were going to be, right?
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,964 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Well, Towhee said, amused by the question, the fresher, the better. I like a nice and juicy blade. You’ve never mowed down after getting the pukes? Huh. Aquene probably knew of some much more advanced remedy for such things, though the Praefectus didn’t pursue the topic any further.

Because the healer wanted parenting advice, not medical advice. I might have a lot of experience but I’m not sure I’m an expert. I think a lot of it comes down to maternal instinct. You’ll probably surprise yourself by getting the hang of it as you go. Towhee paused. For the, ah, pregnancy part specifically… you’ve looked after pregnant patients before, right? Treat yourself exactly like you would treat any of them. And you’ll be golden.

660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
Aquene was not certain of her treatment plan, and likely would not listen to her advice though she saved it in the back of her mind. She supposed she might try it if she was in a pinch. Still, she preferred her own remedies. It was the same concept as an outside healer whom she didn’t train coming in and trying to help out in her medicines… it just wasn’t something she was very good at simply accepting.

Parenting advice. Admittedly, it was not what she was hoping to hear. She frowned at that. Did she even have a maternal instinct? She wasn’t sure that she did. She sighed softly a frown as the worries started to get to her. “It’s easier said than done… I normally recommend they rest as much as possible, save their energy for the pups growing inside of them and for the intensive labor that follows… I’m Mereo’s only healer.” She was certain that Kallik would worry and fret after she had practically fed him horror stories of her own mother’s death. Perhaps she should have simply held onto those. “I just don’t know if I’m capable of being a mom. I never really had a good home life. I don’t know what normal looks like.” Granted Mereo wasn’t exactly… normal… himself.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,964 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Well, yeah, most things are, Towhee replied with a good-natured chuckle, then let Aquene finish before adding, Normal is overrated. My own experiences as a mom have been anything but. So I wouldn’t worry about that. You just do your best. Take care of them and treat them like the tiny people they are. And the rest of us will be here to support you. Honestly, even the savviest parent will tell you it takes a village.

She reached out her good leg to pat the woman’s shoulder, leaving her paw there as she caught Aquene’s eye. If all else fails, you can always sell them on the black market. Maybe for some rare drugs or something. She let go and straightened with a wink, hoping the medic would appreciate the levity. Better yet, maybe the joke would offend her, which would be a good sign: it would demonstrate that, deep down, some part of her definitely wanted those (hypothetical) babies.

660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
Aquene craved normal compared to other standards. What was her best? She couldn’t help but smile softly at the other woman’s words. Yes, it was… well, it would take a village. She actually had a village this time. She had wolves who cared and support her.  Her leg patted Aquene’s shoulder and she snorted at her next words before breaking out into a soft chuckle. Trust the praefectus to find a way to lighten the mood and lift her spirits. “I don’t think any rare drug could possibly be worth a child.” She admitted, a weird stirring in her gut.

Surely it was just the nausea hitting her in another wave, right? Except she didn’t feel like she needed to yarp anything up at the moment… maybe she should give that grass a shot. “I… I think I want children.” She finally settled upon the realization for a moment, a realization that truthfully scared the shit out of her.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,964 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Mmm, I dunno, Towhee rejoined with a quiet snort of laughter, biting at her lip in an effort not to smile too hard at the next remark. Boy, do I got good news for you, she quipped. She still had her doubts about whether this pregnancy was verified, though that simple comment changed her tune toward the situation. Instead of hoping Aquene was wrong, now she kinda hoped she was right. Being a parent was pretty awesome.

Speaking of kids, I should probably go collect my grandkid, Towhee mused, but I don’t want to leave you hanging or anything. You gonna be all right? Depending on when Aquene thought she had conceived, there was plenty more time for her to really get used to the whole idea.

660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
Aquene could not help but snort. Perhaps it was too soon to make a verification, but Aquene had always been one to fret about herself and act a bit of the hypochondriac when it came to things like this. It was not her first pregnancy scare though the first one ended up being a false alarm… this time though, this time she was certain she was certain. She offered a soft smile and nodded. “Probably should.” She mused again.

The question came and she nodded. “I’ll be okay… you take care of yourself. And if something starts to both your leg, come find me.” She offered because she was serious about ensuring the praefectus’ safety. “And don’t go interrupting any more couples!” She added again before she turned to handle organizing her stores once more and let these thoughts continue to weigh her mind.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,964 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She offered Aquene a last smile and turned, eyes immediately finding her grandson loitering off a ways. Towhee would’ve probably playfully scoffed at the warning, but she didn’t catch it, her eyes trained on Killdeer as she quickly closed the gap and nudged him.

See? Per Dr Aquene, I’m all good, she remarked. And definitely well enough to put you through your paces. C’mon, let’s do a border run, Towhee invited, nipping at him now and kicking up her heels as she led the boy to the canyon’s rim.