Redsand Canyon Mellontikós
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
All Welcome 
Arsenio had seen a great deal of change in Mereo since his arrival. The canyon outpost had become something real and vibrant. It was ready for the future. The soldiers that had been gathered were dutiful and skilled. The civilians were a warmth that would have otherwise left Mereo feeling stiff and formal. It was a good place to build a home, the mercenary felt. 

Prowling the territory, Arsenio turned his snout to their borders. He would march along them and mark in places that were weak with scent. As he walked, he searched for the Roman. @Germanicus had built Mereo, but Arsenio did not think it would be the end of their expanse.
an hour of wolves and shattered shields
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
mereo was fit to bursting.

there was still the subject of diesel and of the saints.

and there was still the matter of towhee stepping down. soon, the imperator suspected. the dens in the married-housing had thin walls and the scent of estrus was unmistakable.

he would be glad when it was over.

germanicus joined arsenio upon the borders. "the vale is empty and i have wanted it for mereo. it is a place favoured by lady ruenna as well."
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The Roman had a good knack for appearing when Arsenio thought of him. It was a feat that would have otherwise caused suspicions, but the Greek thought it was due to the man’s hard-working nature. Always present, always protective. 

When the man spoke, Arsenio drew his ears to a point. The vale had suffered a loss with Alys’ family. Did Germanicus seek to move Mereo to a new location? One ear swiveled curiously. 

You wish to move? Or to expand? If the lady Imperator likes the territory, it could be a place for your family. Was this what he hoped to hear from the soldier?
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"i think an expansion is necessary." if the saints meant to rebuild, germanicus meant to be steps ahead of them. he switched his tail and tilted his head, inviting arsenio away from listening ears.

"i suspect our praefectus will not be holding the role for much longer." the imperator's voice was unreadable. "she spoke of outposts but i dismissed it at the time. towhee also expressed wishing to remain here and be mother alongside the matrona."

germanicus wondered if the former redhawk leader would find his next supposition to be offensive, perhaps a slight. but it was a decision he wished to make now.

"tamar is young and has not come into her time. it would be apt for the pair of you to begin in the vale." he paused. "if diesel and khalys were to go with you, that would solve the need for numbers and protection."

he did not speak of the spawn that the former soldier presumably carried.
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
An expansion, then. Yes, growth would do Mereo good. Arsenio found himself swelling with pleasure at the thought of Germanicus filling the ranks of two outposts with wolves who were capable soldiers with reasons to fight. How could Ramesses compete? The matter of Mereo being an outpost to Akashingo was frequently forgotten by the Greek man. Whether this was by choice or accident could not be said.

The Roman went on to say that Towhee would likely step away from her role to mother children of her own. Arsenio was surprised – he had not been aware that she had been wed. If he didn’t know any better, he might have thought Germanicus a matchmaker instead of an Imperator. It was not a thought that he would voice, not yet.

At the mention of his wife, the mercenary drew his gaze to the Roman’s and let it linger there. He was thoughtful, but hesitant.

Tamar has made friends here. The lady Imperator, Aquene, even Towhee. I do not know if she has had a chance to speak with Khalys or Diesel. She had spoken of the other soldiers, too. Arsenio imagined she had gotten to know Kallik well enough. I do not know if it would be good to take her away from them. This was spoken in the voice of a man who loved his wife with all of his soul.

Arsenio cleared his throat gruffly and cast a wry grin to Germanicus.

And I thought we were becoming friends. You already wish to be rid of me, hm? he inquired teasingly.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
arsenio spoke carefully and with a huff of good humour at the end. germanicus walked on for a moment, compelled by his own thoughts.

"you might do as i did: build first so that your wife might have a place to walk. it would take long days of being parted from her. perhaps weeks."

but it was the sacrifice of a soldier. even one who loved his wife so greatly.

"three of you might take and hold the vale. and i had considered that lady khalys might one day wish to return." that was a delicate subject and not one he would broach today. 

"you are my friend. that is why you would be in control of your own land. i of course would insist that sunspire military operations still be conducted through mereo. but it would one day be a place for your children."
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Germanicus wished for the vale to belong as a branch of Mereo. Arsenio would not deny him this desire. There were good things that could come from the claiming of that land. It spoke a great deal that Germanicus wished this for Arsenio and his family – that he would not send Towhee and her husband.

They walked on. Arsenio did not say anything to the Roman, at first. He mulled the idea over in his mind for a time. It was a large step to take, especially for a man who had only ever stayed in one place for as long as they could make it worth his while. The mercenary would not admit it, but he had made friends in Mereo, too.

A daring thought crept into his mind.

I will do it.

A small nod.

Khalys should return and I would be pleased to take her with us. Diesel, as well… though the last I spoke to her, she was intent to give me another wife. It had been a strange conversation with a strange looking woman that he had not forgotten.

There was only a pause before he turned his gaze upon Germanicus.

I want Kallik and Aquene.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
the imperator grinned, an easy expression that only came without difficulty when he was in arsenio's presence. "o misthofóros thélei na diapragmatefteí!"  the eagle chuckled warmly.

diesel annoyed him. unbeknownst to the imperator her lie might soon be found out. "tamar is kind but i do not think she will tolerate sharing you," he said diplomatically despite the amusement of his gaze.

"the truth is that i cannot spare aquene until she trains a replacement. ironically that was to be tamar, and the lessons may continue. but that would leave mereo without any medicus whatsoever." and that could not be abided.

"the further truth is that i selfishly wish kallik to become a general. i think he is suited for it once his training completes. their presence in the vale may well happen. but for now she is with child," he told arsenio quietly. "founding a new land would tax her overmuch."

it was not a refusal. it was a postponenent. he waited to see how arsenio would respond.
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Arsenio only smiled sharply at the Imperator’s initial statement.

He listened, then. Germanicus had good reasons for his wants, yes, but this was no longer a game of mercenary and client. The redstone wolf had made himself useful in Mereo. He had tended to the borders and met with the other soldiers. It was not outstanding, but he had filled the role of a good soldier – enough to be considered for this.

I understand.

Arsenio did not move his gaze. This was important talk.

But if I am to do what you ask, I will no longer be a mercenary. We will be two men, leaders of outposts. As such, I should like a say in a few of who I bring with me. This was meant softly, for the Roman was still the leader of their group.

You know, you left a perfectly good healer in Akashingo. That dark boy. He had a way with herbs. Why not retrieve him? It was a valid question. The shadowy figure had been seen as a good medic in the few instances that he had been asked to help.

I am selfish too. Kallik is a friend to me and to Tamar. Aquene is closer, still. You ask us to leave these relationships behind – to take the overflow of your outpost – and I ask for a bit more. I wish for my children to be raised alongside another family. I wish to have another man, another soldier, who I can tend the territory with. These are not unreasonable asks, I think. A counterpoint. And what would Germanicus say to that?
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus listened. when arsenio pressed for one situation or another, it was a true want of his. the redstone wolf was solemn now and the eagle was respectful with the tilt of his head.

germanicus had no reason to deny arsenio. in fact, it might sour things between them if he fell back upon his rank. the scutarius had earned more than that and it was not the way of the centurion. 

it would be saddening for the pair to leave. and yet with the involvement of mereo and the vale, he knew kallik would still be present for the education that must continue.

"the last time i saw crowfeather, he was too injured to walk and there was nothing to suggest that he would even be able to travel here."

the man's tone had closed around the words. he forged ahead. "it is not unreasonable. it is what you ask to found the vale and i will not be an obstacle. speak soon with kallik. lady ruenna will rely on aquene when her time is due. after that there comes the logistics of transporting young pups or waiting until they are weaned. but speak with him first. perhaps until you are formed we might compromise on his presence as military liasion between our territories."

germanicus meant to embrace this change. "kallik is a fine choice for a counterpart. they both will be missed but you have chosen your rankings." the imperator affirmed them with a nod. and with that, it was done. the eagle would speak with ruenna later.
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
It has been many months, Imperator. He could be well enough – all a man needs is a little… motivation, hm? And that was all he would say of the dark wolf left in Akashingo. Arsenio had not forged a bond with the sour young man. He had only heard of his skill for medicines.

Germanicus did not deny him.

Arsenio listened as he explained what he would like to happen. The redstone figure nodded his head, agreeing. Speak with Kallik, the lady Imperator would need Aquene for her children’s safe delivery, and then Aquene would have her own children. That would be fine – they could remain until they had grown large enough to travel, or until their mother felt it was best for them to be transported. Arsenio would assist in any way that he could, and he did not believe Tamar would disagree.

It will be done. I will seek Kallik and discuss with him.

Another small nod.

Thank you, Roman. Perhaps we shall make the vale a place of learning for soldiers. If Tamar discovers more about medicines, we could teach this skill, too. Part of this process could be to serve a tour in Mereo under its Imperator? It seemed a sound plan. The vale could be turned into an academy where they would teach and release only the best, the most skilled. Athena would be humbled by its strength.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
crowfeather filled his mind and he was hard-put not to find himself distracted during this important discourse. 

the third and unuttered truth was that the eagle would not know what to do if he had the young ranger and ruenna both beneath his eye. his marriage to her might well be seen as a betrayal. there would be strife.

and the imperator had put down the snarl of complicated and unheard emotions the day that he departed akashingo. to bring crowfeather here would be to reopen them again.

he was selfish. but the shadow represented an undoing that germanicus had conquered in himself.

"that is a fine idea, greek. i will take all you send. my children will be reared in mereo as soldiers, and the opportunity is open to any born in the vale. i will send mine to you when they are of age, to be fully immersed in great thinking."

there was anticipation beneath his breast. it almost sundered the clawing in his gut when he thought of crowfeather's stricken face.