Nimbus Summit It's only water and sand
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
All Welcome 
for @Caracal <3

Tuulu shouldered much more responsibility now that he was beta. He owed it to his brother and Lane to prove that this change was the right one. He still worried over his brother's reaction the day he and Lane had told him of their plans; luckily, he had plenty to keep him distracted.

This evening, he settled into a patrol of the borders. They were closer to a more stable claim here, but he wanted to be thorough. 

The Tatkret stopped to mark a tree, his gaze searching the area. Then he continued on, inspecting things as he moved.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
What a day! Caracal should’ve been exhausted by the morning’s events but he was wired instead. Now that he was left to his own devices again, he didn’t know quite what to do with himself or all this energy. He fidgeted his way toward the foot of the mountain, an idea hitting him as his lithe red paws struck even ground.

With a little yip, the yearling bounded forward, breaking into a gallop. His ankle barely bothered him as he picked up speed, running so fast his ears flattened to his head and his tongue lolled from his mouth. The twilight air cooled and darkened around him, yet still he did not tire as he circled the mount.

He might’ve done a lap or two if he hadn’t crossed paths with someone walking this way. Caracal skidded to a halt, panting as he jogged to close the distance between himself and the stranger. He huffed a breath as came to a halt, tail waving as he dipped his vulpine snout.

Heya, I’m Caracal!
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
He wasn't solo on his patrol for long, though he didn't mind. He appreciated company for these things anyway.

The beta turned to greet the young man with a dip of his head. Good evening, he offered. I am Tuuluuwaq. Caracal was new here, that much he could tell, but not much else. I was just starting a patrol if you care to join me? 

Then he could learn more about the new member.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
Why, Caracal blurted between breaths, before he could stop himself. Why did everybody around here have such complicated names, except for good ole Lane? Why, it’s so nice to meet you! he attempted to save face, the sentiment genuine, at least. Sure, he added, waving tail picking up speed as he pivoted to flank the older man.

You can call me Cal, he said as they fell into step with each other. He could still feel his heart pounding against his ribs, his breath a bit short. He desperately hoped this Tuuluuwaq would offer up a nickname of his own, otherwise Caracal was going to be going around this place calling everyone “hey, you!”
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
Caracal seemed very friendly, which would make getting to know him so much easier. It's nice to meet you too, he offered in return.

He agreed to join him on patrol and offered his name. 

How did you find Atautsikut? the beta asked. He was curious about the young man's story. He had many more questions for Cal, but he would wait until the first was answered. No need to bombard him.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
Thx for the kudos! :D

Well, I was traveling by myself for the first time—I used to travel with my best buddy, Killer—and I’d just begun to realize it sucked, Caracal began, so I started looking for signs of life. I hit the nearby forest and smelled a pack. That’s when I bumped into Antha and Lane. I didn’t really think it through at all, to be honest, but I’m glad I randomly decided to stay. I’ve been meaning to work on my medical training.

He officially ran out of breath for a moment, the two of them walking several furlongs before he managed to get out the second half of his story: But it turns out I’d met some of the pack’s members before, back when they lived at Duskfire Glacier. I visited with my sister, Meerkat, when she was part of it. Do you know her?
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
Well Lane and Antha are the wolves to learn from, he answered with a grin. Lane is my mate and Antha is mate to my brother, Issorartuyak. He wasn't sure if they had mentioned this to him, but he couldn't help telling others that Lane was his mate. He was proud to call her that and beyond ecstatic that she wanted to be with him forever. 

Cal mentioned the glacier and how he had been there once before with his sister. Yes, she was there when I first arrived at the glacier, he answered. But she left soon after that. I hope she is doing well. He knew very little about whatever had happened between Meerkat and his brother. Isso didn't exactly offer up much on the subject and Tuulu hadn't pushed.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
Tuuluuwaq revealed his connections to the leadership and Caracal’s tail whipped hither and thither as he exclaimed, Oh cool! Then the information actually sunk in and he felt a flicker of disappointment when he realized Lane was spoken for. I’m mainly apprenticing under her. Lane, I mean, he shared with a gentle smile.

Hope so too, he replied in regards to Meerkat. I guess she lives in a pack by the coast now? Caracal added, like he wasn’t entirely sure on the details. Lane actually told me Meerkat went there to live with her BF. I bet she’s gonna have kids! Maybe I should go visit sometime, I mean, they would be my nieces and nephews. Right? He looked to his elder as if for validation.
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
So he was going to be Lane's apprentice; the more healers the better in his opinion. So you have an interest in medicine, he pointed out. That is an honorable trade. 

Cal updated him on Meerkat, stating she lived on the coast, married and likely with children on the way. He was pleased to know she was happy, though maybe more so now that his brother was also happy. I bet she would appreciate that, the Tatkret offered. I would want to meet my nieces and nephews as well. That might actually become his reality soon if Isso decided to have children with his new mate.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
Caracal nodded, grinning. He had always liked helping people; it was like a drive that came from deep inside him. But the real reason he’d gotten into the art of medicine was because of women. First there had been Bridget, then Sialuk, now Lane. It wasn’t a sleazy thing (mostly…). Caracal admired them greatly for their skills and just happened to find them extremely attractive too. So sue him.

Tuuluuwaq also seemed to approve of the young man’s travel itinerary. Do you have any? Caracal wondered, stopping abruptly in his tracks. Hey, wait, are there any puppies here? Like, he elaborated, holding up a paw and pinching his toes together, teeny weeny ones, fresh out the wombat? Wait, that word didn’t seem quite right…
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
The questions came fast, and Tuulu waited patiently for Cal to be done speaking. Wombat? he asked first. Common was his second language; maybe the word had two meanings?

Issorartuyok is my brother; he is expecting pups very soon, he answered with a fond smile. They will be the first born to Atautsikut this year. He was curious about the young man's interest in pups. Do you like children? he asked. Tuulu was fond of them himself.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
Judging by his companion’s question, it definitely wasn’t the right word. Caracal gesticulated, saying, You know, the… Why wouldn’t the correct term come to him? The place where the puppies grow, inside the mother.

In any case, Tuuluuwaq told him everything he needed and wanted to know. Sweet! he declared, upon hearing that the pack’s Alpha male and his mate were expecting. It took him another beat to realize this meant Antha was pregnant. Caracal’s head cocked.

I love kids! he crowed loudly in reply to the Beta’s question, before pausing to admit, I’ve never actually met any besides my nephew, but I really want to! He had loved looking out for young Killdeer and found his heart beating hard again at the thought of helping out with more little kids. It didn’t matter to him that they wouldn’t be related, though it did beg the question, Do you think they’d let me?

Before he could clarify what he meant, exactly, the word, OOTERUS! exploded from the boy’s mouth without warning.
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
Tuulu frowned at him. He didn't realize wombat was another way to refer to—well he wasn't really sure of the word himself and Cal definitely had a better grasp on the language. 

The beta liked how excited Cal was about the upcoming pups; it meant he would likely help care for them and Antha. I like kids, as well. I enjoy teaching them. He was looking forward to mentoring his nieces and nephews if they wanted it. 

He was confused by the question. Let you wh— but his words were cut off by the young man's boisterous interruption. Tuulu frowned again. 

ooterus? he asked.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
Sorry, he offered, seeing the confused frown on the man’s face at the exclamation. Caracal’s shoulders hunched a little as he ducked his head in apology, two seconds before whipping it upward again and smilingly clarifying, Yeah, that’s the technical term for it, the part where the puppies grow before they’re born.

Moving on… Yeah? he queried in reply to Tuuluuwaq’s comment about teaching, not that it was obvious. I really like looking out for them, you know, and showing them cool stuff. He paused to reminisce about doing such things with Killer, then shared, Yeah, I’d really love to do that again, especially now that I’m older. Do you think your brother and Antha will let me help with their kiddos?
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
The beta shook off the apology; there was no need for it. 

I see, he answered. The technical term was ooterus, so maybe wombat was just another word for it? 

It seemed Tuulu would have some help showing the pups what life would be like in Atautsikut. The more the merrier in his opinion. I think they would be grateful, he answered when Cal asked about his brother and Antha. Maybe bring Antha something to eat one of these days and ask her how she and Issorartuyok would feel about your help. His taking the initiative would likely go a long way. 

We are all family here, so we all help each other.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
Tuuluuwaq offered sage words and a suggestion. Yeah, Caracal found himself agreeing, yeah, that’s a good idea. I’ll do that. Thanks! He waved his tail, fully prepared to go and do it right then and there.

But weren’t they supposed to be patrolling? With the air of someone who’d suddenly remembered something, Caracal shuffled his feet and continued the onward march, intuiting the Beta would keep pace now that their reconnoitering had recommenced.

Should we be marking? he wondered, eyes cutting to his elder’s face, realizing just how late it had gotten by the shadows falling across it.
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
Tuulu chuckled. Yes, we should be, he answered. The beta had been more concerned with Cal, but no matter; there was still plenty of border to mark. 

He trotted forward and inspected a large tree that sat on the edge of their territory. It looked like it had been there for a very long time; its trunk was huge and its branches were long. It was a nice tree. The Tatkret lifted his leg and marked it. He decided it would be a good visual marker for this section of the borders. 

Anything you think needs to be marked, go for it, he told the younger man.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
Tuuluuwaq confirmed his suspicions before performing what could only be called a demonstration. Caracal watched, eager to mimic him, even as he suddenly felt himself crashing. It had been quite the adventurous day, after all.

Hiding a yawn against the back of his paw, he trotted past the Beta and approached a scraggly shrub. Caracal pressed flush to it and kicked up a leg with such enthusiasm, it looked like he might fall over backward. He relaxed and a stream of urine hit the branches audibly. He let his entire bladder empty in one go, not thinking about how he should reserve some for another spot.

When he was finished drenching the shrub, he righted himself and bounded over to Tuuluuwaq, wondering if he’d get any feedback on his technique.
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
Cal seemed eager to follow his example, and Tuulu waited for him. The young man's inexperience showed instantly, but the beta saw it as an opportunity to teach, which he always liked to do. 

When Cal joined him, he nodded. I usually hold some back so that I can mark multiple things, but you can also use your nails to claw the trunks of trees; it will be a visual and scent marker to anyone that might stumble onto our borders.

He waited for any questions as he started to move again. There was plenty of border to patrol.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
Ohhh, Caracal said, bobbing his head, right-o. That did make sense. His brow momentarily furrowed, though it smoothed out when Tuuluuwaq assured him there were ways he could mark despite having emptied his bladder.

For a while, they meandered around the base of the summit, hiking a leg (at least in the Beta’s case) and clawing everything in sight (in Caracal’s). They worked past dark and the yearling’s eyes began to droop, though he was determined to hang in there until Tuuluuwaq dismissed him.
187 Posts
Ooc — hela
Tuulu could tell after a while that Cal was growing tired. They had done a sufficient job for the night in the beta's opinion. 

Thank you for the help, he said, coming to a stop. I think it is time to call it a night. He gave a slight smile. We can pick back up tomorrow if you would like.

Now, though, he only wanted to find his mate and spend the rest of the night with her.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
He barely suppressed his sigh of relief when Tuuluuwaq called it a night. Okay, Caracal replied by rote, sure. Honestly, there was a good chance he’d forget or sleep in tomorrow, especially after his busy day. But right at the moment, he was certainly eager to please.

And his mind was elsewhere: namely, a bed, any bed. Night, he said simply, not daring to try out the Beta’s name. He raised his paw to his temple and saluted the older man with a click of his tongue, then turned to find somewhere comfy and close to collapse.