Nimbus Summit knock me off my feet
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
Private 
He felt like he still didn’t know many of the wolves who lived here, though that was nobody’s fault but his own. And only Caracal could put it to rights, by spending time on the summit and seeking out his pack mates. At least he’d stuck around for more than a few days at a time recently, that was a start!

He decided to seek out @Veteran today. Everything Heda had told him about the boy made him curious. Caracal asked around but nobody seemed to know Vet’s exact location, so the spry red yearling made his way to the southern border and howled the other boy’s name.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
190 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Couldn't remember if they've met to save my life. I'll edit if need be!

Veteran didn't immediately recognize the owner of the voice that summoned him, and he drifted toward the source with curiosity. It was unusual for anyone to be asking for him by name.. well, anyone other than his mother or Issorartuyok. He supposed that was one of the consequences of spending so much time at the edges of the packlands, torn between a duty to guard and his mother's insistence that he take the time to explore what the world had to offer. 

Veteran zeroed in on the origin point of the howl, and the red-orange hues of the caller's coat captured his attention. He approached with a wagging tail and friendly gait. 

"Oh, hey!" he said, one he reached a comfortable distance to speak. "You're Mom's apprentice, right..? Caracal?" 
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
I think they may have met briefly in passing, haha, which I also forgot. In any case, your post works just fine! :)

The young man that approached wore a scar on his face that immediately drew Caracal’s attention. He winced a little—that must’ve hurt—but there was an admiring quality to his gaze too. His gaze traveled further, taking in his fellow yearling’s marbled pelt and rangy stride, before moving back to his face and catching on bright, icy eyes.

Hi, he said, noting Vet’s amiable demeanor and matching it pace for pace. Yep, that’s me! It’s Veteran, right? Caracal appreciated the relative simplicity of that name, though he wondered if he could get away with calling him Vet. Thanks for coming. Heda mentioned you, said you were really cool, actually, so I had to meet you, he quipped companionably.

Heda had mentioned he was Lane’s son, then Veteran himself had just brought it up. It made Caracal wonder if he’d followed in his mother’s footsteps. But Heda hadn’t mentioned that, so Caracal found himself saying, She also said you’re a hunter. Was wondering if may you’d like to hunt together today, if you’re not busy?
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
190 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
"Yep," Veteran echoed, confirming his name with a wag of his tail. Heda's name came up, and Veteran tilted his head with interest.

Heda mentioned you, said you were really cool.

Veteran swallowed thickly.

"Oh, really..? She said that?" Veteran asked, hoping he sounded more offhand than he felt. 

Then came the invitation, which forced Veteran's thoughts to move forward. 

"Hunting..? Hmm. You know, that's really more Heda's thing.." Veteran was surprised that she had named him as a hunter, and more than a little affected. "..But can't get better without practice, right? I say let's do it!" Knowing that Heda thought of him as a hunter, he was reluctant to let her down. 

Also, Caracal seemed pretty cool himself. Ensio and Arius were great, but they both took themselves pretty seriously. Caracal's more easygoing vibe was right up Veteran's alley, and there was some real friend potential here.
666 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Medic
Missionary
Yep! She said I’d like you and… Caracal paused before cracking a grin, I think she’s right. He wondered if Veteran sensed it too, an immediate spark of comradeship between them. It was almost as if they’d met before and known each other a while, this was simply a reunion.

Veteran didn’t seem entirely confident in his hunting skills, though he said they could use the practice. Right on, Caracal could only agree. It’s not really my thing either but I figure it’s a good life skill to have, you know? He laughed a little, then gestured to the forest sprawling to the south.

Starting to head that way, he turned his face sideways to continue the conversation as they made their way there. So what is your thing? Caracal wondered.
190 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
I think she's right. 

Veteran smiled back at Caracal. Looking upon the other boy's face, he was reminded of Meerkat, although he wondered if he would have made the connection if he hadn't already known they were related. 

So neither of them were hunters, then. Veteran laughed along with Caracal, glad that their hunting was likely to be relatively low-stakes, given that neither of them claimed any prowess. 

They started toward the forest south of the Summit. "Lizards," he answered Caracal's inquiry quickly, without much thought. Immediately realizing that his response was a little weird, he amended quickly, "Or-- actually, I'm a guardian." He looked over at Caracal, smiling sheepishly.