Redsand Canyon Hangman is comin’ down from the gallows, and I don’t have very long.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
Towhee didn’t even get twenty-four hours to recover from the birth before shit hit the fan again. She was minding her own business, nursing and otherwise tending to the newborn @Leona and @Jack Snipe, when the tremors came. She shook so badly, it actually dislodged the pups.

Standing abruptly, Towhee tried to step away from them and @Maxim, lest she accidentally hurt one of them. She took a few wobbly steps away from the bedding before sinking to the cool earthen floor of the den, pawing at her face and shaking uncontrollably.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
if i misunderstood anything let me know <3

maxim's world had expanded. then shrunk. eyes that once looked upon everything with a boyish claim now looked heavily upon towhee and their children. it would be only them that mattered, in these first few days. weeks, perhaps. months even. he could not say.

but suddenly that little bubble of his world was popped.

towhee was...he did not know.

wrong.

she removed herself from the children after a harsh shake and now she trembled, pawing at her face and shaking. shaking. fear bubbled violently in his throat. he needed to tend to her, he needed to tend to the children.

she would not hear him but that did not stop him from crooning in a whine. towhee? awkwardly crouching between her and the children. towhee. whether she responded or not, improved or remained the same, he would very quickly send up a panicked call.

@Aquene or @Kallik or anybody who might be able to aid him with this odd manner.

learing ptero from towhee. words that are signed will be portrayed -like this-
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior

She attempted to control the shaking or, at the very least, calm it. But Towhee couldn’t stop. She scrubbed at her face, panting as panic began to take hold. What the hell was happening to her?

Towhee felt Maxim crouch down beside her. Still wracked with tremors, she looked at him and realized the babies were left alone on the bedding. Frightened as she felt, the newborns were her priority.

Call, Towhee muttered between chattering teeth, her tongue barely cooperating. Would he even be able to understand her? She couldn’t possibly sign right now. For. Aquene.

Maybe the medicus could help her, maybe not. But she could definitely keep those pups fed and warm, in case Towhee couldn’t. And as the convulsions worsened and she began to lose consciousness, she suddenly knew: I’m going to die.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
128 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Alright, so being born was something of a wet rollercoaster. After Towhee had gotten them cleaned off and back to a place where they would be a bit safer, Jack found himself growing into the idea of being a baby. One of the biggest benefits of being the baby was that milk was on tap and Leona and Jack had free refills for life – or, well… for several months.

The little Jack Snipe was feeding greedily when the first tremors overtook his mother. He opened his mouth and garbled out a burp. Then she shoved him like a dirty little rat! Pick a lane, mom. Jack squealed with surprise and upset. The milk was gone. The warmth was gone. Everything was just falling apart, and he really didn’t have the patience to sit through it all.

A small round lump of a puppy began to squirm toward his sibling Leona, thinking that the warmth of their body was Towhee's.
483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
strangled by the fear, threatened by the immense weight of it all.

-i called, i called.- he assured her, uncertain if she could even hold on to understand any of it. he wanted to weep in the face of it all. to lay on her and beg her to stop, to force it all away. but the children squirmed. they too would face an awful fate if nobody tended to them as well, he was certain of this.

shh, shh, he'd coo to them, quick to scoop the children to his own side. they would find no food but at least there would be warmth and shelter.

another call, louder and (if even possible) further urgency pushed in his voice. this was dire. a horrible, terrible situation.

he could not do this alone.

he could not do any of this alone.

-stay with me, please, towhee-

signed poorly around the children at his side and he feared that she wouldn't even see it. that she wouldn't see him.

that she wouldn't see the children at his side.

my monsters are real; they're trained how to kill
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
The call rose and at first, Aquene had not heard it, still half asleep from a nap she took as she nursed her own children… he had started to stir with it but quickly she was shaken from her slumber with a dire urgency that had her upright. She called for @Kallik to watch over their children as she answered the call. Once ensuring her children were watched over by someone she bolted for the den that the call came from.

To her horror, she saw one of her best friends seizing on the floor of her den, just steps away from her children. She arrived, quickly brushing her nose along the woman’s fur to feel for some kind of temperature. “She’s seizing. It’s an after effect from her labor.” She explained quickly as she moved to wrap around the woman as best as she could and cushion her head to keep her from banging it on the round. “Maxim, I’ve got her. Go find fish, preferably salmon, and mushrooms… she needs the nutrients from them.” The command might have sounded odd, but it was the treatment. She’d only seen it a few times before but it could balance things out for her.

“Towhee, listen to me. You’re going to be okay… your body is drained right now, and feeding your pups pushed you over the edge. Try and relax. The spasms will slow and I’ll make sure they don’t hurt you in the meantime.” They could deal with the seizures first and everything else after the fact.
Aquene speaks both русский язык and Common. She does not carry a Russian accent. Her knowledge of Russian is not common knowledge.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Her vision dimmed, preventing Towhee from seeing Maxim’s reaction or anything else going on around her. She couldn’t be sure whether or not she lost consciousness, though the next thing she knew, Aquene’s scent was filling her nose. She sensed the woman’s healing touch, pressing close to her body still wracked by convulsions.

An errant thought raced through her mind. Is this how her newborns felt: blind, deaf and squirming uncontrollably? Despite everything, a huff of wheezing laughter escaped her. Simultaneously, some of the darkness edging her eyes receded and she found herself staring blearily at the side of the healer’s head.

She couldn’t possibly pick up any of Aquene’s reassurances, though she was still glad she was here. Please look after my babies, Towhee rasped, wanting to get that out just in case this really was the end. That was her last request, along with, And don’t give them stupid names.

660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
She heard her plea and in that moment, the woman felt her own heart break as she shook her head. “I won’t need to look after your babies. Their momma will look after them plenty.” She assured her softly, because there was no way she’d let Towhee fall to this. “You just need rest… that’s all. You’re not going to die so I’ll hear none of that, Towhee.” She knew that Towhee could not hear her right now, but it was more of the reassurances she felt like she needed to say out loud for herself. She wasn’t going to die. They were going to help her.

She nosed lightly to show at least she had heard what the woman said, though she’d leave it to the deaf woman to decipher it as she would… whatever would comfort her most. All there was, was to have her rest and let the seizures continue to rock her until they subsided, then she could explain more to the woman what was happening and the plan going forward. It was terrifying, but she couldn’t imagine how it was for the deaf woman in front of her who was not capable of hearing her reassurances.
Aquene speaks both русский язык and Common. She does not carry a Russian accent. Her knowledge of Russian is not common knowledge.
483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
each ticking moment he felt more certain that this was it. no one would answer him, he would be left alone with fragile children and a seizing towhee.

then came aquene, quick to tend to the scene and send him off on a task. his breath hitched hard. he didn't want to leave, who would tend to the children while aquene tended to towhee? he grimaced, molars pinching the inside of his cheeks.

the children, aquene. he said, voice wavering more than he cared for it to. i don't want — i can go but they...everyone needs you.

he felt so helpless.

if she promised to tend to the children too (or find a way to protect their precious forms) he would set off on his task. tears in his eyes the whole time.

Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
I talked to Teo and they said Jack will be making cameo posts, so we can proceed. :)

Quite suddenly, the shaking subsided, leaving Towhee limp on the floor of the den. She blinked quite a few times, just lying there and breathing for a minute or two. Then, tentatively, she tried lifting her head. Her whole body ached for the movement—and she felt quite weak and wobbly—but she actually managed to roll onto her belly and sit up a little.

She wasn’t dead. Of course, Towhee wanted to know what the hell had just happened, what was wrong with her. But first, she looked over to the puppies. Mindlessly, she dragged herself back toward them, curling around the two little ones. She worried about getting the shakes again, though she was confident that Aquene or Maxim would get them out of harm’s way if they started up again.

33 Posts
Ooc —
Also cameo!

Leona finally woke up from her deep sleep when her mother began to shimmy in uncountable spasms upon the floor, like this was some kind of impromptu dance party.

She let out a sharp whistling note of despair having not been invited to join in, then kicked the air and grappled with the nearest warm body (which happened to be Jack).

She instinctively grabbed for a piece to suckle on for comforts sake and ended up mouthing one of his little ears, otherwise settling in to a choke-hold while she 'nursed'.
128 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Yeah, Aquene, the children

Jack Snipe was close to his father, but it really wasn’t the same. Squirm as he might, the baby boy could not find where the milk faucet was on Maxim. He wasn’t pleased with having been tossed aside, but there was no real understanding of what was happening to their mother. While she suffered, Jack Snipe believed he suffered too. 

Leona was mostly sleeping. When she came around again it was not a pleasant experience. Her feeble little legs grabbed at him! Jack squealed - a sign of the end of the world.
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
Aquene frowned as they were both pulled in every which direction by both the children and each other. There was only so much that could be done at the moment. “Go. I will keep an eye on them. When you return, you will take them to the Matrona and ask her to watch them and feed them while I tend to Towhee. It will be safer for them there and we can collect them once she is okay. Her spasms could disorient them.” She gave the command quickly to him. She would figure out how to multitask in the meantime.

She would have him call for her husband to assist with the carrying, but unfortunately their own children were too young to leave alone as well. There were only two, which hopefully would make it easier to transport them since the palazzo was not terribly far once he had returned. Perhaps even Germanicus might hear all of the ruckus and assist with getting them to Ruenna. Her focus in the moment had to be the seizing Towhee.

Except she was suddenly going still, though she still breathed and blinked and Aquene let out a sigh of relief. She shifted to look at Towhee so that the mother might see her lips and understand. “The birth and feeding have taken a lot out of you… you don’t have the right nutrients and your pups feeding off of you caused the spasms you had… your husband will be getting you some food and for at least the next few days, I will feed your children alongside mine. You are not going to die, but you will likely be tired… your vision might blur, you might feel pain or headaches… it’s not pleasant, but you will get through this.” She assured the woman softly as she moved to separate Jacksnipe from Leona and pull them both to her breast… multitasking, right?
483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
he can be skipped for a round or so, just to account for food gathering <3 i'll throw him back in when it seems right

aquene, so steadfast and smart. he had nothing but awe and respect for her in these fierce moments. stronger than he was. stronger than he may ever be.

he would depart to go sort through caches, hoping to find what was needed. fish. mushrooms. the plant he was uncertain on but...he would make sure he returned with plenty nonetheless.

Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Distracted as she was by snuggling her newborns, Towhee caught snatches of the exchange between Aquene and Maxim. When the healer mentioned taking the pups to the Matrona, she curled possessively around her babies. She loved Rue and absolutely trusted her best friend to look out for her children, yet Towhee’s entire being revolted at the idea of them being taken away from her.

Before she could muster up the strength to protest verbally, the healer faced her fully and began to explain what had gone awry. Towhee’s ears pinned to her head. She suddenly realized that her early lactation and feeding of the Matrona’s pups must have contributed to this. She exhaled shakily. It made a sort of sense that simultaneously feeding Rue’s pups and growing her own might do a number on her body, though Towhee hadn’t ever give it much thought until now.

Please don’t take them from me, the Redhawk murmured when Aquene finished. Can we carry them to your den? And I’ll stay with them there.

She peered down at the two as they gummed at one another, reeling when she realized she would have to push them away from her own breast if and when they attempted to nurse. Towhee felt tears prick at her eyes, then looked over at the medicus for her response.

660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
Her eyes softened as she saw the conflict on the woman’s features and she shook her head. “I am not taking them from you. These children are your children, Towhee. Just, for a short time, you need to let Rue and I help you take care of them. That’s all… you can be there the entire time. Once your nutrients start to level out which should start once your husband returns, you shouldn't experience any more tremors like you just did.” She didn’t want the woman to think she was trying to rip the children away from her. She moved closer to her so she could still be closer to them while they fed. She hated seeing her friend in pain, but she also needed to ensure that she did not die. She didn’t know if she could survive another loss, and her children needed her.

She asked about her den and she nodded. “You can stay with them the entire time. We’ll get you loaded up on fish and mushrooms and then you’ll be back to feeding them in no time, I promise. I’ve seen this before…” She needed her to know it was not her first time handling the situation, though admittedly she did not have a lot of experience with it either. At least she had some, right? She’d seen her mother treat it before.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
The medic made a compelling argument. Towhee intended to obey doctor’s orders… in everything but this. Still reeling from her episode, not to mention the melodramatic birthing that had preceded it, she said nothing for a moment. But the “no” was written all over her face. They would be taking her kids to the palazzo over her dead body. It was just too far away for her.

Let’s move them to your den now, she countered, since it was much closer. I think I can walk at least that far.

Turning away to mute any argument the healer might make, Towhee gently grasped Leona and gingerly walked out of the den. Her legs felt a bit jellylike but she ignored it as she concentrated on making it safely to her destination. She did not glance back, assuming Aquene would bring her son and Maxim would figure out where they’d gone.

660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
Sorry she's grumpy
She could see the pure reluctance on her friends face, and it was met with a soft and sympathetic sigh and her own conflicted eyes. The last thing she wanted was for the woman to be upset, even with the influx of hormones that her pregnancy and laboring had provided with her to make her just that… still, it was what needed to be done. She opened her mouth to argue with her insistence to move right away. There was no rush… and yet, she was turning away to mute the woman… and Aquene huffed with annoyance and irritation, still levelling out from her own birthing, though she was much farther along in the process.

“Rude pain-in-the-ass dude looks like a lady.” She muttered under her breath simply as an outlet as she picked up Jack Snipe, hovering close to Towhee should she start to convulse again and preparing the scolding she would be dishing out once they arrived at Casa Aquillik.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
We love her. <3

She reached the den the medicus and her husband shared. Kallik and the twins were inside, of course. Towhee paused in the doorway and huffed, glancing behind her to make sure Aquene was there with her before stepping inside. She pointedly ignored the look on the healer’s face for the moment.

Soon enough, everybody was settled in the den. Before Aquene had any opportunity to chastise her, Towhee tearfully pushed her babes toward the other woman and retreated against the wall. She slid down it, resigned.

She drew in a deep breath, squared her shoulders and finally looked into Aquene’s face. The woman had saved her life, was about to save her children’s, and Towhee had gotten her way with the rooming situation. So if Aquene needed to let off a little steam, the Redhawk felt just strong enough to give her that.

660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
Aquene had it all prepared. She was going to scold Towhee for getting up and remind her that they could have simply stayed in the Maxhee pad for a few more minutes or even hours if only to make sure she was stable. It was not a far walk but even that journey had been done on shaky limbs and what would have happened had she dropped Leona? She could have accidentally crushed her own child!

The children were nudged her way and Towhee wouldn’t look at her, the nature of her deafness not allowing her to start the scolding… and yet, it was probably a good thing. When the Redhawk gazed up, the sadness and resigned nature of her appearance as she prepared to take what Aquene had prepared… it made her resolve crumble at her feet. She couldn’t yell at Towhee! Towhee was like her dirty talking grandma who offered free life advice! Instead, her eyes softened, still frowning. “It’s not forever, Towhee… just a few days, or a week at most…” Perhaps a timeline might help her more.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Aquene took pity on her, which made Towhee feel worse somehow. She dropped her gaze momentarily then looked up and nodded her acknowledgement and understanding. Her orange eyes were apologetic and more than a little damp at this point.

I know. I’ll do everything you tell me to do from now on. I want to get better so I can… The lump in her throat prevented her from speaking for a moment. And know that I’m very, very, very grateful for what you’re doing.

If Towhee said another word, she was going to lose it. And as grateful as she felt, she couldn’t watch her newborns nurse on another woman right now. So she huddled against the wall, shaky legs tucked beneath her chest and face turned toward the door to await Maxim.

636 Posts
Ooc — hela
Guardian
Kallik had the twins between his front paws, hugging them to his chest as he waited for his wife to return. She had left quickly when Maxim called for help. Kallik had no idea what was going on, but he was on high alert. His senses were acutely attuned to anything going on outside the den. Usually, he was the one to answer a call, but this had been for Aquene. Still, he didn't like it. How was he supposed to know if she needed help?

The time ticked by, and kallik didn't ease his awareness one bit. In fact, the longer he waited, the more tense he became. So when he heard a sound outside the den, he raised to his feet to stand over his sons. His body language was aggressive, his lip lifting. He was ready to lunge. But he was stopped by the realization that it was Towhee; she walked in with a tiny child in her mouth, Aquene right behind her, another child between her own jaws. He released a long sigh in an attempt to calm his nerves, then he settled back down with the twins, pulling them to his chest again. 

He watched silently as the two walked in, apparently in mid conversation. He could tell Aquene was upset, which upset him in return. What had happened? 

Aquene started feeding what he could only assume were Towhee's pups, and that was when he spoke up. What is going on? he asked his wife. Clearly something happened other than Towhee giving birth.
Inuttuk
Common
483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
and here he came, grateful to see the face of towhee in a much more normal state. aquene, and even kallik, still present. he supposed it was for the best that they weren't all held up in maxhee pad anymore but...it did hurt. to see her here, like this. their children at another's side.

maxim did not know much about this life, but he did know this felt wrong.

in his jaws were two fish. unable to figure out how the hell he could get mushrooms and what kind were even needed. an apologetic look would be given to the healer. then, if not prevented from doing so, he sought to settle close to towhee.

as silent and emotional as she was, unsure where to even go from here.

660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
Sorry for the delay
She frowned as the woman promised that she would follow her orders. Somehow, Aquene found it doubtful. She could not imagine what the woman was going through but she chose not to try and chide her any further… it was the last thing that she needed. “It’s no problem, Towhee. I know you would do the same for me if our roles were reversed.” She assured the woman softly before her own husband was asking the pivotal questions.

“Towhee had spasms.” She explained, not having any fancy medical term because it was simply what it had always been called in the homeland. “Feeding the Matrona’s pups and then her own caused a drain on her system… likely because her body was prepared for two pups but took on feeding four for awhile before her two… she didn’t have the right nutrient levels for it. Her and I are both going to be switching to a fish diet for awhile while she gets the nutrients back. I’m doing it as well to ensure the same doesn’t happen to me… I’ll be feeding her pups along with Nanuq and Siku until she can feed them herself. It shouldn't be long to reset her system.” She explained as she looked down at all four children, the two by her husband and the who nursing from her.

She would figure out the mushrooms later. The fish were more than enough to get started. “Eat up, Towhee.” She encouraged as she motioned towards the fish.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Behind her, Aquene debriefed Kallik on the situation. Towhee remained deaf to that conversation, of course, her eyes drifting to her forepaws as a single teardrop escaped and plopped into the dust between them.

Maxim arrived shortly thereafter. Although her anxiety tied her stomach into knots, she glanced over at the medicus and saw the plain instructions. She nodded, then sighed and began to pick at the meal.

-Thank you,- she signed to her mate, then added, -You should go inside and stay close to them. I’ll join you when I can…-

Taking a deep breath, she resigned herself to the simple if not easy task of filling her stomach with nourishing food, so she could one day soon return to nourishing her children.

NO APOLOGIES, TASHA!!! Anyway, I think this will be my last. Thanks for playing.