2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
All Welcome 
backdated to may 19, afternoon

"i am told you are formerly of the saints."

the imperator had been directed to the prince @Charles' rooms. his eyes fell upon the man. and now he spoke. "is this true?" and now he was silent. 

the eagle waited. thus far, such a man would be his choice of suspect.
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Charles honestly kind of thought he could just skim over the fact that he was ever a part of the Saints. He totally did not expect anyone to show interest in it ever again in is life. Imagine his surprise when the prince was lazing about his chambers eating berries and getting groomed by @Sayf when suddenly he was confronted with this man that asked him directly, as the first thing to say, about the Saints. Charles coughed up a berry in surprise and then he quickly directed Sayf to leave the room.

Moments later he regretted ever telling the servant to leave, because he suddenly felt very cornered by the stranger. Who asks? Charles asked in return rather than answering the question, his eyes widened with an indignant fear shimmering in them.
an hour of wolves and shattered shields
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"i am germanicus, imperator of mereo. we are an ally to pharaoh ramesses. he asked me here to conduct an investigation."

sayf had slipped past him. the eagle did not blink. "may i sit?" fear was clear in the coywolf. it did not help the soldier's suspicions.
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Investigation? Charles repeated awkwardly, the word foreign to him. It seemed to him like this Germanicus was speaking difficultly on purpose, but he did not utter such accusations out loud. Instead he said, Yes of course, sit. Charles gestured to some of the many lavish pelts that were strewn around the room. He glanced from Germanicus to the berries and said, Have a berry, if you want. A charming smile broke through on the coywolf's face as he offered. Sayf was gone; he was alone, now, and he felt it, but he was intent on not letting Germanicus notice it too much.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"no, thank you." he remembered too well those wretched little fruits.

the eagle sat down. his face was grave. "did you ever know the queen satsu? perhaps she called you to her chambers, or you shared a walk outside the palace."

the yellow eyes missed nothing.
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Charles felt weird that his guest was so strict. So far, everyone had been respectful of him -- for reasons beyond his imagining -- and jovial, but now the mood was suddenly sour. Even when Queen Satsu was mentioned Charles didn't immediately get it. Who? He asked, but only then realised who she was. Oh. The dead Queen. No, I did not know her. That was all that he could say about that.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
it felt forced.

germanicus remained as he was.

"how long have you been here in akashingo?"
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
How long? Charles blinked, trying to remember exactly. Uh... A few months. He almost added 'Why?' but ended up not doing so. He looked intently at Germanicus, feeling nervous and a little audacious. It felt as if he was a bomb about to explode; about to say something stupid that might make this wolf snap. Perhaps a part of Charles wanted that to happen.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"a few months but you did not once meet the queen?"

germanicus prodded at this.

"were you sent to akashingo, prince charles?"
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
It was embarrassing to admit that he hadn't met the queen again, especially now that Germanic prodded at it so. Charles felt his cheeks flush as he looked away and said, That's right. He hadn't even considered it.

The next question confused him a bit. Sent? Uh, no, I was — How should one call it? — Asked to come. By Ramesses. Commanded, more like it, but this man did not need to know that.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"asked to come by ramesses? did you abandon the saints in between?" surely that was the story, this ragged little upstart picked up and cherished by a man who thought himself a god. "you see, a spy sent by akashingo's gravest enemy would have the largest motive to kill his queen, who was once also of the saints herself."
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Charles blinked rapidly and nervously as he was pressed further. He didn't know the answer to all of these questions! He didn't even know the queen had been part of the Saints! I left them a bit ago. Long before I come here, Charles said in a high-pitched, cracked voice. Ask Ramesses. He — I don't know why — he want me to come. He tried to put together who the queen had even been, but his mind drew a blank. Charles had no idea what to make of any of this.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
charles broke. his outburst changed nothing about germanicus.

he was used to targets cracking beneath his pressure.

he pinned the noble for a long time with his eyes. "have you killed before?"
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
The tension was palpable. The gaze was hard and forceful on Charles. At the next question, his eyes widened. What?! No! Never! he blurted out only too hastily.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
charles panicked.

germanicus cleared his throat. "my lord prince. i am trying to conduct an investigation. we are all suspects, including myself."

his voice was composed.

"the saints kill. it is why i asked."
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Charles blinked, looking a little confused at the words. Yes, of course, he said, almost breathlessly so.

After swallowing thickly, Charles said, Yes. Of course. I get. I... Never killed anyone. Not that he remembered, anyway. He'd been there, when they... But he had not actually killed her himself. He hadn't... Had he?
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
he did not think charles was a suspect. he was jumpy and fearful. an assassin would not stand for either quality.

"is there anything you can think of that might be of use to me, your highness?"
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
It seemed like finally the guy was getting off Charles' back. The coywolf felt equal amounts of disappointment and relief about that. He kinda wanted to tell him not to leave, but Charles bit back the urge to do so and instead just shook his head. No. I can't think of anything. It was nice to have some company. He didn't get company all that often; at least, company in the voluntary form. The servants had to visit him, of course, but most of the rest of the Mesa stayed away as much as Charles stayed away from them. It was nice to actually have someone to visit, but Charles' pride kept him from asking the man to stay. Besides, he'd probably just be laughed at, anyway; to be so lonely as to ask a random investigator to keep him company.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"i will be in the palace for some days longer if you think of anything."

germanicus bowed to the prince and departed. how could a pack of such weak creatures still be ramesses' enemy? and why had he taken charles into the palace at all?

but these were questions that would not be answered.
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Yea, okay, Charles said uneasily. He could feel the judgement oozing from the soldier, and it made him feel ashamed. Charles licked his lips in a subconscious sign of submission as he watched him leave, left to stew in his shame alone -- and stew he would, mostly by demanding the servants to bring him more berries.