Deepwood Weald krymménos
53 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
He felt like a secret within the Weald. Shadewood had concealed him, but the darkness here seemed to hide him in a way that made him feel invisible.

Melaneus didn’t mind.

He watched from the shadows and the ground of red fern. So easily able to find himself lost, yet he found this did not scare him, though maybe it should have.

Through murky eyes he took in the passerbys, and thought that if one did not notice him, he would steal behind them and see how long he could follow until they did.
Moontide
Alpha*
-I am a gentleman. My natural inclination is to be on my best behavior.-
1,236 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
hopefully this isn't pack lands. I can delete it if it is.

Rodyn walked along the mountains and valleys. His eyes on the horizon, while his mind stayed on the wolves he had met. He was mindful of borders, knowing full well packs were starting up. He didn't wish to accidentally tread on someones land and die for it.

It was with wandering mind, Rodyn came to a deep forest and he stopped as a prickling of unease skated along his back. He felt someone watching, waiting but he couldn't discern from where.

He looked around, growling softly to himself. He saw and heard no onr, so he took a careful step forward eyes ahead, ears laid to his skull. He'd watch and wait. See if they'd reveal themselves.
53 Posts
Ooc —
We’re not an established pack yet! I’m very happy for you to hop in! I remember you from when you wrote for Blue Willow, Jace, and Adlartok! I used to play Kaihra, Andalusia, and Malachi, if you remember any of them! :) It’s so good to have you back!!

Who was this?

Someone new?

Melaneus watched as the stranger passed him by. Tall, and dark. Would he one day grow to be like this man? Melaneus wondered, and  decided  he might like to be someone smaller, surely someone so big could not hide like he hid.

The stranger paused and the child cupped his ears. Soft growls lifted through the misty light. Should he be afraid?

Melaneus stilled himself and watched, through eyes unblinking. He thought the man might still see him if he moved right now. He would wait and see if he might begin walking again.
Moontide
Alpha*
1,236 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
[quote="Melaneus" pid='526905' dateline='1654116795']
Hello darling. I remember them. Thank you for the kind words. It's good to be back.

The prickling of unease only grew with each step in mind. He couldn't quite shake the feeling of being watched, but it didn't feel malicious. Merely curious, but one could never tell with others. 

Rodyn had always been a large youth. Even as a youngling. Now at 2, he was larger than most, and strong. He liked that he could protect and care for others with his size. And little pups enjoyed climbing atop him and tugging his ears. He didn't know if he would have liked to be smaller or not never thought of it.

Rodyn shook his head and quieted his growl and started towards where he was going.
53 Posts
Ooc —
It seemed to Melaneus the man took him for shadows, for the man started walking again. And what he heard from the man’s footfalls astounded the child, for in the place of expected noise Melaneus heard nothing at all!

His own steps were still often clumsy, not having yet grown into his oversized paws. But like mother and father, and this man here, he took courage knowing that he, too, might one day move like a hidden one.

Melaneus slipped from his hidden perch and sought to follow after, shifting through the shadows.
110 Posts
Ooc — The System
Vorilye emerged from the shadows, a low growl sounding at the back of his throat as he caught the scents of both one of his young, and a stranger. He pushed through the brush, coming up behind his son; he could see the stranger from here. He called out, "You there. You are trespassing."
"Common." · "Greek." · "Thieves' Cant"

Physical Health (100/100)

Astraios is healthy.

Mental Health (100/100)

Astraios is mentally well.
Moontide
Alpha*
1,236 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
Rodyn had learned on crinkled leaves to watch his step and how. There had always been a new task to learn. So he tread on careful feet, body taut and ready.

Rodyn could remember well the oversized, clumsiness of puppyhood. A movement in his perepheal he caught sight. However, he decided suddenly to say nothing and was glad he hadn't for his saw a tiny little shadow following his larger steps.

At first he had thought prey, but he began to see the shape a wolf pup toddled after him attempting stealth. With a small secret smile he spoke though not at the pup. He pretended not to see him.

Rodyn had been about to play a game with the pup. Try and teach him a bit of stealth while feigning blindness. But was not to be.

A growl resounded and his first instinct was to block the pup from whatever came. Until the smell of them both came to his nose. He froze eyes on the wolf who growled and looked around in confusion. He had been careful not to pass pack lines. He had scented others but they had been weak jothing like patrols and established packs.

I apologize I didn't smell borders only wolves. I have spoken with Themis, Kukutux and Sialuk in this area. I will gladly leave if you"ll allow me.
53 Posts
Ooc —
Melaneus watched his paws more than his surroundings, careful of where he placed each step - so that when he looked upward he saw the man looking forward, and not behind, and a smile blossomed in the young boy’s heart. Just wait until he told his family of how well he had been a hidden one today! And yet, even still, he knew he would let the boasting wait  there was so much more yet to learn.

He found himself watching the way the older man moved, and tried to copy him, but a familiar voice interrupted his efforts.

Melaneus nearly jumped out of his skin.

Dad! He remained soundless, but fixed his eyes on the approaching shape of his father - who seemed more intent on the stranger than on him, at least, for the moment.

But was this stranger as strange as they thought? Melaneus piqued his ears when his mother’s name graced the strangers lips, and turned to watch his father, that he might see what he would do.
110 Posts
Ooc — The System
So, he had spoken to Themis; other names he didn't know, and Themis' was the only one that mattered to him, anyways. He frowned, then glanced down to his son; his presence had really been the only factor to determine his aggression. He must keep them safe.

Vorilye huffed lowly, then grunted, "No, it seems I am behind the times; if you have met with Themis..." His voice trailed off, then another frown, and he asked, "Did you join the pack, then, or are you just wandering?"

Astraios is healthy.

Mental Health (100/100)

Moontide
Alpha*
1,236 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
His conversation with Themis is still ongoing. So I will be vague.

Rodyn followed his gaze and smiled. You have an avid tracker on your hands. He was tracking me as i walked. I didn't even notice him at first The last part was purely for the youth's benefit and he gave his father a knowing smile, hoping he would understand what he wasn't saying.

Rodyn didn't share that he had wanted to play a game with the pup, or that he hadn't been bothered in the least.

I have not joined anything as of yet. I am merely wandering, but I am actively looking. I was trying to find a pla.ce to sit and think of the three I have met. I have met three Vasillas's that I have spoken with about their packs. Now I want to mull over which one would be a good fit for myself. I apologize again if I passed your scent markers. When I met Themis we were in a different area, I thought that that was merely her new pack lands and the scents here were just from passing through.

He added the word that Themis had used in case like Themis he didn't use the term Alpha or Alphess. He didn't wish to add more confusion. I'm Rodyn by the way.
53 Posts
Ooc —
His father looked to him. Then, his aggression was deferred. Melaneus blinked, and returned his watch to Rodyn.

The man’s praise pierced through the darkness that shrouded Melaneus’ fur. He did not smile outwardly but in the straightening of his spine. Inwardly, he tucked the praise away alongside the tall man’s face.

Even if he did not stay, he would remember him.

Melaneus decided he hoped he did stay, for he wished to learn more about this stranger, and more from him. He had been about to follow Rodyn’s footfalls when father had come, after all!
110 Posts
Ooc — The System
Vorilye's pale gaze fell to his son as the other male spoke of the boy tracking him. A small smile formed on his muzzle, only for his son's eyes. "Good job, son," the Cruor man murmured, gently pressing his muzzle to the boy's forehead.

The stranger spoke more; he was debating which pack to join. Vorilye nodded, and when the male introduced himself, the Cruor man replied, "I do not give my name to strangers. But this is the pack's new territory, and as you've seen, we have young here." Vorilye didn't like the thought of strangers roaming their territory. Still, he remained unaggressive, if still guarded. His claws flexed into the soil, and he took a deep breath. "How long will you remain in the area?"

Astraios is healthy.

Mental Health (100/100)

Moontide
Alpha*
1,236 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
A warm smile worked it's way on Rodyn's face as he traced over the pup. He would remember this little shadow stalker. Really and truly.

The display between father and son, tightened Rodyn's chest and he had to turn away quickly, less the others see his emotions. He missed his family more than he had realized. He knew this was the way of things and he would get over it, but the first bite of miss was hard.

I can respect that. Rodyn dipped his head. He wouldn't press his luck, and he probably shouldn't be as quick to give out his name, but he did it and couldn't take it back now. Perhaps he would be cautionary after this.

Rodyn Tilted his head. After our conversation I'll leave the area. I promise. I wouldn't want to impose or put anyone on guard. And I definitely like my hide. He offered a kind smile at the last, it was not meant to be offensive, he knew that he was lucky that this male was in a fair mood.
53 Posts
Ooc —
Father smiled.

That was all he needed.

Melaneus eased his forehead into his father's gentle affection and decided the reward was worth the effort. He had pleased him, and Melaneus felt good.

Father did not give his name. Melaneus took note of this with the slightest quirk of his head. He wondered why - and if he found words to fit his abstract thoughts, he would ask his father later.

For now he was distracted enough by Rodyn's word that he would leave. His heart felt weighty then - was this sadness? Melaneus would come to name the emotion as such. But he had no word for it now, only the smallest display as his ears drooped in disappointment.

And he looked to his father with a plead in his eyes. As if there was something Vorilye might do to make the stranger stay.
110 Posts
Ooc — The System
Last from me!

Vorilye relaxed. He dipped his head to Rodyn, telling him, "Thank you for understanding. If you wish to visit, please call at our borders." He was ready to leave. He looked down to his son, and saw the pleading look in his eyes. His brow furrowed, and he sighed quietly. "I am sure my son here would like to see you again." For now, however, it was time to leave.

"We must leave, now. I look forward to seeing you again." Vorilye looked to Melaneus. "Come along, son."

Astraios is healthy.

Mental Health (100/100)

Moontide
Alpha*
1,236 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
last from me
Rodyn dipped his head. Of course I'll call next time. And he would if he didn't choose this pack, he still wanted to have good standing with them. Maybe coordinate hunts with them.

He smiled at the youth and bent a little further at his knees.

I'll be back again. I promise. You must keep practicing and show me someday?

He stood and looked to the stranger. Well met stranger. I look forward to the day I've earned your name.
53 Posts
Ooc —
last from me as well! Thanks so much for the thread, I loved it!! <3

Rodyn did not stay, and father beckoned him. Perhaps another would stubbornly refuse, or belligerently demand he get his way. But Melaneus was not a rebellious child, not in this way, anyway. And he loved his father.

And in a way, he would still get what he wanted. Father did not seem upset by Rodyn anymore, and at the stranger’s promise, a smile broke the dark lines of Melaneus’ face and he gave a little nod and a wag of his tail.

They would meet again, and perhaps that day, Rodyn would earn Melaneus’ name as well. But today he had earned his smile, and at father’s command the little boy followed - yet not without throwing a couple glances o et his shoulder to watch Rodyn leave, long after the other had disappeared into the misty shadows.