Sangilak

“We are all eaters of souls.”

Dan Simmons, 'The Terror'

1,192 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
All Welcome 
Tags for reference. Set around the 9th/10th!

Kigipigak kept watch of his sons as they crossed the fields. The expanse went on as far as the eye could see; it would take at least a day, maybe two, for them to cross between the mountains and reach the forest.

At the head of the procession was @Sakhmet; @Cerne and @Amalia ranged beyond them on either side, keeping watch for food or for danger, and being left otherwise to their own devices.

The boys romped. There was ample space for everyone to investigate the area as they pleased, with some more frequent stops if a break was needed. @Akkuma carried a small rabbit skin that had been collected and then tanned, and he could carry items wrapped within it. @Kivaluk had found a particularly large stick and had been dragging it through the field incessantly; this slowed their pace considerably but it was of no consequence to Kigipigak.

By the early evening — when the sun had just reached its golden hour, and the humidity in the air had yet to ease — Kigipigak had broken away from the group to investigate the sprawling forest.

It was here he found the scent of @Lote — he knew her as the lost woman found within the Taiga, back when Moonglow hunted there. Her scent was not alone either.
"Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats."
449 Posts
Ooc —
tagging for reference!

As days quickly spanned into weeks and @Fjall began to sample softened meat, Lótë began to leave the den more frequently -- though this was not to say she shirked her responsibility to the living cub she'd borne. At moment, she'd left her growing son in the more than capable care of @Keyni. It was more than a need to stretch her legs and keep up with things around the Forest. As the season lengthened, the wren had made it known that she had chosen to abstain from bearing her own children; Lótë wished to allow her the chance to have some experience with children, even if she did not have her own to mother. If anything, her sister would be more than prepared should she whelp in the following spring. 

The cloudberry took to patrolling, allowing a moment to simply enjoy the way the sunshine rained warmth upon her fur and to drink in the greenery of the shaded wood in all its splendor -- even if the air seemed weighted with humidity beneath the canopy and her tongue eventually lolled with the heat. All too soon, winter would be upon the threshold of their borders and she would miss brother sun's kinder face. 

As the herd-stalker rounded a bend in the sweet smelling pines, a familiar scent mingled with that of the conifers and brought to mind somewhat unpleasant memories. It was not a mutual feeling for the man whose cologne she had caught -- for Kigipigak was a rather amiable individual, despite his solemn silence. But last Lótë had seen the man, he had found her after the bear attack while she was still delirious with fever. 

Even so, the painter loosed a low call -- alerting the others that family was at the border, should any in the vicinity be concerned and assuring Kigipigak and those who traveled with him that the botanist would come meet them. 

When Lótë caught sight of the pallid he-wolf, she was surprised to see a woman and children with him. A grin broke across her features like sun from behind a cloud as she slowed, trotting up to the family. "Kigipigak! It is good to see your face. In the name of Winterglade, I greet you and your family," Lótë chirped happily as she stopped before the small group, turning to smile at Sakhmet and the growing cubs clustered about him. 

"Are you on your way to Moonglow?"

[Image: tumblr_inline_p7g2ubEPPb1ufb8ej_400.gifv]
367 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Away
Just a cameo <3

While Lote left the den, Keyni remained behind. As Fjall grew older and more aware of his surroundings and those around him, the more she was compelled to be by his side. Today, a call from their borders went up. Lote was informing them that they had company. She tested the air with a sniff and found it laced with familiarity. Her meet up with Kigipigak had been brief, but she remembered him.

She called out softly, to let him and his family know that Lote wasn't the only familiar face within these woods. Her tail thumped gently, happily. He was welcome here of course. 

Stationed just outside the den, she glanced back inside. Checking on Lote's precious son. One cue was all it would take if he wanted any doting.
Napatuqvik
Sangilak

1,192 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Sharing a brief moment of tenderness with his wife, Kigipigak pecked Sakhmet's cheek with his nose and then turned his attention forward, where the sound of a return call spawned from. He smiled and moved away from his family so that he'd be the first to greet the woman as she arrived.

She was warm and inviting to him, to them; and when she asked after Moonglow, Kigipigak nodded. His tail swat the air a few times as he said, We are! I am surprised to find you here but I am glad. What is it you called your village? Winterglade?

It was a forest home which reminded him of Natigvik, and he wondered if there was a winding river here too, but did not ask. Instead he motioned to his wife who had gone to collect the two wandering boys, further afield.

My wife and I, we settled our own village near the glacier. We call it Natigvik! And those two there, our sons, I have brought to show to Kukutux. He is beaming as he returns his eye to Lote.

We intended to cross through the forest — but maybe we will stay here a day or two, if you allow? Who follows you?
Yellowstone
Zeta
106 Posts
Ooc — Van
quick cameo post!

In spite of the fact that Fjall still slept more than he did anything else, he found it difficult to stay or return to sleep whenever his mother would leave, which was happening more often, much to his dismay. The ever-present Keyni was perhaps the next best thing, but she was no Lótë -- no offense.

Still, he was a good boy. He only whimpered a little. But he never stopped looking for her to appear again.

He even tried to imitate Keyni's howl in his mousey voice that carried no further than outside the den. But the woodland pup was sure that this would bring Lótë back, so he continued to watch the denmouth in anticipation, until Keyni came in to distract him from his worry.
449 Posts
Ooc —
"Aya," she confirmed with a bright, beaming grin. "We are Winterglade, sister to Moonglow. We will train hunters and herd-stalkers, star-watchers and rain-trackers, here in the Forest."

This is good news, I'm so happy to hear you have built a village nearby!" Kigi was kin through her ties with Kukutux and to think that the land surrounding Moonglow would soon be home to not three, but four villages of their extended family was music to the cloudberry's ears. 

"Oh, yes, you must stay if it would not delay your travels overmuch," Lótë insisted, though it was clear that he was free to refuse if he wished. "We must celebrate Natigvik and your new family!" It would also give them a chance to discuss the possibility of Natigvik joining in the alliance Winterglade had with Moonglow and Sialuk's pending village -- not to mention catch up on what had happened since they had last seen one another. 

"Winterglade is being founded by myself and my children -- of which I have one young son born this year myself -- as well as Keyni and Makan who were also villagers of Moonglow. Kjalarr has joined as well, we were allies and he was building a village along the sea but has since come to join with us and be closer to our son." Lótë explained all of this quickly as she gestured for the family to follow her deeper into the Forest so they might meet with the rest of her village. 
Napatuqvik
Sangilak

1,192 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
They would stay in the forest for a few days, then. It was good to know there were so many friends in this part of the wilds, and for a moment Kigipigak was envious of the close proximity of villages. He had chosen the river out of need rather than want; Sakhmet had been pregnant at the time and quickly could not travel, but they had made it a home anyway. It wasn't something he could blame anyone for but himself.

Lote spoke quickly of the changes to their life. A son! A growing village soon to be christened. I am glad that your people do so well, he answered earnestly. We will stay with you for some nights, and I will hunt and help your village.

He followed the woman and looked upon the trees with a smile. It was a beautiful place to call home.

Natigvik claims the river beneath the glacier. It is ruled by my wife, as is the custom of my people, but we also have the kind-hearted Amalia, and a seer called Cerne. They are both of great help to us and the boys.

Oh, had he mentioned his sons? Kigipigak was always ready to boast about their growth, their strength, their different personalities — whereas once he might've flaunted his own progress in life, now his focus was the two boys. Akkuma and Kivaluk, the boys, are very close. I do not see them visiting with the adults yet but they are still young. I think they would benefit from friends their own age.
449 Posts
Ooc —
Lótë dipped her head at his promise to help them, knowing it likely wouldn't do much good to argue. Her own people had similar customs. "We would appreciate that, thank you."

The doe's heart sank fractionally when she realized that Kigipigak did not mean the Glacier where Sialuk had found her but the one that Lótë had yet to see for herself -- that which had belonged to Moonglow's allies not so recently. It would have been wonderful for the northener's new village to be closer but it was not such a long trek. Perhaps Kukutux would be interested in making the journey to the Glacier again this winter, or making a tradition of it. 

"Ah well, Fjall is a bit young himself. But perhaps the next time we all meet, the three of them might become good friends, no?" 
Napatuqvik
Sangilak

1,192 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Kigipigak's tail thumped the ground with a brief but happy beat. As much as he pined for home while away from the riverside, he felt a strong resistance to the idea the family would have to leave this valley behind at some point - and the growing Winterglade - to make the return trip.

Thankfully there was no timeline to keep to; the man and his family would play it by ear. Lote sounded pleased with his offer to hunt and provide.

When he is older, he responded, speaking of her new child, You are welcome to visit us anytime. We will hunt and fish, and feast! Maybe even have a contest for the boys. They like their games.

The boys were off in the periphery playing tug-of-war with the stick they had found, although it was Akkuma who heard the mention of a contest and was distracted long enough for Kivaluk to win, and draw away. Kigipigak watched them until they'd gone off to their mother, and the looked with a smile to Lote again.

I should get them settled. It has been quite a journey.